MavsBoard
2020-2021 AROUND the NBA: Archived - Printable Version

+- MavsBoard (https://www.mavsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Boards (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Dallas Mavericks and the NBA (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: 2020-2021 AROUND the NBA: Archived (/showthread.php?tid=622)

RE: AROUND the NBA: Harden is demanding a trade - Tyler - 01-09-2021

(01-09-2021, 05:12 AM)burekemde Wrote: IMO you go to the coach and have a private meeting with coach and the player you have problem with, and like this try to sort this out. You dont say it in an entire meeting with all players around, and staff, where this thing can leak out. You make it as secret as possible if you have an issue and try to solve it.

Let's put what happened into context.

After a series of bad losses against bad teams, Collins stood up in a team meeting and said what everyone else was already thinking -- that the offense needs to be more diverse than one guy jacking up 30-foot 3's with 15 seconds left on the shot clock if they want to win. The very next game against the Hornets, Young straight-up quit on the team to try to prove a childish point. Note that the Athletic article didn't come out until after that game. Young is clearly in the wrong, Collins is absolutely right, and the issue is about so much more than a personal beef between two players.

RE: AROUND the NBA: Harden is demanding a trade - burekemde - 01-09-2021

(01-09-2021, 12:20 PM)Tyler Wrote: Let's put what happened into context.

After a series of bad losses against bad teams, Collins stood up in a team meeting and said what everyone else was already thinking -- that the offense needs to be more diverse than one guy jacking up 30-foot 3's with 15 seconds left on the shot clock if they want to win. The very next game against the Hornets, Young straight-up quit on the team to try to prove a childish point. Note that the Athletic article didn't come out until after that game. Young is clearly in the wrong, Collins is absolutely right, and the issue is about so much more than a personal beef between Collins and Young.
'

They are both wrong. Collins is going behind the back on Young. He could have in more proper way discusss this with Young directly in a way teammates can do privately. Many of these things are solved in this manner without making a huge franchise mess about it.

And this is coaches job to address this and the strategy of the team. Its not Collins job to tell the team how to be run, "Offense needs to be more diverse"? Collins is not a coach. You dont want this guy to tell Luka and KP how they should play and that he should be the main guy, just because we lose a few games in a stretch. Losses will come, but you need to stick behind your leaders of the team.  Especially since they heavily improved.

Collins clearly ignited the issue, and did not solve it internally with Young and his coach. He is clerarly jealous being the 2nd option now that Young has taken over the team. I do not believe this guy is a fit to be a "3rd star" ,he won't accept even being the 2nd option.

Of course the thing will leak when you tell it in front of all staff members and the team. This is going behind the back on Young. Young on other hand clearly handled the issue wrongly as well. To his defense, it is also more difficult cicrumstances. If Collins came to him directly and the coach, it would have been all much easier for him to respond well. He probably felt embarrassed in front of the entire team and it came a shock why this was not told to him directly if someone has an issue with him. 

And to be honest, Young is asked to do this (play the way the team does) by his coach, so he aint doing anything wrong. This is coaches decision. I think Collins should ask this directly the coach and not in front of the team. THis would be much better than addressing Young directly. ANd the worst to do is to go with this to everyone. This is basically the same as going public. Of course it will leak. 

I dont hink Collins nor Young are winners. They are good players, but you need to handle a team and issues way better.

RE: AROUND the NBA: Harden is demanding a trade - DanSchwartzgan - 01-09-2021

(01-09-2021, 12:20 PM)Tyler Wrote: Let's put what happened into context.

After a series of bad losses against bad teams, Collins stood up in a team meeting and said what everyone else was already thinking -- that the offense needs to be more diverse than one guy jacking up 30-foot 3's with 15 seconds left on the shot clock if they want to win. The very next game against the Hornets, Young straight-up quit on the team to try to prove a childish point. Note that the Athletic article didn't come out until after that game. Young is clearly in the wrong, Collins is absolutely right, and the issue is about so much more than a personal beef between two players.

This is where I'd normally say "in Schwartz we trust".  But sending back enough value for a budding star who you would control as a RFA but only makes $4.1 million would be a real challenge.  I realize you could bring Snell into the deal to expand salary a bit, but so can anyone else trying to make a deal.

The other issue is what Atlanta will ask for (I'm going to internet slap anyone who tries to send Powell in a deal to a team that has Capella at starting center).  Atlanta is trying to step into relevance.  They don't want Green and a 2027 first.  They want players.  The asking price is AT LEAST Maxi and DFS for Collins and Snell (which would actually help them IMHO).  This board would go nuts if Donnie did such a deal (and fans in Atlanta would probably be equally upset).  Sometimes I wonder who it is that really loves "our boys in blue" more.  The MBT or fans?

RE: AROUND the NBA: Harden is demanding a trade - KillerLeft - 01-09-2021

(01-09-2021, 12:47 PM)DanSchwartzman Wrote: This board would go nuts if Donnie did such a deal (and fans in Atlanta would probably be equally upset).  Sometimes I wonder who it is that really loves "our boys in blue" more.  The MBT or fans?

For the record, I don't believe you could get Collins for that package. BUT, if you could, I'd definitely consider it, and wouldn't be pissed at the Mavs for pulling the trigger on that.

RE: AROUND the NBA: Harden is demanding a trade - omahen - 01-09-2021

Covid really hitting the league hard

https://twitter.com/ShamsCharania/status/1347966787305013251?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1347977359178260488%7Ctwgr%5E%7Ctwcon%5Es3_&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fbleacherreport.com%2Fdallas-mavericks

https://twitter.com/TheSteinLine/status/1347971831026733056

https://twitter.com/TheSteinLine/status/1347953364743704584

I don't get this. Why was Houston-OKC game postponed while Philly would be forced to forfeit without 8 players?

https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/1347972026586329099

RE: AROUND the NBA: Harden is demanding a trade - cow - 01-09-2021

The league should take a sabbatical

RE: AROUND the NBA: Harden is demanding a trade - dirkfansince1998 - 01-09-2021

(01-09-2021, 02:26 PM)cow Wrote: The league should take a sabbatical

Should have prepared for it. They just upgraded two-way deals and increased the game day roster size. Both moves aren´t helping the teams with COVID outbreaks.
Would have made more sense to add 2-3 additional roster spots.

(01-09-2021, 02:12 PM)omahen Wrote: I don't get this. Why was Houston-OKC game postponed while Philly would be forced to forfeit without 8 players?

My guess is that the league isn't buying the argument that Mike Scott's knee contusion suffered more than a week ago is serious enough to justify postponing the game.

RE: AROUND the NBA: Harden is demanding a trade - Kammrath - 01-09-2021

(01-09-2021, 02:32 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: Would have made more sense to add 2-3 additional roster spots.

100% this.

RE: AROUND the NBA: Harden is demanding a trade - SleepingHero - 01-09-2021

(01-09-2021, 02:12 PM)omahen Wrote: I don't get this. Why was Houston-OKC game postponed while Philly would be forced to forfeit without 8 players?

I don't get it either. Philly game deserves to be postponed.

RE: AROUND the NBA: Harden is demanding a trade - Hypermav - 01-09-2021

(01-09-2021, 02:32 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: Would have made more sense to add 2-3 additional roster spots.
I think Courtney Lee or JJB types could certainly help in our case.

RE: AROUND the NBA: Harden is demanding a trade - Kammrath - 01-09-2021

https://twitter.com/KyleNeubeck/status/1347990147103682562

RE: AROUND the NBA: Harden is demanding a trade - SleepingHero - 01-09-2021

(01-09-2021, 02:42 PM)Kammrath Wrote: https://twitter.com/KyleNeubeck/status/1347990147103682562

A bit comical aint it? HOU loses 4 players at the beginning of the season and the game is quickly postponed. Philly loses basically their entire starting lineup and the game goes on because the league doesn't think a player is that injured (Mike Scott).

(01-09-2021, 02:32 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: Should have prepared for it. They just upgraded two-way deals and increased the game day roster size. Both moves aren´t helping the teams with COVID outbreaks.

And its not even that Covid outbreak is the problem. Number of infections is kept low, which is great. Health first. But strict safety protocols can basically leave teams without half a team for a week, even though players are tested negative. I am not really sure it is a solution if teams would have additional two "out of league guys" on the roster. Would Philly lineup really look any better today? Really difficult situation. I guess its tough luck and still better to have the league under this conditions instead of waiting for vaccine.

To play devil's advocate, the league has to set some kind of consistent precedent here that prevents teams from fudging the injury reports to delay games when the inevitable quarantine issues come up. Mike Scott's knee bruise from December probably isn't really keeping him from playing. He just sucks. And it's simply on Philly's word that both Simmons and Embiid were fine two nights ago with no injuries but now can't play today. Ben Simmons wasn't even on the injury report at all before being suddenly ruled out at the last minute as Philly tried to get the game pushed back. I know it sucks for Philly fans, but there are enough question marks here that I don't automatically assume the NBA is in the wrong.

RE: AROUND the NBA: Harden is demanding a trade - MFFL OLD - 01-09-2021

(01-09-2021, 12:26 PM)burekemde Wrote: They are both wrong. Collins is going behind the back on Young. He could have in more proper way discuss this with Young directly

Are you sure Collins DIDN'T discuss it directly? Maybe Young blew him off so Collins took the next step

RE: AROUND the NBA: Harden is demanding a trade - Mavs2019 - 01-09-2021

(01-09-2021, 02:44 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: A bit comical aint it? HOU loses 4 players at the beginning of the season and the game is quickly postponed. Philly loses basically their entire starting lineup and the game goes on because the league doesn't think a player is that injured (Mike Scott).
The NBA simply thought that it was a one off. Now it becomes a regular occurence they switch to forfeits to maintain the schedule.

RE: AROUND the NBA: Harden is demanding a trade - cow - 01-09-2021

(01-09-2021, 02:32 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: Should have prepared for it. They just upgraded two-way deals and increased the game day roster size. Both moves aren´t helping the teams with COVID outbreaks.
Would have made more sense to add 2-3 additional roster spots.

That's not a bad idea if you could have those last 2-3 spots have maximum salary and then not count against the cap, but even then a lot of this doesn't make sense.  Gestation period is 5 days so I'm not sure why any Mav or Nugget is cleared to play at this point consider we had a player with a positive test and they played the night before.

RE: AROUND the NBA: Harden is demanding a trade - KillerLeft - 01-09-2021

(01-09-2021, 03:27 PM)cow Wrote: but even then a lot of this doesn't make sense.  Gestation period is 5 days so I'm not sure why any Mav or Nugget is cleared to play at this point consider we had a player with a positive test and they played the night before.

Yeah, that's what I'm struggling with, too. Maybe @"DrMav" can help us make sense of this?