MavsBoard
2020-2021 AROUND the NBA: Archived - Printable Version

+- MavsBoard (https://www.mavsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Boards (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Dallas Mavericks and the NBA (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: 2020-2021 AROUND the NBA: Archived (/showthread.php?tid=622)

RE: AROUND the NBA: Jokic wins MVP | Luka 6th - hakeemfaan - 06-09-2021

(06-09-2021, 10:59 AM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: I give you the defense but the Jazz are even worse 3-point chuckers than the Mavs. Lead the league in 3PA by a big margin. Ranked last in midrange attempts. 28th in attempts at the rim. Low assist numbers. 28th in ast% on 2s and 3s. 29th overall. Only Portland is worse. Mavs are 27th in both categories.
No ball movement. One screen. Semi open 3. Let it fly. Bigs crash the offensive glass (5th in total off rebounds, 3th in ORR). Bigs aren´t getting any touches.

In the game against the Clippers they attempted 50 3s. Only shot 34% from 3. Still won the game. At one point in the first quarter they did not score for 8 1/2 minutes. Missed 20 consecutive shots.

Not following this. Aren’t they one of the best 3 pt shooting teams though.  Not just quantity but in terms of percentage?   

Would anyone have a problem if Steph, KD , and Klay shot 3s?  

The gripe with the Mavs offense was that they were a poor shooting team that jacked up a lot of 3s. 

How can you compare them to the Mavs?

RE: AROUND the NBA: Jokic wins MVP | Luka 6th - dirkfansince1998 - 06-09-2021

(06-09-2021, 02:57 PM)hakeemfaan Wrote: The gripe with the Mavs offense was that they were a poor shooting team that jacked up a lot of 3s. 

Mavs ranked 18th in 3-point percentage this season but people also complained when the Mavs ranked 10th last season (league leading O-Rating). Bottom line. For a fan that is not following all teams it is easy to miss the league wide trend. The Jazz aren´t what they used to be (grit&grind Memphis 2.0 with twin towers Favors/Gobert). They have taken the D´Anthony/Morey ball approach to another level.
The Mavs take a lot of threes. Just like any other team. Some are taking it even further. Interesting part about the Jazz is that the entire front court isn´t getting any touches. Not a single stretch big in the rotation. Gobert and Favors screen. Roll to the rim. Establish position. Crash the glass.
Jazz also have a good defense that can carry them through cold shooting stretches. I think that is the bigger problem with the Mavs approach. Not sure if the Mavs can build something similar. Replace KP with a DPOY caliber big (maybe Myles Turner) and find one more legit 3&D guy. Also not sure if that should be the goal.

RE: AROUND the NBA: Jokic wins MVP | Luka 6th - hakeemfaan - 06-09-2021

(06-09-2021, 03:21 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: Mavs ranked 18th in 3-point percentage this season but people also complained when the Mavs ranked 10th last season (league leading O-Rating). Bottom line. For a fan that is not following all teams it is easy to miss the league wide trend. The Jazz aren´t what they used to be (grit&grind Memphis 2.0 with twin towers Favors/Gobert). They have taken the D´Anthony/Morey ball approach to another level.
The Mavs take a lot of threes. Just like any other team. Some are taking it even further. Interesting part about the Jazz is that the entire front court isn´t getting any touches. Not a single stretch big in the rotation. Gobert and Favors screen. Roll to the rim. Establish position. Crash the glass.
Jazz also have a good defense that can carry them through cold shooting stretches. I think that is the bigger problem with the Mavs approach. Not sure if the Mavs can build something similar. Replace KP with a DPOY caliber big (maybe Myles Turner) and find one more legit 3&D guy. Also not sure if that should be the goal.

We lost our best pure shooter and still kept taking a lot of poor shots. 

The other thing is that the Mavs, last year and this year, shot a lot of 3s with no one even there to make the defense respect the interior. Yes Rudy and Favors don’t score much but just like when we roll out Boban, teams at least have to commit a defender. 

The counter argument this year is that Luka got better at the midrange game. If your argument is that the offense as a whole is not bad and it just requires better shooters, I will agree. However IMO you cannot ignore that the team for what they were this season played a brand of offense that didn’t suit the personnel and also didn’t play much defense.  You can’t say their low post scheme is good but are just missing good low post players. 

The Jazz are a legit good team that plays to their strengths on both offense and on defense. The Mavs are maybe quite a bit away from them.

(06-09-2021, 04:06 PM)hakeemfaan Wrote: However IMO you cannot ignore that the team for what they were this season played a brand of offense that didn’t suit the personnel and also didn’t play much defense.

That´s certainly one of the problems and it´s not really on the players. Mavs wanted to improve on defense and added Iwundu, Johnson and Richardson. They also run a pick and roll heavy flow offense that requires multiple ballhandlers and at least 3-4 good shooters. All three additions looked really bad in the Mavs system. Sometimes I really wonder if Mark, Donnie and Rick actually talk with each other before they make a trade or sign a player.

(06-09-2021, 04:06 PM)hakeemfaan Wrote: We lost our best pure shooter and still kept taking a lot of poor shots. 

I think by now we all know that the trade was a mistake.

RE: AROUND the NBA: Jokic wins MVP | Luka 6th - KillerLeft - 06-09-2021

(06-09-2021, 04:22 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: I think by now we all know that the trade was a mistake.

Yeah, who in their right mind would ever have supported that trade?!

[Image: tumblr_ptui4u01y31r2pp2to1_500.gif]

RE: AROUND the NBA: Jokic wins MVP | Luka 6th - fifteenth - 06-09-2021

(06-09-2021, 04:25 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: Yeah, who in their right minds would ever have supported that trade?!

Most of us!!!

Cry

(06-09-2021, 04:25 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: Yeah, who in their right minds would ever have supported that trade?!

Only move that I supported last summer. Need T.Bey to step up. That´s how it goes when the Mavs trade for someone. Powell, THJ, Melli. The throw in was the target all along.

(06-09-2021, 04:35 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: Only move that I supported last summer. Need T.Bey to step up. That´s how it goes when the Mavs trade for someone. Powell, THJ, Melli. The throw in was the target all along.

The Trey Burke signing was better, am I right?

RE: AROUND the NBA: Jokic wins MVP | Luka 6th - StepBackJay - 06-09-2021

Bey has potential to be I guess like Powell on offense and a good switchable defender in the front court. Plays bigger than his size. I am not sure he even needs a shot if they are basically going to play him in the center spot on offense. He is a project but I could see him being a rotation player eventually.

https://twitter.com/ShamsCharania/status/1402793065488715788

[Image: E3e5l__WUAE6mtl?format=jpg&name=medium]

RE: AROUND the NBA: Jokic wins MVP | Luka 6th - Aussiebballer - 06-09-2021

No Derrick Rose first place vote?  Big Grin

Out of interest what do you think would happen to Curry’s 3pt % if his attempts double and he was taking more difficult shots?
He only shoots about 5 a game but if he was shooting 10 and more were contested his % would drop a lot I think.
Like if Luka only took open 3s I think his % would be much higher.

(06-09-2021, 08:36 PM)Aussiebballer Wrote: Out of interest what do you think would happen to Curry’s 3pt % if his attempts double and he was taking more difficult shots?
He only shoots about 5 a game but if he was shooting 10 and more were contested his % would drop a lot I think.
Like if Luka only took open 3s I think his % would be much higher.

This is the exact point I made last off-season, to voice my support for the Mavs choosing him as the most expendable value asset (instead of DFS, Kleber) to move in trade. I don't think he can get more shots off, due to his size (low release point, by default) and relatively slow release (not Kleber slow, but not THJ fast, either). I still agree with you on all of this, and I think you're asking the right questions about him. He'll never be a GREAT threat because of this, imo.

But in hindsight, OMG, would I rather have him on this roster than Josh Richardson.

(06-09-2021, 08:50 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: This is the exact point I made last off-season, to voice my support for the Mavs choosing him as the most expendable value asset (instead of DFS, Kleber) to move in trade. I don't think he can get more shots off, due to his size (low release point, by default) and relatively slow release (not Kleber slow, but not THJ fast, either). I still agree with you on all of this, and I think you're asking the right questions about him. He'll never be a GREAT threat because of this, imo.

But in hindsight, OMG, would I rather have him on this roster than Josh Richardson.

On the other hand. I think his overall game is underrated. Not as bad on defense as his reputation suggests. Nice midrange game and good touch around the rim. He knows how to take advantage of his shooting gravity. Fake. Drive. Midrange pull up or floater.

RE: AROUND the NBA: Jokic wins MVP | Luka 6th - HoosierDaddyKid - 06-09-2021

(06-09-2021, 10:32 AM)omahen Wrote: Good one Smile Simmons is one of most overrated players imho. Sure he is a great defender, but he is a huge offensive liability, especially in the playoffs.

I'm sure a lot of teams would take the overrated Simmons off Philly's hands. It's the other things he does,  besides scoring.

Campazzo and Rivers as the starting back court against CP3 and Booker. This one was over before it even started.

CP3 is the point god.. 17 pts, 15 assists, no turnovers. Hope he gets to his 1st WCF.

(06-09-2021, 10:33 PM)HoosierDaddyKid Wrote: CP3 is the point god.. 17 pts, 15 assists, no turnovers. Hope he gets to his 1st WCF.

Finals? He lost to the Warriors in 2018. Suffered an injury and missed the last few games.

I think CP3 has been CRIMINALLY underrated in recent years. One of the best players of all-time, imo. 

They say all the same things about him they used to say about Dirk. We all know how much lightning in a bottle the Mavs had to catch in order to win in 2011, and we all know it very easily could've gone another way. Imagine how people would look at Dirk if he didn't have 2011!

RE: AROUND the NBA: Jokic wins MVP | Luka 6th - Mavs2021 - 06-09-2021

(06-09-2021, 10:53 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: I think CP3 has been CRIMINALLY underrated in recent years. One of the best players of all-time, imo. 

They say all the same things about him they used to say about Dirk. We all know how much lightning in a bottle the Mavs had to catch in order to win in 2011, and we all know it very easily could've gone another way. Imagine how people would look at Dirk if he didn't have 2011!

Or that Sarver is a stupid and cheap owner.
Or that Ayton is a pick failure.
Or that Booker is a chucking loser.
Or that Jones is a LeBron nepotism GM.

Yet the Suns might go on to win the NBA championship, while we have (based on the play-offs) two useful NBA players under contract (Luka/DFS) and are about to severely overpay THJ, just so we can say we have three. Rolleyes

(06-09-2021, 10:39 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: Finals? He lost to the Warriors in 2018. Suffered an injury and missed the last few games.

I stand corrected. I meant to say his 1st Finals.  My bad.