MavsBoard
2020-2021 AROUND the NBA: Archived - Printable Version

+- MavsBoard (https://www.mavsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Boards (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Dallas Mavericks and the NBA (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: 2020-2021 AROUND the NBA: Archived (/showthread.php?tid=622)

RE: AROUND the NBA: McCollum trade "probable" | Kawhi done in LAC? | Lillard unhappy - KillerLeft - 06-28-2021

All these years later, and I'm still forgetting to look for the damn blue check mark. I hate twitter.

RE: AROUND the NBA: McCollum trade "probable" | Kawhi done in LAC? | Lillard unhappy - omahen - 06-28-2021

(06-27-2021, 07:12 PM)jesusshuttlesworth82 Wrote: I actually disagree with it.  It's not like he can opt out in a year or two.  The Blazers have no pressure or incentive to trade him to a team with crap assets.  He isn't going to sit out for 3-4 years.

Dame: trade me to the Mavs
Oshey: they're offering 3 picks in the 20s, Brunson, and a poo poo platter.  No thanks.
Dame: trade me to the Mavs
Oshey:  or what?  We just traded you to the [insert random team].  You can report there or go on the suspended list.

AD had the threat he wouldn't sign an extension with any team but the Lakers.  Dame is locked in long term.

You certainly have a point here and I doubt Lillard will be traded. But let's assume he really wants out. What I would hope for would be more in the lines of: "we have been married for forever and we really enjoy this time togethe, but I feel like this is going nowhere. It would be kind to do me solid and trade me to one of these places I would like to go: XXX"

Then it doesn't just matter who is on the list but also who is not. Because if any of Philly, Atlanta, Phoenix, New York, GSW are on the list, we don't stand a chance. However, if the list consists of LAL, LAC and Dal?

RE: AROUND the NBA: McCollum trade "probable" | Kawhi done in LAC? | Lillard unhappy - HoosierDaddyKid - 06-28-2021

(06-27-2021, 09:46 PM)Kammrath Wrote: Maybe the most underrated player in the NBA?

When he's on, sure. I've seen him put up some stinkers too.  I guess you can say that about all good shooters.

RE: AROUND the NBA: McCollum trade "probable" | Kawhi done in LAC? | Lillard unhappy - KillerLeft - 06-28-2021

(06-28-2021, 01:10 AM)HoosierDaddyKid Wrote: I've seen him put up some stinkers too.  I guess you can say that about all good shooters.

[Image: EnchantingExemplaryHoverfly-max-1mb.gif?...C268&ssl=1]

RE: AROUND the NBA: McCollum trade "probable" | Kawhi done in LAC? | Lillard unhappy - ClutchDirk - 06-28-2021

https://twitter.com/jackfrank_jjf/status/1409380286824026115

RE: AROUND the NBA: McCollum trade "probable" | Kawhi done in LAC? | Lillard unhappy - DanSchwartzgan - 06-28-2021

(06-27-2021, 08:35 PM)Tyler Wrote: I'm sorta fascinated that KP is almost exactly at that minimum amount you cite to maximize cap savings. If Portland prefers another player to KP while stacking the cash, they could always flip him in a separate step-down trade that brings back about $25.3mm. Maybe they get another point guard that way. Come to think of it, Charlotte has a surplus and has been rumored to be interested in Porzingis.

Even better, they have space.  I think Charlotte meets all the criteria of a third team.  1.  They need a center.  2.  They have a clean 2023 pick.  3.  They have excess at PG and Rozier is on his final year.  4.  They have cap room.  

Charlotte has $20mm in space if you assume they keep the hold on Graham and the other logical options on their roster.  I can use almost all of that up by sending KP and JRich for expiring Rozier, PJ Washington and one other minor contract (I like Duffy client Jalen McDaniels).  They also send out the 2023 in a way that assures Dallas of having a pick that year.  

Portland could use Rozier in a backcourt rotation with McCollum and Simons.  PJ Washington fits well in a front court rotation with Nurkic and Covington and there is room in this deal to move on from Derrick Jones Jr., Sign Norman Powell in the $18-$20mm range and still have $8-$10mm in cap space.  Portland has expiring and tradeable vets in Nurkic, Rozier and Covington if they decide to tear it down at the deadline.  Or, they can retain those guys and try to be 6th-8th seed in the west.  Washington and the picks provide the "hope for the future" element that is needed in a deal like this.  This is three picks, a useful but expiring PG and a young PF with upside in Washington and Milwaukee.  Jrue cost Milwaukee RJ Hampton, two picks, George Hill and Bledsoe.  This isn't that far off.

Dallas obviously ends up with Lillard, the DJJr. salary dump for a year and Jalen McDaniels to be a backup forward.  We stay over the cap and retain THJ, WCS and can use the MLE.

RE: AROUND the NBA: McCollum trade "probable" | Kawhi done in LAC? | Lillard unhappy - HAguiar95 - 06-28-2021

(06-28-2021, 07:07 AM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: Even better, they have space.  I think Charlotte meets all the criteria of a third team.  1.  They need a center.  2.  They have a clean 2023 pick.  3.  They have excess at PG and Rozier is on his final year.  4.  They have cap room.  

Charlotte has $20mm in space if you assume they keep the hold on Graham and the other logical options on their roster.  I can use almost all of that up by sending KP and JRich for expiring Rozier, PJ Washington and one other minor contract (I like Duffy client Jalen McDaniels).  They also send out the 2023 in a way that assures Dallas of having a pick that year.  

Dallas obviously ends up with Lillard, the DJJr. salary dump for a year and Jalen McDaniels to be a backup forward.  We stay over the cap and retain THJ, WCS and can use the MLE.

I really doubt CHA goes for that WITHOUT the '23 pick (Rozier+Washington for KP). If you add that, Dallas has to give up more than just KP (Brunson + '22 1st).

I feel in order to get a clean '23 pick, we must give up JB (Knicks give our pick back) or we give up our '22 1st (then in a possible superstar package would be our '24, '26, '28 1st plus '23, '25 and '27 swaps). Very unlikely, but considering Luka will probably be with us at least till 2027, I have no problem with that.

RE: AROUND the NBA: McCollum trade "probable" | Kawhi done in LAC? | Lillard unhappy - ClutchDirk - 06-28-2021

https://twitter.com/MavsFansForLife/status/1409364621866250241

RE: AROUND the NBA: McCollum trade "probable" | Kawhi done in LAC? | Lillard unhappy - DanSchwartzgan - 06-28-2021

(06-28-2021, 07:30 AM)HAguiar95 Wrote: I really doubt CHA goes for that WITHOUT the '23 pick (Rozier+Washington for KP). If you add that, Dallas has to give up more than just KP (Brunson + '22 1st).

I feel in order to get a clean '23 pick, we must give up JB (Knicks give our pick back) or we give up our '22 1st (then in a possible superstar package would be our '24, '26, '28 1st plus '23, '25 and '27 swaps). Very unlikely, but considering Luka will probably be with us at least till 2027, I have no problem with that.

It is hard to know how KP is valued in Charlotte, but I buy what you are saying.  The swaps should be there and we might need to add 2028.  Without it, the deal is a lot like the Holiday deal.  But there were four picks involved in the Harden deal (they also got to dump Prince and traded an injured LaVert, so it is more complex than just Jarrett Allen and four picks).  The Brunson thing is certainly a possibility as has been discussed quite a bit here.  I really don't think you want to bring NY into this if you can help it (and I suspect they don't want to help). 

I wrote the post very specifically indicating Charlotte sends the 2023 pick "in a way that assures Dallas of having a pick that year".  Portland also has a clean pick in 2023.  So, there are two clean picks and a top 10 protected pick on the table here.  The trick is creating a series of protections that assures Dallas a pick and puts Charlotte and Portland in positions they can live with.

RE: AROUND the NBA: McCollum trade "probable" | Lillard unhappy - StrandedOnBeauboisHill - 06-28-2021

Seen some posts about being able to trade our 2022 pick if we acquired a 2023.

Wouldn't this still violate the Stepien rule because we don't have a 2021 pick?

RE: AROUND the NBA: McCollum trade "probable" | Lillard unhappy - omahen - 06-28-2021

(06-28-2021, 09:05 AM)StrandedOnBeauboisHill Wrote: Wouldn't this still violate the Stepien rule because we don't have a 2021 pick?

Not after this year draft

RE: AROUND the NBA: McCollum trade "probable" | Lillard unhappy - StrandedOnBeauboisHill - 06-28-2021

(06-28-2021, 09:10 AM)omahen Wrote: Not after this year draft

Interesting.  Did not realize that.

RE: AROUND the NBA: McCollum trade "probable" | Lillard unhappy - omahen - 06-28-2021

(06-28-2021, 07:56 AM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: It is hard to know how KP is valued in Charlotte, but I buy what you are saying.  The swaps should be there and we might need to add 2028.  Without it, the deal is a lot like the Holiday deal.  But there were four picks involved in the Harden deal (they also got to dump Prince and traded an injured LaVert, so it is more complex than just Jarrett Allen and four picks).  The Brunson thing is certainly a possibility as has been discussed quite a bit here.  I really don't think you want to bring NY into this if you can help it (and I suspect they don't want to help). 

I wrote the post very specifically indicating Charlotte sends the 2023 pick "in a way that assures Dallas of having a pick that year".  Portland also has a clean pick in 2023.  So, there are two clean picks and a top 10 protected pick on the table here.  The trick is creating a series of protections that assures Dallas a pick and puts Charlotte and Portland in positions they can live with.

I think unprotected pick for KP might be a reach, especially from Charlotte who would already be giving up good players. How about Washington? Their players are crap and overpaid.  Could we squeeze Avdija and pick? Unfortunately the idiots traded their 2023 pick to Houston Smile They could give us the 2021 pick though, but Washington would have to select the youngster, I don't think we can do it on draft day. So something like this:

Was: KP
Dal: Bertans, Hutchinson, Lillard
Por: Brunson, Avdija, Green, 2021 FRP Was, 2025 FRP Dal, 2027 FRP Dal, pick swaps

Portland saves a ton of salary and gets out of tax, gets a couple of good young players and the picks. I didn't calculate all the details but I think finances stand in general.

After the trade Dallas would have something like:
Luka, Terry
Dame, JRich (if he opts in)
DFS, Bey
Kleber, Bertans
Powell, WCS

rMLE and BaE for back up wing and PG. A trade for center. Perhaps Portland expands the deal with JRich for Nurkic.

RE: AROUND the NBA: McCollum trade "probable" | Lillard unhappy - Mavs2021 - 06-28-2021

Maybe move the Lillard trade ideas to the Roster Talk thread, so we don´t discuss it on two fronts, since this is around the NBA?

RE: AROUND the NBA: McCollum trade "probable" | Kawhi done in LAC? | Lillard unhappy - HanspardsShowerVoice - 06-28-2021

(06-28-2021, 12:16 AM)KillerLeft Wrote: My early Lillard prediction is either Boston or Philly.

My prediction is GSW.    Since Lillard is an Oak Town lifer I imagine they'll be on his short list, and they have the draft capital and the matching Wiggins salary to do it.

https://ahnfiredigital.com/nba/minnesota-timberwolves/report-timberwolves-badly-want-to-trade-for-76ers-star-ben-simmons/

RE: AROUND the NBA: McCollum trade "probable" | Lillard unhappy - Kammrath - 06-28-2021

https://twitter.com/SIChrisMannix/status/1409519231608102919

RE: AROUND the NBA: McCollum trade "probable" | Lillard unhappy - Kammrath - 06-28-2021

https://twitter.com/KeithSmithNBA/status/1409521369566613506

RE: AROUND the NBA: McCollum trade "probable" | Lillard unhappy - Mavs2021 - 06-28-2021

(06-28-2021, 09:35 AM)omahen Wrote: https://ahnfiredigital.com/nba/minnesota-timberwolves/report-timberwolves-badly-want-to-trade-for-76ers-star-ben-simmons/

Yay. Let´s add Simmons to a healthy 0.500 Wolves team with an improving Edwards. Like we do not have enough problems in the West.

But how would they do that? Russell is KAT´s best friends and they obviously don´t trade Edwards. So they basically got nothing to offer.