MavsBoard
2020-2021 MAVS NEWS: Archived - Printable Version

+- MavsBoard (https://www.mavsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Boards (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Dallas Mavericks and the NBA (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: 2020-2021 MAVS NEWS: Archived (/showthread.php?tid=677)

RE: MAVS NEWS: 7th in West | 10th O | 21st D | 13th Net - dynamicalVoid - 04-23-2021

(04-23-2021, 12:24 AM)omahen Wrote: Yeah, sounds logical. Or parents. As long as he would be next to person with Covid he would have to quarantine.

Speaking of snowballing Smile

I deserve that i guess. 

But...whats your take on the issue that is constantly being suggested around here?

No take?  Just dig at others who are trying to make sense of it? 

Why is it constantly being talked about?

Dont care?  Just want to talk basketball.

Ok.  How can this team be taken seriously when they dont seem to try but once in every 15 games?  How come we look really detailed and organized on offense for about one quarter out of every 15 games.   As in...Mavs show that they can exploit a defense and get an open perimeter shot by swinging the ball...but only show it a couple of times every 10 or 15 games?   How come we look like a well oiled defensive unit with good communication once in every 10-15 games but every other game we look like we are a random squad at a pic up rec game?

How can you evaluate a team confidently when, as a team, we show different gears we are capable of but opt to play in 3rd gear instead of 5th or 6th on a regular basis?

Everyone seems to give the same BS explanation of "inconsistency"...but obviously that is not it.

Can you answer that?  How do we evaluate a team that doesnt show their true gears often?

RE: MAVS NEWS: 7th in West | 10th O | 21st D | 13th Net - omahen - 04-23-2021

(04-23-2021, 12:35 AM)dynamicalVoid Wrote: But...whats your take on the issue that is constantly being suggested around here?

No take?  Just dig at others who are trying to make sense of it? 

I guess you don't read my posts a lot Smile I don't think it really is an issue. So what should I discuss then? Smile

And even if it would be an issue - I have zero information. Everything I would do would be pure guessing. 

(04-23-2021, 12:35 AM)dynamicalVoid Wrote: How can this team be taken seriously when they dont seem to try but once in every 15 games? 

I think you exaggerate, ups and downs aren't so darstic and good plays are more often than just once every fifteen games. If I exclude obvious games where injuries and perhaps fatigue are reasons for lesser performance, I think main reason for ups and downs of this team is lack of experience. The team is young. KP is 25 and hasn't won anything in his career. Been to playoff for the first time last season. No slight against him, it is just a fact. Luka has won stuff, but he was never a leader - he had vets around him which kept lockerroom in order. He is 22, one can't expect a 22 year old to be most mature person. I respect a lot what JJB or Bobi did in their career, but I think at this stage they are only cheerleaders, not leaders. Rest of the cast is here to support "stars". 

Based on all this I find it totally logical that this team has strugles. Looks great at times and extremely bad a couple of nights later. But I accept this as something natural, I don't see that as problematic or something I should make a big deal about it. It is not Luka fault, it is not KP fault or anyone else of the players. I am not expecting Luka to be the most mature person or KP to be a seasoned leader. For that you need someone who has been around. So either bring that person or accept all that comes with an inexperienced and immature team. However, if things click correctly at right time Mavs are the kind of young team that has the quality to explode and make an impact. They showed a couple of times they can play really well. I am building on that.

I also think that media and to minor extent fans digging into this matters may actually make them worse. Make a big deal out of something that perhaps isn't that big, before someone started to make it big. I am sure reasonable people can solve anything, especially in a situation where surrounded by so many proffesionals that have the job to help them.  If they are left to solve it. This things can only be solved internally. But media might have different interests - the bigger the problems the bigger the sales.

I was very pleased with Cuban interview in the article. I think everything he said was the right thing to say.

(04-23-2021, 12:29 AM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: Yeah, I mean, wouldn't he have to spend time eating, sleeping, and... other stuff... as well?

Smile

RE: MAVS NEWS: 7th in West | 10th O | 21st D | 13th Net | 3-5 in last 8 - ClutchDirk - 04-23-2021

(04-22-2021, 11:34 PM)Jason Terry Wrote: Straight up DMN propaganda

But even worse is TMZ McMahon and his crap about the Luka KP relationship...

RE: MAVS NEWS: 7th in West | 10th O | 21st D | 13th Net - HanspardsShowerVoice - 04-23-2021

Quote:I only say this because I see Luka as being super social and fun-loving and KP being very mature and reserved from the very brief moments you see these guys not in game.

There might be cultural difference at play too (as there probably were with Jet and Dirk).   Americans tend to put all Euros in the same bucket.   When I've traveled in Slovenia I've found the people very talkative and verbose and social.   I haven't specifically been to Latvia, but I've been to other Eastern European countries and those descriptors wouldn't be the first ones that pop into my head.   Of course I'm painting with a broad brush here, and every individual has their unique attributes.    

RE: MAVS NEWS: 7th in West | 10th O | 21st D | 13th Net - HanspardsShowerVoice - 04-23-2021

Quote:Based on all this I find it totally logical that this team has strugles. Looks great at times and extremely bad a couple of nights later. But I accept this as something natural, I don't see that as problematic or something I should make a big deal about it. It is not Luka fault, it is not KP fault or anyone else of the players. I am not expecting Luka to be the most mature person or KP to be a seasoned leader. For that you need someone who has been around.

I feel like fans really hate the "vet lockerroom player/coach leader" guy as a waste of a roster spot, but maybe there is a reason why really good organizations and even those who have large data and player development departments like the Miami Heat keep Udonis Haslem on the roster year after year after year when he barely plays.  Spoelstra and Riley aren't stupid.   And it doesn't say anything about Jimmy Butler or Bam or Duncan Robinson's lack of intangibles or leadership that the Heat feel the need to keep Haslem on the roster.   We lost that guy in JJB. 

RE: MAVS NEWS: 7th in West | 10th O | 21st D | 13th Net - Hypermav - 04-23-2021

(04-23-2021, 12:20 AM)SleepingHero Wrote: Is this supposed to be a joke because that sentence doesn't appear anywhere in the article.

EDIT: I'm blind. yes its a joke. Ha ha you got me.

I apologize, I should have made it more clear.

RE: MAVS NEWS: 7th in West | 10th O | 21st D | 13th Net - dynamicalVoid - 04-23-2021

(04-23-2021, 02:32 AM)omahen Wrote: I guess you don't read my posts a lot Smile I don't think it really is an issue. So what should I discuss then? Smile

And even if it would be an issue - I have zero information. Everything I would do would be pure guessing. 

I think you exaggerate, ups and downs aren't so darstic and good plays are more often than just once every fifteen games. If I exclude obvious games where injuries and perhaps fatigue are reasons for lesser performance, I think main reason for ups and downs of this team is lack of experience. The team is young. KP is 25 and hasn't won anything in his career. Been to playoff for the first time last season. No slight against him, it is just a fact. Luka has won stuff, but he was never a leader - he had vets around him which kept lockerroom in order. He is 22, one can't expect a 22 year old to be most mature person. I respect a lot what JJB or Bobi did in their career, but I think at this stage they are only cheerleaders, not leaders. Rest of the cast is here to support "stars". 

Based on all this I find it totally logical that this team has strugles. Looks great at times and extremely bad a couple of nights later. But I accept this as something natural, I don't see that as problematic or something I should make a big deal about it. It is not Luka fault, it is not KP fault or anyone else of the players. I am not expecting Luka to be the most mature person or KP to be a seasoned leader. For that you need someone who has been around. So either bring that person or accept all that comes with an inexperienced and immature team. However, if things click correctly at right time Mavs are the kind of young team that has the quality to explode and make an impact. They showed a couple of times they can play really well. I am building on that.

I also think that media and to minor extent fans digging into this matters may actually make them worse. Make a big deal out of something that perhaps isn't that big, before someone started to make it big. I am sure reasonable people can solve anything, especially in a situation where surrounded by so many proffesionals that have the job to help them.  If they are left to solve it. This things can only be solved internally. But media might have different interests - the bigger the problems the bigger the sales.

I was very pleased with Cuban interview in the article. I think everything he said was the right thing to say.

Smile

Thats fair.   I dont care so much about it either but posters on here are constantly talking about it.  And not just talking about it...but suggesting we trade KP because of it.  Not just a few people either.   Its all over the place on this board.  Add on top of that games where Luka refuses to Pass to KP behind the arc even when KP is wide open and Luka will instead take the contested step back 3.   It doesnt make sense.   Again...I have no clue if there is an issue and Im sure you are going to say it just seems like Luka is freezing KP out but isnt.  Because its brought up so much on here I was just trying to get to the bottom of what could be the problem if there is one instead of just leaving it at "personality issue" like everyone does.

Anyway...basketball

Yeah...we are just inconsistent.   We dont exploit mismatches,  dont use Boban against GSW when they dont have anyone over 6'6 playing but we lose the game,  we dont swing the ball around the perimeter to get an open shot(we only do that sometimes - most games we wont swing it but once but in playoffs teams swing it around the perimeter like 5 times as if the ball was a hot potato),  I see them run a well executed play for Maxi to get an open 3 in the corner but we only show organized plays like that once in a blue moon,  Luka isnt doing the drive to the lane, let defense collapse and he then jumps in the air and does a complete 180 and pass the ball to an open guy at the top of the key for a 3(only playoffs for that too i guess?)....and defense...you are going to say that our defense is inconsistent but if you go watch the first Denver game in the 4th quarter we look like a well oiled machine on defense with all our guys communicating and switching seamlessly.  They literally went from 3rd gear to 5th on defense as if a button was pushed by Rick.  How come we dont play defense like that more often?  We have shown we are capable of it.  And...going further with this....how the hell can anyone on here evaluate this team when we dont seem to be playing in a high gear regularly? 

Its because of B2B fatigue and inconsistency...riiight.

I get it...you probably wont respond to this post.    Its just ups and downs.  There is no issue with KP and Luka...its all a psy-op.   Its "fit" why people want KP gone...the personality issue is just made up BS to trick people for whatever reason.  I point out reasons why I think we are playing in 3rd gear but no one wants to say anything about it accept..."We are trying to win...we are just inconsistent or have B2B fatigue".

No serious poster can evaluate this team.   This team could look amazing together in high gear...we dont know.   Instead its constant talk about so and so sucks.   Maybe that player with a team playing in high gear meshes really well and it equates to winning basketball...we dont know.  KP, JRich and WCS suck in our 3rd gear...lets trade them.  "Here...look at these 3rd gear +/- stats...he sucks...lets trade him"

(04-23-2021, 11:58 AM)dynamicalVoid Wrote: I get it...you probably wont respond to this post.    Its just ups and downs.  There is no issue with KP and Luka...its all a psy-op. 

I think I gave an extensive reply with reasons why I think Mavs are as they are. I don't know anything I could add. I have no idea what is going on or not behind the scenes, can't provide any opinion on this.

RE: MAVS NEWS: 7th in West | 10th O | 21st D | 13th Net - jesusshuttlesworth82 - 04-23-2021

I don’t think KP and Luka is an unfixable type situation but it’s obvious there is no on court or off court chemistry. They do not make each other better like one would have thought. So if KP has the kind of trade value Mavs fans seem to think he does, shopping him around is a no brainer. 

I personally don’t think his trade value what others do. CJ Mccollum is the only realistic name I’ve seen. Bad fit, pseudo star. 

I don’t think you get Halliburton and Holmes, or Turner and Brogdon, or Wiseman and MIN pick. 

We need a Bulls type partner. Big market team desperate to win. And the Bulls didn’t give up any great players to get Vucevic. WCJ and picks. For those reasons, I think KP likely stays here.

(04-23-2021, 01:46 PM)jesusshuttlesworth82 Wrote: And the Bulls didn’t give up any great players to get Vucevic.

Orlando wasn't looking for great players but young prospects and picks. Wiseman and Minny 1st is that. Haliburton and pick(s) is that. Holmes is a free agent anyway, Mavs can sign him if they like him

Right.  It's hard to do direct correlation of trade costs from team to teams based on previous trades when the teams have different needs and timelines and priorities.    Portland has no use for the collection of future protected draft picks that the Magic got for Vuc or the Pels got for Jrue got when they have a 30 year old face-of-the-franchise Superstar that they're trying to build around for his remaining prime years.

https://twitter.com/MikeLeslieWFAA/status/1385706881843298306?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1385706881843298306%7Ctwgr%5E%7Ctwcon%5Es1_&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fbleacherreport.com%2Fdallas-mavericks

(04-23-2021, 02:32 AM)omahen Wrote: I guess you don't read my posts a lot Smile I don't think it really is an issue. So what should I discuss then? Smile

Smile

I exaggerate...when I provide proof of plays and situations that Mavs seem to do the opposite of what it takes to win?

But you can just claim "fatigue"

OK

RE: MAVS NEWS: 6th in West | 10th O | 21st D | 13th Net - Kammrath - 04-23-2021

https://twitter.com/townbrad/status/1385812732650287110

RE: MAVS NEWS: 6th in West | 10th O | 21st D | 13th Net - ClutchDirk - 04-24-2021

(04-23-2021, 11:32 PM)Kammrath Wrote: https://twitter.com/townbrad/status/1385812732650287110

https://media.giphy.com/media/3o7abldj0b3rxrZUxW/giphy.gif

RE: MAVS NEWS: 6th in West | 10th O | 21st D | 13th Net - ItsGoTime - 04-24-2021

Here’s another reason a tight schedule is bad. When you’re in a slump, it becomes a lot of games played during that time. Blazers and Mavs trying to get out of their slump. Whoever does it fastest is prob out of the play ins.

RE: MAVS NEWS: 6th in West | 10th O | 21st D | 13th Net - ClutchDirk - 04-24-2021

https://twitter.com/bobbykaralla/status/1385862404848881666

RE: MAVS NEWS: 6th in West | 10th O | 21st D | 13th Net - StepBackJay - 04-24-2021

Hellz ya 6th place.

RE: MAVS NEWS: 6th in West | 10th O | 21st D | 13th Net - LukTheShadow - 04-24-2021

https://dmn-dallas-news-prod.cdn.arcpublishing.com/resizer/eAeRL2P-QcEcdrozOuX-IRLkj-g=/930x0/smart/filters:no_upscale()/cloudfront-us-east-1.images.arcpublishing.com/dmn/SZPSFI6KXFD6PHOY6ZMRBL6CDI.png

RE: MAVS NEWS: 6th in West | 10th O | 21st D | 13th Net - DanSchwartzgan - 04-24-2021

Portland is 2-8 in their last 10 with Memphis, GS and San Antonio within 2 1/2.  GS has been the hottest of those at 7-3 in their last 10, but Portland owns the season series against GS.

LAC is 9-1 in their last 10 and a half game behind Phoenix.  It feels like they can pick their opponent (7th or 6th seed) as good as they are playing.  Meanwhile, another injury issue for Denver.  They are winning since the Murray injury, but lost last night without Murray or Barton.  If you are LAL, do you fight to stay 5th and catch a wounded Denver in the first round?  Or, allow yourself to fall to sixth and potentially face LAC and at best Phoenix?  My guess in the former and I suspect they will come out fighting tonight.
  • Will Barton suffered a right hamstring strain on Friday vs. the Warriors and will not return. 
    He picked up the injury in the first minute and immediately knew something was wrong. This is awful news for a Denver team that can't seem to catch a break in the injury department. Look for P.J. Dozier and Austin Rivers to pick up some minutes in the meantime, and hopefully we'll know more regarding Barton's status soon. 

SOURCE: Harrison Wind
    Apr 23, 2021, 10:26 PM ET