MavsBoard
2020-2021 MAVS NEWS: Archived - Printable Version

+- MavsBoard (https://www.mavsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Boards (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Dallas Mavericks and the NBA (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: 2020-2021 MAVS NEWS: Archived (/showthread.php?tid=677)

RE: MAVS NEWS: DAL interested in Collins | Kidd/Nico introduced July 15, 11 am - SwisherPrice - 07-15-2021

Voulgaris is definitely still there. Probably won't be in person as much but Cuban isn't going to get rid of his input  Big Grin

RE: MAVS NEWS: DAL interested in Collins | Kidd/Nico introduced July 15, 11 am - Mavs2021 - 07-15-2021

(07-15-2021, 11:36 AM)SwisherPrice Wrote: Voulgaris is definitely still there. Probably won't be in person as much but Cuban isn't going to get rid of his input  Big Grin

Sounds like it.

We heard the words young a lot from Kidd and Nico. Seems like they might want to roll with the current roster and not make that many drastic changes this summer. Maybe it really comes down to ONE of Collins, Markkanen, Ball, Sexton, Allen acquisition and be done with it.

RE: MAVS NEWS: DAL interested in Collins | Kidd/Nico introduced July 15, 11 am - Chicagojk - 07-15-2021

(07-15-2021, 11:35 AM)fifteenth Wrote: Cuban: Regarding whether Bob is on the payroll. I don't talk about who is on the payroll. Never have. 

Is that true???!!! Seems silly.

I am not listening, but that is weak.   With all the news surrounding him if he is still with the franchise or a consultant, say so.    If you believe what he has provided over the past two years why be so secretive.   I would like to hear Nico answer the question on how he will incorporate the analytics team as well.

I think it is a very weak answer though.  Be confident in your team.

Also didn't he comment on Keith Grant about two weeks ago?

RE: MAVS NEWS: DAL interested in Collins | Kidd/Nico introduced July 15, 11 am - Mavs2021 - 07-15-2021

That´s a great comment by Kidd on defense. Love it. Our team defense has been so bad for so long, that I simply refuse to believe that there was not some structural coaching issue rather than a player personnel issue.

Nico: I have evaluated the last 19 draft classes.
Cuban: *wow that´s 19 more than us* Big Grin

RE: MAVS NEWS: DAL interested in Collins | Kidd/Nico introduced July 15, 11 am - Kammrath - 07-15-2021

Press Conference Takeaways:

1) No "thank you" given to RC or Donnie.

2) Lots of implications that having new coaching will immediately elevate everyone....especially KP. References to "servant leadership" repeatedly.

3) Cuban admitting that there wasn't much structure before in the organization and that Nico will bring that structure.

4) Cuban owning that he is the final decision maker on money related decisions, but also wants to give authority to those he asks responsibility.

5) Shout out to developing Josh Green.

6) Cynt is really important and was such a smart hire by Cuban. Loved how she and Kidd handled the "elephant in the room."

7) LOVE the talk of TEAM defense and that it is more important than individual D.

8) Kidd saying you have to actually PLAY the young guys to know what you have.

9) Nico saying he always evaluates the draft classes.

RE: MAVS NEWS: DAL interested in Collins | Kidd/Nico introduced July 15, 11 am - omahen - 07-15-2021

I think conference went as expected, nothing really of value was said. I was a bit surprised about a lack of roster building questions but it may be guys were instructed not to go there. A lot of effort has been given to Kidd situation with his wife and kids brought in and spotlighted. 

As a summary I would say that they were mostly saying things people want to hear. Nico especially is a wall, he gave absolutely nothing.

RE: MAVS NEWS: DAL interested in Collins | Kidd/Nico introduced July 15, 11 am - Tyler - 07-15-2021

(07-15-2021, 11:35 AM)fifteenth Wrote: Cuban: Regarding whether Bob is on the payroll. I don't talk about who is on the payroll. Never have. 

I'll simply take that as a "yes". 

Cuban is clearly trying to hide Voulgaris in the basement while still keeping him on the payroll. Which is honestly the right approach for his type of role in the organization. I'm willing to give Cuban the benefit of the doubt for as long as we never hear about Voulgaris again beyond some fancy report he put together.

I'll also point out that Cuban's evasion could also be interpreted in the corporate world as an indicator that Voulgaris has been disciplined in some way that they can't legally discuss.

RE: MAVS NEWS: DAL interested in Collins | Kidd/Nico introduced July 15, 11 am - ItsGoTime - 07-15-2021

Tyson Chandler gonna join Kidd with their 3rd stint with the Mavs???

I’d love to see him impart some knowledge to our bigs!

RE: MAVS NEWS: DAL interested in Collins | Kidd/Nico introduced July 15, 11 am - mavsluvr - 07-15-2021

Main takeaways

1. A lot of support for KP. Kidd says the Luka-KP fit is great. Cuban says KP has been unfairly maligned. No indication that they want to move on. 

2. The brain trust will have input, but Cuban will continue to make the final decisions.

RE: MAVS NEWS: DAL interested in Collins | Kidd/Nico introduced July 15, 11 am - Kammrath - 07-15-2021

(07-15-2021, 11:29 AM)Mavs2021 Wrote: CoC and mental safety didn´t seem to extend to Rick Carlisle´s volatile behaviour, if we read between the lines, after his resignation.

"Emotional safety" is a tricky thing. It does seem like RC probably got "grandfathered" treatment....and it seems to me like everyone is feeling relieved he is gone.

RE: MAVS NEWS: DAL interested in Collins | Kidd/Nico introduced July 15, 11 am - Chicagojk - 07-15-2021

(07-15-2021, 11:50 AM)Kammrath Wrote: Press Conference Takeaways:

1) No "thank you" given to RC or Donnie.

2) Lots of implications that having new coaching will immediately elevate everyone....especially KP. References to "servant leadership" repeatedly.

3) Cuban admitting that there wasn't much structure before in the organization and that Nico will bring that structure.

4) Cuban owning that he is the final decision maker on money related decisions, but also wants to give authority to those he asks responsibility.

5) Shout out to developing Josh Green.

6) Cynt is really important and was such a smart hire by Cuban. Loved how she and Kidd handled the "elephant in the room."

7) LOVE the talk of TEAM defense and that it is more important than individual D.

8) Kidd saying you have to actually PLAY the young guys to know what you have.

9) Nico saying he always evaluates the draft classes.

thanks for sharing

RE: MAVS NEWS: DAL interested in Collins | Kidd/Nico introduced July 15, 11 am - omahen - 07-15-2021

(07-15-2021, 11:53 AM)mavsluvr Wrote: 1. A lot of support for KP. Kidd says the Luka-KP fit is great. Cuban says KP has been unfairly maligned. No indication that they want to move on. 

It would be unwise to say anything different, no matter what is the plan. Only further destroying his value. "KP is great and we want to keep him. Oh you offer that for him?, hmm interesting."

RE: MAVS NEWS: DAL interested in Collins | Kidd/Nico introduced July 15, 11 am - Tyler - 07-15-2021

Interesting juxtaposition of comments:

https://twitter.com/tim_cato/status/1415710977375547396
https://twitter.com/ESefko/status/1415710933448634371

Reading between the lines, I definitely get the vibe that Kidd plans to use KP differently than Carlisle did.

(07-15-2021, 11:53 AM)ItsGoTime Wrote: Tyson Chandler gonna join Kidd with their 3rd stint with the Mavs???

I’d love to see him impart some knowledge to our bigs!

I saw a tweet that Kidd with be bringing Tyson and Barea to summer league to see if coaching is something they want to make their life work.   I think this is smart.  It is a big jump to put a guy on the bench with no coaching experience....no matter how well liked he is or how good of a player he was.  The best route is probably make him a deep coach who sits behind the bench and let him grow into the role.

(07-15-2021, 11:55 AM)Tyler Wrote: I definitely get the vibe that Kidd plans to use KP differently than Carlisle did.

100%. 

Lots of vibes that were implicitly blaming RC for a lot of what went wrong with the current roster IMO.

RE: MAVS NEWS: DAL interested in Collins | Kidd/Nico introduced July 15, 11 am - ItsGoTime - 07-15-2021

(07-15-2021, 11:51 AM)omahen Wrote: I think conference went as expected, nothing really of value was said. I was a bit surprised about a lack of roster building questions but it may be guys were instructed not to go there. A lot of effort has been given to Kidd situation with his wife and kids brought in and spotlighted. 

As a summary I would say that they were mostly saying things people want to hear. Nico especially is a wall, he gave absolutely nothing.
While it wasn’t a sure thing, the biggest thing that came out is KP is more than likely staying put. That has pretty huge implications on offseason moves.

(07-15-2021, 11:55 AM)Tyler Wrote: Interesting juxtaposition of comments:

https://twitter.com/tim_cato/status/1415710977375547396
https://twitter.com/ESefko/status/1415710933448634371

Reading between the lines, I definitely get the vibe that Kidd plans to use KP differently than Carlisle did.

If I was a coach or new GM, I would definitely want to make it work with KP.    That might change if there were Ben Simmons type offers out there...but I don't see a lot of deals that make us better than a rehabbed KP.   Just because you keep him next year doesn't mean he is here for the next 4 years.

RE: MAVS NEWS: DAL interested in Collins | Kidd/Nico introduced July 15, 11 am - mavsluvr - 07-15-2021

(07-15-2021, 11:50 AM)Kammrath Wrote: 8) Kidd saying you have to actually PLAY the young guys to know what you have.
Bit of elaboration --

Kidd says the rookies will play a lot for the Mavs this summer (Josh Green less, because he is playing with his national team). Says he cannot commit to how much they will play in the season, because he hasn't seen them play and gotten a chance to evaluate them at this point.

(07-15-2021, 11:58 AM)ItsGoTime Wrote: While it wasn’t a sure thing, the biggest thing that came out is KP is more than likely staying put. That has pretty huge implications on offseason moves.

It is obvious his value is shut down to extremely low with three max years left on his deal and Mavs don't want to sell at such low price. Doesn't mean they won't pull the trigger if a decent offer comes

disappointed no questions were asked about Robert Franks Smile