MavsBoard
2020-2021 MAVS NEWS: Archived - Printable Version

+- MavsBoard (https://www.mavsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Boards (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Dallas Mavericks and the NBA (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: 2020-2021 MAVS NEWS: Archived (/showthread.php?tid=677)

RE: MAVS NEWS: 2020-21 final stats...5th in West | 8th O | 21st D | 10th Net - SleepingHero - 05-19-2021

(05-19-2021, 02:52 AM)KillerLeft Wrote: One of the best Dirk interviews ever.

I'm so ready. I love it when Simmons talks Mavs. His book of basketball podcast on Dirk Nowitzki and where he ranks all time with Marc Stein is still one of my top 5 favorite listens.

RE: MAVS NEWS: 2020-21 final stats...5th in West | 8th O | 21st D | 10th Net - Chicagojk - 05-20-2021

Not sure where to put this.  If you are a Ringer fan and enjoy their podcasts, Jonathan Tjarks is a regular on the NBA podcast.  He lives in TX and is a long time Mavericks fans.   He typically has some unique draft thoughts, but I enjoy him (and others on the ringer).

Jonathan is going through some difficulty right now with Cancer.   Below is the link with his story and some journal entries.  

https://www.caringbridge.org/visit/jonathantjarks

RE: MAVS NEWS: 2020-21 final stats...5th in West | 8th O | 21st D | 10th Net - IamDougieFresh - 05-20-2021

(05-20-2021, 08:20 AM)Chicagojk Wrote: Not sure where to put this.  If you are a Ringer fan and enjoy their podcasts, Jonathan Tjarks is a regular on the NBA podcast.  He lives in TX and is a long time Mavericks fans.   He typically has some unique draft thoughts, but I enjoy him (and others on the ringer).

Jonathan is going through some difficulty right now with Cancer.   Below is the link with his story and some journal entries.  

https://www.caringbridge.org/visit/jonathantjarks
Makes me fucking sick

RE: MAVS NEWS: 2020-21 final stats...5th in West | 8th O | 21st D | 10th Net - HanspardsShowerVoice - 05-20-2021

(05-19-2021, 02:52 AM)KillerLeft Wrote: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/the-bill-simmons-podcast/id1043699613?i=1000522294822

One of the best Dirk interviews ever.

It's so funny when my sentiment as a fan matches that of the team.  That Game 1 win against the Lakers was really when I thought "Holy ^%!%, they could do this " 

Also glad to see him throw reference to NVE multiple times.   Probably an underappreciated Mav during Dirk's era.   Mavs really made a big leap when they added him as a 6th man, and I think he brought some veteran swagger to the franchise that had been missing.

RE: MAVS NEWS: 2020-21 final stats...5th in West | 8th O | 21st D | 10th Net - HanspardsShowerVoice - 05-20-2021

One interesting point in the Dirk interview that I hadn't thought much about is Luka's complaining to the refs, and maybe Euros in general, comes from the frustration of having trouble communicate in his 4th language.   Simmons brought up all the subtle and discreet ways Jordan would talk to the refs, but it's hard to be discreet or subtle when you're not speaking fluently in a language.  So much of the talking between timeouts and stoppages in play is about venting and letting off some steam.    For Luka it seems like it just builds and builds until it hits critical mass and then he has trouble moving on.

RE: MAVS NEWS: 2020-21 final stats...5th in West | 8th O | 21st D | 10th Net - ClutchDirk - 05-21-2021

https://twitter.com/MavsLead/status/1395583310966005763

RE: MAVS NEWS: 2020-21 final stats...5th in West | 8th O | 21st D | 10th Net - HAguiar95 - 05-21-2021

[Image: mavs-playmaking.jpg]

Give us some playmakers Donnie, please.

RE: MAVS NEWS: 2020-21 final stats...5th in West | 8th O | 21st D | 10th Net - SleepingHero - 05-21-2021

So basically outside of Luka we have no consistent playmaker.

RE: MAVS NEWS: 2020-21 final stats...5th in West | 8th O | 21st D | 10th Net - dynamicalVoid - 05-21-2021

(05-21-2021, 11:53 AM)SleepingHero Wrote: So basically outside of Luka we have no consistent playmaker.

Based on that graph...Mavs are deficient in Blue Triangles.

Everyone has multiple Blue Triangles.

We need more Blue Triangles.

RE: MAVS NEWS: 2020-21 final stats...5th in West | 8th O | 21st D | 10th Net - ClutchDirk - 05-21-2021

They would all have blue triangles if it was 3 point chucking...

RE: MAVS NEWS: 2020-21 final stats...5th in West | 8th O | 21st D | 10th Net - DanSchwartzgan - 05-21-2021

(05-21-2021, 12:11 PM)dynamicalVoid Wrote: Based on that graph...Mavs are deficient in Blue Triangles.

Everyone has multiple Blue Triangles.

We need more Blue Triangles.

I actually think the question is more about the right players having the right triangles.  Note the efficiency achieved by Maxi, WCS, Powell and DFS on low volume.  Basically, they are being told “don’t do much and don’t screw up what you do”.  It would be more instructive to see them against their own archetype.

The team has worked hard to make KP more efficient, as evidenced by his career best TS%.  He and THJ create good looks for others, they just don’t do it very often or very efficiently.  What we really need is one more guy with “more blue triangles” so that two of Luka, Brunson and “that guy” could be on the floor at all times.  Going much beyond that is simply adding a skill that isn’t likely to be utilized the way we play offense.

RE: MAVS NEWS: 2020-21 final stats...5th in West | 8th O | 21st D | 10th Net - dynamicalVoid - 05-21-2021

(05-21-2021, 12:32 PM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: I actually think the question is more about the right players having the right triangles.  Note the efficiency achieved by Maxi, WCS, Powell and DFS on low volume.  Basically, they are being told “don’t do much and don’t screw up what you do”.  It would be more instructive to see them against their own archetype.

The team has worked hard to make KP more efficient, as evidenced by his career best TS%.  He and THJ create good looks for others, they just don’t do it very often or very efficiently.  What we really need is one more guy with “more blue triangles” so that two of Luka, Brunson and “that guy” could be on the floor at all times.  Going much beyond that is simply adding a skill that isn’t likely to be utilized the way we play offense.

Nah Nah nah...

Give me more Blue Triangles in the event our Offense isnt working in a Playoff atmosphere...I want guys that can play the game.  Not one trick ponies.

RE: MAVS NEWS: 2020-21 final stats...5th in West | 8th O | 21st D | 10th Net - fifteenth - 05-21-2021

(05-21-2021, 11:53 AM)SleepingHero Wrote: So basically outside of Luka we have no consistent playmaker.

Not saying we don't need more playmaking. But Brunson is in the 70-79th percentile. So "no playmaker" might be overstating things.

RE: MAVS NEWS: 2020-21 final stats...5th in West | 8th O | 21st D | 10th Net - dirkfansince1998 - 05-21-2021

(05-21-2021, 12:32 PM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: The team has worked hard to make KP more efficient, as evidenced by his career best TS%.  He and THJ create good looks for others, they just don’t do it very often or very efficiently.  What we really need is one more guy with “more blue triangles” so that two of Luka, Brunson and “that guy” could be on the floor at all times.  Going much beyond that is simply adding a skill that isn’t likely to be utilized the way we play offense.

Question is if this is more of a floor general / pass first kind of guy or a shot creator that is mostly creating for himself. Lonzo/Rubio/Lowry or DeRozan/Powell/Fournier.

RE: MAVS NEWS: 2020-21 final stats...5th in West | 8th O | 21st D | 10th Net - mvossman - 05-21-2021

(05-21-2021, 01:16 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: Question is if this is more of a floor general / pass first kind of guy or a shot creator that is mostly creating for himself. Lonzo/Rubio/Lowry or DeRozan/Powell/Fournier.

I think the former.

RE: MAVS NEWS: 2020-21 final stats...5th in West | 8th O | 21st D | 10th Net - HanspardsShowerVoice - 05-21-2021

It's a cool looking dashboard, but I don't really know what to read into it.   To me, the Bucks playing Budenholzer Ball should be at the pinnacle of team passing in the league and the Bulls featuring The Zach LaVine Show most nights should be below average, but according to this they're pretty much similar in team passing (or Bulls even slightly better)?  

[Image: Bucks.jpg]

[Image: Bulls.jpg]

(05-21-2021, 01:20 PM)mvossman Wrote: I think the former.

I thought you needed shot creators/play makers in Playoffs when defenses boner up?

RE: MAVS NEWS: 2020-21 final stats...5th in West | 8th O | 21st D | 10th Net - HAguiar95 - 05-21-2021

(05-21-2021, 12:32 PM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: I actually think the question is more about the right players having the right triangles.  Note the efficiency achieved by Maxi, WCS, Powell and DFS on low volume.  Basically, they are being told “don’t do much and don’t screw up what you do”.  It would be more instructive to see them against their own archetype.

The triangles already are ranked against their archetype (percentiles). Question is, can the guy that has a blue triangle maintain that playing in a system where he won't have the volume (Brunson + Luka already get a bunch or maybe reduce JB's). J-Rich's volume but with better efficiency/versatility basically. Also I think it's fairly easy to see that Maxi/DFS can't have the ball in their hands, not because coach tells them not to, but because they are simply not capable of doing so.

RE: MAVS NEWS: 2020-21 final stats...5th in West | 8th O | 21st D | 10th Net - HanspardsShowerVoice - 05-21-2021

On one hand the Thunder were dead last offensive rating in the NBA .. but on the other hand, look at all these blue triangles

[Image: OKC.jpg] 

RE: MAVS NEWS: 2020-21 final stats...5th in West | 8th O | 21st D | 10th Net - Kammrath - 05-21-2021

[Image: Playmaking-Grades.png]