MavsBoard
2020-2021 AROUND the NBA: Archived - Printable Version

+- MavsBoard (https://www.mavsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Boards (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Dallas Mavericks and the NBA (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: 2020-2021 AROUND the NBA: Archived (/showthread.php?tid=622)

RE: AROUND the NBA: Jokic wins MVP | Luka 6th - dirkfansince1998 - 06-10-2021

For a player of his size/weight and age PJ Tucker´s lateral quickness is incredible. Probably the best defense against KD that I have seen this season. He will be a free agent but at his age he probably won´t be a priority for the Mavs. Would be a great addition.

RE: AROUND the NBA: Jokic wins MVP | Luka 6th - StepBackJay - 06-10-2021

(06-10-2021, 08:43 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: Giannis cannot be the main ball handler in a half court offense. As long as he insists on that role he isn´t going to win anything. Bucks offense looks terrible.

Giannis shooting 3s is losing basketball. Bud needs to go. That is just not a winning strategy.

RE: AROUND the NBA: Jokic wins MVP | Luka 6th - Hypermav - 06-10-2021

Neither team deserves to win.

(06-10-2021, 08:57 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: For a player of his size/weight and age PJ Tucker´s lateral quickness is incredible. Probably the best defense against KD that I have seen this season. He will be a free agent but at his age he probably won´t be a priority for the Mavs. Would be a great addition.

How is it that heavier, slower Lopez can guard the paint better than KP? Part of it is that Bucks perimeter defense is much better so guys don't just blow through the perimeter with no effort. I think some of it is just footwork and working on his defensive stance.

(06-10-2021, 08:59 PM)Hypermav Wrote: Neither team deserves to win.

100%

But the Bucks need the win. Down 0-2. KD, Irving and Harris with off nights. They won´t have another shooting performance like this. Better take advantage.

(06-10-2021, 09:00 PM)StepBackJay Wrote: How is it that heavier, slower Lopez can guard the paint better than KP? Part of it is that Bucks perimeter defense is much better so guys don't just blow through the perimeter with no effort. I think some of it is just footwork and working on his defensive stance.

Intangibles. However you want to call it. Experience, bball IQ, awareness. Way better timing on rotations. Better footwork and positioning.

Brown is awful.

I am telling you KP needs to just play Lopez' role. Like I said KP needs to work on getting into his defensive stance quicker, Some of this is just training and conditioning.

On offense he needs to be like a higher volume Lopez-esque corner shooter. He doesn't have to set up there every time. but he could be there easily 50% of the time. Shorter 3, faster path to the basket. That means 1 step to an easy jumpshot on close-outs. 2 steps to the basket and no defenders on one side. Easier path to rebounds and put backs. Also as we saw in the playoffs KP can make smart cuts to the offense when the defense has their head turned around. A good roller can pass to a cutting KP or to an open KP in the corner if his man leaves to help the roll-man.

KP at the top of the perimeter does stretch the court because of his range but he doesn't need to be there all game. He doesn't set good screens so there's not a great reason why he needs to be in the initial action other than when Luka wants the switch.  His post-ups need to go away forever. KP trying to seal guys in the paint probably needs to go away even though its counter-intuitive. KP is not strong enough to get position and when he does he still takes bad shots.

Simplify his offense to keep him efficient and also conserve some energy for defense/rebounding.

He took 4 shots for the Nets down the stretch.  I would freak out if I cared.

Brook Lopez with the game winning defensive play. Staying attached to Brown and challenging the shot at the rim. Maybe he is just more athletic than KP.

RE: AROUND the NBA: Jokic wins MVP | Luka 6th - HoosierDaddyKid - 06-10-2021

(06-10-2021, 09:09 PM)Hypermav Wrote: Brown is awful.

He's not awful. He makes good plays for them. It's the fact he had the ball in his hands the last two possessions. That can't happen. It should have been in KD's or Kyrie's hands, but give the Bucks credit for keeping it away from them.

(06-10-2021, 09:06 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: Intangibles. However you want to call it. Experience, bball IQ, awareness. Way better timing on rotations. Better footwork and positioning.

Yes you can see how low he gets in his stance which I believe helps him move laterally. KP stands tall and just gets turned around really easily. Defenders just dance around him like he's not there. Again some of this goes back to discipline, training, conditioning. If KP works on it I think he can get better. Maybe he relied too much on his natural abilities and less on mechanics, footwork, etc.. If he is tired or frustrated that might be part of it. Hopefully he comes back with a better mindset.

(06-10-2021, 09:11 PM)HoosierDaddyKid Wrote: He's not awful. He makes good plays for them. It's the fact he had the ball in his hands the last two possessions. It should have been in KD's or Kyrie's hands.

He is awful and always has been.

Wonder what kind of contract PJ Tucker will get in the offseason. As of know the Mavs aren´t good enough to attract ring chasers on vet min deals but if they operate over the cap the BAE would be perfect for him.

(06-10-2021, 09:16 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: Wonder what kind of contract PJ Tucker will get in the offseason. As of know the Mavs aren´t good enough to attract ring chasers on vet min deals but if they operate over the cap the BAE would be perfect for him.

PJ would be a nice addition. He will want to be on a contender tho.

https://twitter.com/KMonteroMMA/status/1403174436493139969?s=20

(06-10-2021, 09:17 PM)StepBackJay Wrote: PJ would be a nice addition. He will want to be on a contender tho.

I am at least somewhat hopeful that he would pick the Mavs over a team like the Bucks if they offer the BAE instead of the vet min. Not like he ever signed a big contract. Never made more than MLE money.

(06-10-2021, 09:13 PM)Hypermav Wrote: He is awful and always has been.

Gotcha...

(06-10-2021, 05:05 AM)Mavs2021 Wrote: No the funny thing is that I have been right about the Mavs for about 10 years now, and you still believe that you are right. I don´t shit on all these other teams, who have been more successful in the past 10 years without any semblance of self-reflection about my own team.

That there are even arguments about this after blowing up a championship team, Satnam Singh, JJ Redick, Rondo, Odom, Noel, Dwight Howard 300k trade down, premature Dwight extension, Rudy Fernandez hiding in Spain.....

To have arguably the best player in the league and one of the best coaches, you should have success. It´s almost f*cking impossible to be as bad as the Mavs.

People make fun of Charlotte, Sacramento, Orlando or Detroit as franchise failures all the time, but guess who is right there with them as winless in the play-offs for the last decade: the Dallas Mavericks. And none of these teams started their tenure with an NBA title.

I just want to know how Detroit who has won 3 titles is a franchise failure?  If you're saying currently? Yes. They haven't been good for 10 years at least. But there are plenty of teams who haven't won at least one, Dallas and Cleveland just won they're 1st recently. And it's very possible a new team could win their 1st this year. Detroit has a legacy, that most teams don't have.

RE: AROUND the NBA: Jokic wins MVP | Luka 6th - SleepingHero - 06-10-2021

(06-10-2021, 05:05 AM)Mavs2021 Wrote: No the funny thing is that I have been right about the Mavs for about 10 years now, and you still believe that you are right. I don´t shit on all these other teams, who have been more successful in the past 10 years without any semblance of self-reflection about my own team.

That there are even arguments about this after blowing up a championship team, Satnam Singh, JJ Redick, Rondo, Odom, Noel, Dwight Howard 300k trade down, premature Dwight extension, Rudy Fernandez hiding in Spain.....

To have arguably the best player in the league and one of the best coaches, you should have success. It´s almost f*cking impossible to be as bad as the Mavs.

People make fun of Charlotte, Sacramento, Orlando or Detroit as franchise failures all the time, but guess who is right there with them as winless in the play-offs for the last decade: the Dallas Mavericks. And none of these teams started their tenure with an NBA title.

You seem to be an incredibly results oriented fellow.

Win% last decade. 
CHA: 0.4454 (36 wins per season avg)
SAC: 0.377 (31 wins per season avg)
ORL: 0.4366 (36 wins per season avg)
DET: 0.4388 (36 wins per season avg)
DAL: 0.5168 (42 wins per season avg)

Playoff appearances
CHA: 2 appearances 
SAC: 0 appearances 
ORL: 4 appearances 
DET: 2 appearances 
DAL: 7 appearances 

Playoff wins this decade:
CHA: 3
SAC: 0
ORL: 5
DET: 0
DAL: 26 (10 if you don't want to count the championship) 

Championships
CHA: 0
SAC: 0 (unless we're counting the one from 1951 when they were called an entirely different name and in a different city. Then its 1)
ORL: 0 (last finals appearance 2009)
DET: 3 (last finals appearance 2005)
DAL: 1 (last finals appearance 2011)

So no. The Mavs as a franchise are not "right there with CHA/SAC/ORL/DET". Not even close. Maybe you should lighten up a bit?