MavsBoard
2020-2021 AROUND the NBA: Archived - Printable Version

+- MavsBoard (https://www.mavsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Boards (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Dallas Mavericks and the NBA (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: 2020-2021 AROUND the NBA: Archived (/showthread.php?tid=622)

RE: AROUND the NBA: McCollum trade "probable" | Kawhi done in LAC? | Lillard unhappy - Hypermav - 06-27-2021

(06-27-2021, 06:25 PM)ClutchDirk Wrote: https://twitter.com/TheSteinLine/status/1409287877834330117?s=20

Stein low key hinting.

RE: AROUND the NBA: McCollum trade "probable" | Kawhi done in LAC? | Lillard unhappy - KillerLeft - 06-27-2021

Lol, if we were all still at Fish's place, he'd have us believing that the Mavs were going to get BOTH Dame and Kawhi right about now. Good times.

RE: AROUND the NBA: McCollum trade "probable" | Kawhi done in LAC? | Lillard unhappy - F Gump - 06-27-2021

(06-27-2021, 05:20 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: I agree that this is the MOST important factor, but I don't think it's the only one, especially if he has a list (multiple teams).

Again --- any discussion of possibilities is only about what Dame wants. Everything else is incredibly minor by comparison.

It starts ONLY if Dame wants out and says, "Trade me." So "where does Dame want to be" is the driver of the whole thing from Day One. It's not an afterthought.

From there, "where do you want to go" continues to be the key. That's today's NBA. If the Mavs are on his list, then their only real competition is whoever else is on the list. If anyone. (And teams not on that list, they just don't matter.)

Then each team on that list can't strip their roster to get him. So the available assets they can offer Portland is going to be limited by that factor. I emphasize that because some want to START with an asset comparison, but it's going to be really relatively minor to the result.

I'm not saying Dame is going to push his way out, nor that he will pick Dallas as an option if he does. But being who he wants to play for, that's infinitely more important than what's on the asset list, if you want to get him.

RE: AROUND the NBA: McCollum trade "probable" | Kawhi done in LAC? | Lillard unhappy - KillerLeft - 06-27-2021

(06-27-2021, 06:44 PM)F Gump Wrote: Again --- any discussion of possibilities is only about what Dame wants. Everything else is incredibly minor by comparison.

It starts ONLY if Dame wants out and says, "Trade me." So "where does Dame want to be" is the driver of the whole thing from Day One. It's not an afterthought.

From there, "where do you want to go" continues to be the key. That's today's NBA. If the Mavs are on his list, then their only real competition is whoever else is on the list. If anyone. (And teams not on that list, they just don't matter.)

Then each team on that list can't strip their roster to get him. So the available assets they can offer Portland is going to be limited by that factor. I emphasize that because some want to START with an asset comparison, but it's going to be really relatively minor to the result.

I'm not saying Dame is going to push his way out, nor that he will pick Dallas as an option if he does. But being who he wants to play for, that's infinitely more important than what's on the asset list, if you want to get him.

I disagree with none of this. Seems like common knowledge.

RE: AROUND the NBA: McCollum trade "probable" | Kawhi done in LAC? | Lillard unhappy - Kammrath - 06-27-2021

https://twitter.com/TheNBACentral/status/1409288929065541634

RE: AROUND the NBA: McCollum trade "probable" | Kawhi done in LAC? | Lillard unhappy - Kammrath - 06-27-2021

https://twitter.com/EVR1022/status/1409283949818486788

https://twitter.com/EVR1022/status/1409284352182304779

https://twitter.com/EVR1022/status/1409276074362556419

https://twitter.com/JeffZillgitt/status/1409296407660531713

RE: AROUND the NBA: McCollum trade "probable" | Kawhi done in LAC? | Lillard unhappy - dynamicalVoid - 06-27-2021

Pardon the ignorance...

IF...Dame insisted on being traded to Mavericks...and ammo is our problem...

Could you not set up a trade for one of our players(even if they dont want to do this but have to move Dame) for a Phoenix 2023 FRP and that unlock our war chest of future picks to trade for Dame?

Or is there a rule against that?  Or is the buzz around here abotu us needing to acquire a 2023 FRP to unlock future draft picks not entirely true?

RE: AROUND the NBA: McCollum trade "probable" | Kawhi done in LAC? | Lillard unhappy - cjeter24 - 06-27-2021

Yeah Miami and Dallas don't deserved to be lumped in with the rest tho. There's some path where they could scrap together an appealing trade package... but with those other teams, all their picks are traded plus pick swaps. No chance unless they want to trade a star.

https://twitter.com/TheNBACentral/status/1409300081421996037

RE: AROUND the NBA: McCollum trade "probable" | Kawhi done in LAC? | Lillard unhappy - HAguiar95 - 06-27-2021

(06-27-2021, 06:58 PM)dynamicalVoid Wrote: Pardon the ignorance...

IF...Dame insisted on being traded to Mavericks...and ammo is our problem...

Could you not set up a trade for one of our players(even if they dont want to do this but have to move Dame) for a Phoenix 2023 FRP and that unlock our war chest of future picks to trade for Dame?

Or is there a rule against that?  Or is the buzz around here abotu us needing to acquire a 2023 FRP to unlock future draft picks not entirely true?

'23 pick would have to be unprotected. Hard to see any team offering that for any of our players. Our best bet is JB for our '23 pick back.

https://twitter.com/basketbllnews/status/1409300686509121536

(06-27-2021, 06:58 PM)dynamicalVoid Wrote: IF...Dame insisted on being traded to Mavericks...and ammo is our problem...

@"F Gump" is absolutely right about what the star player wants being the first domino to fall. No question. 

If he says "get me to Dallas" my guess is that there are any number of (difficult, but doable) ways for the Mavs to use other teams/deals to find a way to pay Portland's minimum asking price. It would hurt, but they could do it if they wanted. 

IMO, the second the word "list" comes into play, that means competition. A smaller group of competitors, but at this moment, right now, I feel it's likely than almost ANY other team likely to be on any type of list of teams attractive to Dame could pull this off much more easily, hence my use of the word "ammo." 

IMHO, "list" equals "nope" this time around. But, if it's ONLY Dallas, that's different. 

But, while we discuss this, the reality of the situation, probably, is that Dallas wouldn't even be on Dame's list to begin with. I suppose certain recent hires, along with their connections to him, make that worth discussing, but it's STILL the most unlikely part of any hypothetical scenario. If/when we start seeing Dallas thrown into these tweets from people in the loop...then, I suppose it's reasonable to get our hopes up.

(06-27-2021, 07:05 PM)Kammrath Wrote: https://twitter.com/basketbllnews/status/1409300686509121536

Mosley misses out on another one.

RE: AROUND the NBA: McCollum trade "probable" | Kawhi done in LAC? | Lillard unhappy - cjeter24 - 06-27-2021

(06-27-2021, 07:05 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: @"F Gump" is absolutely right about what the star player wants being the first domino to fall. No question. 

If he says "get me to Dallas" my guess is that there are any number of (difficult, but doable) ways for the Mavs to use other teams/deals to find a way to pay Portland's minimum asking price. It would hurt, but they could do it if they wanted. 

IMO, the second the word "list" comes into play, that means competition. A smaller group of competitors, but at this moment, right now, I feel it's likely than almost ANY other team likely to be on any type of list of teams attractive to Dame could pull this off much more easily, hence my use of the word "ammo." 

IMHO, "list" equals "nope" this time around. But, if it's ONLY Dallas, that's different. 

But, while we discuss this, the reality of the situation, probably, is that Dallas wouldn't even be on Dame's list to begin with. I suppose certain recent hires, along with their connections to him, make that worth discussing, but it's STILL the most unlikely part of any hypothetical scenario. If/when we start seeing Dallas thrown into these tweets from people in the loop...then, I suppose it's reasonable to get our hopes up.

I don't think Dame would just say Dallas.... But I have a hard time believing Dallas isn't going to be on guys list moving forward because of Luka. I think Nico could help. But I think Kidd absolutely helps. I really think word was out on Rick and nobody wanted to play here with him. Kidd has had stars wanting him to be their coach (Lebron and Dame) and stars that have loved him like Giannis. It sounds like he's had some guys not like him too... But I've always heard more guys wanting him than anyone specifically having issue with him.

RE: AROUND the NBA: McCollum trade "probable" | Kawhi done in LAC? | Lillard unhappy - jesusshuttlesworth82 - 06-27-2021

(06-27-2021, 06:48 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: I disagree with none of this. Seems like common knowledge.

I actually disagree with it.  It's not like he can opt out in a year or two.  The Blazers have no pressure or incentive to trade him to a team with crap assets.  He isn't going to sit out for 3-4 years.

Dame: trade me to the Mavs
Oshey: they're offering 3 picks in the 20s, Brunson, and a poo poo platter.  No thanks.
Dame: trade me to the Mavs
Oshey:  or what?  We just traded you to the [insert random team].  You can report there or go on the suspended list.

AD had the threat he wouldn't sign an extension with any team but the Lakers.  Dame is locked in long term.

RE: AROUND the NBA: McCollum trade "probable" | Kawhi done in LAC? | Lillard unhappy - Hypermav - 06-27-2021

RIP city

RE: AROUND the NBA: McCollum trade "probable" | Kawhi done in LAC? | Lillard unhappy - dynamicalVoid - 06-27-2021

(06-27-2021, 07:02 PM)HAguiar95 Wrote: '23 pick would have to be unprotected. Hard to see any team offering that for any of our players. Our best bet is JB for our '23 pick back.

I disgruntled star destroying a teams chemistry(assuming) and season(assuming) by demanding a trade to another team(after giving his all to them)...and an unprotected FRP is the hold up?   Phoenix would get a war chest of other FRP's(assuming), SRP's(assuming) and numerous other players from our team at their choosing(whether Phoenix likes those players or not) in return.   But thats still unreasonable?

Seems to be mismanagement on Phoenix part?   Or they can run with Dame on the bench for 4 years...or him pulling a Kevin Love for a few years.   If Dame gives in and plays(I assume players dont attempt the power move unless they are all in like Harden)...morale on that team will be shot until the Suns somehow put a contender around him?

I get that Suns might be able to put a contender around him fairly quickly...but is Dame willing to go all in on the demand?  If he does...would an unprotected FRP really be the barricade?  And is Phoenix willing to play that game at the expense of its team?

Im hoping what I am trying to articulate makes sense.  A lot of assumptions on my part, though.

I dont think Dame is the play.  I think we are after CJ or Nurkic if anyone.

If the Mavs gutted the team for Dame and gave many picks into the future and are left with just Luka, wouldn't they essentially still be the same plus Dame Smile