MavsBoard
2020-2021 MAVS NEWS: Archived - Printable Version

+- MavsBoard (https://www.mavsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Boards (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Dallas Mavericks and the NBA (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: 2020-2021 MAVS NEWS: Archived (/showthread.php?tid=677)

RE: MAVS NEWS: DAL in search for new GM/president - fifteenth - 06-17-2021

(06-17-2021, 10:13 AM)omahen Wrote: Difference is just in drafted. Hawks drafted most of their team in several losing years. Phoenix did the same, even failed extremely badly on a couple of top picks along the way (Zizic, Chriss, Jackson, even Smith from this season looks like big mistake), but they still managed to draft Bridges, Booker, Johnson and Ayton. 

Should Mavs spend more years tanking? I am not sure. Should Mavs be more brave in the last two seasons adding talent around Luka instead of waiting for that golden chance? I would say yes. Although they do have time to correct it. I don't think a total rebuild of the team is needed. But new management should get a chance to clean up a couple of mistakes of the past.

Good point about the Hawks and Suns tanking for longer. But I think the Mavs could have overcome that by hitting on more of their free agent and trade aquisitions. For example, imagine how much better the team would be if either Delon or JRich had been that perfect fit next to Luka, and/or if KP had been the superstar they expected. Hit on just 2 of those 3 misses and this team looks different.

RE: MAVS NEWS: DAL in search for new GM/president - dirkfansince1998 - 06-17-2021

(06-17-2021, 10:07 AM)fifteenth Wrote: KP has been subpar, and they missed on their search for a "next to Luka" guy two years in a row. Nonetheless they've been on an upward trajectory that fits the maturation of a young superstar. 

Internal development lead to more success. Players like THJ, Maxi, DFS, Brunson and obviously most important Luka getting better. Can certainly question the role of the front office in the post Luka draft era. Only two guys that were added after the Knicks trade made the playoff rotation. One lost his starting spot in the regular season and probably won´t be back. The other is a 3rd string big turned desperation starter.
No "external" improvement of the roster in the last two years. Basically at the same starting point but with less assets.

RE: MAVS NEWS: DAL in search for new GM/president - HanspardsShowerVoice - 06-17-2021

(06-17-2021, 10:17 AM)omahen Wrote: I don't agree about great assets part. Nice contracts to build around. All Curry got us was JRich - player with a reputation of being a solid starter. No one will trade their star for DFS/Curry. And for every good value contract we have a bad value contract, stuff that didn't work out the way we thought - Wright, Powell, JRich. Kleber is probably neutral value at this point.

Agreed.  "Value contracts" are so ridiculously overrated if the goal is to win Titles.   The Hawks aren't winning because they have "value contracts' they are winning because they paid premium contracts for players who get buckets at critical times.   Maybe Shake Milton's contract is a better "value" than Gallinari.   Who gives a damn.     Gallinari is scoring 16 points in Game 6, and Shake Milton is scoring 5.   Who cares how about "value contracts" the Grizzlies or Pacers have if they're getting bounced in the first round of the playoffs.

RE: MAVS NEWS: DAL in search for new GM/president - Chicagojk - 06-17-2021

Losing Hardaway would be tough and also risky.  His shooting and play really fits in here.  I would like him back.  But as I have said before the further we get away, I think I am more in the camp of getting one of these penetrating guards.    I think this would help Luka and potentially help save KP more.   If we have two guys who can attack defenses it really causes havoc.   Spread the rest of the starters with solid shooters.   The havoc could really open up things for KP....more so than having Luka and just shooters out there.   If KP can back to a respectable defender than you can start to see a finish line.

I was thinking of Masai earlier...and to be clear he probably isn't coming here.    But can you imagine how things look different if he drafted/or signed after the draft Van Fleet and Norman Powell here?  Maybe we already have players who are in the range with our rookies and Jalen.   Throw in late first picks in Siakim.  Trades for Lowry, Leonard, and Gasol.  Plus other moves.    A few good moves is all we need to really make a jump.  Unfortunately we may have gone O-for the past two offseasons.

RE: MAVS NEWS: DAL in search for new GM/president - dirkfansince1998 - 06-17-2021

(06-17-2021, 10:17 AM)omahen Wrote: I don't agree about great assets part. Nice contracts to build around. All Curry got us was JRich - player with a reputation of being a solid starter. No one will trade their star for DFS/Curry. And for every good value contract we have a bad value contract, stuff that didn't work out the way we thought - Wright, Powell, JRich. Kleber is probably neutral value at this point.

That´s exactly what I mentioned in my post. Short term contacts are no risk/no reward. Longer deals are higher risk/more reward. Can end up with Curry/DFS or Wright. Richardson was not only an attempt to improve the defense. Also a cap clearing move. All about the Giannis pipe dream. Basically plan powder 2021.

Curry and DFS are without a doubt great assets. Contract wise as good as it gets on non rookie deals. Doesn´t mean that you will get a star player for them. That´s how the league works. You need 2-3 of them, a couple of picks and matching salary for top players.

RE: MAVS NEWS: DAL in search for new GM/president - mvossman - 06-17-2021

(06-17-2021, 08:39 AM)ItsGoTime Wrote: Right now, the Hawks are visualizing a path to the finals. The first year playoff Hawks!

If Kawhi blows out his knee during our series, then we are thinking the same thing.

RE: MAVS NEWS: DAL in search for new GM/president - ItsGoTime - 06-17-2021

(06-17-2021, 10:13 AM)omahen Wrote: Should Mavs spend more years tanking?
Impossible unless Luka is shut down (not happening) or injured (hopefully not happening).

(06-17-2021, 10:31 AM)mvossman Wrote: If Kawhi blows out his knee during our series, then we are thinking the same thing.
Apples to apples says last year’s Mavs make it past LaC first, THEN Jokic blows out his knee. I’ll give you that Atl is in the East though.

(06-17-2021, 09:03 AM)omahen Wrote: My personal offseason wish (assuming we keep KP) is one of top FA (Lowry, Conley, Collins, Ball, Graham, CP3) and resign THJ. I think losing his shooting ability would hurt us a lot.

I'm not sure how you are going to sign Lowry, Conley or CP3 and resign THJ?  Collins will require a lot of out going salary that Atlanta might not want.  Ball would require squeezing THJ to a reasonable size contract or walk.

As to what to do if you don't resign THJ, I would love to sign Norman Powell for a few million more.  I am more comfortable with him in the starting lineup as he is a better defender.  If we did manage to land Lowry or Conley, you could not fit THJ, but you might be able to squeeze in a McDermott or someone like that.  If you feel like you need more interior defense, then you might sign Holmes and Graham and let THJ walk.  This is all assuming you keep KP.

RE: MAVS NEWS: DAL in search for new GM/president - mavsluvr - 06-17-2021

(06-17-2021, 10:30 AM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: Richardson was not only an attempt to improve the defense. Also a cap clearing move. All about the Giannis pipe dream. Basically plan powder 2021
I think this is a point that doesn't get noticed enough.

RE: MAVS NEWS: DAL in search for new GM/president - khaled1987 - 06-17-2021

(06-17-2021, 10:13 AM)omahen Wrote: Difference is just in drafted. Hawks drafted most of their team in several losing years. 

Should Mavs spend more years tanking? 

A- Technically Atlanta had "several"  losing years, yeah. But those several are just 3, while 4 of last 7 years they had top 5 seed in the east, those 3 years are only lottery years in 14 seasons. 

Mavericks also had 3 years as losing years, 4 lottery years in last 10.

B-  John Collins was drafted with 19th pick, in a winning season, arguably their 2nd best pick.

And this the main problem,  our draft sucks.
No value from 2013-2016 NBA draft. Minimal from 2017 (traded him, but could have got Bam, Mitchell, Collins, all who would have been better than KP and would have alliwed us to keep assets)
Nothing from 2019 and 2020 in our rotation yet either.

And above all, not a single extra 1st coming our way in trades since ancient times.

This is something we need to work on and hopefully new management will do this

RE: MAVS NEWS: DAL in search for new GM/president - Tyler - 06-17-2021

https://twitter.com/TheAthletic/status/1405553125239492617

RE: MAVS NEWS: DAL in search for new GM/president - Chicagojk - 06-17-2021

The Luka rumors are here to stay.  We better get thick skin.  There will be times where he get the itch in the future to leave.  There is nothing we can do about it.   That is todays athlete.   Having a team that can compete for a championship and having a front office he has confidence with is our best defense.  But those rumors aren't going anywhere.   They will be like forest fire on message board non stop.

In fact, The athletic just posted a story that certain members of Zion's family want him on another team and that NO is losing the battle to keep him happy.   These are the times.

(06-17-2021, 10:30 AM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: You need 2-3 of them, a couple of picks and matching salary for top players.
Which means you need 2-3 of them minimum on your team if you don’t have the players at the top.

RE: MAVS NEWS: DAL in search for new GM/president - DallasBasketball - 06-17-2021

(06-17-2021, 10:44 AM)mavsluvr Wrote: I think this is a point that doesn't get noticed enough.

In regard to Richardson and Plan powder I completely agree with both the OP’s point as well as yours. 

Could a changing of the guard signify an end to plan powder? 

Was Cuban’s enthusiasm about plan powder partly caused by a great sales job by Donnie but reinforced and impacted via the financial crisis of 2009 and great financial pain Cuban had endured throughout the early 00’s combined with the punishing cap projected from 2012 forward.. 

Or can I keep going and assume Donnie’s creation of plan powder was influenced by Cubans desire to build a team that could work in a more cap friendly manner and Donnie was attempting to find a double solution for Cubans desires AND Dirk’s age.

We will never know, but maybe we hear for certain that this is the end of so called plan powder.

RE: MAVS NEWS: DAL in search for new GM/president - omahen - 06-17-2021

(06-17-2021, 10:43 AM)mvossman Wrote: I'm not sure how you are going to sign Lowry, Conley or CP3 and resign THJ?  Collins will require a lot of out going salary that Atlanta might not want.  Ball would require squeezing THJ to a reasonable size contract or walk.

Either dump additional salary or SnT. A little creativity and credibility required from FO. Without a little creativity Mavs will have a really hard time improving. It is not that I am asking for two all stars. So if THJ is 15 mil, there is 19 mil available for that FA guy. Getting "rid" of Kleber or Powell gets the thing done. JRich opting in would make things a bit more complicated.

If you are credible (by signing Masai for example), can you convince Lowry to sign for 20 mil in year 1?

RE: MAVS NEWS: DAL in search for new GM/president - omahen - 06-17-2021

(06-17-2021, 11:20 AM)DallasBasketball Wrote: In regard to Richardson and Plan powder I completely agree with both the OP’s point as well as yours. 

Could a changing of the guard signify an end to plan powder? 

Was Cuban’s enthusiasm about plan powder partly caused by a great sales job by Donnie but reinforced and impacted via the financial crisis of 2009 and great financial pain Cuban had endured throughout the early 00’s combined with the punishing cap projected from 2012 forward.. 

Or can I keep going and assume Donnie’s creation of plan powder was influenced by Cubans desire to build a team that could work in a more cap friendly manner and Donnie was attempting to find a double solution for Cubans desires AND Dirk’s age.

We will never know, but maybe we hear for certain that this is the end of so called plan powder.

It really looks like that at least half of team tampers as hell and knows well in advance who they are signing and adapt strategy accordingly while Mavs looked completely blind. 2019 it seems like they were totally hit by surprise everyone got their contract ready a minute past FA opening. For 2021 they again hoped there will be a bunch of top FA available while even most of the board here saw it perfectly clear it is basically Giannis or bust. I just hope these days of extremely wrongly estimated situation are gone.

RE: MAVS NEWS: DAL in search for new GM/president - Hypermav - 06-17-2021

(06-17-2021, 10:57 AM)Chicagojk Wrote: We better get thick skin.
Thicc skin.

(06-17-2021, 11:24 AM)omahen Wrote: Either dump additional salary or SnT. A little creativity and credibility required from FO. Without a little creativity Mavs will have a really hard time improving. It is not that I am asking for two all stars. So if THJ is 15 mil, there is 19 mil available for that FA guy. Getting "rid" of Kleber or Powell gets the thing done. JRich opting in would make things a bit more complicated.

If you are credible (by signing Masai for example), can you convince Lowry to sign for 20 mil in year 1?

I am curious what this creativity would be?  I'm not sure we have the assets to dump Powell and I would not be interested in "dumping" Maxi just to sign THJ.  I would rather keep Maxi and Sign McDermott.  Maybe we could dump Burke (what a terrible contract that turned out to be).  Just because we hire Masai does not mean Lowery is going to take a significant pay cut to come here.  Honestly, my bet is he goes to Miami regardless of who our GM is.

RE: MAVS NEWS: DAL in search for new GM/president - Omega_Supreme - 06-17-2021

(06-17-2021, 10:45 AM)khaled1987 Wrote: A- Technically Atlanta had "several"  losing years, yeah. But those several are just 3, while 4 of last 7 years they had top 5 seed in the east, those 3 years are only lottery years in 14 seasons. 

Mavericks also had 3 years as losing years, 4 lottery years in last 10.

B-  John Collins was drafted with 19th pick, in a winning season, arguably their 2nd best pick.

And this the main problem,  our draft sucks.
No value from 2013-2016 NBA draft. Minimal from 2017 (traded him, but could have got Bam, Mitchell, Collins, all who would have been better than KP and would have alliwed us to keep assets)
Nothing from 2019 and 2020 in our rotation yet either.

And above all, not a single extra 1st coming our way in trades since ancient times.

This is something we need to work on and hopefully new management will do this

Preach brother, Donnie was absolutely atrocious at drafting and seemed to ignore it or have a lazy approach. One of the biggest head scratchers for me was the Harrison Barnes trade to Sacramento where we basically just dumped him. Most teams would have extended him and traded him but he was a high value player lost for nothing. 

Donnie was trash at managing assets, absolutely atrocious.