MavsBoard
2020-2021 MAVS NEWS: Archived - Printable Version

+- MavsBoard (https://www.mavsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Boards (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Dallas Mavericks and the NBA (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: 2020-2021 MAVS NEWS: Archived (/showthread.php?tid=677)

RE: MAVS NEWS: 7th in West | 9th O | 23rd D | 9th Net | 15-7 over last 22 games - KillerLeft - 03-27-2021

(03-27-2021, 11:28 AM)chaparral Wrote: Would this board been happy this past offseason if the deal was 3 SRP's and Wright straight up for Redick?

Holy crap - I would have been. Getting Redick for a full year, on an expiring contract, instead of Johnson, right as Curry is going out the door in exchange for Richardson?

I would've gone HARD on that kool-aid.

RE: MAVS NEWS: 7th in West | 9th O | 23rd D | 9th Net | 15-7 over last 22 games - omahen - 03-27-2021

(03-27-2021, 11:28 AM)chaparral Wrote: Our MBT needs to start thinking more like Omahen. 

Just to explain. I am not trying to predict what Mavs will do. I have no idea about that. I am playing fantasy GM what I would try to do.

RE: MAVS NEWS: 7th in West | 9th O | 23rd D | 9th Net | 15-7 over last 22 games - chaparral - 03-27-2021

(03-27-2021, 11:34 AM)KillerLeft Wrote: Holy crap - I would have been. Getting Redick for a full year, on an expiring contract, instead of Johnson, right as Curry is going out the door in exchange for Richardson?

I would've gone HARD on that kool-aid.

Really, what flavor kool-aid?  

So do you like the deal as is, JJ - WI and 2021 SRP for JJR and Melli?

RE: MAVS NEWS: 7th in West | 9th O | 23rd D | 9th Net | 15-7 over last 22 games - KillerLeft - 03-27-2021

(03-27-2021, 11:46 AM)chaparral Wrote: So do you like the deal as is, JJ - WI and 2021 SRP for JJR and Melli?

I do. 

They were going to be unable to use the pick, due to carrying a large number of rookies right now. Since all of them seem like they deserve to graduate to year 2, I'd say creating a roster spot for another rookie next year was going to be quite difficult. I know we had our hopes up for a top 5-7 in the rotation type, but the reality is that with only Johnson and a couple of 2nd rounders to trade, there really wasn't a deal like that to be had. 

I think it kind of sucks that the rental they chose has a pre-existing injury, reducing the return they'll get on their rental price, but if/when he gets healthy I think the potential for him here is well worth what they paid. It was either something like this or let Johnson expire, and people here would've MURDERED them for that. Johnson and Iwundu had no future here, and weren't going to help this season. Redick probably will (although to what extent is anyone's guess) and Melli might, too. 

Once you get over the natural desire to compare this to what we hoped they'd be able to do, I think this trade is perfectly fine.

RE: MAVS NEWS: 7th in West | 9th O | 23rd D | 9th Net | 15-7 over last 22 games - chaparral - 03-27-2021

(03-27-2021, 11:37 AM)omahen Wrote: Just to explain. I am not trying to predict what Mavs will do. I have no idea about that. I am playing fantasy GM what I would try to do.

I wish the MBT would of picked up on your JRich/Horford pitch this past offseason.  You have some good ideas.  As well as Dan - I have been a fan of his ideas for many moons.

But I guess in the real world of NBA GMing things aren't as easy as typing deals here on MavsForum.  Cant imagen anybody on this board having the personality or really being like Danny Ange.

(03-27-2021, 11:37 AM)omahen Wrote: Just to explain. I am not trying to predict what Mavs will do. I have no idea about that. I am playing fantasy GM what I would try to do.

Yeah, and you're really good at it. I love reading your stuff, as it's very focused and specific. 

But, I do think Dan's onto something here. I also feel like there's a financial bottom line involved, and that Cuban has absolutely no desire to pay the luxury tax ever again, if he can avoid it. Maybe if Luka is 29 and the team has just been in the finals or conference finals 2-3 times, but he has said pretty consistently that he believes being so reckless with spending as Dirk and Nash were coming up was a mistake. Whether we agree or not, I'd say this new, thriftier Mavs approach is going to be around for awhile. I obviously don't know that what I'm saying is true, but everything they do makes more sense to me if I view it through that lens.

(03-27-2021, 11:55 AM)KillerLeft Wrote: I do. 

They were going to be unable to use the pick, due to carrying a large number of rookies right now. Since all of them seem like they deserve to graduate to year 2, I'd say creating a roster spot for another rookie next year was going to be quite difficult. I know we had our hopes up for a top 5-7 in the rotation type, but the reality is that with only Johnson and a couple of 2nd rounders to trade, there really wasn't a deal like that to be had. 

I think it kind of sucks that the rental they chose has a pre-existing injury, reducing the return they'll get on their rental price, but if/when he gets healthy I think the potential for him here is well worth what they paid. It was either something like this or let Johnson expire, and people here would've MURDERED them for that. Johnson and Iwundu had no future here, and weren't going to help this season. Redick probably will (although to what extent is anyone's guess) and Melli might, too. 

Once you get over the natural desire to compare this to what we hoped they'd be able to do, I think this trade is perfectly fine.

The MBT sold us on playoff enforcer JJ.  Someone who could equalize the Harrell's and Morris's of the LA world.  Aren't we still going to need that person?  Is there a buyout player soon to be coming to fill that need?  If so, then I'll be OK as well.

(03-27-2021, 12:12 PM)chaparral Wrote: The MBT sold us on playoff enforcer JJ.  Someone who could equalize the Harrell's and Morris's of the LA world.  Aren't we still going to need that person?  Is there a buyout player soon to be coming to fill that need?  If so, then I'll be OK as well.

Well, I'm not saying that's not a need at all, but I don't think it's quite as important as some do, personally. And really, what was Johnson going to do from the bench? Maybe they were blowing sun up our rears and trying to make him feel important, or maybe they really thought he had a chance of earning a rotation spot and thought he'd have a toughness impact. Either way, once it became clear he was hurting the team when he played and almost certainly wouldn't be in the top 8 rotation, any possibility of him providing toughness kind of flew out the window.

RE: MAVS NEWS: 7th in West | 9th O | 23rd D | 9th Net | 15-7 over last 22 games - ItsGoTime - 03-27-2021

(03-27-2021, 12:02 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: but everything they do makes more sense to me if I view it through that lens.
Sans Powell, the exception to the rule.

(03-27-2021, 12:49 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote: Sans Powell, the exception to the rule.

It proves the rule, imo. They paid him like a very cost-effective 5th starter, which is what they believed him to be.

RE: MAVS NEWS: 7th in West | 9th O | 23rd D | 9th Net | 15-7 over last 22 games - Kammrath - 03-27-2021

https://twitter.com/dallasmavs/status/1375894909660626948

RE: MAVS NEWS: 7th in West | 9th O | 23rd D | 9th Net | 15-7 over last 22 games - Chicagojk - 03-27-2021

(03-27-2021, 03:19 PM)Kammrath Wrote: https://twitter.com/dallasmavs/status/1375894909660626948
 Must be a Donnie tweet Smile

[Image: Ne1984.jpg]

RE: MAVS NEWS: 7th in West | 9th O | 23rd D | 9th Net | 15-7 over last 22 games - Mavs2021 - 03-27-2021

(03-27-2021, 12:12 PM)chaparral Wrote: The MBT sold us on playoff enforcer JJ.  Someone who could equalize the Harrell's and Morris's of the LA world.  Aren't we still going to need that person?  Is there a buyout player soon to be coming to fill that need?  If so, then I'll be OK as well.

Guess what they lied. James Johnson is a 36 year old 4th string PF/C, who is still in the league because he has a valid contract.

RE: MAVS NEWS: 7th in West | 11th O | 23rd D | 10th Net | 15-7 over last 22 games - ItsGoTime - 03-27-2021

(03-27-2021, 12:55 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: It proves the rule, imo. They paid him like a very cost-effective 5th starter, which is what they believed him to be.
How much was McGee paid to get a championship with the Lakers? There are others in that conversation, just don't want to do the research to figure it out. Powell has been the soft spot of the FO. I mean, the quote about them not wanting a Rondo II situation again says they still think about it often enough to publicly talk about it. Yes you can explain that away because it has to do with a possible underlying subconscious issue, but Powell was not the droid they were looking for (in the spot they wanted him to be in, man I wish they would have just paid and played him like the bench player he is) then and especially not now.

RE: MAVS NEWS: 7th in West | 11th O | 23rd D | 10th Net | 15-7 over last 22 games - KillerLeft - 03-27-2021

(03-27-2021, 03:51 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote: but Powell was not the droid they were looking for

I'll never agree with your assessment pre-injury, but he certainly isn't that guy now. Regardless of who's correct in the argument, I'd say we're in lock step about the reality of today.

RE: MAVS NEWS: 8th in West (3.5 gms back of 6th) | 11th O | 23rd D | 10th Net - Kammrath - 03-27-2021

Mavs pretty deeply entrenched in the play-in tournament.

Mavs are 3.5 games from 6th and avoiding the tournament...they are 3.5 games from 11th and missing the playoffs.

...what a depressing and disappointing season so far.

[Image: giphy.gif]

RE: MAVS NEWS: 8th in West (3.5 gms back of 6th) | 11th O | 23rd D | 10th Net - loki - 03-27-2021

In all seriousness, I'm assuming Luka was actually sick tonight and I understand they need to protect KP on a back to back. But I hope Rick can avoid the too-many-dimensional chess games the rest of the season.

[Image: 41C8Xjv.jpeg]

RE: MAVS NEWS: 8th in West (3.5 gms back of 6th) | 11th O | 23rd D | 10th Net - cow - 03-28-2021

Any news on Luka's back?  (assuming that's what kept him out again)

Not to second guess too much, but if I'm holding Luka out because of an injury and I know I'm not going to play KP in back-to-back games, I'd probably have sat him for Indy and played him against NO.  I thought the team put up an admirable performance tonight given the circumstances.

RE: MAVS NEWS: 8th in West (3.5 gms back of 6th) | 11th O | 23rd D | 10th Net - sefant - 03-28-2021

(03-01-2021, 09:46 PM)Kammrath Wrote: https://twitter.com/NickVanExit/status/1366579868721434627

(03-28-2021, 12:00 AM)cow Wrote: Any news on Luka's back?  (assuming that's what kept him out again)

Not to second guess too much, but if I'm holding Luka out because of an injury and I know I'm not going to play KP in back-to-back games, I'd probably have sat him for Indy and played him against NO.  I thought the team put up an admirable performance tonight given the circumstances.

Vaccine side effect?

Wasn't there news that the Mavs front office asked Silver to get permission for the vaccine 1 or 2 weeks ago. Now a lot of teams got it, but no Mavs news since for the Vaccine. Seems odd.

RE: MAVS NEWS: 8th in West (3.5 gms back of 6th) | 11th O | 23rd D | 10th Net - Time Machine Dirk - 03-28-2021

(03-28-2021, 03:10 AM)sefant Wrote: Vaccine side effect?

Wasn't there news that the Mavs front office asked Silver to get permission for the vaccine 1 or 2 weeks ago. Now a lot of teams got it, but no Mavs news since for the Vaccine. Seems odd.

Did you watch the Minnesota game? Luka was clearly not 100 %. He was clearly hobbling when he got back in the game in the 4th. It really is his back and nothing else. Now, Porzingis did probably just rest in a second night of a back to back, which I am - given the circumstances and the Mavs being in 8th place now - not a big fan of.

But good to know that the players may get vaccinated before the playoffs.