MavsBoard
2020-2021 MAVS NEWS: Archived - Printable Version

+- MavsBoard (https://www.mavsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Boards (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Dallas Mavericks and the NBA (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: 2020-2021 MAVS NEWS: Archived (/showthread.php?tid=677)

RE: MAVS NEWS: 7th in West (1.5 gms back of 6th) | 10th O | 15th D | 11th Net - SleepingHero - 04-14-2021

(04-14-2021, 10:59 AM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: THJ + Richardson sharing the floor has been a problem all season long. -112 in 706 minutes. By far the worst two man combination that is playing major minutes. Offfense tanks when both share the floor. 108.5 O-rating. 114.2 D-Rating. -5.7 net rating. Worst among all two-man combinations that played more than 300 minutes.
56.6% TS when both are on the floor. Again.Worst among all two-man combinations that played more than 300 minutes. Also rank in the bottom 5 in ast/tov ratio and rebounding rate.

Just a terrible fit. Not enough shot creation on offense. A SG sized wing defending the opposing SF on defense. Two below average rebounders playing next to each other.

I wonder if Carlisle is going to right that issue by inserting Redick for one of JR/THJ. Given that Redick still has that gravity I'd imagine it let either one operate easier.

RE: MAVS NEWS: 7th in West (1.5 gms back of 6th) | 10th O | 15th D | 11th Net - Kammrath - 04-14-2021

(04-14-2021, 02:56 PM)BasketballJones41 Wrote: The Luka hate is getting weird.

Let me be clear, I have ZERO hate for Luka (in fact if anything I am a blind, biased fanboy). But I do think he has two issues:

1) Maturity.

2) Fitness/conditioning/diet. 

I 100% get he is a kid and we need to have patience with him, but it doesn't change the fact that these ARE the issues at the moment with him.

RE: MAVS NEWS: 7th in West (1.5 gms back of 6th) | 10th O | 15th D | 11th Net - BasketballJones41 - 04-14-2021

(04-14-2021, 03:41 PM)Kammrath Wrote: Let me be clear, I have ZERO hate for Luka (in fact if anything I am a blind, biased fanboy). But I do think he has two issues:

1) Maturity.

2) Fitness/conditioning/diet. 

I 100% get he is a kid and we need to have patience with him, but it doesn't change the fact that these ARE the issues at the moment with him.
I agree with you. I found your criticisms to be reasonable and probably accurate. My post was more of an observation on what I’ve seen in the game chat lately and a couple of post I’ve seen on the board today. In fact very rarely do I ever find myself in disagreement with you.

RE: MAVS NEWS: 7th in West (1.5 gms back of 6th) | 10th O | 15th D | 11th Net - ItsGoTime - 04-14-2021

(04-14-2021, 03:41 PM)Kammrath Wrote: 1) Maturity.
A lot of issues can be lumped into this 1 criticism. Those multiple things could be construed as hate too.

RE: MAVS NEWS: 7th in West (1.5 gms back of 6th) | 10th O | 15th D | 11th Net - KillerLeft - 04-14-2021

There is some good and unusually balanced discussion about Luka going on in this thread. We all love him so much it's kind of difficult to bring up even minor criticisms around here for fear of striking the wrong chord. 

Nevertheless, I think both @"F Gump" and @"Kammrath" make valid points. Luka does need to get better about his conditioning. Luka does need to do (even) better on the floor, understanding that he's the leader of the team and the wins or losses are going to rest ultimately on his shoulders. Luka does need to learn to keep the refs out of his thinking during play, and not to hang his head after missing a shot, letting his man beat him back down the floor. 

All of those things are true, imho, and it's STILL clear that he's a special, once-in-a-generation talent. 

Here's the thing that I don't think people are fully understanding: HE IS 22. I've been writing over and over for like a year that all of this contention talk and all of these super high expectations are premature. Luka is putting up top 5 numbers because he's phenomenal and because he landed on a team fully willing to go all in on building around him. But, in the last five minutes of a close, meaningful game, he's not a top 5 player yet. It couldn't be more clear, imo. He's a 22 year old kid. I mean, at this point, he's almost a lock to literally throw the ball directly to a defender a couple of times per game. He's still dribbling into triple teams down the stretch. He's amazing, so it works sometimes, but this notion that he ALWAYS makes the right play rings false. 

Between now and say age 26 (?), my dude is going to improve. A LOT. Most of that improvement is going to happen between the ears, and I don't think it's selling his current level short to say so. It's AMAZING that he's this effective at this age, and pulling a team from where the Mavs were in 2018 up to where they are now is no small thing. But, getting from where they are now to where the top 4-5 teams are is probably even more difficult, and it's not ONLY about adding other talented players to the roster. 

I've said it before, but I really feel this way: it's like we're waiting in line at six flags. A little patience is all we need.

RE: MAVS NEWS: 7th in West (1.5 gms back of 6th) | 10th O | 15th D | 11th Net - cow - 04-14-2021

(04-14-2021, 03:45 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote: A lot of issues can be lumped into this 1 criticism. Those multiple things could be construed as hate too.

Being critical of someone isn't hate.  Part of the issue without society today is wanting to lump everything into black or white when there is a lot of grey in-between.  Luka could have a better body right now and stay in condition year round.  He might need another early exit or two from the playoffs to figure that out.  We do know he is a competitor so he'll figure this out much like Jordan did after getting manhandled by Detroit so many seasons.  Maybe Carlisle needs to tweak his minutes a bit in the short term.  In the long term, as the team gets better, his usage should hopefully go down which will help on the wear and tear aspect.

RE: MAVS NEWS: 7th in West (1.5 gms back of 6th) | 10th O | 15th D | 11th Net - KillerLeft - 04-14-2021

(04-14-2021, 04:20 PM)cow Wrote: We do know he is a competitor so he'll figure this out much like Jordan did after getting manhandled by Detroit so many seasons.

Exactly.

RE: MAVS NEWS: 7th in West (1.5 gms back of 6th) | 10th O | 15th D | 11th Net - Kammrath - 04-14-2021

https://twitter.com/TimCowlishaw/status/1382441596931612676

RE: MAVS NEWS: 7th in West (1.5 gms back of 6th) | 10th O | 15th D | 11th Net - cow - 04-14-2021

(04-14-2021, 03:58 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: I've said it before, but I really feel this way: it's like we're waiting in line at six flags. A little patience is all we need.

Growing up, my buddy's mom worked for Six Flags.  I got to go to the park on a Friends and Family day.  Lines are for suckers.  :p

(04-14-2021, 04:24 PM)Kammrath Wrote: https://twitter.com/TimCowlishaw/status/1382441596931612676

I do wonder if Cuban would be as vocal if we were the 6th seed or better.

RE: MAVS NEWS: 7th in West (1.5 gms back of 6th) | 10th O | 15th D | 11th Net - BasketballJones41 - 04-14-2021

(04-14-2021, 03:58 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: There is some good and unusually balanced discussion about Luka going on in this thread. We all love him so much it's kind of difficult to bring up even minor criticisms around here for fear of striking the wrong chord. 

Nevertheless, I think both @"F Gump" and @"Kammrath" make valid points. Luka does need to get better about his conditioning. Luka does need to do (even) better on the floor, understanding that he's the leader of the team and the wins or losses are going to rest ultimately on his shoulders. Luka does need to learn to keep the refs out of his thinking during play, and not to hang his head after missing a shot, letting his man beat him back down the floor. 

All of those things are true, imho, and it's STILL clear that he's a special, once-in-a-generation talent. 

Here's the thing that I don't think people are fully understanding: HE IS 22. I've been writing over and over for like a year that all of this contention talk and all of these super high expectations are premature. Luka is putting up top 5 numbers because he's phenomenal and because he landed on a team fully willing to go all in on building around him. But, in the last five minutes of a close, meaningful game, he's not a top 5 player yet. It couldn't be more clear, imo. He's a 22 year old kid. I mean, at this point, he's almost a lock to literally throw the ball directly to a defender a couple of times per game. He's still dribbling into triple teams down the stretch. He's amazing, so it works sometimes, but this notion that he ALWAYS makes the right play rings false. 

Between now and say age 26 (?), my dude is going to improve. A LOT. Most of that improvement is going to happen between the ears, and I don't think it's selling his current level short to say so. It's AMAZING that he's this effective at this age, and pulling a team from where the Mavs were in 2018 up to where they are now is no small thing. But, getting from where they are now to where the top 4-5 teams are is probably even more difficult, and it's not ONLY about adding other talented players to the roster. 

I've said it before, but I really feel this way: it's like we're waiting in line at six flags. A little patience is all we need.
I think Kam’s criticisms were very valid. And I very rarely disagree with you but I’m going to on a couple of your above points. I think the majority of mistakes that Luka makes in the last five minutes of a game has more to do with his lack of help in the back court. He has to work so hard to carry them most nights just to keep the game close. And at the end of games when defense tightens nobody else in our back court ever steps up. When one player is all you have to worry about that becomes pretty easy to defend no matter how good that one guy is. That’s not to say that his youth doesn’t cost him from time to time because I believe it does. I just don’t believe it plays as big a role as you do.

I think your part right when you talk about the need for patience and that building this thing is going to take a little bit more time. I just disagree on how much time we’re talking. I think Luka is going to be ready to compete much sooner rather than later. It’s all going to come down to whether the MBT can put the right team around him. But man if we can ever get that right cast around him I think that he can bring us multiple titles.

(04-14-2021, 04:20 PM)cow Wrote: Being critical of someone isn't hate.  Part of the issue without society today is wanting to lump everything into black or white when there is a lot of grey in-between.  Luka could have a better body right now and stay in condition year round.  He might need another early exit or two from the playoffs to figure that out.  We do know he is a competitor so he'll figure this out much like Jordan did after getting manhandled by Detroit so many seasons.  Maybe Carlisle needs to tweak his minutes a bit in the short term.  In the long term, as the team gets better, his usage should hopefully go down which will help on the wear and tear aspect.
Being critical is absolutely not hate. It’s even fair in a lot of instances. I just think that some of the criticisms he’s receiving are off-base.

(04-14-2021, 04:29 PM)BasketballJones41 Wrote: I think Luca is going to be ready to compete much sooner rather than later. It’s all going to come down to whether the MBT can put the right team around him. But man if we can ever get that right cast around him I think that he can bring us multiple titles.

Yeah, that's fair enough, and you might be right. I hope so. I'm not married to any predictions of the time needed, I'm only pushing back on the idea that Luka is ready now, so the record must either be on the other players or the coach. I think a significant portion of the team's growing pains we're witnessing is caused by the blatant fact that the team's star is going through growing pains of his own. Seems like we agree on that.

(04-14-2021, 04:32 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: Yeah, that's fair enough, and you might be right. I hope so. I'm not married to any predictions of the time needed, I'm only pushing back on the idea that Luka is ready now, so the record must either be on the other players or the coach. I think a significant portion of the team's growing pains we're witnessing is caused by the blatant fact that the team's star is going through growing pains of his own. Seems like we agree on that.
No doubt he’s going through some growing pains. Conditioning and shot selection would be my two biggest critiques. Along with maybe bringing more effort and energy against bad teams. I may be on the opposite end of the spectrum and am just looking at him through rose colored glasses but I believe he’s going to figure it all out pretty quickly. And our lack of talent around him is a much bigger problem than anything he’s doing or not doing. But I definitely won’t deny that he’s having growing pains in some ways.

RE: MAVS NEWS: 7th in West (1.5 gms back of 6th) | 10th O | 15th D | 11th Net - Jason Terry - 04-14-2021

(04-14-2021, 03:58 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: There is some good and unusually balanced discussion about Luka going on in this thread. We all love him so much it's kind of difficult to bring up even minor criticisms around here for fear of striking the wrong chord. 

For sure. We all need to constantly remind ourselves to pump the breaks. Luka is a top 5 talent but not quite a top 10 player in the NBA yet. The numbers and accolades are misleading at times. The last 5 minutes of games just mean so much more and he constantly gets into bad habits late in games. The hanging his head low and jogging back after a turnover. Him letting the refs control his mood. These things rub off on the team as a whole. It affects the other players on the team too. He will learn though. 

One thing i think will improve beginning next year is his conditioning. I think he knows now how big of a deal it is and he will have a true offseason this year to make it better. 

It may be best to keep the team mostly intact. Keep adding the right guys around Luka, but preserve continuity to help Luka grow/develop personally. The NBA seems to keep adjusting to how we play Luka. He just needs to keep growing

RE: MAVS NEWS: 7th in West (1.5 gms back of 6th) | 10th O | 15th D | 11th Net - DrMav - 04-14-2021

Let’s also not ignore the fact that the refs are allowing Luka to be assaulted this year. Yeah he needs better conditioning and such, but if he wasn’t being physically beat up to this degree, he also probably wouldn’t pick up lingering injuries and wear down.

https://twitter.com/MFollowill/status/1382547052572200963

(04-14-2021, 09:38 PM)DrMav Wrote: Let’s also not ignore the fact that the refs are allowing Luka to be assaulted this year. Yeah he needs better conditioning and such, but if he wasn’t being physically beat up to this degree, he also probably wouldn’t pick up lingering injuries and wear down.

VERY true.

https://twitter.com/BallySportsSW/status/1382544008119996416

So who is in the picture?

[Image: Ey_LjebXIBIpMPx?format=jpg&name=large]

RE: MAVS NEWS: 7th in West (1.5 gms back of 6th) | 10th O | 15th D | 11th Net - Hypermav - 04-14-2021

I am done with brick throwing one trick ponies.  Can we get some 2 way, three hitting, above average starters in here?  Just be consistent, is that so hard.

https://twitter.com/CallieCaplan/status/1382547236995801088