MavsBoard
2020-2021 MAVS NEWS: Archived - Printable Version

+- MavsBoard (https://www.mavsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Boards (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Dallas Mavericks and the NBA (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: 2020-2021 MAVS NEWS: Archived (/showthread.php?tid=677)

RE: MAVS NEWS: RC says Luka "working hard," "trending positive" in conditioning - Mapka - 01-02-2021

(01-02-2021, 05:06 AM)cow Wrote: I'm starting to wonder if Luka has more Shaq in him than he does Kobe. 

If I'm coaching against Dallas, I'm going to pack the paint and dare Luka to shoot from the outside.

This plan might sound better than it is. If you are packing the paint, you aren't daring Luka but his teammates and on any given day there is a chance THJ or Burke getting in their grove and being a supernova. 

You are also giving up long rebounds and have to live with the following chaos.

RE: MAVS NEWS: RC says Luka "working hard," "trending positive" in conditioning - SleepingHero - 01-02-2021

(01-02-2021, 05:06 AM)cow Wrote: I'm starting to wonder if Luka has more Shaq in him than he does Kobe.

A motivated Shaq would have won at least 6 titles. Luka definitely seems to be more motivated regarding basketball than Shaq ever was. So I'm cool with that comparison  Big Grin

Also
(01-02-2021, 05:06 AM)cow Wrote: If I'm coaching against Dallas, I'm going to pack the paint and dare Luka to shoot from the outside.

This is exactly why I want to get Buddy. Having a lethal shooter like him means you cannot pack the paint which gives Luka better spacing.

RE: MAVS NEWS: RC says Luka "working hard," "trending positive" in conditioning - BigDirk41 - 01-02-2021

(01-02-2021, 12:28 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: A motivated Shaq would have won at least 6 titles. Luka definitely seems to be more motivated regarding basketball than Shaq ever was. So I'm cool with that comparison  Big Grin

Also

This is exactly why I want to get Buddy. Having a lethal shooter like him means you cannot pack the paint which gives Luka better spacing.
It's too early to say if Luka has more Shaq than Kobe in him or vice versa. I will say I don't see how anyone could compare him to Kobe yet. It's pretty well known MJ and Kobe had 2 of the best work ethics of all time. Luka is extremely competitive on the court, but so was Shaq. Shaq's problem was he wouldn't put in the time off the court to keep his body right. Had Shaq had Kobe or MJ's mindset, he would probably have been considered a top 3-5 player of all time. He probably would have won 6 titles like previously mentioned. I'm not ready to say Luka is one or the other yet, but I don't see how anyone could think he's Kobe like yet. Maybe he will be. Time will tell.

RE: MAVS NEWS: RC says Luka "working hard," "trending positive" in conditioning - cow - 01-02-2021

(01-02-2021, 12:28 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: A motivated Shaq would have won at least 6 titles. Luka definitely seems to be more motivated regarding basketball than Shaq ever was. So I'm cool with that comparison  Big Grin

Shaq was an all time great and he's had an amazingly fun love.  I do kind of wonder how great he could have been if he had Kobe's work ethic.  I doubt he would trade the fun he's had for that level of dedication.

(01-02-2021, 12:49 PM)BigDirk41 Wrote: It's too early to say if Luka has more Shaq than Kobe in him or vice versa. I will say I don't see how anyone could compare him to Kobe yet. It's pretty well known MJ and Kobe had 2 of the best work ethics of all time. Luka is extremely competitive on the court, but so was Shaq. Shaq's problem was he wouldn't put in the time off the court to keep his body right. Had Shaq had Kobe or MJ's mindset, he would probably have been considered a top 3-5 player of all time. He probably would have won 6 titles like previously mentioned. I'm not ready to say Luka is one or the other yet, but I don't see how anyone could think he's Kobe like yet. Maybe he will be. Time will tell.

Luka's been out of shape to start the season two out of this three years. We can make excuses for his rookie year (though he'd been a pro for years prior) and this year due to the funky schedule, but it's extremely troublesome how bad he's looked physically this year.

RE: MAVS NEWS: RC says Luka "working hard," "trending positive" in conditioning - F Gump - 01-02-2021

(01-02-2021, 12:21 AM)KillerLeft Wrote: Is this:

A) Luka/Burke/Brunson not converting in the paint as much as we'd hoped they would, or...

B) Teams sensing that the 3-ball is an early season weakness and defending them accordingly?

I think it's mostly the first - the guards ability to finish at the rim this season - which then makes the spacing worse and the 3-ball is harder to make.

I see a Luka who is less explosive, and isn't able to get to the layup or dunk and finish it, and then that leads to him settling for the kickout way too easily. This could come from conditioning. But it could also comes from something like a slightly-sprained ankle that he's trying to keep from stressing.

But all the possibilities are synergistic -  all tied together.

If Luka can't make 3s, his defender can go under on the PNR. That removes the ability of the roll man from being a threat to attack the basket, and further clogs Luka and others from getting to the rim. (If I'm game-planning the Mavs, I'm sagging off Luka and going under every pick, daring him to shoot 3's, clogging everything else up, until there's a reason to do otherwise.)

If other shooters are missing 3s, the defense can sag on Luka and others when they drive, keeping them from finishing at the rim.

If Powell can't elevate like before, and other roll men aren't as good at PNR, then defenders don't have to stay at home on him when guards penetrate and head towards the basket.

If the pick isn't getting any action, the pick guy sets a lazier pick, or slips the pick, trying to get the pass, and it further clogs the lane.

RE: MAVS NEWS: RC says Luka "working hard," "trending positive" in conditioning - KillerLeft - 01-02-2021

@"F Gump", good stuff. 

More you.

RE: MAVS NEWS: RC says Luka "working hard," "trending positive" in conditioning - ItsGoTime - 01-02-2021

(01-02-2021, 02:56 PM)F Gump Wrote: I think it's mostly the first - the guards ability to finish at the rim this season - which then makes the spacing worse and the 3-ball is harder to make.

I see a Luka who is less explosive, and isn't able to get to the layup or dunk and finish it, and then that leads to him settling for the kickout way too easily. This could come from conditioning. But it could also comes from something like a slightly-sprained ankle that he's trying to keep from stressing.

If Luka can't make 3s, his defender can go under on the PNR. That removes the ability of the roll man from being a threat to attack the basket, and further clogs Luka and others from getting to the rim. (If I'm game-planning the Mavs, I'm sagging off Luka and going under every pick, daring him to shoot 3's, clogging everything else up, until there's a reason to do otherwise.)

If other shooters are missing 3s, the defense can sag on Luka and others when they drive, keeping them from finishing at the rim.

If Powell can't elevate like before, and other roll men aren't as good at PNR, then defenders don't have to stay at home on him when guards penetrate and head towards the basket.

If the pick isn't getting any action, the pick guy sets a lazier pick, or slips the pick, trying to get the pass, and it further clogs the lane.
THIS is the kind of stuff that we come here for. This analysis is spot on and some are probably saying this, without the detail. The detail matters though.

RE: MAVS NEWS: RC says Luka "working hard," "trending positive" in conditioning - omahen - 01-02-2021

https://twitter.com/KCJHoop/status/1345438669285580802?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1345438669285580802%7Ctwgr%5E%7Ctwcon%5Es1_&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fbleacherreport.com%2Fdallas-mavericks

RE: MAVS NEWS: RC says Luka "working hard," "trending positive" in conditioning - RDB - 01-02-2021

(01-02-2021, 12:21 AM)KillerLeft Wrote: Is this:

A) Luka/Burke/Brunson not converting in the paint as much as we'd hoped they would, or...

B) Teams sensing that the 3-ball is an early season weakness and defending them accordingly?
Luka per game numbers

% of shots & FG % <10 ft
2021 - 45.6% - 68%.                    2020 - 47.7% - 60.7%.  Improved

Drives/scoring
2021 - 61.4%.                              2020 - 56.2%.               Improved

Drives/pass.                                
2021 - 38.2%.                              2020 - 38.7%                Same

Drives/assist
2021 - 9.8%.                                    2020 - 12.5%.                  Worse

Looks to me like Luka has improved...however:

Shot clock time
2021 7-4 sec (late) - 16.7%.             2020 7-4 sec (late) - 8.0%
2021 4-0 (very late) - 14.4%.           2020 4-0 sec (very late) - 8.6%

Touch to shoot
2021 <2 sec - 5.6%.                        2020 13.6%
2021 2-6 sec - 24.4%.                     2020 - 33.8%
2021 6+ sec - 70%.                         2020 - 52.6%

Spacing maybe???

RE: MAVS NEWS: RC says Luka "working hard," "trending positive" in conditioning - BolsDamols - 01-02-2021

(01-02-2021, 02:56 PM)F Gump Wrote: I think it's mostly the first - the guards ability to finish at the rim this season - which then makes the spacing worse and the 3-ball is harder to make.

I thought Forrest Gump was just awesome at chess and Ping-Pong..
Looks like he can have a career at basketball as well

RE: MAVS NEWS: RC says Luka "working hard," "trending positive" in conditioning - RDB - 01-02-2021

Great analysis but I’m not sure the numbers support the Luka conclusions.  He is not and never will be an explosive player.  He actually has a higher shooting percentage on drives and on shots <10 ft this year v. last year and the passes from drives are almost exactly the same.  I think whatever the game shape issues are are mostly impacting his longer range shooting.  Tired legs typically lead to poorer longer range shooting.

RE: MAVS NEWS: RC says Luka "working hard," "trending positive" in conditioning - F Gump - 01-03-2021

(01-02-2021, 09:49 PM)RDB Wrote: He actually has a higher shooting percentage on drives and on shots <10 ft this year v. last year and the passes from drives are almost exactly the same. 

Shooting from inside 10 feet is not what I spoke about. It's about finishing at the rim, which requires him to explode past or elevate above whatever defender there may be to get to a lay-in or dunk.

Last season he was finishing at a rate higher than 75%. This season it's just 62%. Or to put it another way, last season he only failed to convert about 25% of the time, but now it's half again higher up to 38%. That creates doubt and can entice you to look for other options.

Of course, the numbers can't tell us why. It can be lots of factors. Less quickness to get past the defender (physical). Lack of explosiveness to finish (physical). Different decision-making (mental). Poorer outside shooting on 3s to keep defenders from playing the drive and sagging off (skill). And it can be a mix of all of that.

(Also, he's having to start a drive even more this year, because his shooting behind the arc is so bad.But he's not ending drives as often at the rim. So his shot attempts that are neither at the rim, nor 3s, are way up from 30% of his attempts to 42%. That mid-range stuff can't be helpful to the spacing, or the offense.)

But regardless of why, it's a fact that the end result on his drives is not what it was last year, and that then has a ripple effect.

RE: MAVS NEWS: RC says Luka "working hard," "trending positive" in conditioning - RDB - 01-03-2021

(01-03-2021, 12:01 AM)F Gump Wrote: Shooting from inside 10 feet is not what I spoke about. It's about finishing at the rim, which requires him to explode past or elevate above whatever defender there may be to get to a lay-in or dunk.

Last season, when he got past the first defender, he was lethal. He was finishing, and he might get an and-1 too. This year, with less explosiveness, some times he ends up fiddling around from 5-7 feet, and tossing up a floater, because he can't get to the rim. But even if he gets to the rim, he's not converting as easily, so now at times he is even turning down layup attempts and trying a pass, rather than to finish.

Watch the games. We are now seeing a hesitation on a lot of his drives. Or look at tape from last year and the year before, then compare to now, and see the difference. It's visible.

It also could be that we define explosiveness differently 

My comments were based on what I am seeing. But looking at the stats, they say the same thing.

Last season he was finishing at a rate higher than 75%. This season it's just 62%. Or to put it another way, last season he only failed to convert about 25% of the time, but now it's half again higher up to 38%. That creates doubt and can entice you to look for other options.

Of course, the numbers can't tell us why. It can be lots of factors. Less quickness to get past the defender (physical). Lack of explosiveness to finish (physical). Different decision-making (mental). Poorer outside shooting on 3s to keep defenders from playing the drive and sagging off (skill). And it can be a mix of all of that.

But regardless of why, it's a fact that the end result on his drives is not what it was last year, and that then has a ripple effect.
Maybe so...where did you get your drive stats?  I see rim stats of 74.9% and layup of 67% on Basketball Reference for last year.  I don’t know if they use tip-in’s, put backs, etc. for rim stats but I used the drive stats from NBA.com which shows higher percentages this year than last.  I’m sure drive stats also includes some shots not considered at the rim but at the end of the day, it’s about getting the bucket.

As far as how we define explosiveness, maybe your right that we define it differently.  I believe Luka relies on basketball IQ, timing, strength, and feel, not explosiveness.  He has average lateral speed and a below average vertical.  What he does have is great handles and elite ability to stop on a dime.  That’s why you see all the crossovers and jab steps.  He looks to get defenders leaning.  He does it on his drives and he does it on his step backs.  If he doesn’t get what he wants, he will reset and try again.  He doesn’t do it through elevation, he rarely dunks, and if you watch his rim shots, he usually doesn’t elevate over the defender.  As a matter of fact, I bet if you look at all his finishes last year, he probably wasn’t more that 12” of the floor on most releases.

As far as hesitation, he has always done that and you are seeing more NBA players do it as well.  You may be right that he may be doing it more but I believe it is less him and more the defenses.  Other coaches aren’t dumb and you can see that teams are trying to cut off some of his passing angles and crowding the paint more.  I think if/when our outside shooting becomes more consistent, things will open up a little bit.  However I think the hesitation is a critical part of his game.  If he gets a defender on his hip, with his size and body control he is hard to stop.  If he gets his defender behind him, that’s also when you see him hesitate or back into the defender.  He is basically waiting on the next move.   If others collapse, he will dish or drive past.  If they don’t collapse, he will take the floater.  The reason he can get away with this is because he has otherworldly touch at close range.

Luka plays chess while others play checkers.  We should be thankful that he is one of the best penetrators in the league and doesn’t rely on explosiveness.  Explosiveness fades but BBIQ is forever.  

I’m not looking to get in an argument and I hope you didn’t take my comment personally.  We all have our perspectives and mine is that Luka’s effectiveness comes from something other than explosiveness and while there are many on this site that are blaming the Mavs woes on Luka’s weight, my opinion is that it is not because of HIS inside game.  However, weight/dead legs are likely the cause of some of his outside shooting woes.  I do respect your position though and you may very well be right.  Anyway, it was a really good and well thought out post.  Cheers.

RE: MAVS NEWS: RC says Luka "working hard," "trending positive" in conditioning - Kammrath - 01-03-2021

https://twitter.com/bobbykaralla/status/1345802964846448640

RE: MAVS NEWS: RC says Luka "working hard," "trending positive" in conditioning - Kammrath - 01-03-2021

https://twitter.com/Jonathan_Feigen/status/1345860829976154112

RE: MAVS NEWS: RC says Luka "working hard," "trending positive" in conditioning - KillerLeft - 01-03-2021

I feel fine with him not playing against Chicago. Might live to regret those words, but I'm not worried. 

Houston is a different story. Hopefully, this is a measure taken to ensure that he can go tomorrow.

RE: MAVS NEWS: RC says Luka "working hard," "trending positive" in conditioning - ClutchDirk - 01-04-2021

https://heatnation-com.cdn.ampproject.org/v/s/heatnation.com/media/udonis-haslems-savage-nsfw-response-to-j-j-barea-claiming-dirk-nowitizki-hated-miami-heat/amp/?amp_js_v=a6&_gsa=1&usqp=mq331AQFKAGwASA%3D#csi=0&referrer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com&_tf=From%20%251%24s&share=https%3A%2F%2Fheatnation.com%2Fmedia%2Fudonis-haslems-savage-nsfw-response-to-j-j-barea-claiming-dirk-nowitizki-hated-miami-heat%2F

https://heatnation-com.cdn.ampproject.org/i/s/heatnation.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/01/Screen_Shot_2021-01-03_at_11.39.38_AM.jpg

RE: MAVS NEWS: RC says Luka "working hard," "trending positive" in conditioning - Mavs2019 - 01-04-2021

(01-04-2021, 09:59 AM)ClutchDirk Wrote: https://heatnation-com.cdn.ampproject.org/v/s/heatnation.com/media/udonis-haslems-savage-nsfw-response-to-j-j-barea-claiming-dirk-nowitizki-hated-miami-heat/amp/?amp_js_v=a6&_gsa=1&usqp=mq331AQFKAGwASA%3D#csi=0&referrer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com&_tf=From%20%251%24s&share=https%3A%2F%2Fheatnation.com%2Fmedia%2Fudonis-haslems-savage-nsfw-response-to-j-j-barea-claiming-dirk-nowitizki-hated-miami-heat%2F

https://heatnation-com.cdn.ampproject.org/i/s/heatnation.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/01/Screen_Shot_2021-01-03_at_11.39.38_AM.jpg
Also seems like Haslem hates the English language. Big Grin

RE: MAVS NEWS: RC says Luka "working hard," "trending positive" in conditioning - SleepingHero - 01-04-2021

Haslem can talk shit all he wants but he got his ass absolutely HANDED to him by Dirk that series. Perhaps he should be like Bosh and be a bit more humble.

Oh wait silly me how could I expect anyone from the Heat to be humble?

RE: MAVS NEWS: RC says Luka "working hard," "trending positive" in conditioning - ClutchDirk - 01-04-2021

As far as Haslem goes...

https://media.giphy.com/media/3oFzlVpcSZMXXf2t5m/giphy.gif