MavsBoard
2020-2021 AROUND the NBA: Archived - Printable Version

+- MavsBoard (https://www.mavsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Boards (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Dallas Mavericks and the NBA (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: 2020-2021 AROUND the NBA: Archived (/showthread.php?tid=622)

RE: AROUND the NBA: Harden is demanding a trade - Mavs2019 - 01-04-2021

(01-04-2021, 07:48 PM)Omega_Supreme Wrote: Man Tyrese Maxey is getting some run with the starters for the 76ers right now. We have another data point for the Curry/Richardson swap as we could have drafted Maxey

Man why not just draft a Kentucky kid every draft, they have a really low bust rate in the NBA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xJEQEbPUZbA
I´ll answer that Quickley, with 16 excellent points and it will only take me 19 minutes, but it will positively reviewed with +17. He has already taken all the minutes of DSJ/Ntilikina.

Also Julius Randle had another criminal 6 TOs to go along with 28/16/9 on 54% shooting and the W over the Hawks. Wonder how long it would have taken Carlisle to yank him for the turnovers and not play him for a month.

4-3 Knicks now. Would be so them to make the play-offs, missing on the best lottery in a while.

RE: AROUND the NBA: Harden is demanding a trade - jesusshuttlesworth82 - 01-04-2021

I was about to say Quickley is already in the rotation also.  Beat me to it.

Lots of guys that were well liked on the forum are playing significant minutes.

RE: AROUND the NBA: Harden is demanding a trade - KillerLeft - 01-04-2021

(01-04-2021, 06:28 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: In the short term, the easiest way to upgrade THJ is for THJ to play better.

[Image: DO-Celebrate-your-wins-because-when-your...-right.gif]

RE: AROUND the NBA: Harden is demanding a trade - cow - 01-04-2021

(01-04-2021, 11:07 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: [Image: DO-Celebrate-your-wins-because-when-your...-right.gif]

Now make everyone else shoot 80% from three point land and will never lose another game.

RE: AROUND the NBA: Harden is demanding a trade - jesusshuttlesworth82 - 01-05-2021

a little Oladipo highlight

https://streamable.com/vjrvci

20ppg, over 40% on threes so far

RE: AROUND the NBA: Harden is demanding a trade - KillerLeft - 01-05-2021

(01-05-2021, 12:38 AM)jesusshuttlesworth82 Wrote: a little Oladipo highlight

https://streamable.com/vjrvci

20ppg, over 40% on threes so far

Wow.

RE: AROUND the NBA: Harden is demanding a trade - Mavs03 - 01-05-2021

(01-05-2021, 12:41 AM)KillerLeft Wrote: Wow.
I'm not surprised.  Victor is my #1 target in the 2021 offseason.  Would love to trade for him but the way he's playing his price might be too high.  Having Victor, J-Rich, Maxi, and KP on the floor together...defensively...would be unreal.  We could bring DFS off the bench to stabilize our 2nd unit from a defensive perspective.

RE: AROUND the NBA: Harden is demanding a trade - F Gump - 01-05-2021

(01-05-2021, 01:03 AM)Mavs03 Wrote: I'm not surprised.  Victor is my #1 target in the 2021 offseason.  Would love to trade for him but the way he's playing his price might be too high.  Having Victor, J-Rich, Maxi, and KP on the floor together...defensively...would be unreal.  We could bring DFS off the bench to stabilize our 2nd unit from a defensive perspective.

Mavs chance of signing VO in the summer will be almost impossible, if they want to keep J-Rich. There doesn't appear to be cap room for both.

So the only avenue left is an in-season trade, predicated on the idea that Indy might be willing to trade him for appropriate value if they think they won't be able to (or won't want to) re-sign him in the summer.

If there's a way to build up THJ's value, he's one obvious piece going the other way, since he and VO are a salary match for trade purposes and play the same position. That offers Indy a replacement, too, that they might be able to re-sign for much less than the max salary VO will be asking. But then what can be added that might satisfy Indy? Their price is said to be sky high.

RE: AROUND the NBA: Harden is demanding a trade - SkenfromLMF - 01-05-2021

It will probably take a sign and trade in the summer to get the pieces together. The advantage is that after the draft there would be another future pick available in the offering from Dallas' perspective. Ultimately Indy should be demanding NO LESS than ALL the picks Dallas has to offer, S&T J-Rich, and probably Green. I'd rather trade Timmy but... In a perfect world you try and get it done DP and a bag of salary filler because the picks and the rooks are the prize, but Indy is closer to being run by a Danny Ainge type than a Vlade Divac.

RE: AROUND the NBA: Harden is demanding a trade - omahen - 01-05-2021

(01-05-2021, 07:27 AM)SkenfromLMF Wrote: It will probably take a sign and trade in the summer to get the pieces together. The advantage is that after the draft there would be another future pick available in the offering from Dallas' perspective. Ultimately Indy should be demanding NO LESS than ALL the picks Dallas has to offer, S&T J-Rich, and probably Green. I'd rather trade Timmy but...

Best way to get an Oladipo caliber of expiring player is a TDL trade, IMHO. Indiana can't assume they will get anything for him in the summer, just like Boston didn't get anything for Hayward. 

Price at TDL can't be high for a half year rental. I guess a package of (expiring) salary filler, young player and FRP should be more than enough. A lot of contenders have a hard time for that salary filler. Having his bird rights would help a lot in retaining him, as you can offer him a five year contract while everyone else can go just with four years - if my memory is correct.

Man, Bagley is having a tough go of it.

https://twitter.com/NBA_Math/status/1346528910394052608?s=20

RE: AROUND the NBA: Harden is demanding a trade - Kammrath - 01-05-2021

[Image: Eq_U5h0UcAYGtCK?format=jpg&name=4096x4096]

(01-05-2021, 09:40 AM)omahen Wrote: Best way to get an Oladipo caliber of expiring player is a TDL trade, IMHO. Indiana can't assume they will get anything for him in the summer, just like Boston didn't get anything for Hayward. 

Price at TDL can't be high for a half year rental. I guess a package of (expiring) salary filler, young player and FRP should be more than enough. A lot of contenders have a hard time for that salary filler. Having his bird rights would help a lot in retaining him, as you can offer him a five year contract while everyone else can go just with four years - if my memory is correct.

"Price at TDL can't be high for a half year rental."

The price can be as high as Indy wants it to be. It's said that their price started high and has remained high. The main question with VO had been his health and ability going forward, and it looks like those questions have now been answered.

Indy is a well-managed franchise, and they don't tend to make panic moves (remember Paul George?), so it feels unlikely they will fail to extract full value if they trade him.

You are right that there's going to be a meaningful advantage in having Oladipo's Bird rights, if you want VO long term. But Indy knows that too. That's why their price has stayed high until someone meets it.

One other factor is in play for them. The trade deadline isn't a hard deadline for them - but it is for Dallas, and perhaps for others as well.

Indy still has other choices, and they know that. Turning down all offers still leaves them options of summer sign-and-trade from teams without cap room (like Miami, for instance), or even keeping him. Plus, there's value to them in playing out the season with VO in the lineup, unless they are wowed.

On the other hand, if Dallas wants him, they have to pay what it takes to get him with Bird rights by the deadline. Waiting until the summer to carve out enough cap room, or to do a sign-and-trade with talent going to the Pacers, would ultimately be even more expensive.

Any way they go, however, it won't be inexpensive. It may be more than the Mavs can swing.

RE: AROUND the NBA: Harden is demanding a trade - omahen - 01-05-2021

(01-05-2021, 03:29 PM)F Gump Wrote: The price can be as high as Indy wants it to be.

Sure it can be, doesn't mean anyone will pay it. It makes no sense to pay a fortune for a half year rental

(01-05-2021, 03:29 PM)F Gump Wrote: Indy is a well-managed franchise, and they don't tend to make panic moves

They also don't tend to wait for their star to leave but rather trade him while there is still time Smile  George was on a whole different level than Oladipo is atm and I don't think OKC Oladipo and Sabonis were considered a kings ransom for him. Sure they turned out great.

(01-05-2021, 03:29 PM)F Gump Wrote: Turning down all offers

Turning down all offers leaves them "at mercy" of Oladipo. There is absolutely zero guarantee they will get a SnT

(01-05-2021, 04:27 PM)omahen Wrote: Sure it can be, doesn't mean anyone will pay it. It makes no sense to pay a fortune for a half year rental

They also don't tend to wait for their star to leave but rather trade him while there is still time Smile  George was on a whole different level than Oladipo is atm and I don't think OKC Oladipo and Sabonis were considered a kings ransom for him. Sure they turned out great.

Turning down all offers leaves them "at mercy" of Oladipo. There is absolutely zero guarantee they will get a SnT

You make good points, but I don't think they reflect the full picture. We'll see.

While there is certainly a risk that VO will end up a "rental," Indy understands that the team who is trying to trade for him sees him as someone they will be able to re-sign, and will price him like that (rather than a rental price). Just like Paul George, in fact. 

You're right that there's risk for Indy to take it to the summer. That will certainly be a factor. But that doesn't mean they will be FORCED to trade him for cheap at the deadline - it only means they will weigh the summer risk versus whatever offer. Obviously, the worse the offer, the more willing they will be to just say no and take the risk. And you're not only bidding against Indy's sense of things, but also against other teams, so there's that.

We haven't even noted what's probably the biggest factor in all this, which can skew everything -- what does VO want? Indy has acted like he's leaving, and maybe he is, but things change. As for other teams, I bet that any who wants to trade for him will touch base with his agent on where he wants to play for the next few seasons. And probably Indy will do the same to get a preview of whether a sign-and-trade might be an option eventually, or even whether he might be staying.

RE: AROUND the NBA: Harden is demanding a trade - StepBackJay - 01-05-2021

(01-05-2021, 04:27 PM)omahen Wrote: Sure it can be, doesn't mean anyone will pay it. It makes no sense to pay a fortune for a half year rental

I am willing to just wait until the summer rather than give up anything good for Dipo. You give up something good and he can just walk anyway. I do think he should be a top target for the Mavs.

RE: AROUND the NBA: Harden is demanding a trade - SleepingHero - 01-05-2021

(01-05-2021, 05:50 PM)StepBackJay Wrote: I am willing to just wait until the summer rather than give up anything good for Dipo. You give up something good and he can just walk anyway. I do think he should be a top target for the Mavs.

I see this point but if the Mavs truly think Oladipo is their guy, then trying to sign him in the summer means they're committed to him. And if they are committed to that idea, then why not accelerate that plan and try to trade for him, since the plan was to go out and get him anyways? By trading for him the Mavs get the inside track of Oladipo before free agency and also get the rights to pay him more money than anyone else. 2 advantages the Mavs sorely need given their track record of landing big time free agents.

(01-05-2021, 05:50 PM)StepBackJay Wrote: I am willing to just wait until the summer rather than give up anything good for Dipo. You give up something good and he can just walk anyway. I do think he should be a top target for the Mavs.

While I like that idea in theory, it doesn't feel practical.

To have enough cap room for a max offer for VO is hard, unless you don't mind letting both J-Rich and THJ walk. Plus more. In addition to those two, you might ALSO have to give away Maxi, or WCS, or DFS, but if not one of them, then probably several other players too. Added together, it feels like way more roster surgery than the Mavs would be interested in doing. And is VO worth ALL of that talent?

A sign-and-trade probably wouldn't be any easier, because you're adding more assets going to Indy, plus you have to satisfy trade rules. And trading players getting big raises, like VO and perhaps J-Rich, can make a salary match problematic.

Obviously where there's a will there's a way, but it would be quite a challenge. If it were me, I think the summer equation is so undesirable that I would be looking for a trade before the deadline, with the summer not really being a consideration. But that's just me.

We went over this during the off-season.

1) Oladipo wants to get PAID.

2) Indiana isn’t willing (so far) to give up Oladipo for “rental who might not be as good anymore” price. I haven’t spoken with anyone who works there, obviously, but logic dictates that if they were, he’d have moved by now.

3) He/They tried to find a deal with a team who’d PAY him, AND pay the team the asset price they’re asking for the privilege.

4) Because teams were skeptical about his very serious injury (underplayed here routinely) and the fact that he hadn’t played well at all in the limited time since he’d returned, no such trade partner could be found. 

5) Rather than reduce the trade ask to “risky rental” price, resulting in a disappointing return for Indiana and possibly a transfer to somewhere Oladipo wasn’t interested in going, both parties agreed to start the season together, hoping he could play well enough to drum up some more interest from good teams. So far, so good on that.

I don’t see a scenario where a team trades for him without having an idea that they want to re-sign him AND that he wants to take their money, tbh, but I suppose we’ll see.

For the record, I concede that he looks GREAT right now, but I’m still out. The injury worries me so much, and I think this might be the textbook definition of “contract year” worry with the effort he’s giving. I could absolutely be wrong about that, obviously.

That's a really good and reasonable analysis of the situation. Thanks.