MavsBoard
2020-2021 AROUND the NBA: Archived - Printable Version

+- MavsBoard (https://www.mavsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Boards (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Dallas Mavericks and the NBA (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: 2020-2021 AROUND the NBA: Archived (/showthread.php?tid=622)

RE: AROUND the NBA: Harden is demanding a trade - khaled1987 - 12-28-2020

(12-28-2020, 01:26 AM)jesusshuttlesworth82 Wrote: Pretty sure it's just message board fans that wont trade a pick in the 16-24 range fOr AnYtHiNg lEsS tHaN aN AlL sTaR.

Kinda detached from reality if you look at what all-star level players are really being traded for.  Even Covington got traded for two picks better than the Mavs 18th pick.

How do you know it is 16-24th pick? Considering it is the pick that will be traded between 2025-2027 (due to protection of 2025) which also make it difficult to trade 2 picks due to 7 years rule. 

Luka might not be here beyond 2025, since he is most likely renewing 4+1 year like KP did. That means he will be FA in 2026 and can ask out in 2025 if he wants.

In addition, it is about the opportunity cost, you trade that pick and it will be really hard to get any All-Star caliber player since we won't have any meaningful picks in the future. 

You wait till you pay the Knicks 2021 at least, for a year or two and we will have the picks and hopefully assets for next star wanting out. Rather than wasting it for the Gordon/Covington of players.

PS: If you mean the 18th pick, then yeah it was ok to trade it for solud player, but as you said it wasn't worth that level of player and we were outbid.

RE: AROUND the NBA: Harden is demanding a trade - KillerLeft - 12-28-2020

(12-28-2020, 01:26 AM)jesusshuttlesworth82 Wrote: The question I'm posing is simple:  Before you started "coming around on him" because we picked him, would you have traded Josh Green and THJ for Oladipo?

Oladipo, no, for a few reasons.

But to your point, there are many non-all stars for whom I would gladly have exchanged that package, probably.

RE: AROUND the NBA: Harden is demanding a trade - SleepingHero - 12-28-2020

(12-28-2020, 12:58 AM)jesusshuttlesworth82 Wrote: The Cavaliers are 3-0 WTF

Andre Drummond is a top 15 NBA player.

Also being serious, I think Darius Garland and Colin Sexton have started to figure it out. Love is still a great NBA player and Drummond isn't deadweight. I'm shocked their 3-0 though.

RE: AROUND the NBA: Harden is demanding a trade - omahen - 12-28-2020

(12-28-2020, 12:07 AM)Kammrath Wrote: Yeah, it is just impatient message board fans.

WTF!? And you are what? Donnie?

RE: AROUND the NBA: Harden is demanding a trade - cow - 12-28-2020

(12-28-2020, 01:20 AM)jesusshuttlesworth82 Wrote: Yeah, just like everyone in NY said Porzingis was.

Dipo and KP are certainly comparable talents!

RE: AROUND the NBA: Harden is demanding a trade - cow - 12-28-2020

(12-28-2020, 01:36 AM)khaled1987 Wrote: In addition, it is about the opportunity cost, you trade that pick and it will be really hard to get any All-Star caliber player since we won't have any meaningful picks in the future. 

This x1000.  We are so close to have some trade flexibility.  I don't mind using a FRP now but would need to be for a no-brainer but, not for a player that had one outlier season, that has red flag medicals, that is on an expiring deal and wants a huge contract, and who asked teams to trade for him in front of his current teammates. mid-game.

RE: AROUND the NBA: Harden is demanding a trade - Kammrath - 12-28-2020

(12-28-2020, 01:26 AM)jesusshuttlesworth82 Wrote: Before you started "coming around on him" because we picked him, would you have traded Josh Green and THJ for Oladipo?

Absolutely not. 

1) No, I did not like Green in my predraft evals because of his poor ability around the rim. I also missed how smart he was off the ball on offense. But even then I trust the Mavs to do their homework, so I wouldn't have wanted to throw away the #18 pick in this past deep draft.

2) I am totally on team "trade THJ" BUT before this season I would NOT have traded him straight up for Dipo. I have such incredible concerns about Dipo's health and THJ at least is healthy and tries (and has shot better from three).

3) I have stated recently that I am ok with the Mavs taking a calculated risk on Dipo if THEY deem it the right decision. That does NOT mean I will ever personally think it is the right decision. Because from what I see and know (and I am just a fan, so my opinions are very limited) I would not take a risk on Dipo because I think he is a ticking time bomb. 

P.S. I believe I was wrong on my eval of Green at this point, but I didn't "come around" because the Mavs picked him, but because I like what I have seen on the court so far. But I STILL would have taken Achiuwa or Maledon over him. I may or may not be right in those evals, but thats my take.

(12-28-2020, 02:26 AM)omahen Wrote: WTF!? And you are what? Donnie?

I don't get the outrage...?

Am I wrong that most fans on this message board want to do some big trades NOW (or this season) to try and improve the roster?

I think that is a very accurate take. I consider that to be "impatient" versus the smaller "patient" camp that is more concerned about asset management and don't want to do some quick risky moves but wait to see if the right guy becomes available (like KP suddenly did).

P.S. The "impatient" camp could have the right opinion or they could just not want to wait for success. The "patient" camp could miss a good opportunity. I am not saying one is "superior" to the other.

(12-28-2020, 08:35 AM)Kammrath Wrote: I don't get the outrage...?

??? You called people that think differently than you do impatient. Is it really difficult to understand why some are offended? You are implying you are superior in your thinking. Like when you called thinking that disagrees with your opinion on how KP and Gobert would work together, lazy armchair GMs.  

(12-28-2020, 08:35 AM)Kammrath Wrote: I am not saying one is "superior" to the other.

You are implying all the time Smile  Even in this post, before you made a correction in the P.S.

(12-28-2020, 08:35 AM)Kammrath Wrote: Am I wrong that most fans on this message board want to do some big trades NOW (or this season) to try and improve the roster?

You are not. With the asterix, that "NOW" should be considered by TDL, at least in my case. I find it very unlikely for any trade to happen before and of course the team should get a longer look. I would take the risk with Dipo in the offseason IF the price would be THJ+pick though, as discussed many times. Of course we have no idea what Indy is demanding or if Mavs are even interested.

I have said before. I believe this team is one right move away from being a true contender. And it does not have to be a superstar. If you believe that, there is no need to be "patient", as you call it. Also, if ou believe that, picks and developing players are not really important. Of course it is difficult to say which player is right and which is not, but it is easy to see which area is the most critical - secondary playmaking/facilitating/creating, whatever you prefer to call it. Due to Luka and KP size this guy can literally be on any position 1-4 with THJ being the likely odd man out of the starting five. Guys that can do that and are also good on defense are very expensive and we both don't have the ammo for them nor there is anyone left in the free agency. So that guy will have an asterix attached. Either he is bad defensively (LaVine) or his durability is a concern (Oladipo). I am sure Mavs have way more information than we will ever have to (mor) acurately assess those risks. I would prefer to keep THJ if possible and make Johnson the salary filler. It is very likely we will be able to resign him at TDL anyway, if we like him so much. Hield can be an interesting option, also DeRozan. 

One thing is becoming very certain - Chicago will have a huge firesale in a couple of months (even sooner?) if they don't start performing way better.

RE: AROUND the NBA: Harden is demanding a trade - DanSchwartzgan - 12-28-2020

Frank hitting 2/3'rds of his 3's so far this season.  It probably won't last Smile

https://www.nba.com/knicks/video/frank-ntilikina-highlights-knicks-bucks-2020-12-27

RE: AROUND the NBA: Harden is demanding a trade - aguiar95 - 12-28-2020

(12-28-2020, 10:07 AM)DanSchwartzman Wrote: Frank hitting 2/3'rds of his 3's so far this season.  It probably won't last Smile

https://www.nba.com/knicks/video/frank-ntilikina-highlights-knicks-bucks-2020-12-27

Griffin went 8-16 on his 3-pt shots last game.

(12-28-2020, 09:21 AM)omahen Wrote: You called people that think differently than you do impatient.

So the dictionary definition of "impatient" is "restlessly eager" and I think that 100% describes the majority of this message board. This board tends to be "restlessly eager" to make roster upgrades....hence "impatient." If you choose to be offended by that, that is on you. I am just attempting to state the reality of the situation, I am not saying those with that position are "horrible people."

There is then a minority position on this board that is wanting to not take risks in roster moves unless it is for a very clear and obvious jump in talent. This is the "patient" group. 

That's it man, nothing else to see here.

RE: AROUND the NBA: Harden is demanding a trade - deronjohn - 12-28-2020

(12-28-2020, 10:18 AM)aguiar95 Wrote: Griffin went 8-16 on his 3-pt shots last game.

Blake Griffin would be perfect for us. He has changed his game a great deal as well. 

I would be supportive of that move for Griffin since he could possibly opt out much cheaper next year.

I know he is finally healthy but you are somewhat protected by him just being a 2 year rental.

RE: AROUND the NBA: Harden is demanding a trade - vfromlmf - 12-28-2020

Thinking objectively about the Harden situation - and looking at what the Spurs got back for Kawhi - I'm ready to make a prediction.

Harden --> Pacers

Oladipo + Turner + pick --> Rockets

RE: AROUND the NBA: Harden is demanding a trade - Mavs2019 - 12-28-2020

(12-28-2020, 10:46 AM)vfromlmf Wrote: Thinking objectively about the Harden situation - and looking at what the Spurs got back for Kawhi - I'm ready to make a prediction.

Harden --> Pacers

Oladipo + Turner + pick --> Rockets
I actually think it´s going to be the Bulls centered around Lavine. Sad

..but just in case it´s time for Luka to hit the recruitor mode. Jan 3rd is approaching fast.

RE: AROUND the NBA: Harden is demanding a trade - ClutchDirk - 12-28-2020

https://twitter.com/BleacherReport/status/1343578146910720001

RE: AROUND the NBA: Harden is demanding a trade - ClutchDirk - 12-28-2020

https://twitter.com/BleacherReport/status/1343585027880349696

https://twitter.com/TheNBACentral/status/1343582021520646144

RE: AROUND the NBA: Harden is demanding a trade - StepBackJay - 12-28-2020

How in the world did the Nets lose to the Hornets? That's a problem, we play them next.