MavsBoard
2020-2021 AROUND the NBA: Archived - Printable Version

+- MavsBoard (https://www.mavsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Boards (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Dallas Mavericks and the NBA (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: 2020-2021 AROUND the NBA: Archived (/showthread.php?tid=622)

RE: AROUND the NBA: Harden is demanding a trade - KillerLeft - 01-09-2021

Seriously… I am watching Sacramento right now for maybe the fourth time this season. I legitimately believe that Halliburton is their best player. Already.

RE: AROUND the NBA: Harden is demanding a trade - loki - 01-10-2021

(01-09-2021, 11:52 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: The only rookie I’m blue about is Halliburton. He plays like a five year vet. Understands the game at such a high level.

I almost wish that we didn’t know Dallas tried to trade up to get him.

The frustrating thing about that is that Phoenix almost certainly could have drafted Jalen Smith at #18 as well as added Brunson and (I'm assuming) #31 as well. James Jones kind of screwed both teams.

RE: AROUND the NBA: Harden is demanding a trade - KillerLeft - 01-10-2021

Good lord, Bagley sucks. I wish I didn’t have to watch him just to watch Halliburton.

RE: AROUND the NBA: Harden is demanding a trade - Kammrath - 01-10-2021

(01-10-2021, 12:10 AM)KillerLeft Wrote: Bagley sucks.

He's only -29 in 19 mins....you're tripping.

RE: AROUND the NBA: Harden is demanding a trade - cow - 01-10-2021

(01-10-2021, 12:12 AM)Kammrath Wrote: He's only -29 in 19 mins....you're tripping.

Just wait until he gets to 20 minutes!

RE: AROUND the NBA: Harden is demanding a trade - MFFL OLD - 01-10-2021

(01-09-2021, 06:11 PM)burekemde Wrote: Collins acted to damage Young. If he wanted to solve the issue, he would have gone to the coach directly.

I don't believe so. Things in the locker room are said all the time and they are supposed to STAY in the locker room

Teammates can't ignore shit because the coaching staff won't sack up and tell Young to play right

RE: AROUND the NBA: Harden is demanding a trade - loki - 01-10-2021

(01-10-2021, 12:47 AM)MFFL Wrote: I don't believe so. Things in the locker room are said all the time and they are supposed to STAY in the locker room

Teammates can't ignore shit because the coaching staff won't sack up and tell Young to play right

The Athletic is going to become the TMZ of the NBA at this rate. Not that I'm complaining, I love me some drama.

RE: AROUND the NBA: Harden is demanding a trade - SleepingHero - 01-10-2021

(01-09-2021, 06:02 PM)burekemde Wrote: The main problem is the actual manner he tried to solve this issue. This he did in completely wrong and selfish way, exposing the entire franchise. Instead of going to the coaches and making his point, arguing why he has a point etc. and why his proposed strategy would be better for the team compared to the current tactics the coach is running now (featuring heavy use of Trae). This would have been the correct way by a teammate to do this. A private discussion with the coach. Keep in mind Trae is not doing this by his own, it is the coach that asks Trae how to run the offense. This is head coachs matter. Not Trae Youngs.

To be fair, we don't know what Collins did. Perhaps he did go to the coach and was stonewalled? Maybe he did have a private discussion with the coach before, who agreed with him, and that's the reason why Young is mad at the coach currently and is disgruntled? We don't know. It's all speculation. What we do know is that Collins spoke up, other Hawks players agreed (lends credence to the coach maybe agreeing with Collins too), Young got mad, and the locker room isn't good. From that alone I cannot label Collins a usurper and nominated himself the new head coach. There has been zero evidence of Collins ever pulling anything even remotely like that in his entire career. Sure he's immature, as evidence from his steroid suspension last season, but coach/locker room killer? A lot harder to say. 

As to exposing the entire franchise? I don't see how it's Collins fault that the Hawks locker room has a bunch of leakers. It could be agents, coaches, players. The detail in that story are all big details that only maybe 20 people that are in the locker room day-to-day would know. Could be Collins. Could not be. We don't know and we can't assume. 

(01-09-2021, 06:02 PM)burekemde Wrote: If done in this way, Trae would have respected this way as well.

I'm not going to speculate on how Trae would potentially react if Collins approached this subject in a different manner. For all we know, like I said in the beginning, Collins DID approach this subject in a multitude of ways before the pot boiled over and tempers flared. We just don't know. 

But there is more evidence that Trae would not have respected this no matter how it was approached. He's flashed drama queen tendencies before with how he demanded the front office to give him a playoff team in his 2nd year in the league. Like I said before KOC from the Ringer mentioned that there has been a history already of players saying they don't like playing with Trae. 

Maybe, just maybe, all of this drama is coming from the 1 player that has a history of drama and Collins isn't at fault? I don't know just a theory.

(01-10-2021, 12:10 AM)KillerLeft Wrote: Good lord, Bagley sucks. I wish I didn’t have to watch him just to watch Halliburton.

My spicy but probably wrong take is that Bagley would be a good player if he was apart of a good franchise. 

To that point I think Bagley would thrive here if he could get over himself which will probably be the downfall of his career.

RE: AROUND the NBA: Harden is demanding a trade - khaled1987 - 01-10-2021

(01-10-2021, 05:05 AM)SleepingHero Wrote: My spicy but probably wrong take is that Bagley would be a good player if he was apart of a good franchise. 

To that point I think Bagley would thrive here if he could get over himself which will probably be the downfall of his career.

I think Bagley will be really good (border line all star) if he is well coached and in franchise where he isn't going to be "the guy we drafted over Luka" 
Like Fultz for example, Magic fans loved him before the injury, because for them he isn't a guy they paid a first and Tatum to get him

RE: AROUND the NBA: Harden is demanding a trade - ItsGoTime - 01-10-2021

(01-09-2021, 02:52 PM)omahen Wrote: I am not really sure it is a solution if teams would have additional two "out of league guys" on the roster. Would Philly lineup really look any better today? Really difficult situation. I guess its tough luck and still better to have the league under this conditions instead of waiting for vaccine.
Agree. On top of that, if there are 2-3 more players on the roster, that's 2-3 more players that can just be in COVID safety protocol based on contact tracing, or be the COVID carrier themselves. It's a mess, and I don't agree with the postponing of one game and not the next, but there's not a ton more to do that really stops this from happening. I think it's either work it out and play or don't.

RE: AROUND the NBA: Harden is demanding a trade - burekemde - 01-10-2021

(01-10-2021, 05:01 AM)SleepingHero Wrote: To be fair, we don't know what Collins did. Perhaps he did go to the coach and was stonewalled?

We dont know, but this is the only correct thing to do. He is not a coach. If he thinks the team should play according to his ideas and not the coachs, then he should ask his coach privately about this and suggest this, try to discuss. We do not know if he asked this directly to the coach initially, you are correct about this, it might have happened. But, if he did, and the coach said no, that he doesnt agree with Collins new tactics. Why in the world would Collins then afterwards again say this in the team meeting and ignite the division of the team? Coach has said no. So he would also say no at the team meeting. Obviously he wanted to start some problems. 

The coach is the coach. Collins is a player and he should follow the tactic the coach makes.

They were 4-4. You want Collins to refuse to accept the tactics of Carlisle when we are 4-4 and lose a few games? To go around the back of Carlisle and then tell at team meetings, how Collins think the Mavs should play?

Collins should play the way the coach says. If this is with another player getting more touches, he should accept being 2nd star.

Last season steroid issues. This season, he ignites and devides the locker room, he is accessing the territory of the coach and how the team should play. This is a HUGE red flag.

Not only that, but he is small and pushed around on defense. He can barely defend the small forwards. Add to that he is not a good teammate, and cant handle adversity and divides teammates, he is simply not a championship type of player. This is evident how much his team lost with him being the 1st star. They finally started winning with another player leading the team, and he immediately could not handle this.

He is a terrible fit here. Would not trade him straight for Maxi. Question is if even at a low cost, such as Powell, if this would be worthy at all, it may give more issues than benefits.

We need the 3rd star to be really good on defense, and have maturity and be teammplayer more than usual, and to accept being 3rd. This requires a lot of character.

RE: AROUND the NBA: Harden is demanding a trade - Mavs2019 - 01-10-2021

They not only had the team meeting leaked in The Athletic. Furthermore the same story leaked an alleged one-on-one conversation between Capela/Trae, where Capela referenced the same problems with Harden from the Houston days. When Capela was traded away from Houston he didn´t run to the press to air some dirty laundry. He never leaked the story publically, so I doubt he now suddenly used Trae Young as a proxy to put the story in the press. So you don´t really have to be a rocket scientist to figure out, who the leak is.

John Collins might be a character himself, but we have no idea how he approached the topic during the team meeting. The manner is important, but as far as the snitch goes, all the evidence points to Trae Young making a power-play.

(01-10-2021, 11:32 AM)burekemde Wrote: But, if he did, and the coach said no, that he doesnt agree with Collins new tactics. Why in the world would Collins then afterwards again say this in the team meeting and ignite the division of the team?

I mean, it is ALSO just as likely that Collins went to the coach, the coach agreed, and they both brought it up in a film session. After which Young got storming mad, quit on his team the next game, and called for the coach to be fired. Isn't that just as plausible scenario? And if that was the scenario, isn't Collins not at fault?

Players disagree with coaches all the time and overrule their call. Its not new, especially if you've played sports at a high level before. And film sessions often get intense because players don't like being critiqued.
(01-10-2021, 11:32 AM)burekemde Wrote: Collins should play the way the coach says. If this is with another player getting more touches, he should accept being 2nd star.

I mean Collins has always played the way the coach said in his entire career. He's still doing that. He hasn't stopped doing that. I don't see why you keep saying Collins is going AWOL after 1 comment in a film session.

(01-10-2021, 11:32 AM)burekemde Wrote: Last season steroid issues. This season, he ignites and devides the locker room, he is accessing the territory of the coach and how the team should play. This is a HUGE red flag.

Again I find it interesting that you think the division is coming from the person who questioned how the offense was running versus the person who has quit on his team 2 games in a row. Mind you, the ONLY reason Collins brought up how the offense is running is because after going 4-1 to start with, the Hawks lost 3 games in a row. It was that point Collins brought up in a film session to ask Trae to find him more. And the rest is history. 

(01-10-2021, 11:32 AM)burekemde Wrote: He is a terrible fit here. Would not trade him straight for Maxi. Question is if even at a low cost, such as Powell, if this would be worthy at all, it may give more issues than benefits.

From a purely on-court perspective, I don't see how anyone can say Collins wouldn't be a great fit. He's a stretch 4, who is also hyper athletic and plays above the rim. He has a strong mid range game and has a preference for PnR. He's also only freaking 23. His defensive metrics paint him as an average defender, which leads me to believe its more of a product of the teams he's on versus his actual ability on that end.

Also Mavs2019 spells it out pretty well. 

(01-10-2021, 11:52 AM)Mavs2019 Wrote: When Capela was traded away from Houston he didn´t run to the press to air some dirty laundry. He never leaked the story publically, so I doubt he now suddenly used Trae Young as a proxy to put the story in the press. So you don´t really have to be a rocket scientist to figure out, who the leak is.

John Collins might be a character himself, but we have no idea how he approached the topic during the team meeting. The manner is important, but as far as the snitch goes, all the evidence points to Trae Young making a power-play.

Just looking at the tea leaves, the only person here with a vested interest in leaking the story is not John Collins, but Trae Young. Young doesn't like the coach. The coach is under pressure from ownership to win now. How do you get rid of a coach? Well lose a bunch of games, and add in a tumultuous locker room. Just saying...

RE: AROUND the NBA: Harden is demanding a trade - omahen - 01-10-2021

Another season ending injury

https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/1348319826050244609

RE: AROUND the NBA: Harden is demanding a trade - Hypermav - 01-10-2021

[Image: DhbXd8kXUAA--bX.jpg]

RE: AROUND the NBA: Harden is demanding a trade - KillerLeft - 01-10-2021

(01-10-2021, 05:05 AM)SleepingHero Wrote: My spicy but probably wrong take is that Bagley would be a good player if he was apart of a good franchise. 

I do think where these guys end up after the draft has a ton to do with their development. I mean, look at DSJ - he wasn't what we wanted him to be here, but at least he seemed to be developing into an NBA player (kind of). Dude literally can't get off the bench in NY, and they REALLY need to find their PG of the future.

RE: AROUND the NBA: Harden is demanding a trade - HoosierDaddyKid - 01-10-2021

(01-10-2021, 12:28 PM)omahen Wrote: Another season ending injury

https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/1348319826050244609

Damn, he was developing into a decent center. I guess RoLo will get his minutes.

RE: AROUND the NBA: Harden is demanding a trade - HoosierDaddyKid - 01-10-2021

(01-09-2021, 07:59 PM)Omega_Supreme Wrote: Tyrese Maxey put up 39 points today most by a rookie this year.

Mavericks should have took him at 18, I think we will regret passing on that kid

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JmanUs4qhvs

You could say the same for Saddiq Bey. He leads all rookies in 3 pointers made. I would have took either over Green.

RE: AROUND the NBA: Harden is demanding a trade - Mavs2019 - 01-10-2021

(01-10-2021, 02:08 PM)HoosierDaddyKid Wrote: You could say the same for Saddiq Bey. He leads all rookies in 3 pointers made. I would have took either over Green.
Mavs always overthink or underprepare. It seems they settle on 2-3 guys they identify and love. They´ll put in an effort to get these guys, and when it does not happen, they basically don´t care about the draft anymore. In this case reported to be Haliburton. Green feels like another "random, whatever" choice.

Okay out of necessity the poor kid got 15 pity minutes against Orlando, but he was completely and utterly frozen out of the offense. Would it really hurt Carlisle to design just ONE play for the rookie early, whether it´s a corner three or alley-oop play to make him feel NEEDED and WANTED. Just to give him some extra confidence by showing him: I believe in you. You are part of our plan.