MavsBoard
2020-2021 AROUND the NBA: Archived - Printable Version

+- MavsBoard (https://www.mavsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Boards (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Dallas Mavericks and the NBA (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: 2020-2021 AROUND the NBA: Archived (/showthread.php?tid=622)

RE: AROUND the NBA: Jokic wins MVP | Luka 6th - HoosierDaddyKid - 06-11-2021

(06-11-2021, 02:16 AM)sefant Wrote: Maybe Rick should have tried JRich on PG, and never change the starting 5 in the first place.

He did hold PG to 25 % FG in the last 2 years. PG ejected twice in games where JRich defended him during his career.

That's water under the dike now.

RE: AROUND the NBA: Jokic wins MVP | Luka 6th - Chicagojk - 06-11-2021

The Jazz have really been impressive in their first two games at home against the Clippers.    It will be interesting to see if this continues, but Leonard has looked human in the first two games...similar to his second round last year.  Is he tired or is the defense so much better that it is tough for him to take over games?   

Watching the Jazz, it is clear the Mavs need to upgrade their talent of their roster.   The Jazz have done a real nice job just making smart moves.  For some reason, I thought Ingles was a more recent acquisition (2017 ish).  He was acquired in 2014-215, so that is a little longer than I thought.   But they traded for Conley, signed Bogdanovich, traded for Clarkson (for Dante Exum and two seconds), Royce O'neal was undrafted playing overseas, and Nieng was a late second round pick, etc.  They just haven't made a lot of mistakes.   And the mistakes they did make with a guy like Exum they still got something of value for him.   

Just a real nice team.  I find myself rooting for them and the Bucks now the Mavs are eliminated.  Although, the Bucks looked very shaky last night and I don't have much hope they can win 3 more games.

RE: AROUND the NBA: Jokic wins MVP | Luka 6th - Kammrath - 06-11-2021

(06-10-2021, 11:53 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: Big advantage of a mobile rim protector/help defender is that all perimeter defenders can play more agressive. Not the end of the world if they are getting beaten as long as they recover or make the right rotation/switch.

THIS. Rudy makes EVERY UTA perimeter defender much better.

RE: AROUND the NBA: Jokic wins MVP | Luka 6th - omahen - 06-11-2021

This likely means no rebuild (yet). Beal still off the market. But on the other hand a possibly desperate team.

https://twitter.com/TheNBACentral/status/1403343199683424256

P.S.: The Athletic Wizards beat writer thinks a KP trade would require Bertans, Bryant and Hutchinson. No pick included. I guess I would take my chances with KP Smile

(06-11-2021, 08:49 AM)omahen Wrote: This likely means no rebuild (yet). Beal still off the market. But on the other hand a possibly desperate team.

P.S.: The Athletic Wizards beat writer thinks a KP trade would require Bertans, Bryant and Hutchinson. No pick included. I guess I would take my chances with KP Smile

No thank you.  Bertans is one of the shooters who I think every shot is going in, but he was not great this year.  He is a guy you want as your last piece to a ready made team.   And at his salary, I would probably stay away unless I was sure that move would put me over the top.  He is probably best served as a heavy bench minute player.

Bryant is coming off an ACL injury and I believe he was not know as a defender prior to his injury.  Nice offensive player though.  If will be interesting to see what the Wizzards do with their centers.  I assume Len is gone.   Lopez is a FA, but he had some good moments for them.  Gafford was very interesting when he came over from Chicago and Bryant will be back.   

Hutchison is interesting.   I saw a few games and thought he may have some potential down the road, but I also view him as a bench player.

I would much rather roll the KP dice instead of settling for two bench pieces and a wildcard coming off injuries.   We need to improve our starting talent, not keep building good depth imo.

RE: AROUND the NBA: Jokic wins MVP | Luka 6th - Mavs2021 - 06-11-2021

(06-11-2021, 08:49 AM)omahen Wrote: This likely means no rebuild (yet). Beal still off the market. But on the other hand a possibly desperate team.

Strange writer. Nobody writes Maxi Glue, but this guy apparently translated Hachimura´s name into English.

(06-11-2021, 09:29 AM)Chicagojk Wrote: I would much rather roll the KP dice instead of settling for two bench pieces and a wildcard coming off injuries.   We need to improve our starting talent, not keep building good depth imo.

I totally agree. I still think that nothing Washington has can be considered as a starter on a contender. Beal of course not part of any talks.

(06-11-2021, 09:29 AM)Chicagojk Wrote: Lopez is a FA, but he had some good moments for them. 

If we get a young center in return/as replacement for Porzingis like Turner, Bamba, WCJ, Hartenstein;  Robin Lopez would be my #1 veteran target to protect/teach. At 32 year old, he can probably give you a solid two years on 18-24 MPG. It´s only that we need to get the young guy to get all the other minutes and not Powell or Boban.

RE: AROUND the NBA: Jokic wins MVP | Luka 6th - ItsGoTime - 06-11-2021

(06-11-2021, 09:29 AM)Chicagojk Wrote: No thank you.  Bertans is one of the shooters who I think every shot is going in, but he was not great this year.  He is a guy you want as your last piece to a ready made team.   And at his salary, I would probably stay away unless I was sure that move would put me over the top.  He is probably best served as a heavy bench minute player.

Bryant is coming off an ACL injury and I believe he was not know as a defender prior to his injury.  Nice offensive player though.  If will be interesting to see what the Wizzards do with their centers.  I assume Len is gone.   Lopez is a FA, but he had some good moments for them.  Gafford was very interesting when he came over from Chicago and Bryant will be back.   

Hutchison is interesting.   I saw a few games and thought he may have some potential down the road, but I also view him as a bench player.

I would much rather roll the KP dice instead of settling for two bench pieces and a wildcard coming off injuries.   We need to improve our starting talent, not keep building good depth imo.
Exactly, I think it’s a bit ridiculous to think after watching how this FO operates for 20+ years that they would trade KP for this kind of value. Similar to how the other FOs are working, if you want to pay OUR price, he can be had, if not, we’ll keep him. This is what Was has been saying about Beal, what Orl said with AG and Vuc, how most all FO have been operating. Heck, NO stuck to their guns with the AD and JH trades. All of it comes down to, is the player asking out or not.

(06-11-2021, 09:49 AM)omahen Wrote: I totally agree. I still think that nothing Washington has can be considered as a starter on a contender. Beal of course not part of any talks.
I´d consider a Lopez one year S&T overpay to match salaries instead of Bertans, but then the question becomes whether the Mavs are satisfied with Bryant, Avdija, Bonga and the 15th pick. Cause Washington probably takes Gafford/Hachimura off the table.

RE: AROUND the NBA: Jokic wins MVP | Luka 6th - ClutchDirk - 06-11-2021

I can't believe a team paid security person who is KD's personal body guard rushed the court and shoved another player...

NBA needs to make an example out of this...but it's KD and the Nets Super Team so it will be ignored...

(06-11-2021, 08:49 AM)omahen Wrote: Bertans, Bryant and Hutchinson. No pick included.

Yeah wow. No chance I take that for KP. Rather dump him for air.

Could Toronto go for a rebuild?

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2933858-raptors-pascal-siakam-out-at-least-5-months-after-surgery-on-shoulder-injury

(06-11-2021, 02:02 PM)omahen Wrote: Could Toronto go for a rebuild?

I want Siakam on the Mavs.

RE: AROUND the NBA: Jokic wins MVP | Luka 6th - SleepingHero - 06-11-2021

(06-11-2021, 02:12 PM)Kammrath Wrote: I want Siakam on the Mavs.

Lets assume TOR does want to rebuild. That means no long term contracts and young players.

Does TOR do Siakam for Brunson+Green+Kleber(salary)+ Whatever firsts we have left?

They'd have to really like Brunson. Kleber could be flipped for more assets later as well. Does a Luka/KP/Siakam trio make the Mavs title contenders? I'm not so sure.

RE: AROUND the NBA: Jokic wins MVP | Luka 6th - Scott41theMavs - 06-11-2021

(06-11-2021, 02:12 PM)Kammrath Wrote: I want Siakam on the Mavs.

Even though he absolutely wouldn't be ready by training camp?

I am not really convinced about Siakam. Already 27, can't shoot from three, way overpaid. If he comes in a package with Masai Smile... FVV would be the one I would be after if Toronto decides for rebuild. Lowry as FA target....

(06-11-2021, 02:19 PM)omahen Wrote: FVV would be the one I would be after if Toronto decides for rebuild. Lowry as FA target....

Why do we want their short guards and NOT their two way wing?

(06-11-2021, 10:42 AM)ClutchDirk Wrote: I can't believe a team paid security person who is KD's personal body guard rushed the court and shoved another player...

NBA needs to make an example out of this...but it's KD and the Nets Super Team so it will be ignored...

Was that really KD's body guard????  I saw that and he came in and was physical and was lucky that did not escalate things.    I thought it was a arena or league guard.  If that was KD's personal guard there should be harsh punishment to the team for that.

RE: AROUND the NBA: Jokic wins MVP | Luka 6th - ClutchDirk - 06-11-2021

(06-11-2021, 02:26 PM)Chicagojk Wrote: Was that really KD's body guard????  I saw that and he came in and was physical and was lucky that did not escalate things.    I thought it was a arena or league guard.  If that was KD's personal guard there should be harsh punishment to the team for that.

Personal Body Guard who gets paid by the Nets...only job is guarding KD...