MavsBoard
2020-2021 AROUND the NBA: Archived - Printable Version

+- MavsBoard (https://www.mavsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Boards (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Dallas Mavericks and the NBA (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: 2020-2021 AROUND the NBA: Archived (/showthread.php?tid=622)

RE: AROUND the NBA: MIA interested in Harden, Herro available - DanSchwartzgan - 12-14-2020

ESPN's prediction for record and standings in the west.  Nothing earth shattering here:

The contenders

1. Los Angeles Lakers: 49-23
2. LA Clippers: 46-26
3. Denver Nuggets: 45-27
4. Dallas Mavericks: 43-29
5. Utah Jazz: 43-29
6. Portland Trail Blazers: 41-31

Dallas finished percentage points ahead of Utah in our panel's predictions.
You can break down the West contenders into three tiers.

The Lakers stand alone as the clear-cut favorites, a defending champion that upgraded the supporting cast around arguably the two best players in the game by adding dynamic offensive firepower (Montrezl Harrell and Dennis Schroder) and defensive-minded, savvy vets (Marc Gasol and Wesley Matthews).

The Clippers, fresh off being the biggest disappointment in the bubble, are the biggest threat to the reigning kings, as well as the team with the most to prove.

Then there is a pack of talented teams that would need things to break quite well for them to get out of the West.

The Nuggets, with an established superstar in Nikola Jokic, bubble breakout sensation Jamal Murray and perhaps a third star in Michael Porter Jr., deserve top billing in that bunch after their 2020 run to the West finals, according to our panel.

Dallas might be the most dangerous due to Luka Doncic's dominance, but the durability of co-star Kristaps Porzingis looms as a large question.

The Jazz were an in-and-out Game 7 buzzer-beater away from knocking off the Nuggets in the quarterfinals -- and they get back sharpshooter SF Bojan Bogdanovic after wrist surgery kept him out of the bubble.

Portland was a popular choice after its productive offseason, including the addition of Robert Covington, who provides the Trail Blazers hope of playing defense well enough to ride Damian Lillard's frequently hot hand deep into the postseason. -- Tim MacMahon

RE: AROUND the NBA: MIA interested in Harden, Herro available - Kammrath - 12-14-2020

https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/1338469547255459840

RE: AROUND the NBA: not impressed by Wall, Harden still pushing to be traded - Kammrath - 12-14-2020

https://twitter.com/BobbyMarks42/status/1338473819753865222

RE: AROUND the NBA: MIA interested in Harden, Herro available - StepBackJay - 12-14-2020

(12-14-2020, 01:33 AM)SleepingHero Wrote: I was shocked to see how great KD looked out there. A little slower, but still just as deadly. KD is a monster.

As if the East wasn't already hard between Bucks, Celtics, Heat, and Philly. Now add in the Nets? East is going to be fun

Right I mean maybe a little slower but honestly if I had been in a cave the last 2 years and I saw that game there is no way I would have noticed that KD looked any different than he always did.

Honestly I thought post-achilles KD would look like late prime Dirk when he won the championship. He is still way more athletic than Dirk ever was. His defense looks great, man its unbelievable. I think its great, he's one of the best players of all time so I like him returning to form.

RE: AROUND the NBA: not impressed by Wall, Harden still pushing to be traded - StepBackJay - 12-14-2020

(12-14-2020, 08:28 AM)Kammrath Wrote: https://twitter.com/BobbyMarks42/status/1338473819753865222

Dang Harden is really getting traded. The Sixers trade seems like the most obvious but then they are still acting like they don't want to trade Simmons. I am just unimpressed still with a Sixers team that is starting Danny Green and Seth Curry. Good players but not starters on a championship team unless it happens to have Lebron and AD on it.

Nets could offer a good package but the fit would be really weird with KD and Kyrie. Having 3 high usage players would be insane. I wonder if they are going to end up sending him to the Heat for Herro, Robinson, picks, filler (Olynk, etc). 

Unless Rockets can get Ben Simmons they aren't going to get an adequate return but at least the Heat could give them Herro who would be a core player for them going forward, picks, cap relief and so on.

I don't care for the fit of Harden, Butler and so on but that's fine with me. I don't mind Harden going East one bit.

RE: AROUND the NBA: not impressed by Wall, Harden still pushing to be traded - omahen - 12-14-2020

(12-14-2020, 09:23 AM)StepBackJay Wrote: I wonder if they are going to end up sending him to the Heat for Herro, Robinson, picks, filler (Olynk, etc). 

Heat have no picks worth mentioning to trade. Herro is extremely overhyped. He is a nice young player but he will never be a franchise cornerstone. 

Trading for Simmons might make sense for everyone. I would take the Nets package (LeVert, Dinwiddie, Allen,...) if I am Houston.

Here is a dark horse candidate - New Orleans. Ingram as centerpiece, as many picks as you want. Playing next to Zion hype could make Harden interested, as league really wants him (Zion) to be successful.

Chicago (combo of OPJ, LaVine, WCJ, Markkanen) and Minnesota can build nice packages for Houston.

RE: AROUND the NBA: not impressed by Wall, Harden still pushing to be traded - StepBackJay - 12-14-2020

Nets could offer a good package and I would love to see how Harden, Kyrie and Durant could co-exist. It would be a dream to watch.

Simmons for Harden still makes the most sense to me but I could see Sixers talking themselves into Simmons being a guy they keep for another 10 years vs Harden being like a 2-3 yr window.

RE: AROUND the NBA: not impressed by Wall, Harden still pushing to be traded - embellisher - 12-14-2020

(12-14-2020, 10:36 AM)omahen Wrote: Here is a dark horse candidate - New Orleans. Ingram as centerpiece, as many picks as you want. Playing next to Zion hype could make Harden interested, as league really wants him (Zion) to be successful.

I dunno, I don't see Harden accepting a trade to NO. I mean, there's really nothing he can do except say no, but I don't think Houston will trade him somewhere he doesn't want to go.

RE: AROUND the NBA: not impressed by Wall, Harden still pushing to be traded - Kammrath - 12-14-2020

https://twitter.com/TheNBACentral/status/1338507838553985026

https://twitter.com/TheNBACentral/status/1338494860110737410

RE: AROUND the NBA: not impressed by Wall, Harden still pushing to be traded - vfromlmf - 12-14-2020

I could see Orlando taking a risk. They have expiring and young players to deal. They've been mediocre for a while. Florida is sellable. 

I doubt Houston would be interested in Aaron Gordon but he could be dealt for an expiring, a young player and a first to add to a package centered on two of Jonathan Isaac, Mo Bamba or Markelle Fultz.

Just for fun --

Houston gets
- Fournier
- James Johnson
- Bamba
- Isaac
- Josh Green
- No 1 from Dallas and Orlando

Orlando gets
- Harden
- Tucker

Dallas gets
- Aaron Gordon

You could also swap Isaac for Fultz if so inclined

RE: AROUND the NBA: not impressed by Wall, Harden still pushing to be traded - Benskix2 - 12-14-2020

(12-14-2020, 12:23 PM)Kammrath Wrote: https://twitter.com/TheNBACentral/status/1338494860110737410

Nets GM:  Would you consider K..
Houston: No
Nets: Kyri..
Houston: NO
Nets: Kyrie Ir...
Houston:  Hell NO
Nets: Kyrie Irving!
Houston: click
Nets: That's cool we didn't want to trade him anyways.

https://twitter.com/TheSteinLine/status/1338565820172165120

RE: AROUND the NBA: not impressed by Wall, Harden still pushing to be traded - khaled1987 - 12-14-2020

(12-14-2020, 11:48 AM)StepBackJay Wrote: Simmons for Harden still makes the most sense to me but I could see Sixers talking themselves into Simmons being a guy they keep for another 10 years vs Harden being like a 2-3 yr window.

Harden and Embiid are bad fit together as it gets. Both have 2 years in contract which means if it doesn't work both of them could force their way out in 7 months.

I really thinkit is an awful move for the Sixers.

I don't agree that Harden and Embiid won't fit. One is a playmaking, scoring guard, another a 2-way center with a lot of offensive skill. Embiid would certainly fit better with Harden than Simmons who is like a point-forward mis-cast as a point guard who won't even shoot the ball.

RE: AROUND the NBA: not impressed by Wall, Harden still pushing to be traded - vfromlmf - 12-14-2020

Fit on the court is ok but off the court is iffy; and to khaled's point, worst case scenario is they both want out in 6 months. That would be a disaster. 

If I were the Rockets I might just play hardball and see what happens with Harden. He's well paid and should be a professional. He's not going to tank games.

RE: AROUND the NBA: not impressed by Wall, Harden still pushing to be traded - khaled1987 - 12-14-2020

(12-14-2020, 03:29 PM)StepBackJay Wrote: I don't agree that Harden and Embiid won't fit. One is a playmaking, scoring guard, another a 2-way center with a lot of offensive skill. Embiid would certainly fit better with Harden than Simmons who is like a point-forward mis-cast as a point guard who won't even shoot the ball.

Morey spoke about how TMac and Yao were disaster together. 
DHoward and h Harden weren't better, Embiid is a post player and for someone with high usage who loves to attack the basket like Harden, it is awful for both.
Simmons isn't the best fit either, I will give you that. But he is a 2 way player who is a pass first player who can be used as point forward if they get a good guard beside him.
Simmons will be simply more willing to swollow the badfit, unlike Harden. And they have him under their control for few more years.

Okay the fit with Durant, Kyrie and Harden would be insane but it doesn't mean the Nets aren't interested in getting Harden. At the end of the day there are going to be some teams with assets like the Nets or Sixers who will want to get a top 5 player in the league.

(12-14-2020, 04:57 PM)StepBackJay Wrote: Okay the fit with Durant, Kyrie and Harden would be insane but it doesn't mean the Nets aren't interested in getting Harden. At the end of the day there are going to be some teams with assets like the Nets or Sixers who will want to get a top 5 player in the league.

I think the main issue is Morey experience with SG and C combo that didn't work. I suspect he legitimately want to try Simmons and Embiid under new coach with more fitting pieces

RE: AROUND the NBA: not impressed by Wall, Harden still pushing to be traded - TXBamanut - 12-14-2020

(12-14-2020, 12:23 PM)Kammrath Wrote: https://twitter.com/TheNBACentral/status/1338507838553985026

Here's the deal....JH may not be impressed, but I'll bet the Houston FO was.

I think that if they get this package or close to it.  They get a decent haul of first rounders back from their previous trades...they get this cancer in clown clothes out of the locker room, and putting Simmons at the 4 with what they've signed, I think they are a better team and more of a threat.

Now, it's up to Cousins to stay straight...so there's that, but the Houston I watched the other night was much more unpredictable than the Harden version.  They passed the ball, moved it quickly, would be IMMENSELY better defensively...

They should get this, do the Tucker extension, and it would be pretty awesome...for Houston.  Then you have the freak show, playoff burnout action going on in Phillly...I just feel sorry for Seth.  All the rest get what they deserve for defying the karma of the draft with "The Process"....cue the theme from the Benny Hill Show.

(12-14-2020, 05:16 PM)khaled1987 Wrote: I think the main issue is Morey experience with SG and C combo that didn't work. I suspect he legitimately want to try Simmons and Embiid under new coach with more fitting pieces

Right but that was infinity years ago and Harden/Embiid are different players. I don't disagree that he might rather have Simmons. It's hard to say really. I think Simmons is a very good player but I can't see how he and Embiid will ever fit together. 

I could see Morey wanting to give it a go for one year before breaking them up. Harden is already 31 so the window is starting to close on his prime.

The issue is when you trade a star you rarely if ever get in return what you gave up. So if Morey trades Simmons a year later its probably not going to be for a Simmons-level player or a Harden-level player. Same with Embiid. If it were up to me I would keep Simmons and trade Embiid. I think Embiid is a very good player but he's never in shape. I think Simmons could be like the Sixers in his prime Draymond and you try to get a true point guard to pair with Simmons.