MavsBoard
2020-2021 AROUND the NBA: Archived - Printable Version

+- MavsBoard (https://www.mavsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Boards (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Dallas Mavericks and the NBA (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: 2020-2021 AROUND the NBA: Archived (/showthread.php?tid=622)

RE: AROUND the NBA: Dec 22 Tip-Off, 72 gms | Harden no-showed HOU practice - KillerLeft - 12-11-2020

I’m pretty excited to watch Halliburton tonight, especially because of the Mavs’ supposed interest in him.

RE: AROUND the NBA: Dec 22 Tip-Off, 72 gms | Harden no-showed HOU practice - jesusshuttlesworth82 - 12-11-2020

(12-11-2020, 09:24 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: - S. Bey looks like a good NBA defender in his first game. My new comparisation is PJ Tucker. I really underrated his lower body strength. The guy is a brick wall and great post defender.

https://www.qabickcents.com/dallasbasketball/showthread.php?tid=200&pid=42091#pid42091

so glad basketball is back

RE: AROUND the NBA: Dec 22 Tip-Off, 72 gms | Harden no-showed HOU practice - dirkfansince1998 - 12-11-2020

(12-11-2020, 10:25 PM)jesusshuttlesworth82 Wrote: https://www.qabickcents.com/dallasbasketball/showthread.php?tid=200&pid=42091#pid42091

so glad basketball is back

Nailed it.

RE: AROUND the NBA: Dec 22 Tip-Off, 72 gms | Harden no-showed HOU practice - KillerLeft - 12-11-2020

Welp, Sacramento is still trying to make Barnes a 3, and they still suck.

I was a huge fan of Fox in that draft class, but I think they’ve almost completely failed to develop him. Once the ball is stopped in transition he’s almost no threat at all. I have a feeling that extension is going to look rough in a couple of years.

RE: AROUND the NBA: Dec 22 Tip-Off, 72 gms | Harden no-showed HOU practice - Branduil - 12-11-2020

Guys Sacramento has missed drafting in the last few years:

-Devin Booker
-Pascal Siakam
-Donovan Mitchell
-Luka

RE: AROUND the NBA: Dec 22 Tip-Off, 72 gms | Harden no-showed HOU practice - Mavsfan12 - 12-12-2020

(12-11-2020, 11:19 PM)Branduil Wrote: Guys Sacramento has missed drafting in the last few years:

-Devin Booker
-Pascal Siakam
-Donovan Mitchell
-Luka

Well, a lot of teams could say that - outside of Luka.  Those other 3 weren't super high picks.  I think booker/mitchell were both #13's and siakam was a late first.  The Mavs could have had Mitchell instead of DSJ...  

That is an interesting timeline.  If we draft Mitchell, do we suck badly enough in 2018 to draft Luka? Do we still send him to NY in the KP deal?

RE: AROUND the NBA: Dec 22 Tip-Off, 72 gms | Harden no-showed HOU practice - BolsDamols - 12-12-2020

We could easily have been in the same road as Sacramento
Had we not struck a deal for Luka, we easily could have had DSJ and Wendell Carter as building blocks  Big Grin

RE: AROUND the NBA: Dec 22 Tip-Off, 72 gms | Harden no-showed HOU practice - SleepingHero - 12-12-2020

(12-11-2020, 11:03 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: Welp, Sacramento is still trying to make Barnes a 3, and they still suck.

I was a huge fan of Fox in that draft class, but I think they’ve almost completely failed to develop him. Once the ball is stopped in transition he’s almost no threat at all. I have a feeling that extension is going to look rough in a couple of years.

Sacramento's rise seemed to suddenly stagnate as soon as they traded Barnes for air.

The Kings were 29-26, 3 games above .500 in the 18/19 season before they traded for Barnes. They closed out that season 10-17 and barely missing the playoffs. Mind you the Kings were a surprise team, playing super up tempo and by in large outperforming everyone's expectations.

They followed that up with a 31-41 season. So the Kings since trading for Barnes are 41-58, a solid 41% win percentage.

Now is this all Barnes fault? No. But if he was a foundational piece for a franchise, they wouldn't have gotten considerably worse after trading for him. At some point his talent would have propelled them to at LEAST be better than what they were. But I guess not...

RE: AROUND the NBA: Dec 22 Tip-Off, 72 gms | Harden no-showed HOU practice - Branduil - 12-12-2020

(12-12-2020, 12:18 AM)Mavsfan12 Wrote: Well, a lot of teams could say that - outside of Luka.  Those other 3 weren't super high picks.  I think booker/mitchell were both #13's and siakam was a late first.  The Mavs could have had Mitchell instead of DSJ...  

That is an interesting timeline.  If we draft Mitchell, do we suck badly enough in 2018 to draft Luka? Do we still send him to NY in the KP deal?
Well, who knows. But we dropped down in the Luka draft, so if we had been better we might have been the team to jump up to the 2nd pick and not even need to trade to draft him.

We probably wouldn't trade for KP unless 3 draft picks was enough to get him. In which case we would have kept our draft pick in Luka's rookie year. Maybe we get lucky and draft Tyler Herro. Luka/Mitchell/Herro would be a nice young core.

RE: AROUND the NBA: Dec 22 Tip-Off, 72 gms | Harden no-showed HOU practice - Mavs2019 - 12-12-2020

(12-12-2020, 01:33 AM)SleepingHero Wrote: Sacramento's rise seemed to suddenly stagnate as soon as they traded Barnes for air.

The Kings were 29-26, 3 games above .500 in the 18/19 season before they traded for Barnes. They closed out that season 10-17 and barely missing the playoffs. Mind you the Kings were a surprise team, playing super up tempo and by in large outperforming everyone's expectations.

They followed that up with a 31-41 season. So the Kings since trading for Barnes are 41-58, a solid 41% win percentage.

Now is this all Barnes fault? No. But if he was a foundational piece for a franchise, they wouldn't have gotten considerably worse after trading for him. At some point his talent would have propelled them to at LEAST be better than what they were. But I guess not...
They also fired their head coach and replaced him with a nobody.

RE: AROUND the NBA: Dec 22 Tip-Off, 72 gms | Harden no-showed HOU practice - Mavs2019 - 12-12-2020

Giles had a nice debut for the Blazers. Wow.

18 pts (8-13)
14 rebs
2 blks
3 stls

Derrick Jones and Covington with great debuts, too.

Maybe time for a small wager on the Blazers for the title.

It´s basically their WCF finals team from 2019 plus returning Nurkic as the starting center, plus Melo as a 6th man and replacing Harkless with Covington, Aminu with Jones and Curry with Trent Jr.

Hard to argue they are not a much better team than the version that was the SuperWarriors away from an NBA title.

RE: AROUND the NBA: Dec 22 Tip-Off, 72 gms | Harden no-showed HOU practice - Kammrath - 12-12-2020

Quote:This could be a make-or-break season for [b]Knicks[/b] guard [b]Dennis Smith[/b] Jr. and he’s impressed coach [b]Tom Thibodeau[/b] in the early days of camp, according to Greg Joyce of the New York Post. Smith could be a restricted or unrestricted free agent next offseason, depending upon the Knicks’ desire to extend him a qualifying offer. He’s also been subjected to trade rumors.

[i]“I think he’s come into camp and he’s been very aggressive,”[/i] Thibodeau said. [i]“I think each day, he’s gotten better and better. That’s what we’re asking him to do — to run his team, keep us organized, take advantage of what your strengths are, your ability to get downhill to force people to collapse, and then make the right play.”[/i]

RE: AROUND the NBA: Dec 22 Tip-Off, 72 gms | Harden no-showed HOU practice - Hypermav - 12-12-2020

(12-11-2020, 09:26 PM)Kammrath Wrote: https://twitter.com/TheNBACentral/status/1337569345824808961

Luka would have dunked it Smile

RE: AROUND the NBA: Dec 22 Tip-Off, 72 gms | Harden no-showed HOU practice - DanSchwartzgan - 12-12-2020

(12-12-2020, 03:33 AM)Mavs2019 Wrote: Giles had a nice debut for the Blazers. Wow.

18 pts (8-13)
14 rebs
2 blks
3 stls

Derrick Jones and Covington with great debuts, too.

Maybe time for a small wager on the Blazers for the title.

It´s basically their WCF finals team from 2019 plus returning Nurkic as the starting center, plus Melo as a 6th man and replacing Harkless with Covington, Aminu with Jones and Curry with Trent Jr.

Hard to argue they are not a much better team than the version that was the SuperWarriors away from an NBA title.

I like the names of who Portland got in the off season, but the decisions around terms a puzzling to me.  Giles is a minimum contract.  Portland won't have any type of hold on him.  The second year of DJJr is PO.  I suspect if he continues to hit 100% of his 3's he'll be back on the market next summer and Portland won't have any rights on him.  They are $1.8mm under the tax and have Collins and Trent as RFA's next summer (when half the league will have significant space) and Kanter and Melo as UFA's.  Nurcic, Roco and Hood are free in 22.  

In fact, in 22, they will have $76mm tied to 32 year old Lillard and 31 year old McCollum and $40mm to fill out the rest of the roster.  It is now or never for Portland, but their conundrum is if they play well this season teams will attempt to pick them clean in free agency next summer.

RE: AROUND the NBA: Dec 22 Tip-Off, 72 gms | Harden no-showed HOU practice - TXBamanut - 12-12-2020

I watched the Houston game and it's one game...it's against Chicago...but....

First Impressions
--- John Wall is still John Wall...every bit.
--- Boogie Cousins is like 20-30 pounds lighter, no more baby fat (for the first time I've ever seen him) and in the first 1:50 he had 5 points (a 3 and a breakaway dunk), 1 rebound, 1 steal, 1 block and was extremely vocal on defense.. That could easily go away, but he showed it all today.... 3-4 from 3, he did it on the block, and he drove to the basket.  He took two charges...

The centers for Houston --- Caboclo and Cousins went 8-12 from 3....67%  W...o...w  And that's with NO Christian Wood and no PJ Tucker...and NO James Harden.  They were sharing the ball and playing better defense than I've seen from Houston...granted Chicago, but I look at rotations and effort more than the opponent.  Were they in the right place?  Did they get to the shooters? 

You have to think...it's pre-season, but I'd be entertaining the opening thought "Does James Harden's lack of leadership and cancerous attitude and complete NON-winner mentality make us worse than his talent and ball domination makes them better?"  Could they get another player like a Ben Simmons, kick up their defense, have a roll man in the pick and roll...I'd ship that overgrown toddler out to whatever would give me a bag of soccer balls and a pile of picks and say "Good riddance, moron".

If I'm a Houston fan, I'm looking at this game as hope to say not only does this allow them to trade James Harden, but they might be almost as good (or even better) after they trade him...and be set up for the future in picks that they had to trade to get Westbrook and Paul.

RE: AROUND the NBA: Dec 22 Tip-Off, 72 gms | Harden no-showed HOU practice - omahen - 12-12-2020

(12-12-2020, 09:34 AM)DanSchwartzman Wrote: I like the names of who Portland got in the off season, but the decisions around terms a puzzling to me.  Giles is a minimum contract.  Portland won't have any type of hold on him.  The second year of DJJr is PO.  I suspect if he continues to hit 100% of his 3's he'll be back on the market next summer and Portland won't have any rights on him.  They are $1.8mm under the tax and have Collins and Trent as RFA's next summer (when half the league will have significant space) and Kanter and Melo as UFA's.  Nurcic, Roco and Hood are free in 22.  

In fact, in 22, they will have $76mm tied to 32 year old Lillard and 31 year old McCollum and $40mm to fill out the rest of the roster.  It is now or never for Portland, but their conundrum is if they play well this season teams will attempt to pick them clean in free agency next summer.

Hood is not guaranteed for next season and Nurkic has only 4 mil guaranteed. Trent caphold is only 2 mil. I guess Giles role will be as fifth big, behind Nurkic and Collins at C and behind RoCo and Melo at PF. 

For 2021/2022 Portland only has Lillard, McCollum and RoCo guaranteed, which is 85 mil. Add Little and Trent caphold and they get to 90 mil. If they keep Nurkic, they are at 102 mil. Basically they have their starting five locked, unless someone goes insanly high on Trent (very possible they extend him before 2021 FA). I guess they will resign Collins to something reasonable up to 10 per year range before 2021 FA. If Trent gets 20 per (a lot imho), they are basically at tax line. 

For 2022 - I guess they will have to say goodbye to McCollum or accept they will decline, as you said.

RE: AROUND the NBA: Dec 22 Tip-Off, 72 gms | Harden no-showed HOU practice - omahen - 12-12-2020

(12-12-2020, 10:34 AM)TXBamanut Wrote: I watched the Houston game and it's one game...it's against Chicago...but....

First Impressions
--- John Wall is still John Wall...every bit.
--- Boogie Cousins is like 20-30 pounds lighter, no more baby fat (for the first time I've ever seen him) and in the first 1:50 he had 5 points (a 3 and a breakaway dunk), 1 rebound, 1 steal, 1 block and was extremely vocal on defense.. That could easily go away, but he showed it all today.... 3-4 from 3, he did it on the block, and he drove to the basket.  He took two charges...

The centers for Houston --- Caboclo and Cousins went 8-12 from 3....67%  W...o...w  And that's with NO Christian Wood and no PJ Tucker...and NO James Harden.  They were sharing the ball and playing better defense than I've seen from Houston...granted Chicago, but I look at rotations and effort more than the opponent.  Were they in the right place?  Did they get to the shooters? 

You have to think...it's pre-season, but I'd be entertaining the opening thought "Does James Harden's lack of leadership and cancerous attitude and complete NON-winner mentality make us worse than his talent and ball domination makes them better?"  Could they get another player like a Ben Simmons, kick up their defense, have a roll man in the pick and roll...I'd ship that overgrown toddler out to whatever would give me a bag of soccer balls and a pile of picks and say "Good riddance, moron".

If I'm a Houston fan, I'm looking at this game as hope to say not only does this allow them to trade James Harden, but they might be almost as good (or even better) after they trade him...and be set up for the future in picks that they had to trade to get Westbrook and Paul.

Chicago looked absolutely terrible. I am not sure if it was because Houston was so good or Chicago so bad. Houston did shot unrealistic high 3 pt %. Chicago was experimenting a lot with LaVine, White and OPJ organizing offense - each got a chance and no one was successful. They clearly lack team (pass) first PG of Rubio caliber. Markannen and WCJ don't work either. Unless things improve dramatically, Chicago will be very active at TDL. 

Houston will certainly trade Harden, it is just a matter of time. Imho

RE: AROUND the NBA: Dec 22 Tip-Off, 72 gms | Harden no-showed HOU practice - TXBamanut - 12-12-2020

If I'm a Houston fan, I go from "oh no the world is over because Harden is gone" to "maybe it wouldn't be so bad".

RE: AROUND the NBA: Dec 22 Tip-Off, 72 gms | Harden no-showed HOU practice - Tyler - 12-12-2020

https://twitter.com/ShamsCharania/status/1337796510537441284

RE: AROUND the NBA: Dec 22 Tip-Off, 72 gms | Harden no-showed HOU practice - DanSchwartzgan - 12-12-2020

(12-12-2020, 11:03 AM)omahen Wrote: Chicago looked absolutely terrible.  They clearly lack team (pass) first PG of Rubio caliber. Markannen and WCJ don't work either. Unless things improve dramatically, Chicago will be very active at TDL. 

Agreed.  I still don't know if last season was all on Boylan or if this is just a poorly put together roster.  I thought Patrick Williams looked like a keeper last night.  Very impressed.  I like Satoransky and think he's a really good third guard option (unfortunately they kind of have that already in White).  A team that counts on LaVine to be anything more than its third best player is probably doomed.  And what about Markkanen?  Will Chicago match a big dollar offer if one comes along?

While I agree they will be active, it is really hard to predict what direction the will go.  They can go after a star in free agency this summer and pretend they are somewhat close.  Or, should they tear it down and rebuild.  If you are Dallas, what do you really want from that roster?  Satoransky replacing Brunson?  I'm for giving OPJ a tryout if all it would cost is Johnson.  But, it will take more than that to trade match.  Carter?  Only if Chicago decides to sell low.  I would have counted him as a really high-floor guy coming out of Duke.  He really impacts Chicago positively on the defensive end, but looks lost (even last night) at the offensive end.  But he's a good interior defender who hasn't shot well as a pro.  Kind of the opposite of what we need.  I once advocated for Thaddeus Young, but we kind of got him without the $6mm partial guarantee in 21 in the form of Johnson.