MavsBoard
2020-2021 AROUND the NBA: Archived - Printable Version

+- MavsBoard (https://www.mavsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Boards (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Dallas Mavericks and the NBA (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: 2020-2021 AROUND the NBA: Archived (/showthread.php?tid=622)

RE: AROUND the NBA: PHI open to trading Ben Simmons | CLE, IND, MIN, TOR, SAC interested - SleepingHero - 07-19-2021

(07-19-2021, 12:01 PM)StrandedOnBeauboisHill Wrote: One other thing I would add is that if Adams stretched the floor vertically it would also help but he doesn't really do that either.  I just worry he would clog the paint on offense.

https://www.basketballnetwork.net/steven-adams-working-on-his-three-pointer-tells-us-small-ball-is-here-to-stay/

Seems like Steven is 1 step ahead of you  Wink

RE: AROUND the NBA: PHI open to trading Ben Simmons | CLE, IND, MIN, TOR, SAC interested - StrandedOnBeauboisHill - 07-19-2021

(07-19-2021, 12:24 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: https://www.basketballnetwork.net/steven-adams-working-on-his-three-pointer-tells-us-small-ball-is-here-to-stay/

Seems like Steven is 1 step ahead of you  Wink

Haha I was wondering if someone was going to point out those videos.  Let's just say I'll believe it when I see it...

RE: AROUND the NBA: PHI open to trading Ben Simmons | CLE, IND, MIN, TOR, SAC interested - cjeter24 - 07-19-2021

(07-19-2021, 10:40 AM)Kammrath Wrote: Would anyone consider....

KP + JR

for

Adams + Bledsoe + #10 + #35

?

1) I personally think both Adams & Bledsoe would be better fits with Luka than KP & JR. So you might upgrade both positions right away.
2) Bledsoe becomes an expiring after next season because the last year of his contract is not guaranteed. 
3) Adams is cheaper than KP by $14M per yr and both have some defensive liability in a playoff situation. Adams expires sooner than KP. Adams has been a consistent positive for his teams, helping with rebounding, screen setting, and overall great effort.
4) You get draft capital to either use or pass along in another trade.

I would consider 10 and a future 1st. 

10 is not enough for a salary wash and a massive downgrade talent wise.

RE: AROUND the NBA: PHI open to trading Ben Simmons | CLE, IND, MIN, TOR, SAC interested - fifteenth - 07-19-2021

We need Adam's just for the personality! That guy is a hoot! 

Would love a 3 pt shooting version!

RE: AROUND the NBA: PHI open to trading Ben Simmons | CLE, IND, MIN, TOR, SAC interested - cow - 07-19-2021

Are there 10 players in this draft that everyone loves?

I'm torn on Adams.  I bitch a lot about rebounding so he solves that issue.  On the other hand, the modern NBA has greatly reduced the value of his skillset.  

We own our 2022 pick but even with a trade that reduces our talent, Luka too good to let the team be bad enough to make that a top five pick.  The ping pong ball Gods hate us anyway.

I also don't believe that Nico is in win now mode.  The roster isn't close to that and we don't have enough pieces on the chess board to make that viable.  While I could see us getting talent to take a step forward, I never rule out taking a step back for the greater good of the future (assets, cap space).

RE: AROUND the NBA: PHI open to trading Ben Simmons | CLE, IND, MIN, TOR, SAC interested - KillerLeft - 07-20-2021

(07-19-2021, 08:39 PM)cow Wrote: I'm torn on Adams.  I bitch a lot about rebounding so he solves that issue.  On the other hand, the modern NBA has greatly reduced the value of his skillset.  

Absolutely. He'd help a ton with rebounding during the regular season, but that's not where the bar should be anymore. When things start to count, he's going to get schemed off of the court from the second round on, at least.

RE: AROUND the NBA: PHI open to trading Ben Simmons | CLE, IND, MIN, TOR, SAC interested - Mapka - 07-20-2021

(07-19-2021, 08:39 PM)cow Wrote: Are there 10 players in this draft that everyone loves?

I'm torn on Adams.  I bitch a lot about rebounding so he solves that issue.  On the other hand, the modern NBA has greatly reduced the value of his skillset.  

We own our 2022 pick but even with a trade that reduces our talent, Luka too good to let the team be bad enough to make that a top five pick.  The ping pong ball Gods hate us anyway.

I also don't believe that Nico is in win now mode.  The roster isn't close to that and we don't have enough pieces on the chess board to make that viable.  While I could see us getting talent to take a step forward, I never rule out taking a step back for the greater good of the future (assets, cap space).

I'm pretty sure Nico is in win now mode.
His boss is telling him to be, his superstar is addicted to winning and hates losing, the rest of the roster is in his prime or far from playing, we have cap but no pics. What else than win now can he do?

RE: AROUND the NBA: PHI open to trading Ben Simmons | CLE, IND, MIN, TOR, SAC interested - ClutchDirk - 07-20-2021

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10008195-report-blazers-expected-to-sign-norman-powell-to-new-contract-amid-lillard-rumors

RE: AROUND the NBA: PHI open to trading Ben Simmons | CLE, IND, MIN, TOR, SAC interested - Kammrath - 07-20-2021

https://twitter.com/TheNBACentral/status/1417483621930254348

RE: AROUND the NBA: PHI open to trading Ben Simmons | CLE, IND, MIN, TOR, SAC interested - SleepingHero - 07-20-2021

Rockets...? Kings...? 

I suppose the Rockets are trying to package #2 and whatever salary matching for Dame? Does that make them even remotely better? 

Dame on that Rockets team is a 10th seed.

The Kings I suppose are trying a package of Fox+Hield+Haliburton+picks, but I don't think anyone values their guys as much as Sacramento thinks.

RE: AROUND the NBA: PHI open to trading Ben Simmons | CLE, IND, MIN, TOR, SAC interested - cow - 07-20-2021

(07-20-2021, 01:00 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: The Kings I suppose are trying a package of Fox+Hield+Haliburton+picks, but I don't think anyone values their guys as much as Sacramento thinks.

I'd do that Kings trade in a heartbeat if Dame really wants out.  Flip Hield for an additional first and have two young studs in Fox and Haliburton.  That would also drain most of the talent from the Kings so those draft picks are going to be valuable.

RE: AROUND the NBA: PHI open to trading Ben Simmons | CLE, IND, MIN, TOR, SAC interested - cow - 07-20-2021

(07-20-2021, 05:13 AM)Mapka Wrote: I'm pretty sure Nico is in win now mode.
His boss is telling him to be, his superstar is addicted to winning and hates losing, the rest of the roster is in his prime or far from playing, we have cap but no pics. What else than win now can he do?

I guess it depends how you define win now.  Mavs are kind of stuck in the middle.  Too good to be a lottery team, not nearly good enough to be a championship team.  I think they'll try to improve the team with our available cap space, but if that doesn't work out, you could use that cap space to take on shorter, bad contracts and try to grab assets.  They could do this with KP too.  You could also flip our better players/contracts (Brunson, DFS, Maxi) for future picks.  

I agree that Mark wants to win, he's always impatient.  But if you can't land an impact player with our cap space, there is no use in spending money on a player along the lines of Wright or Richardson as you aren't improving the ceiling of the team (2nd round exit).

RE: AROUND the NBA: PHI open to trading Ben Simmons | CLE, IND, MIN, TOR, SAC interested - Mavs2021 - 07-20-2021

(07-20-2021, 01:00 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: Rockets...? Kings...? 

That´s also a way to make Dame feel better about the situation in Portland. LOL. Big Grin

RE: AROUND the NBA: PHI open to trading Ben Simmons | CLE, IND, MIN, TOR, SAC interested - mvossman - 07-20-2021

(07-20-2021, 01:19 PM)cow Wrote: I guess it depends how you define win now.  Mavs are kind of stuck in the middle.  Too good to be a lottery team, not nearly good enough to be a championship team.  I think they'll try to improve the team with our available cap space, but if that doesn't work out, you could use that cap space to take on shorter, bad contracts and try to grab assets.  They could do this with KP too.  You could also flip our better players/contracts (Brunson, DFS, Maxi) for future picks.  

I agree that Mark wants to win, he's always impatient.  But if you can't land an impact player with our cap space, there is no use in spending money on a player along the lines of Wright or Richardson as you aren't improving the ceiling of the team (2nd round exit).

I don't think they are quite as far as you are stating from competing, especially if KP gets back to what he was last year.  I don't think Cuban brought in Nico and Kidd to trade away players for picks.  That's not something he did back when it made sense, and I would argue it probably does not make sense now.  Luka is about to sign his first extension.  The clock is ticking.  They have 34 in cap and need to add two starters, preferably one who is at least close to "star".  If they have to go old (Lowry/Conley), bad fit (DeRozan), out for a year (Kawhi) or overpay an RFA (Collins/Ball) they are going to go balls out to get that star.  And if they completely fail on getting a star, then they will go hard at second tier guys (Powell, Fournier, Holmes, Barton, Schroder, Dinwiddie) and there are a lot of guys around the MLE that could easily start on this team.

There are probably over 20 guys out there before you get to Wright/Richardson level.  We are one of the few teams that has significant cap space and can spend well over MLE on multiple players.  This is it.  I don't think they can push the can down the road any more after Luka signs his extension.  They have to get some talent in, and I think they will do anything they can to do it.

RE: AROUND the NBA: PHI open to trading Ben Simmons | CLE, IND, MIN, TOR, SAC interested - HoosierDaddyKid - 07-20-2021

(07-20-2021, 01:19 PM)cow Wrote: I guess it depends how you define win now.  Mavs are kind of stuck in the middle.  Too good to be a lottery team, not nearly good enough to be a championship team.  I think they'll try to improve the team with our available cap space, but if that doesn't work out, you could use that cap space to take on shorter, bad contracts and try to grab assets.  They could do this with KP too.  You could also flip our better players/contracts (Brunson, DFS, Maxi) for future picks.  

#Truth. They're stuck in no-mans land.

RE: AROUND the NBA: PHI open to trading Ben Simmons | CLE, IND, MIN, TOR, SAC interested - HoosierDaddyKid - 07-20-2021

(07-20-2021, 04:50 PM)mvossman Wrote: I don't think they are quite as far as you are stating from competing, especially if KP gets back to what he was last year.  I don't think Cuban brought in Nico and Kidd to trade away players for picks.  That's not something he did back when it made sense, and I would argue it probably does not make sense now.  Luka is about to sign his first extension.  The clock is ticking.  They have 34 in cap and need to add two starters, preferably one who is at least close to "star".  If they have to go old (Lowry/Conley), bad fit (DeRozan), out for a year (Kawhi) or overpay an RFA (Collins/Ball) they are going to go balls out to get that star.  And if they completely fail on getting a star, then they will go hard at second tier guys (Powell, Fournier, Holmes, Barton, Schroder, Dinwiddie) and there are a lot of guys around the MLE that could easily start on this team.

There are probably over 20 guys out there before you get to Wright/Richardson level.  We are one of the few teams that has significant cap space and can spend well over MLE on multiple players.  This is it.  I don't think they can push the can down the road any more after Luka signs his extension.  They have to get some talent in, and I think they will do anything they can to do it.

That's a BIG if. If my aunt had balls, she'd be my uncle. All jokes aside, I don't think KP has the motivation to be one of the best bigs in the league. He sulks a lot when things aren't going his way. Add his injury history to the mix, it's a slippery slope going forward. I hope he busts his ass to get better, because he can make a big difference. I just don't think he has any dog in him.

RE: AROUND the NBA: PHI open to trading Ben Simmons | CLE, IND, MIN, TOR, SAC interested - ThisIStheYear - 07-20-2021

(07-20-2021, 04:50 PM)mvossman Wrote: I don't think they are quite as far as you are stating from competing, especially if KP gets back to what he was last year.  I don't think Cuban brought in Nico and Kidd to trade away players for picks.  That's not something he did back when it made sense, and I would argue it probably does not make sense now.  Luka is about to sign his first extension.  The clock is ticking.  They have 34 in cap and need to add two starters, preferably one who is at least close to "star".  If they have to go old (Lowry/Conley), bad fit (DeRozan), out for a year (Kawhi) or overpay an RFA (Collins/Ball) they are going to go balls out to get that star.  And if they completely fail on getting a star, then they will go hard at second tier guys (Powell, Fournier, Holmes, Barton, Schroder, Dinwiddie) and there are a lot of guys around the MLE that could easily start on this team.

Nice perspective. No one out there really is ideal.  Signing Schroeder to big money would be a true disaster and Lowery’s days as a top player are probably behind him, but I guess I could be down for the others. Hoping for Collins or Kawhi though.

RE: AROUND the NBA: PHI open to trading Ben Simmons | CLE, IND, MIN, TOR, SAC interested - Aussiebballer - 07-20-2021

If JRich ops in then I think they will sign THJ, use the MLE and try to add more players via trades.
Seems like that is where this headed.

Scott Foster is the lead official for tonight's game. That's bad news for CP3. Paul has a 2-15 record in the last 17 games Foster has officiated.

RE: AROUND the NBA: PHI open to trading Ben Simmons | CLE, IND, MIN, TOR, SAC interested - mvossman - 07-20-2021

(07-20-2021, 06:13 PM)Aussiebballer Wrote: If JRich ops in then I think they will sign THJ, use the MLE and try to add more players via trades.
Seems like that is where this headed.

Why?  If JRich opts in, they will still have roughly 22 mil in cap space.  They can sign a 4/100 contract with that space.  That leaves just about every big free agent in play.  If its Kawhi or a max for Collins, they can probably send JRich in the trade (if not for Collins it will probably be Maxi, so they still have space).  I don't think a JRich opt in has much impact at all on going after the big piece.  He might even be useful for salary matching purposes.  It may impact what the do for the second piece, but my guess is if they want to go after a player with cap, then can probably dump JRich for a second.