MavsBoard
2020-2021 AROUND the NBA: Archived - Printable Version

+- MavsBoard (https://www.mavsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Boards (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Dallas Mavericks and the NBA (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: 2020-2021 AROUND the NBA: Archived (/showthread.php?tid=622)

RE: AROUND the NBA: Harden is demanding a trade - ItsGoTime - 01-04-2021

(01-04-2021, 03:48 PM)cow Wrote: It's more of an exercise on what I'll think the Mavs will do, not what I personally want.  If that makes any sense.
Gotcha. Makes complete sense, if they have the assets to do such a deal.

RE: AROUND the NBA: Harden is demanding a trade - StepBackJay - 01-04-2021

Mavs need another playmaker/scorer to replace THJ who is terrible.

RE: AROUND the NBA: Harden is demanding a trade - dirkfansince1998 - 01-04-2021

(01-04-2021, 04:18 PM)StepBackJay Wrote: Mavs need another playmaker/scorer to replace THJ who is terrible.

The Powell/THJ bashing is getting out of hand.
It´s not like they are any worse (or better) than the other options. Yesterday WCS was worse than Powell has ever been this season but I don´t see anyone questioning him. When THJ is the only one that shows up against the Hornets and plays great defense in the next game against the Heat no one mentions it. But after a bad game the entire community cannot wait to throw him under the bus.

Yes the Mavs need more/better playmaking from the perimeter. But why is that on THJ? Can we at least question what anyone not named Doncic (or Brunson against the Bulls) is doing on offense. We all know that THJ is not a good 1st or 2nd option. Neither is Richardson. We also know that both are a lot better as spot up shooters.

(01-04-2021, 04:27 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: The Powell/THJ bashing is getting out of hand.
It´s not like they are any worse (or better) than the other options. Yesterday WCS was worse than Powell has ever been this season but I don´t see anyone questioning him. When THJ is the only one that shows up against the Hornets and plays great defense in the next game against the Heat no one mentions it. But after a bad game the entire community cannot wait to throw him under the bus.

Yes the Mavs need more/better playmaking from the perimeter. But why is that on THJ? Can we at least question what anyone not named Doncic (or Brunson against the Bulls) is doing on offense. We all know that THJ is not a good 1st or 2nd option. Neither is Richardson. We also know that both are a lot better as spot up shooters.

I don't disagree with what you are saying for the most part. I think THJ is just a limited player and I don't want him on a winning basketball team. He will certainly look better when he's more in spot-up shooting mode but he is still the guy to upgrade. I am higher on Powell even tho I think he's just an okay player he won't kill you, especially when he's moved to the bench.

For the Mavs to get where they want to go they need another reliable playmaker/scorer. This would be a guy that can get buckets when Doncic or KP are out (or both in last night's case). THJ and J Rich are too redundant and J Rich is the keeper in that tandem. Convert THJ into a guy that can score and/or make plays and you have raised the ceiling of this basketball team.

(01-04-2021, 04:38 PM)StepBackJay Wrote: Convert THJ into a guy that can score and/or make plays and you have raised the ceiling of this basketball team.

Get a better player and the team improves. Don´t think anyone would disagree. Question is if that kind of player is available for trade (remember that the Mavs don´t have a lot to give) or in free agency.

RE: AROUND the NBA: Harden is demanding a trade - ItsGoTime - 01-04-2021

(01-04-2021, 04:49 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: Get a better player and the team improves.
I don't see him saying this. I see him saying get a player, even if he is on the same level as THJ in what he does that switches the skillsets to a player that can make plays for himself and others to go with who we have on the roster currently. I keep saying this, but DRose with his skillset would do wonders on this team IMO.

RE: AROUND the NBA: Harden is demanding a trade - mavsluvr - 01-04-2021

(01-04-2021, 04:27 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: The Powell/THJ bashing is getting out of hand.

I think there's a lot to this. It's sort of in the nature of fan boards to scapegoat players, and this one is better than most about that, but some people are putting a lot on Powell and THJ that doesn't really belong on them. If one were to replace all of Powell's minutes with Maxi, WCS, Bobi, and Johnson, and replace all of Tim's minutes with the other guards, I see nothing to indicate that the team would be likely to have done better, and may well have done worse. The alternatives to those two players all have their own issues. 

Powell's injury is what it is, and he necessarily will have to operate within those limitations. Rick and the medical team evidently think he can get closer to where he used to be, and I don't have any information to the contrary. He is actually much smarter than WCS, who seems to be a bit of a coach's nightmare -- a guy that you never know what you're going to get when he's on the floor. Tim's assignment is to be the team's second scoring option while KP is out, and he is obviously trying to broaden his game. Volume shooters inherently have up and down nights. 

Part of the overall issue is, tbh, using these players in ways they're not good at. For example, iirc, they had put Tim on LaVine when Zach got going. What were they expecting? A lot better defenders than THJ have been stifled in attempts to stop LaVine. I'm not really throwing stones at Carlisle, either -- he always experiments early in the season, and some experiments inevitably are going to work better than others. 

This isn't really intended to be so much a defense of Powell and THJ as a comment that the Mavs' issues aren't nearly as simple as taking a couple of complementary players off the court and substituting others for them. Maybe they will be flipped eventually, maybe they won't, but for now, I think the best course of action is in helping them try to improve, hard as that is to stomach in the short run.

RE: AROUND the NBA: Harden is demanding a trade - cow - 01-04-2021

The Powell bashing is justified at this point. Powell was unplayable yesterday. He air balled two (2!) lay ups. I'll give you the fact that we don't have better options but boy oh boy is he a bummer. Our entire front court doesn't rebound and unless we fix that issue, New York is going to be very happy with the outcome of our season.

(01-04-2021, 04:49 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: Get a better player and the team improves. Don´t think anyone would disagree. Question is if that kind of player is available for trade (remember that the Mavs don´t have a lot to give) or in free agency.

I don't know if this is a controversial take or not but I'd rather have George Hill the rest of the year than THJ if given the choice.

(01-04-2021, 05:34 PM)cow Wrote: The Powell bashing is justified at this point.  Powell was unplayable yesterday.  He air balled two (2!) lay ups.  I'll give you the fact that we don't have better options but boy oh boy is he a bummer.  Our entire front court doesn't rebound and unless we fix that issue, New York is going to be very happy with the outcome of our season.

I am not a Powell superfan or anything but I do think he will do better as the season progresses. He is still rusty but actually moves around better than I expected. I think pairing him with DFS in the starting lineup is crazy and won't last. When KP is back I expect Powell to be moved to the bench. It's also noticeable that Powell has not been in the closing lineups when it's "win" time. I don't think Powell on this team is a major problem except for Rick's blind devotion to him no matter the circumstances.

All that being said I think THJ is a bigger more immediate problem. THJ is being relied upon too much. I realize KP & Luka were out and will both be back soon but I don't want THJ taking big shots in the playoffs. He needs to get moved this year or he will be a liability.

(01-04-2021, 05:13 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote: I don't see him saying this. I see him saying get a player, even if he is on the same level as THJ in what he does that switches the skillsets to a player that can make plays for himself and others to go with who we have on the roster currently. I keep saying this, but DRose with his skillset would do wonders on this team IMO.

I would love D Rose if we can get him.

RE: AROUND the NBA: Harden is demanding a trade - burekemde - 01-04-2021

(01-04-2021, 02:38 AM)juanc Wrote: Josh Green has 1 year and 7 months to score 17 points in a game before you compare him to Saddiq(That's how much younger he is than Bey, who is the same age as Luka(A month younger))
Or 2 years and 5 months younger than Bane.
Terry is 1 month older than Green.

And that's why you don't judge rookies in their first year. Luka realy spoiled us.

This is a valid point. I have a different view: IMO its fine to judge the rookies by their first year, but it cant be used to predict future seasons accurately. This is a more proper middle ground.

If a rookie performs well, while another is not, in a given rookie season, it should definitely be taken into account. That S. Bey and Bane are playing well and contributing, right now, this absolutely needs to be taken into consideration. Their game is translating to the NBA. This season they are contributing to winning basketball, while other rookies are not. This is important point. This season now is important, as important as future seasons.

Even if in 5 years from now Josh Green becomes better, maybe. But the first years do matter. Every season matters equally.

At the moment, nothing indicates Green will develop more than S. Bey or Bane down the road. They might equally and as likely improve or even more than Green, making the gap even larger. Time will tell. But for this season it seems se should have tried to get Haliburton, S.Bey and Bane. All of them would absolutely contributed more than Green, and played more and better as well. Green has done a solid job, but does not show special skills.

(01-04-2021, 05:34 PM)cow Wrote: The Powell bashing is justified at this point.  Powell was unplayable yesterday.  He air balled two (2!) lay ups.  I'll give you the fact that we don't have better options but boy oh boy is he a bummer.  Our entire front court doesn't rebound and unless we fix that issue, New York is going to be very happy with the outcome of our season.

He was better than WCS. At least he was able to get some stops on defense and actually boxed out his matchup most of the time. WCS had one of his famous off games. Mistake after mistake leading to offensive rebounds and easy layups/dunks or FTs.
For me it is more about the tendency to blame Powell even though the other guys played just as bad or even worse. I don´t think anyone would argue that Powell had a good game against the Bulls.

Personally I agree with you that both aren´t getting the job done right now. I wanted the Mavs to sign a big forward or versatile bigman with the MLE instead of WCS.
We can only hope that KP stays healthy and fixes most of the problems.

(01-04-2021, 05:20 PM)mavsluvr Wrote: I think there's a lot to this. It's sort of in the nature of fan boards to scapegoat players, and this one is better than most about that, but some people are putting a lot on Powell and THJ that doesn't really belong on them. If one were to replace all of Powell's minutes with Maxi, WCS, Bobi, and Johnson, and replace all of Tim's minutes with the other guards, I see nothing to indicate that the team would be likely to have done better, and may well have done worse. The alternatives to those two players all have their own issues. 

Powell's injury is what it is, and he necessarily will have to operate within those limitations. Rick and the medical team evidently think he can get closer to where he used to be, and I don't have any information to the contrary. He is actually much smarter than WCS, who seems to be a bit of a coach's nightmare -- a guy that you never know what you're going to get when he's on the floor. Tim's assignment is to be the team's second scoring option while KP is out, and he is obviously trying to broaden his game. Volume shooters inherently have up and down nights. 

Part of the overall issue is, tbh, using these players in ways they're not good at. For example, iirc, they had put Tim on LaVine when Zach got going. What were they expecting? A lot better defenders than THJ have been stifled in attempts to stop LaVine. I'm not really throwing stones at Carlisle, either -- he always experiments early in the season, and some experiments inevitably are going to work better than others. 

This isn't really intended to be so much a defense of Powell and THJ as a comment that the Mavs' issues aren't nearly as simple as taking a couple of complementary players off the court and substituting others for them. Maybe they will be flipped eventually, maybe they won't, but for now, I think the best course of action is in helping them try to improve, hard as that is to stomach in the short run.

I am more optimistic ab Powell even tho he hasn't looked great. I realized watching WCS this year that he is not a good basketball player which is why he got the contract he got. For what he got he is fine. We have these 2 bigs on these smaller contracts and we really need a bench big that you can rely on honestly. The difference in quality once you get to the MLE tier (even 1 yr MLE) is significant. WCS is not consistent enough to be more than a guy that fills in when other guys aren't available. He is a guy that needs to sit until he figures out how to play basketball. I expect him to not get any minutes once KP is back.

All that being said the best thing the Mavs can do is figure out an upgrade for THJ both short and long-term.

Don´t think DRose or GHill are upgrades over THJ. One cannot shoot at all. The other is an even worse shot creator. Both are undersized. Rose is even worse on defense. GHill might be slightly better. Both are old and injury-prone.
That´s exactly the kind of lateral move I want the Mavs to avoid at all costs.

RE: AROUND the NBA: Harden is demanding a trade - KillerLeft - 01-04-2021

In the short term, the easiest way to upgrade THJ is for THJ to play better. If he does, the offense will start to more closely resemble last season’s, and if he doesn’t, this is going to be a long season. 

Maybe (perhaps hopefully) they’ll move him for an upgrade at the TDL, or this summer, or simply let him expire and figure out a way to create enough cap space to do something interesting. But in the meantime, I’m not sure how healthy it is to fantasize about a world in which he isn’t on the team and, frankly, really crucial to the chances of success.

RE: AROUND the NBA: Harden is demanding a trade - RDB - 01-04-2021

(01-04-2021, 03:14 PM)omahen Wrote: Good for him. However, huge difference between Seth situation in Dallas and Philly. He is surrounded by 4 good to great defenders in Philly who cover his weaknesses. Dallas didn't have that. That's why they can play him more.

Besides, it's still a very small sample. He is shooting insane 62/51/100 at the moment.
I agree...I just thought it was a good read and I know there are a lot of Curry fans here.

RE: AROUND the NBA: Harden is demanding a trade - F Gump - 01-04-2021

(01-04-2021, 03:48 PM)cow Wrote: It's more of an exercise on what I'll think the Mavs will do, not what I personally want.  If that makes any sense.

Then why are you saying Green or Griffin are good ideas we should think about, when they don't fit what the Mavs ever do? "Not Ever" feels like a pretty good guide.

(01-04-2021, 05:53 PM)StepBackJay Wrote: All that being said I think THJ is a bigger more immediate problem. THJ is being relied upon too much. I realize KP & Luka were out and will both be back soon but I don't want THJ taking big shots in the playoffs. He needs to get moved this year or he will be a liability.

THJ is what he is, wildly inconsistent and performs worse the more that is asked of him.  A lot of our ills we be cured once KP and Luka are fully back and healthy, but we desperately need someone in the front court with size that can rebound.  

On the plus side, I think Maxi played better yesterday.

(01-04-2021, 06:33 PM)F Gump Wrote: Then why are you saying Green or Griffin are good ideas we should think about, when they don't fit what the Mavs ever do? "Not Ever" feels like a pretty good guide.

Except I didn't say that.  Read my post history.  I want no part of Griffin, I don't think he fits the team chemistry.  You could probably sell me on Green but his contract is the opposite of exciting.

(01-04-2021, 06:01 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: He was better than WCS. At least he was able to get some stops on defense and actually boxed out his matchup most of the time. WCS had one of his famous off games. Mistake after mistake leading to offensive rebounds and easy layups/dunks or FTs.
For me it is more about the tendency to blame Powell even though the other guys played just as bad or even worse. I don´t think anyone would argue that Powell had a good game against the Bulls.

Personally I agree with you that both aren´t getting the job done right now. I wanted the Mavs to sign a big forward or versatile bigman with the MLE instead of WCS.
We can only hope that KP stays healthy and fixes most of the problems.

I'm one of the bigger Powell supporters here and I usually don't dump on the guy.  His one elite skill just isn't showing up right now.  WCS and Powell were both so bad, it's hard for me to determine who was better.  Our rebounding just frustrates me but that was always something I took pride in when I played.

RE: AROUND the NBA: Harden is demanding a trade - Omega_Supreme - 01-04-2021

Man Tyrese Maxey is getting some run with the starters for the 76ers right now. We have another data point for the Curry/Richardson swap as we could have drafted Maxey

Man why not just draft a Kentucky kid every draft, they have a really low bust rate in the NBA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xJEQEbPUZbA