MavsBoard
2020-2021 AROUND the NBA: Archived - Printable Version

+- MavsBoard (https://www.mavsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Boards (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Dallas Mavericks and the NBA (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: 2020-2021 AROUND the NBA: Archived (/showthread.php?tid=622)

RE: AROUND the NBA: POR Fires Stotts - Kammrath - 06-06-2021

(06-06-2021, 08:57 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: This has always bothered me...does the 8 second rule not apply in that situation?

It doesnt make any sense to me.....BUT NBA games don't need to take longer, so I get having a running clock in some situations.

RE: AROUND the NBA: POR Fires Stotts - SwisherPrice - 06-06-2021

It's a weird loophole but smart for the Hawks to take advantage of it. They actually could have milked 4 more seconds if they just held the ball before inbounding it to beat the 5-second violation. I wish the Mavs would do that when they have a lead because the game clock doesn't stop after a made bucket until the 2:00 mark at the end of the 2nd/4th I believe.

RE: AROUND the NBA: POR Fires Stotts - omahen - 06-07-2021

(06-06-2021, 08:57 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: This has always bothered me...does the 8 second rule not apply in that situation?

That was an obvious mistake by whoever is running the clock. It shouldn't start until Atlanta touched the ball

RE: AROUND the NBA: POR Fires Stotts - Kammrath - 06-07-2021

https://twitter.com/TheNBACentral/status/1401893041116418048

Here is ONE trade candidate for KP...and we heard rumors of their interest at the TDL:

https://twitter.com/HoopsRumors/status/1401902947252985857

https://twitter.com/AmicoHoops/status/1401908023732416519

RE: AROUND the NBA: POR Fires Stotts - Halfnir - 06-07-2021

(06-07-2021, 03:55 AM)omahen Wrote: That was an obvious mistake by whoever is running the clock. It shouldn't start until Atlanta touched the ball

No, the game clock does not stop after a successful basket unless in the last 2 minutes of the 4th quarter or overtime.

(06-07-2021, 09:33 AM)Halfnir Wrote: No, the game clock does not stop after a successful basket unless in the last 2 minutes of the 4th quarter or overtime.

Didn't know that. Still, mistake by whoever is running the 24s clock

RE: AROUND the NBA: POR Fires Stotts - SleepingHero - 06-07-2021

(06-07-2021, 09:26 AM)Kammrath Wrote: https://twitter.com/AmicoHoops/status/1401908023732416519

Mavs could easily outmatch offers from both teams.

The only thing I don't like about McCollum is his age. He's 29. If he was 27 I'd be even more enamored with the chance to trade for him.

RE: AROUND the NBA: POR Fires Stotts - Halfnir - 06-07-2021

(06-07-2021, 10:05 AM)omahen Wrote: Didn't know that. Still, mistake by whoever is running the 24s clock

Nope again, the 24s clock starts when the first player in the field touches the ball. 

The sequence is as follows: 
- Ball goes through the rim, 24s resets and is stopped, game clock continues (stops in last 2 mins of last quarter/OT)
- Ball made available to the inbounding player (either he gathers it or it's handed to him by the ref).
- Inbounding player has 5 sec to inbound the ball by giving up control of it. 
- First player of either team touching it starts 24s as well as 8s to advance the ball (and game clock if it was stopped before)

There is a bit of a grey zone about what happens if noone makes himself available to inbound. I think in worst case the ref can call delay of game (any whistle stops the game clock) or make the ball available for inbound by putting the ball on the floor next the the baseline and start the 5 sec count.

So you can milk the game clock by delaying the ball to be made available for inbound (have the ref gather it and switch or late decide on inbound player), then taking the max 5 secs to inbound and then in the period after the inbounding player gives it up and it is touched by the first player.

RE: AROUND the NBA: POR Fires Stotts - Mavs2021 - 06-07-2021

(06-07-2021, 09:22 AM)Kammrath Wrote: Here is ONE trade candidate for KP...and we heard rumors of their interest at the TDL:

https://twitter.com/HoopsRumors/status/1401902947252985857
The underrated factor is that Cuban likes to make basketball decisions based on marketing opportunities. Therefore Hachimura (the male Naomi Osaka) must be of significant interest to him. So maybe that could sway Cuban to pull the trigger on a futuristic trade like:

Hachimura, Bryant, Bertans and the Wizards 1st round pick for Porzingis.

RE: AROUND the NBA: POR Fires Stotts - ItsGoTime - 06-07-2021

(06-07-2021, 11:13 AM)Mavs2021 Wrote: The underrated factor is that Cuban likes to make basketball decisions based on marketing opportunities. Therefore Hachimura (the male Naomi Osaka) must be of significant interest to him. So maybe that could sway Cuban to pull the trigger on a futuristic trade like:

Hachimura, Bryant, Bertans and the Wizards 1st round pick for Porzingis.
Make it either Avdija or their 23 first and you got a deal! That way we are back in business as far as our own picks or we get a player who made it past their rookie season.

RE: AROUND the NBA: POR Fires Stotts - SleepingHero - 06-07-2021

(06-07-2021, 11:20 AM)ItsGoTime Wrote: we get a player who made it past their rookie season.

Avdija absolutely destroyed his ankle this year. Gordon Hayward level bad. He'll be out well into next season too.

(06-07-2021, 11:20 AM)ItsGoTime Wrote: Make it either Avdija or their 23 first and you got a deal! That way we are back in business as far as our own picks or we get a player who made it past their rookie season.

I am really not interested in Washington trade, simply because I don't believe any of their players is a starter on a contending team. Bertans is overpaid bench shooter, Bryant plays offense but no defense and basically missed whole season to ACL, Hachimura is an undersized PF who doesn't shoot threes. Avdija can't shoot and in general looked pretty much lost before he injured himself. He has long way to go. 2023 pick would be intriguing although I doubt they would give us an unprotected one. I would want a third team involved if Washington wants KP.

RE: AROUND the NBA: POR Fires Stotts - HoosierDaddyKid - 06-07-2021

(06-07-2021, 09:18 AM)Kammrath Wrote: https://twitter.com/TheNBACentral/status/1401893041116418048

"If you're going to talk the talk, you gotta walk the walk".

RE: AROUND the NBA: POR Fires Stotts - ItsGoTime - 06-07-2021

(06-07-2021, 01:01 PM)omahen Wrote: I am really not interested in Washington trade, simply because I don't believe any of their players is a starter on a contending team. Bertans is overpaid bench shooter, Bryant plays offense but no defense and basically missed whole season to ACL, Hachimura is an undersized PF who doesn't shoot threes. Avdija can't shoot and in general looked pretty much lost before he injured himself. He has long way to go. 2023 pick would be intriguing although I doubt they would give us an unprotected one. I would want a third team involved if Washington wants KP.
I think there is plenty more basketball to be played with those players. They don't have to be what they are in Was. They can get worse, stagnant or better. They are still on their rookie contracts. If we're going to trade KP, I think this is enough value for the FO to pull the trigger. Of course, I'd prefer this be enough value going to IND in order to trade either Turner or Brogdon or both as a 3rd team!

Also, Bertans becomes the reason we don't need to resign THJ giving us his money to spend on other holes. If Bryant isn't the guy we need to start, use that money to get Holmes. If Avdija isn't going to be ready right away, use some of the money to ensure we get Batum. If we get all our picks back, use one to ensure a restricted FA SnT like Collins or Ball. Lots of ways to go with that trade. We could either find out they were misused in Was and become permanent rotation players here, or their value is built up to make a trade for something else that would fit better.

RE: AROUND the NBA: POR Fires Stotts - dirkfansince1998 - 06-07-2021

Justin Jackson is on the Bucks bench. When did that happen? They are doomed. Last year they had Wes Matthews. Now they added Jackson. Cannot win with former Mavs scrubs on the roster.

RE: AROUND the NBA: POR Fires Stotts - Mavs2021 - 06-07-2021

(06-07-2021, 07:02 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: Justin Jackson is on the Bucks bench. When did that happen? They are doomed. Last year they had Wes Matthews. Now they added Jackson. Cannot win with former Mavs scrubs on the roster.

If the Bucks get swept by a Harden-less Nets team.... Giannis WHY Oh WHY did you have to sign that extension? You and Luka. Magic and Kareem. Championships for the next decade. For Middleton and Holiday. Cry

RE: AROUND the NBA: POR Fires Stotts - sefant - 06-07-2021

Middelton/Lopez for KP?

RE: AROUND the NBA: POR Fires Stotts - KillerLeft - 06-07-2021

(06-07-2021, 07:18 PM)Mavs2021 Wrote: Giannis WHY Oh WHY did you have to sign that extension?

Huge mistake for Giannis, huge mistake for the league to allow it to happen. Dallas, Toronto and Miami would all have been better choices.