MavsBoard
2020-2021 AROUND the NBA: Archived - Printable Version

+- MavsBoard (https://www.mavsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Boards (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Dallas Mavericks and the NBA (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: 2020-2021 AROUND the NBA: Archived (/showthread.php?tid=622)

RE: AROUND the NBA: McCollum trade "probable" | Giannis injures knee (no ligament damage) - cow - 06-30-2021

Bitch made, PatBev.

RE: AROUND the NBA: McCollum trade "probable" | Giannis injures knee (no ligament damage) - KillerLeft - 06-30-2021

(06-30-2021, 10:56 PM)Tunesquad23 Wrote: Why you hate the Suns? I can’t stand the Clippers. Especially Pat Beverly. That push he gave to CP3 was unsportsmanlike conduct.

I just hate the Suns' fanbase, really, not the team. I'll definitely root for them over whichever Eastern Conference team they face in the finals. 

When the Clippers aren't playing the Mavericks, I feel like I enjoy the way they play. I get how some of them are hated, but I feel like if those guys played here we'd love the edge. I'm a pretty big fan of both KL and PG, too, and Ty Lue is really growing on me. The only thing about the Clippers I don't like is this guy:

https://twitter.com/jeskeets/status/1410436885906866177?s=20

RE: AROUND the NBA: McCollum trade "probable" | Giannis injures knee (no ligament damage) - cow - 06-30-2021

Ballmer is the only likeable thing about the Clips.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KMU0tzLwhbE

RE: AROUND the NBA: McCollum trade "probable" | Giannis injures knee (no ligament damage) - KillerLeft - 06-30-2021

(06-30-2021, 11:32 PM)cow Wrote: Ballmer is the only likeable thing about the Clips.

[Image: 5lkP.gif]

(06-30-2021, 11:34 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: [Image: 5lkP.gif]

Nah.  I've enjoyed Steve's energy since the 90s.  It was a rarity in tech back then.

(06-30-2021, 11:41 PM)cow Wrote: I've enjoyed Steve's energy since the 90s.  It was a rarity in tech back then.

That's cool. He gives me major Michael Scott cringe vibes, but he has only been on my radar since buying the Suns.

(06-30-2021, 11:49 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: That's cool. He gives me major Michael Scott cringe vibes, but he has only been on my radar since buying the Suns.

He's definitely odd and I can see how that would put some off, but I think his insanity is genuine and comes from a mostly good place.  Also, I've never seen The Office.  haha

RE: AROUND the NBA: McCollum trade "probable" | Giannis injures knee (no ligament damage) - SwisherPrice - 07-01-2021

Suns are a great team but what a lucky run it's been. No Anthony Davis for pretty much 3 games in the 1st round, no Jamal Murray in the 2nd round, and no Kawhi in the WCF. Next, they will either get the Bucks without Giannis (or at least not 100% if he does play) or the Hawks with Trae having shoulder and ankle issues too. 

They can go ahead and get the parade planned, the trophy will be theirs

RE: AROUND the NBA: McCollum trade "probable" | Giannis injures knee (no ligament damage) - cow - 07-01-2021

(07-01-2021, 12:02 AM)SwisherPrice Wrote: Suns are a great team but what a lucky run it's been. No Anthony Davis for pretty much 3 games in the 1st round, no Jamal Murray in the 2nd round, and no Kawhi in the WCF. Next, they will either get the Bucks without Giannis (or at least not 100% if he does play) or the Hawks with Trae having shoulder and ankle issues too. 

Hard to feel bad considering all the crap CP3 has been through (even in this playoffs).  At this point, I'd be pretty excited for any of the remaining teams winning a chip.

RE: AROUND the NBA: McCollum trade "probable" | Giannis injures knee (no ligament damage) - SkenfromLMF - 07-01-2021

What a gut punch it would be to draft the best player in Luka only to watch Young and Ayton match up in the finals

RE: AROUND the NBA: McCollum trade "probable" | Giannis injures knee (no ligament damage) - ItsGoTime - 07-01-2021

(07-01-2021, 01:12 AM)SkenfromLMF Wrote: What a gut punch it would be to draft the best player in Luka only to watch Young and Ayton match up in the finals
Donnie and Mark sittin in a tree…

RE: AROUND the NBA: McCollum trade "probable" | Giannis injures knee (no ligament damage) - omahen - 07-01-2021

Since Dan is starting interesting dillemmas. What do you think will Clippers do if Kawhi walks (not to Mavs, but somewhere else) and is there anything for Mavs there?

They are certainly not a contender without Kawhi and have extremely limited ways to upgrade. So I could see them tearing it apart (mainly trading George) to recover assets. I expect a very interesting summer.

RE: AROUND the NBA: McCollum trade "probable" | Giannis injures knee (no ligament damage) - SleepingHero - 07-01-2021

(07-01-2021, 01:12 AM)SkenfromLMF Wrote: What a gut punch it would be to draft the best player in Luka only to watch Young and Ayton match up in the finals

Flashback to 1986 where we had the first pick in the 1984 draft, Hakeem Olajuwon, going to his first NBA finals before anyone else in his draft class. He put on a show next to fellow future HOF Ralph Sampson and had a breakout year. 

They did lose to one of the best teams of all time in the finals, but the general take was Hakeem is going to be a fierce force in the NBA for years to come and everyone should watch out. 

I don't think for one second the Bulls really cared that others in that draft class succeeded earlier on than their own superstar who was just coming off one of the best individual scoring performances ever, but his team didn't have enough talent to get out of the first round (sound familiar?)

Point of the story is, it doesn't really matter who gets to the finals first (or even wins a ring first).

RE: AROUND the NBA: McCollum trade "probable" | Giannis injures knee (no ligament damage) - dirkfansince1998 - 07-01-2021

(07-01-2021, 08:36 AM)SleepingHero Wrote: Flashback to 1986 where we had the first pick in the 1984 draft, Hakeem Olajuwon, going to his first NBA finals before anyone else in his draft class. He put on a show next to fellow future HOF Ralph Sampson and had a breakout year. 

They did lose to one of the best teams of all time in the finals, but the general take was Hakeem is going to be a fierce force in the NBA for years to come and everyone should watch out. 

I don't think for one second the Bulls really cared that others in that draft class succeeded earlier on than their own superstar who was just coming off one of the best individual scoring performances ever, but his team didn't have enough talent to get out of the first round (sound familiar?)

Point of the story is, it doesn't really matter who gets to the finals first (or even wins a ring first).

The what could have been Mavs draft. I know the big story was Bowie over Jordan but the Mavs ended up with Perkins (4th pick) instead of Barkley (5th pick) and Stansbury (15th pick) instead of Stockton (16th pick). Imagine the late 80s and early 90s Mavs with Stockton and Barkley. Blackman, Aguirre, Harper and Davis already on the roster. Even without them they made some deep playoff runs and barely missed out on the first finals appearance in 1988.

RE: AROUND the NBA: McCollum trade "probable" | Giannis injures knee (no ligament damage) - HoosierDaddyKid - 07-01-2021

Why would it be considered a gut punch?   Both players are on better teams, and many observers are now viewing the trade as not as one-sided as originally thought.  As far as Ayton is concerned, he has really improved and he has to be one of the best young bigs in the game now. At one time, he was viewed as a bust.

RE: AROUND the NBA: McCollum trade "probable" | Giannis injures knee (no ligament damage) - HoosierDaddyKid - 07-01-2021

(07-01-2021, 12:02 AM)SwisherPrice Wrote: Suns are a great team but what a lucky run it's been. No Anthony Davis for pretty much 3 games in the 1st round, no Jamal Murray in the 2nd round, and no Kawhi in the WCF. Next, they will either get the Bucks without Giannis (or at least not 100% if he does play) or the Hawks with Trae having shoulder and ankle issues too. 

Sometimes it's better to be lucky than good.  But they are both.    Wink

RE: AROUND the NBA: McCollum trade "probable" | Giannis injures knee (no ligament damage) - Tyler - 07-01-2021

For people just reading the social media quotes about Dallas chasing Kawhi, here's O'Connor's full article. It does a nice job of outlining the perilous situation the Clippers are in even just treading water and bringing the same team back -- much less adding talent or replacing FA losses. As the title says, they're definitely at a crossroads. I can understand why outsiders are keeping a close watch on the Kawhi situation. 

https://www.theringer.com/2021/7/1/22558854/clippers-rumors-free-agency-kawhi-leonard-paul-george

RE: AROUND the NBA: McCollum trade "probable" | Giannis injures knee (no ligament damage) - Scott41theMavs - 07-01-2021

(07-01-2021, 11:34 AM)HoosierDaddyKid Wrote: Sometimes it's better to be lucky than good.  But they are both.    Wink

What I hate most about the Suns, aside from the years of rivalry and them embarrassing us in recent years despite us having better records, is that the Mavs ought to be at an advantage over them due to Sarver being such a notorious cheapskate. Unfortunately, their front office is approximately four times better than the Mavs' has been, so that they're able to build a contender within the parameters of that cheapness. I guess what I'm saying is, I am massively jealous of them.

RE: AROUND the NBA: McCollum trade "probable" | Giannis injures knee (no ligament damage) - Kammrath - 07-01-2021

https://twitter.com/ChrisBHaynes/status/1410688914302521347

RE: AROUND the NBA: McCollum trade "probable" | Giannis injures knee (no ligament damage) - Kammrath - 07-01-2021

https://twitter.com/basketbllnews/status/1410775068817362944

[Image: 200w.gif?cid=82a1493bl9l1abdd8q03a94bsp3...d=200w.gif]