MavsBoard
2020-2021 AROUND the NBA: Archived - Printable Version

+- MavsBoard (https://www.mavsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Boards (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Dallas Mavericks and the NBA (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: 2020-2021 AROUND the NBA: Archived (/showthread.php?tid=622)

RE: AROUND the NBA: Kawhi OUT with a torn ACL | CP3 in COVID protocols - SleepingHero - 06-19-2021

(06-19-2021, 02:33 AM)Branduil Wrote: Saying Simmons isn't nearly the same talent level as Giannis is an understatement. It's like comparing Josh Richardson to Luka.

Thats not even remotely the same comparison.

Simmons is:
  • Still an all-star (3x at this point)
  • 2x 1st team all NBA defense
  • NBA steals leader 2019
  • Has ranked top 20th in FG%, Assists, and steals, DWS, 4 times
  • Has ranked top 20 in rebounds, MPG, Box Plus/minus, and DRTG 2x 
He's done all of this in 4 years. He's a great player. Limited, but great. Just like Giannis. Giannis is leaps and bounds better as a scorer, but Simmons has Giannis beat in terms of creation/assists. Both feast around the rim and in transition. Both cannot shoot. Both have no discernable half-court game besides getting a head of steam.

RE: AROUND the NBA: Kawhi OUT with a torn ACL | CP3 in COVID protocols - Branduil - 06-19-2021

(06-19-2021, 02:53 AM)SleepingHero Wrote: Thats not even remotely the same comparison.

Simmons is:
  • Still an all-star (3x at this point)
  • 2x 1st team all NBA defense
  • NBA steals leader 2019
  • Has ranked top 20th in FG%, Assists, and steals, DWS, 4 times
  • Has ranked top 20 in rebounds, MPG, Box Plus/minus, and DRTG 2x 
He's done all of this in 4 years. He's a great player. Limited, but great. Just like Giannis. Giannis is leaps and bounds better as a scorer, but Simmons has Giannis beat in terms of creation/assists. Both feast around the rim and in transition. Both cannot shoot. Both have no discernable half-court game besides getting a head of steam.
Simmons hasn't done shit in the playoffs. Again, comparing him to Giannis is an insult- Giannis is the cornerstone of his team's offense in the playoffs, Simmons takes ONE SHOT in the second half of playoff games because he's utterly terrified of getting fouled and having to shoot free throws. He's literally getting subbed out of playoff games in favor of rookies because he's so utterly useless. Until he actually helps his team win in the playoffs, I maintain he is nothing more than the Point Guard Unicorn- a player who people fell in love with because of his potential, who never improves and never becomes an actual winning player when it matters.

RE: AROUND the NBA: Kawhi OUT with a torn ACL | CP3 in COVID protocols - SleepingHero - 06-19-2021

(06-19-2021, 03:16 AM)Branduil Wrote: Simmons hasn't done shit in the playoffs. Again, comparing him to Giannis is an insult- Giannis is the cornerstone of his team's offense in the playoffs, Simmons takes ONE SHOT in the second half of playoff games because he's utterly terrified of getting fouled and having to shoot free throws. He's literally getting subbed out of playoff games in favor of rookies because he's so utterly useless. Until he actually helps his team win in the playoffs, I maintain he is nothing more than the Point Guard Unicorn- a player who people fell in love with because of his potential, who never improves and never becomes an actual winning player when it matters.

You do realize Giannis has had the same success as Ben Simmons in the playoffs right?

Both have only made it out of the first round 3 times. Ben has 3 post season appearances. Giannis with 6. 

Again, I'm not saying Ben Simmons is equal or as good as Giannis. I'm saying their player archetype is similar. They have almost the exact same half court offensive game. They are the same swiss army knife elite defender. They both set great screens. Simmons is a better playmaker. Giannis is a better scorer. 

You keep coming back to free throws as this dagger of Ben Simmons, but Giannis is just as bad at free throws as Simmons.

RE: AROUND the NBA: Kawhi OUT with a torn ACL | CP3 in COVID protocols - Branduil - 06-19-2021

(06-19-2021, 03:23 AM)SleepingHero Wrote: You do realize Giannis has had the same success as Ben Simmons in the playoffs right?

Both have only made it out of the first round 3 times. Ben has 3 post season appearances. Giannis with 6. 

Again, I'm not saying Ben Simmons is equal or as good as Giannis. I'm saying their player archetype is similar. They have almost the exact same half court offensive game. They are the same swiss army knife elite defender. They both set great screens. Simmons is a better playmaker. Giannis is a better scorer. 

You keep coming back to free throws as this dagger of Ben Simmons, but Giannis is just as bad at free throws as Simmons.

Okay, do you think Simmons is a better player than Luka? Giannis has never played with anyone half as good as Embiid. Saying they have the same half court offensive game is absurd. Giannis is averaging 28PPG in these playoffs with 53% FT shooting, which is bad but not unplayable. Simmons is averaging 12PPG on 34% FT shooting(!!!). They're not in the same stratosphere. His numbers in the 2nd half of games are even worse. Giannis has a LIMITED but ELITE offensive game, Simmons has NO offense in the half court, he can literally only score in low-pressure transition opportunities where he can use his athleticism to run the floor. Those opportunities disappear in intense playoff basketball and he becomes invisible because he's afraid of looking bad and he puts no effort into improving his shooting.

RE: AROUND the NBA: Kawhi OUT with a torn ACL | CP3 in COVID protocols - omahen - 06-19-2021

Wow, interesting results. Clippers blowing Utah 4-0 after they gave them a two game advantage. Even took Kawhi off the court for last two. So what does this mean for Utah? Do they go deep in the tax with Conley for a team that can't beat Kawhi less Clippers. Ingles and Bogi are not getting any younger. Yet another proof how players without an outside shot or post-up game are a huge liability, no matter how great defense they can play.

As for Philly it still reamins open about Simmons. But I don't think Mavs have anything Philly would want. Even top form KP would not be a great fit with Embiid. In any case I would be super concerned about Simmons. Any team would be basically playing 4 on 5 halfcourt offense with him in playoffs.

RE: AROUND the NBA: Kawhi OUT with a torn ACL | CP3 in COVID protocols - khaled1987 - 06-19-2021

(06-18-2021, 08:50 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: They refused to include him in a Harden package. Would love it. Don´t see a way.

Some say they did, some say it was PR from them but it was Rockets who refused to do any deal with them because of Morey. 
Anyway, they were interested in Lowry and I fully expect their MLE money will be to get PG and move Simmons to the Wings

RE: AROUND the NBA: Kawhi OUT with a torn ACL | CP3 in COVID protocols - Kammrath - 06-19-2021

https://twitter.com/ESPNStatsInfo/status/1406110227246817285

RE: AROUND the NBA: Kawhi OUT with a torn ACL | CP3 in COVID protocols - Thukydides - 06-19-2021

Watching Gobert and Embiid getting absolutely tortured in pick n rolls makes you really wonder, how this ever should work with KP.

RE: AROUND the NBA: Kawhi OUT with a torn ACL | CP3 in COVID protocols - HoosierDaddyKid - 06-19-2021

(06-19-2021, 07:56 AM)Thukydides Wrote: Watching Gobert and Embiid getting absolutely tortured in pick n rolls makes you really wonder, how this ever should work with KP.

Playing small has it's advantages. When the Clippers took Zubac out as a starter, they took off.

RE: AROUND the NBA: Kawhi OUT with a torn ACL | CP3 in COVID protocols - DanSchwartzgan - 06-19-2021

(06-19-2021, 03:58 AM)omahen Wrote: Wow, interesting results. Clippers blowing Utah 4-0 after they gave them a two game advantage. Even took Kawhi off the court for last two. So what does this mean for Utah? Do they go deep in the tax with Conley for a team that can't beat Kawhi less Clippers. Ingles and Bogi are not getting any younger. Yet another proof how players without an outside shot or post-up game are a huge liability, no matter how great defense they can play.

I've been much less sure about Utah's willingness to spend than others here.  With this result, I'm even less sure.  Conley's health is a concern, but I rate him much more highly than Lowry or DeRozan.  He's my guy from among the unrestricted crowd.  Hollinger glows any time he talks about him, so I suspect he's a fantastic person in addition to a very good player.  Give him 3 years to correspond to KP's remaining years.  Imagine this team if Conley had soaked up most of the THJ minutes last season.

RE: AROUND the NBA: Kawhi OUT with a torn ACL | CP3 in COVID protocols - omahen - 06-19-2021

(06-19-2021, 10:19 AM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: I've been much less sure about Utah's willingness to spend than others here.  With this result, I'm even less sure.  Conley's health is a concern, but I rate him much more highly than Lowry or DeRozan.  He's my guy from among the unrestricted crowd.  Hollinger glows any time he talks about him, so I suspect he's a fantastic person in addition to a very good player.  Give him 3 years to correspond to KP's remaining years.  Imagine this team if Conley had soaked up most of the THJ minutes last season.

I am not so sure he brings leadership CP3 and Lowry do. I am sure he is a great person, but I don't really see that "dog" in him I see in those two guys. I am not sure he is capable to command lockerroom and tell Luka or KP to shut up when need be (and I am sure when Lowry or CP3 speaks the rest listen and obey). I see him more as a quiet, hard working, lead by example type. Of course I may be totally wrong.

Sure, he would clearly be second best player and I would also love him on the team. But my goal would be to sign him and keep THJ. In the other thread you spoke about no feelings new guy might bring - Powell is the one who might be first in line, imho.

RE: AROUND the NBA: Kawhi OUT with a torn ACL | CP3 in COVID protocols - cjeter24 - 06-19-2021

So basically you are all pitching Simmons as Draymond Green with a worse shot...

I can buy that I suppose. I don't think it happens and it's not remotely my preferred trade idea.

RE: AROUND the NBA: Kawhi OUT with a torn ACL | CP3 in COVID protocols - ThisIStheYear - 06-19-2021

(06-19-2021, 02:33 AM)Branduil Wrote: Saying Simmons isn't nearly the same talent level as Giannis is an understatement. It's like comparing Josh Richardson to Luka.

Luka would torch JRich. Simmons is the only perimeter defender in the league I’ve seen who’s been able to take Luka out of his game. Luka knows that guy’s the best at what he does and would love to have him on this team.

Or, to put it another way, as a Luka fan, Simmons is the league’s only defender I fear. He pretty much has his way with anyone else. A player like that is super valuable.

RE: AROUND the NBA: Kawhi OUT with a torn ACL | CP3 in COVID protocols - DanSchwartzgan - 06-19-2021

(06-19-2021, 10:35 AM)omahen Wrote: I am not so sure he brings leadership CP3 and Lowry do. I am sure he is a great person, but I don't really see that "dog" in him I see in those two guys. I am not sure he is capable to command lockerroom and tell Luka or KP to shut up when need be (and I am sure when Lowry or CP3 speaks the rest listen and obey). I see him more as a quiet, hard working, lead by example type. Of course I may be totally wrong.

Sure, he would clearly be second best player and I would also love him on the team. But my goal would be to sign him and keep THJ. In the other thread you spoke about no feelings new guy might bring - Powell is the one who might be first in line, imho.

Maybe we just sign the one that says yes Smile.

I do like the idea of doing this in a way where THJ is retained.  Maybe we sign the one that says yes and then work with the losing team to come up with an acceptable trade match.  Trade matching doesn't help a room team like Toronto, but it might a capped team.  Would you do Maxi/JRich for Conley at $25mm x 3?  At first blush you might say hell no.  Why would I give up Maxi when I can sign Coley for free.  But doing so at that money means no THJ and the rMLE instead of the full MLE.  In essence the trade is Maxi for THJ and the better MLE.  Utah gets useful players (better than nothing and better than what they'd get using the T-MLE).

Speaking of clean sheets.  Something no one is even thinking about is the possibility JRich opts in and stays for a year.  The coach that sat him isn't here any more and he is still a Duffy client and needs to handled well.  Additionally, he is expiring and he and Maxi or he and Powell give us the possibility of a fairly sizable outgoing contract at the TDL.  Or, you keep him around as a way to give Green another year to season.

RE: AROUND the NBA: Kawhi OUT with a torn ACL | CP3 in COVID protocols - Chicagojk - 06-19-2021

(06-19-2021, 10:35 AM)omahen Wrote: I am not so sure he brings leadership CP3 and Lowry do. I am sure he is a great person, but I don't really see that "dog" in him I see in those two guys. I am not sure he is capable to command lockerroom and tell Luka or KP to shut up when need be (and I am sure when Lowry or CP3 speaks the rest listen and obey). I see him more as a quiet, hard working, lead by example type. Of course I may be totally wrong.

I brought up Conley in the past as well.  I plan to do a deeper dive on him and watch a lot of highlights over the next few weeks.   He could surely be an option.

I would like to see Jalen back.   But is there any trade where the Jazz do a sign and trade with Conley for Jalen and Powell/Maxi?   Would a move like that clear up room?   I'd imagine that might get tricky.   But could you then sign Hardaway and maybe have some room left over?

RE: AROUND the NBA: Kawhi OUT with a torn ACL | CP3 in COVID protocols - Chicagojk - 06-19-2021

(06-19-2021, 12:27 PM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: Maybe we just sign the one that says yes Smile.

I do like the idea of doing this in a way where THJ is retained.  Maybe we sign the one that says yes and then work with the losing team to come up with an acceptable trade match.  Trade matching doesn't help a room team like Toronto, but it might a capped team.  Would you do Maxi/JRich for Conley at $25mm x 3?  At first blush you might say hell no.  Why would I give up Maxi when I can sign Coley for free.  But doing so at that money means no THJ and the rMLE instead of the full MLE.  In essence the trade is Maxi for THJ and the better MLE.  Utah gets useful players (better than nothing and better than what they'd get using the T-MLE).

Speaking of clean sheets.  Something no one is even thinking about is the possibility JRich opts in and stays for a year.  The coach that sat him isn't here any more and he is still a Duffy client and needs to handled well.  Additionally, he is expiring and he and Maxi or he and Powell give us the possibility of a fairly sizable outgoing contract at the TDL.  Or, you keep him around as a way to give Green another year to season.

I like your post better than mine.   Better thoughts.

What a performance by Mann last night.  I really hope we have a rookie or three who was hiding in plain sight and just needed time to develop quietly.

Speaking of rookies, I know the Mavs passing on Bey is a big topic of discussion, but for I am watching Maxey really close in Philly.  He is the guy who we may look back on in time.    Still pretty raw, but has similar attributes as Green but is a much more advanced scorer off the dribble.   Not giving up on Green though.

Also, Tyrell Terry posted a few workouts in his instagram story.  This was a lost year for him and he has a lot development needed, but man is his shot gorgeous.   I will be rooting for him.

RE: AROUND the NBA: Kawhi OUT with a torn ACL | CP3 in COVID protocols - Scott41theMavs - 06-19-2021

(06-19-2021, 12:44 PM)Chicagojk Wrote: Also, Tyrell Terry posted a few workouts in his instagram story.  This was a lost year for him and he has a lot development needed, but man is his shot gorgeous.   I will be rooting for him.

If he doesn't get minutes with the new coach, whoever he is (presuming TT isn't traded), that will be a pretty good indication that it was simply a wasted pick, which would be another Scott41 '20 offseason excitement whiff (along with the Curry-JRich/Tiger trade).

RE: AROUND the NBA: Kawhi OUT with a torn ACL | CP3 in COVID protocols - Scott41theMavs - 06-19-2021

BTW, I would hope that our new GM's day one work consisted in working out Green, TT, Tiger, and Hinton to see if any of them are any good. Perhaps a little film, but Carlisle didn't play them nearly enough for us to know how good or bad they are.

RE: AROUND the NBA: Kawhi OUT with a torn ACL | CP3 in COVID protocols - KillerLeft - 06-19-2021

(06-19-2021, 02:50 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: ...but Carlisle didn't play them nearly enough for us to know how good or bad they are.

Correct. But, they (meaning those in the organization, at least those who are still here) do know.