MavsBoard
2020-2021 AROUND the NBA: Archived - Printable Version

+- MavsBoard (https://www.mavsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Boards (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Dallas Mavericks and the NBA (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: 2020-2021 AROUND the NBA: Archived (/showthread.php?tid=622)

RE: AROUND the NBA: Kawhi OUT with a torn ACL | CP3 in COVID protocols - jesusshuttlesworth82 - 06-18-2021

is that Reggie Jackson or Allen Iverson?

RE: AROUND the NBA: Kawhi OUT with a torn ACL | CP3 in COVID protocols - Scott41theMavs - 06-18-2021

This is genuinely hard to believe.

RE: AROUND the NBA: Kawhi OUT with a torn ACL | CP3 in COVID protocols - KillerLeft - 06-18-2021

(06-18-2021, 11:35 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: This is genuinely hard to believe.

Gobert -21 right now...rough. 

If HE is this hit and miss against the Clippers, Porzingis really had no chance.

RE: AROUND the NBA: Kawhi OUT with a torn ACL | CP3 in COVID protocols - Scott41theMavs - 06-18-2021

(06-18-2021, 11:38 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: Gobert -21 right now...rough. 

If HE is this hit and miss against the Clippers, Porzingis really had no chance.

Of course, the downside is that we go into next season without a good portion of what got us the success we had. 

Once again, Carlisle's a great coach. If he had problems with Luka, it was probably time for him to go.

RE: AROUND the NBA: Kawhi OUT with a torn ACL | CP3 in COVID protocols - Branduil - 06-18-2021

Hopefully the Mavs' new GM understands the nature of the new NBA. You can't spend max money on center who can't guard the perimeter and score against small-ball. If Gobert or KP could do either one the Clippers would be sitting home, instead they've played small-ball for 13 games because no one can punish them for it.

RE: AROUND the NBA: Kawhi OUT with a torn ACL | CP3 in COVID protocols - KillerLeft - 06-18-2021

(06-18-2021, 11:44 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: Of course, the downside is that we go into next season without a good portion of what got us the success we had. 

Once again, Carlisle's a great coach. If he had problems with Luka, it was probably time for him to go.

Huh? How'd we get here from a post about Gobert? 

You lost me.

RE: AROUND the NBA: Kawhi OUT with a torn ACL | CP3 in COVID protocols - Branduil - 06-18-2021

In retrospect gimmicky Boban lineups really were the best chance to beat the Clippers. If Boban had been able to play at his previous offensive level maybe it works.

(06-18-2021, 11:49 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: Huh? How'd we get here from a post about Gobert? 

You lost me.

Sorry - I had referred earlier to how the Clippers' success makes the Mavs look good, so I had that in mind. You yourself had given the credit for taking them to 7 to Luka and Carlisle.

(06-18-2021, 11:52 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: Sorry - I had referred earlier to how the Clippers' success makes the Mavs look good, so I had that in mind. You yourself had given the credit for taking them to 7 to Luka and Carlisle.

Oh, right. 

Yeah, I think the Clippers are figuring things out, and I think the Mavs gave them more than they expected, for sure. Doesn't mean I'm not disappointed by the first round exit, but it IS what I expected, and since they got so close to advancing I think it's important to give them whatever credit we can.

RE: AROUND the NBA: Kawhi OUT with a torn ACL | CP3 in COVID protocols - SwisherPrice - 06-19-2021

RC's best strength as a coach is in-game coaching and adjustments in the playoffs. Sometimes the team is just outmatched overall but they still push the opponent to the limit like 2014 vs. the Spurs or the Clips the last two years.  

He is not a players' coach or very good at overall player development and that's ultimately why he wasn't a good fit for Luka/KP and the rebuilding of this Mavs team the past 3 years. If he goes to a team that has established All-Star caliber veteran players in place then he should work out very well for them.

RE: AROUND the NBA: Kawhi OUT with a torn ACL | CP3 in COVID protocols - Branduil - 06-19-2021

(06-19-2021, 12:02 AM)SwisherPrice Wrote: RC's best strength as a coach is in-game coaching and adjustments in the playoffs. Sometimes the team is just outmatched overall but they still push the opponent to the limit like 2014 vs. the Spurs or the Clips the last two years.  

He is not a players' coach or very good at overall player development and that's ultimately why he wasn't a good fit for Luka/KP and the rebuilding of this Mavs team the past 3 years. If he goes to a team that has established All-Star caliber veteran players in place then he should work out very well for them.
I think he could definitely unlock the potential of a team like Milwaukee. If he could convince Giannis to become the rim-running center he's destined to be they are absolutely a contender.

RE: AROUND the NBA: Kawhi OUT with a torn ACL | CP3 in COVID protocols - ClutchDirk - 06-19-2021

https://m.imgur.com/4CZwpnD

RE: AROUND the NBA: Kawhi OUT with a torn ACL | CP3 in COVID protocols - SleepingHero - 06-19-2021

(06-18-2021, 08:44 PM)Kammrath Wrote: https://twitter.com/TheNBACentral/status/1406064951685484546

Could he be attainable this offseason??

I think PHI cannot use him right because of Embiid....he could ROCK next to Luka.

PLEAAAAAAAAASEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

I pray. What a player he'd be next to Luka as a 5.

RE: AROUND the NBA: Kawhi OUT with a torn ACL | CP3 in COVID protocols - KillerLeft - 06-19-2021

(06-19-2021, 12:56 AM)SleepingHero Wrote: I pray. What a player he'd be next to Luka as a 5.

Or even a 4, really, as long as the 5 was a shooter.

RE: AROUND the NBA: Kawhi OUT with a torn ACL | CP3 in COVID protocols - Branduil - 06-19-2021

I really think you guys would regret it if we got Simmons. His flaws are obvious and bad enough, but to me his arrogance and lack of desire to improve to help his team is damning. Imagine if KP still had his same flaws but refused to go to the corner and just shot endless bad post-ups and then refused to take responsibility for his play. That's Simmons.

RE: AROUND the NBA: Kawhi OUT with a torn ACL | CP3 in COVID protocols - SleepingHero - 06-19-2021

(06-19-2021, 12:59 AM)KillerLeft Wrote: Or even a 4, really, as long as the 5 was a shooter.

The fact that he's actually 6'11 blew my mind. I thought he was 6'10 leaning towards 6'9 rather than it being the other way around.

He's nearly the size Embiid and he can move around like that. SHEESH.

Philly fans might put enough pressure on the front office to force them to move Simmons. I'd throw the farm at him.

(06-19-2021, 01:04 AM)Branduil Wrote: I really think you guys would regret it if we got Simmons. His flaws are obvious and bad enough, but to me his arrogance and lack of desire to improve to help his team is damning. Imagine if KP still had his same flaws but refused to go to the corner and just shot endless bad post-ups and then refused to take responsibility for his play. That's Simmons.

His flaws would be hidden here rather than amplified as they are in PHI.

Simmons only takes about 10 shots a game on average and has a usage rate of 20%. He'd be asked to play the 5 on offense and guard whoever on defense. We don't get mad at Powell for not being able to create his shot in the 4th quarter. So I wouldn't be mad at Simmons either playing quite literally that exact same role. Unlike Powell though, Simmons is perhaps a top 5 defender in the league and can guard 1-5. While simultaneously being able to run the break. 

All he would have to do here is set a screen, pass out of the post, and run the offense for 15mpg when Luka sits. To me thats about as an ideal role you can have for Simmons.

I do think getting Simmons means the Mavs HAVE to get a secondary scorer worth about 17-20 ppg a night every night. KP ironically does fit that well and plays to Simmons strengths though he'd almost certainly be in the hypothetical trade. Simmons could be Giannis-lite here, I say with as little hyperbole as possible. At worst Draymond esque.

(06-19-2021, 02:04 AM)SleepingHero Wrote: His flaws would be hidden here rather than amplified as they are in PHI.

Simmons only takes about 10 shots a game on average and has a usage rate of 20%. He'd be asked to play the 5 on offense and guard whoever on defense. We don't get mad at Powell for not being able to create his shot in the 4th quarter. So I wouldn't be mad at Simmons either playing quite literally that exact same role. Unlike Powell though, Simmons is perhaps a top 5 defender in the league and can guard 1-5. While simultaneously being able to run the break. 

All he would have to do here is set a screen, pass out of the post, and run the offense for 15mpg when Luka sits. To me thats about as an ideal role you can have for Simmons.

I do think getting Simmons means the Mavs HAVE to get a secondary scorer worth about 17-20 ppg a night every night. KP ironically does fit that well and plays to Simmons strengths though he'd almost certainly be in the hypothetical trade. Simmons could be Giannis-lite here, I say with as little hyperbole as possible. At worst Draymond esque.
You can NOT hide a player who can't shoot free throws. Simmons literally runs away from the ball because he knows he'll get fouled and forced to shoot FTs. He would be worse than useless next to Luka.

(06-19-2021, 02:09 AM)Branduil Wrote: You can NOT hide a player who can't shoot free throws. Simmons literally runs away from the ball because he knows he'll get fouled and forced to shoot FTs. He would be worse than useless next to Luka.

I don't see how FT's would be an issue unless it's a close game in the 4th and they're playing hack-a-simmons. Which by the way would be an incredibly risky strategy to employ against a team that has Luka Doncic. By conceding the bonus so early you're asking to get torched by Luka, but anyways back to the main point.

Giannis is a perfect example of a superstar with subpar FT shooting that can still play just because of his talent. Simmons isn't nearly the same talent level as Giannis offensively, but he'd be playing almost exactly the same role and has an uncannily similar skillset to the Greek Freak. Except the main difference would be iso-scoring but he makes up for that in playmaking. 

Again, Draymond Green is another subpar free throw shooter. Heck he's one of the worst scorers I've ever seen. Has that ever stopped him from being played? 

In PHI, Simmons is almost set up to be the fall guy on purpose. His fit with Embiid was always suspect. They operate in the same area of the floor in the half court and they both like to play at totally different paces. I think you're vastly underrating the damage Simmons, a hyper athletic Center/Forward/Guard, could do next to a transcendent player like Luka.

Saying Simmons isn't nearly the same talent level as Giannis is an understatement. It's like comparing Josh Richardson to Luka.