Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
FA: De'Anthony Melton to GSW | 1yr/12.8mil
Free agent De'Anthony Melton plans to sign a one-year, $12.8 million deal with the Golden State Warriors, sources tell
@TheAthletic
@Stadium
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
So, I'm hearing conflicting info about this.

Can the MLE be used on a 1-year, or can it not?

If not, this has to be wrapped up in the Thompson deal somehow, right?
Like Reply
(07-01-2024, 02:34 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: So, I'm hearing conflicting info about this.

Can the MLE be used on a 1-year, or can it not?

If not, this has to be wrapped up in the Thompson deal somehow, right?

Value is exact MLE max value. But, MLE needs to be at least a three year deal (but years two and three could be team options). So it it really is a one year deal, than it would be part of Thompson deal or TPE created from it. Or part of some other deal
[-] The following 1 user Likes omahen's post:
  • KillerLeft
Like Reply
There are no minimum amount of years required for an MLE deal, which is what this is.

So yeah the Warriors can use their MLE for 1 year on Melton with no restrictions.

The issue is if they're trying to do other things that may push them close to the 1st apron.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
[-] The following 1 user Likes SleepingHero's post:
  • KillerLeft
Like Reply
I've got a guy on twitter confidently assuring me that the MLE can be a one-year deal.

Thanks for the clarification!
Like Reply
(07-01-2024, 02:42 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: There are no minimum amount of years required for an MLE deal, which is what this is.

So yeah the Warriors can use their MLE for 1 year on Melton with no restrictions.

The issue is if they're trying to do other things that may push them close to the 1st apron.

And now THIS!
Like Reply
Ok, if you guys say so, than I mixed something up
Like Reply
(07-01-2024, 03:00 PM)omahen Wrote: Ok, if you guys say so, than I mixed something up

I'm asking, not telling. 

I used to really pride myself in trying to understand the CBA back in the db.com days, but it just keeps getting more and more complex. I still understand what I'm reading when guys like Gump and Dan (and yourself) chime in, but I gave up on trying to memorize that stuff a while back. There are always people here who've done the heavy lifting on that part.
Like Reply
(07-01-2024, 03:00 PM)omahen Wrote: Ok, if you guys say so, than I mixed something up

If Melton is acquired via a SnT, then he needs to be guaranteed 3 years. Perhaps that's where the confusion was?

MLE's don't have such restrictions of he was just signed as is. For example, last year the Mavs used the remaining amount of their MLE to sign Seth Curry to a 2 year deal where the 2nd year was non-guaranteed.
Like Reply
I am not offended, if perhaps it sounded like that. I was convinced that is the case, a quick google search didn't really provide me anything. If you have two sources saying otherwise, I totally accept I mixed something up. I am same as you, just too much stuff to memorize everything
[-] The following 2 users Like omahen's post:
  • DallasMaverick, SleepingHero
Like Reply