MavsBoard
2020-2021 AROUND the NBA: Archived - Printable Version

+- MavsBoard (https://www.mavsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Boards (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Dallas Mavericks and the NBA (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: 2020-2021 AROUND the NBA: Archived (/showthread.php?tid=622)

RE: AROUND the NBA: McCollum trade "probable" | Giannis injures knee - Kammrath - 06-29-2021

https://twitter.com/CVivlamoreAJC/status/1410087161953673217

RE: AROUND the NBA: McCollum trade "probable" | Lillard unhappy - mvossman - 06-29-2021

(06-29-2021, 10:29 PM)Mavs2021 Wrote: Nah. The Bulls just match that and worry about the rest later. You need to be aggressive right out of the gate, while they still pursue their capspace ideas.

84/4 gets it done.

You can't be serious?  You want to pay over 20 mil a year for Lauri?  He got benched by freaking Chicago.  20 and 10?  He got 14 and 5 this year.  He has to have the worst block rate of a 7 footer ever, so you got him chasing guys around the perimeter.  There is a reason his DBPM and DRPM have been negative every year of his career (which is hard to do for a big).  He would get hunted mercilessly in the playoffs.  He is a poor mans KP without the rim protection and you want to pay him over 20 a year?

RE: AROUND the NBA: McCollum trade "probable" | Giannis injures knee - SleepingHero - 06-29-2021

(06-29-2021, 10:29 PM)Mavs2021 Wrote: Nah. The Bulls just match that and worry about the rest later. You need to be aggressive right out of the gate, while they still pursue their capspace ideas.

84/4 gets it done.

You're missing the fact that CHI doesn't want him anymore. He's not getting anywhere close to that much unless 2 teams are trying to outbid each other. CHI is going to trade him for any asset and call it a wash.

RE: AROUND the NBA: McCollum trade "probable" | Giannis injures knee - cow - 06-30-2021

I'm just not sure what the appeal of him is then.  If Chicago doesn't want you, why should we?  I'm also in the camp that doesn't want to invest serious money into seven footers anymore unless they are transcendent.  It just isn't how the game is played anymore.

RE: AROUND the NBA: McCollum trade "probable" | Giannis injures knee - Tyler - 06-30-2021

(06-29-2021, 10:36 PM)jesusshuttlesworth82 Wrote: I'm a little upset we might see Trae vs Ayton in the finals.

Personally, I'm secure enough with Luka to be happy to root for other good young players. After years of the same big names forming superteams to hog the limelight, it's nice to have fresh faces in the playoffs.

RE: AROUND the NBA: McCollum trade "probable" | Giannis injures knee - SleepingHero - 06-30-2021

(06-30-2021, 12:16 AM)cow Wrote: If Chicago doesn't want you, why should we?

Chicago doesn't want him because they just invested a boatload of assets into a guy who is currently better than Lauri and plays the same position in Vuc.

Can't have 2 slow footed bigs out there that can't play defense. Lauri could actually achieve his potential here as a solid number 3 option with his lethal shooting. I envision a more varied offensive Maxi that's 6 years younger. 

He wouldn't be my first call in August but he'd certainly be on the list. ESPECIALLY if we trade KP.

RE: AROUND the NBA: McCollum trade "probable" | Giannis injures knee - cow - 06-30-2021

(06-30-2021, 12:31 AM)Tyler Wrote: Personally, I'm secure enough with Luka to be happy to root for other good young players. After years of the same big names forming superteams to hog the limelight, it's nice to have fresh faces in the playoffs.

Ayton has been balling his ass off.  I'm super happy for him.

RE: AROUND the NBA: McCollum trade "probable" | Giannis injures knee - Thukydides - 06-30-2021

I've said it before: it was infuriating, but the Mavs did a very good job resting Luka this year. They manage him well.

RE: AROUND the NBA: McCollum trade "probable" | Giannis injures knee - Chicagojk - 06-30-2021

What awful news if Giannis has a serious knee injury.   Just so depressing.    Hey at least the Mavs were out in the first round where not at risk for additional injuries.

I can't fathom that the Hawks have a legit chance at a championship.   Wow!  That GM deserves a parade around ATL regardless though.  He was raked over the coals by the national media for two years, but they are doing this without Hunter and their first round pick (who a lot of people really like) just finding his footing.    His mid season trade by moving Rondo and getting Lou Williams plus a pick may have won them game 4.   He has been hitting black jack every hand.   Could this be the beginning of Golden State lite in the East?

RE: AROUND the NBA: McCollum trade "probable" | Lillard unhappy - HanspardsShowerVoice - 06-30-2021

(06-29-2021, 10:44 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: Goes to show any year can be THE year and teams shouldn't hold anything back.

I think it also goes to show that redlining the players by cramming in 72 regular season games in 6 months and a "play-in" concept that put newfound emphasis on end of season games, after having a shortened offseason, may have had some unintended consequences.   Really kinda have to ask yourself if the Mavs didn't realistically have a title contender roster if getting bounced in the first round is a better alterative than Luka blowing out an ACL on shot legs deeper into the playoffs

RE: AROUND the NBA: McCollum trade "probable" | Giannis injures knee - HanspardsShowerVoice - 06-30-2021

(06-30-2021, 08:45 AM)Chicagojk Wrote:  Could this be the beginning of Golden State lite in the East?

I think more likely that Brooklyn comes in after a full offseason with a fully rested 3 star lineup, with Harden in (better) shape, a full training camp and preseason to work on meshing, and completely steamrolls over the Hawks and the rest of the East.

RE: AROUND the NBA: McCollum trade "probable" | Giannis injures knee - Chicagojk - 06-30-2021

(06-30-2021, 09:02 AM)HanspardsShowerVoice Wrote: I think more likely that Brooklyn comes in after a full offseason with a fully rested 3 star lineup, with Harden in (better) shape, a full training camp and preseason to work on meshing, and completely steamrolls over the Hawks and the rest of the East.

I agree that Brooklyn are the clear favorites heading into next year, but I expected Bucks, Sixers, Heat and maybe Boston to be the next grouping.   I was not expecting to think the Hawks may have a better chance of any of those teams over the next 3-4 years.

RE: AROUND the NBA: McCollum trade "probable" | Giannis injures knee - Kammrath - 06-30-2021

I think this is the least talented final four teams (once you remove Giannis), maybe in NBA history...?! 

I cannot believe one of these four teams will be NBA champs in their current state. Ridiculous.

RE: AROUND the NBA: McCollum trade "probable" | Giannis injures knee - Mavs2021 - 06-30-2021

SleepingHero Wrote:You're missing the fact that CHI doesn't want him anymore. He's not getting anywhere close to that much unless 2 teams are trying to outbid each other. CHI is going to trade him for any asset and call it a wash.

They offered him 64/4 before the season, so if the new idea is 48/4, then obviously they´ll match it. They don´t even need to like him, cause he is a trade asset and $12M is 6th man money. They have no pressure to start him.

He is a 24 years old. You really don´t think some rebuilding team like Detroit, San Antonio, Charlotte will at least go to $17M/year for somebody, who shot 48/40/83 last season?

Lakers hiring Fizdale to fill Kidd's spot.  There are several guys like this available, but i hope Kidd gets 1-2 of them who have head coaching experience.

RE: AROUND the NBA: McCollum trade "probable" | Giannis injures knee - SleepingHero - 06-30-2021

(06-30-2021, 09:37 AM)Mavs2021 Wrote: They offered him 64/4 before the season,

I wonder what maybe could have happened during this season that could have changed their offseason plans....

Perhaps investing 2 FRP and sending out WCJr for a guy that plays the exact same position as Lauri and is also making close to 30mm??

(06-30-2021, 09:37 AM)Mavs2021 Wrote: He is a 24 years old. You really don´t think some rebuilding team like Detroit, San Antonio, Charlotte will at least go to $17M/year for somebody, who shot 48/40/83 last season?

I mean maybe? I don't know their plans. SAS might be the only one interested, maybe all 3, maybe none. IF there is a bidding war for Lauri he'll get closer to your number, if there is only 1 team then he'll be had for MUCH less than you're projecting imo.

RE: AROUND the NBA: McCollum trade "probable" | Giannis injures knee - Mavs2021 - 06-30-2021

(06-30-2021, 10:52 AM)SleepingHero Wrote: I wonder what maybe could have happened during this season that could have changed their offseason plans....

Perhaps investing 2 FRP and sending out WCJr for a guy that plays the exact same position as Lauri and is also making close to 30mm??

I mean maybe? I don't know their plans. SAS might be the only one interested, maybe all 3, maybe none. IF there is a bidding war for Lauri he'll get closer to your number, if there is only 1 team then he'll be had for MUCH less than you're projecting imo.

Some team like Detroit will be willing to go to 20/year, but reports suggested Lauri was interested in joining the Mavs, so maybe a little discounted 72/4 could get it done for the Mavs.

Give a little incentive to the Bulls to not match: 2nd round pick, Kleber or eat one of the expiring contracts (Aminu, Young, Satoransky).

I´m sure something can be worked out.

Also have to consider that a cap spike is expected soon and in two years $17-18M/year might look like a steal, even assuming Markkanen plateaus at 18/9.

RE: AROUND the NBA: McCollum trade "probable" | Giannis injures knee - omahen - 06-30-2021

I totally agree Markkanen will sign around 15-20 mil per year contract. I also agree Mavs should not be the ones giving it unless the plan is to move KP.

RE: AROUND the NBA: McCollum trade "probable" | Giannis injures knee - ItsGoTime - 06-30-2021

(06-30-2021, 11:09 AM)omahen Wrote: I totally agree Markkanen will sign around 15-20 mil per year contract. I also agree Mavs should not be the ones giving it unless the plan is to move KP.
15 sure, 20? I’m happy to move on to the next player. Looking at his body of work, he isn’t worth more than 15 which is about max of what you want for your high end 6th man, low end to ok starter.

RE: AROUND the NBA: McCollum trade "probable" | Giannis injures knee - Kammrath - 06-30-2021

https://twitter.com/basketbllnews/status/1410305886682185728