MavsBoard
2020-2021 AROUND the NBA: Archived - Printable Version

+- MavsBoard (https://www.mavsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Boards (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Dallas Mavericks and the NBA (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: 2020-2021 AROUND the NBA: Archived (/showthread.php?tid=622)

RE: AROUND the NBA: Ainge OUT in BOS w/ Brad Stevens moving to front office - Tyler - 06-04-2021

One LA team down, one to go.

RE: AROUND the NBA: Ainge OUT in BOS w/ Brad Stevens moving to front office - HoosierDaddyKid - 06-04-2021

Drummond was a waste signing for the Lakers, he didn't even play the last game. Hope his one dimensional ass, doesn't think he's getting a huge deal this off season.

RE: AROUND the NBA: Ainge OUT in BOS w/ Brad Stevens moving to front office - Hypermav - 06-04-2021

https://twitter.com/Gigz/status/1400682680061071365?s=20

RE: AROUND the NBA: Ainge OUT in BOS w/ Brad Stevens moving to front office - Hypermav - 06-04-2021

https://twitter.com/dubsant/status/1400316189071622150?s=20

RE: AROUND the NBA: Ainge OUT in BOS w/ Brad Stevens moving to front office - Mavs2021 - 06-04-2021

I have to say it is very enjoyable to see Robin Hood steal from the rich and give to the poor. Two favourites busted in embarrassing fashion.

(06-04-2021, 12:34 AM)HoosierDaddyKid Wrote: Drummond was a waste signing for the Lakers, he didn't even play the last game. Hope his one dimensional ass, doesn't think he's getting a huge deal this off season.

At least they didn´t waste a 2nd round pick on it. Tongue

RE: AROUND the NBA: Ainge OUT in BOS w/ Brad Stevens moving to front office - ClutchDirk - 06-04-2021

https://twitter.com/BleacherReport/status/1400695579928195078

RE: AROUND the NBA: Ainge OUT in BOS w/ Brad Stevens moving to front office - HanspardsShowerVoice - 06-04-2021

(06-04-2021, 12:34 AM)HoosierDaddyKid Wrote: Drummond was a waste signing for the Lakers, he didn't even play the last game. Hope his one dimensional ass, doesn't think he's getting a huge deal this off season.

He was soooooo bad every time he was on the floor.    Should have been benched long ago, but  the Lakers had probably given him some sort of verbal promises to sign after he was bought out.  Really astonishing how much collective time was wasted by Mavs fans speculating on a guy who is (at best) the 9th man in the rotation on a playoff team.

RE: AROUND the NBA: Ainge OUT in BOS w/ Brad Stevens moving to front office - Chicagojk - 06-04-2021

It is funny how things play out.   I think most thought the Lakers offseason was excellent.  I too thought they had gotten better.  I have never been a big Schroeder fan, but really liked the Harrell and Gasol signings.  Both struggled in the bubble, but thought both would bounce back.   

Maybe if Lebron and AD were healthy this year, things would have turned out differently.   Although they have some difficult questions this offseason.  Especially at Lebron's age, things could get tricky fast.

RE: AROUND the NBA: Ainge OUT in BOS w/ Brad Stevens moving to front office - HanspardsShowerVoice - 06-04-2021

The Pels beat writer for the Athletic puts the odds at 40-50% that Ball returns to New Orleans.    He believes the Pels are going to be aggressive in reshaping their backcourt and will probably let Ball move on if he gets a substantial offer.    Feel like he's going to be a Knick.

RE: AROUND the NBA: Ainge OUT in BOS w/ Brad Stevens moving to front office - StepBackJay - 06-04-2021

(06-04-2021, 08:14 AM)HanspardsShowerVoice Wrote: Feel like he's going to be a Knick.

Feels like everyone's going to be a Knick this year.

RE: AROUND the NBA: Ainge OUT in BOS w/ Brad Stevens moving to front office - chaparral - 06-04-2021

The NBA's new branding after tonight's Mavs win.  "Come see the Wild Wests Young Guns".

Doncic - 22  vs  Mitchell - 24  and   Booker - 24  vs  Jokic - 26.

RE: AROUND the NBA: Ainge OUT in BOS w/ Brad Stevens moving to front office - Chicagojk - 06-04-2021

(06-04-2021, 08:14 AM)HanspardsShowerVoice Wrote: The Pels beat writer for the Athletic puts the odds at 40-50% that Ball returns to New Orleans.    He believes the Pels are going to be aggressive in reshaping their backcourt and will probably let Ball move on if he gets a substantial offer.    Feel like he's going to be a Knick.

I am not a fan of Ball to the Mavs.  I also don't think either Ball or the Mavs would fancy each other either.   Ball was my favorite player in the draft too.   He is really smart and very good BB IQ.  He is also long and a good defender.

But at his asking price, I don't think he moves the needle.   He shot the ball well this year but I don't consider him a great shooter.  He also doesn't penetrate much or get to the line.  He shot the ball better from the FT line this year but previous he was awful and I think shied away from driving to the basket because he didn't want to be fouled.  

I want a player who we create more force by being able to put pressure by getting into the lane.  Not pay 20 plus million to a guy who mostly gets his points by launching threes.    I also don't think Luka would feel any pressure to give the ball up and let him be a secondary playmaker too.  Ball should actually be a real good fit playing with Zion.  To me it is telling they don't consider him a must sign.

Zach Lowe's podcast with Chris Herring brought up the Portland situation...

The Blazers not even able to take the Nuggets to a Game 7 in the first round, without Murray and without Will Barton and without PJ Dozier, is absolutely devastating.   Even after going all in after the RoCo and Powell trades they're still in the same spot they were in 3-4 years ago, and now they're getting passed by the Suns, Nuggets, Jazz, Mavs, etc. in the conference.  

The problem that the Blazers will run into shopping McCollum is the rest of the league think he is ideally the #3 player on a great team.  The results in the playoffs bear that out.   There's a big gap from where #1 and real #2s are and where McCollum is.   So if you trade McCollum it’s not like you’re going to magically get a great #2 player in exchange for him to put next to Dame.    What you’re really trying to get is another #3 player who fits better next to Dame.    Flipping a #3 for another #3 isn’t going to change your world as an organization.    You also can’t trade McCollum for just draft assets, because you’ve just made your team worse in the short run and Dame doesn’t want that.    You can only trade him for someone who you believe makes you better in 2021-2022.   So they are in a tough spot.  

Lowe’s fake CJ McCollum trades based on nothing … CJ for Tobias Harris, if Sixers get bounced in the playoffs.   Trading him for an Almost All Star is about all they can expect.   Herring brought up the Knicks as a possiblity because the Knicks need offense and the Blazers need defense, but the Knicks probably wouldn't trade Barrett for him and they might not have an asset that really moves the needle for the Blazers that makes them a better contender in 2021-2022.

RE: AROUND the NBA: Ainge OUT in BOS w/ Brad Stevens moving to front office - omahen - 06-04-2021

(06-04-2021, 02:19 PM)HanspardsShowerVoice Wrote: Zach Lowe's podcast with Chris Herring brought up the Portland situation...

I actually wonder if it is not their best hope to just change the coach and try to run it back. But it would take owners to pay huge tax bill.

(06-04-2021, 02:21 PM)omahen Wrote: I actually wonder if it is not their best hope to just change the coach and try to run it back. But it would take owners to pay huge tax bill.

They spent a lot of time talking about whether it's time to trade Dame and start over.   That's probably the logical step for them objectively if you take an unsentimental look at the situation, but I don't see them doing it unless Dame demands a trade.    It could be another 20 years before a small market like Portland stumbles into another face of the franchise player like that.   They're never going to attract a superstar in free agency to replace him.    I also don't see a great trade partner.  I'm sure the Knicks and Heat would offer a pu pu platter of future mediocre draft picks and role players, but that wouldn't move the needle much for me.   Lowe brought up Jaylen Brown + picks for Dame .. that might be a little more interesting.  Brown could be a Paul George in his prime type of 2 way wing.  They also brought up maybe a trade to New Orleans featuring Ingram .. which ... kinda meh about.   I think Ingram can be a great stats on a bad team guy, but where does he ultimately get you as a franchise?  Not far, judging by where New Orleans is at.

(06-04-2021, 02:06 PM)Chicagojk Wrote: I am not a fan of Ball to the Mavs.  I also don't think either Ball or the Mavs would fancy each other either.   Ball was my favorite player in the draft too.   He is really smart and very good BB IQ.  He is also long and a good defender.

But at his asking price, I don't think he moves the needle.   He shot the ball well this year but I don't consider him a great shooter.  He also doesn't penetrate much or get to the line.  He shot the ball better from the FT line this year but previous he was awful and I think shied away from driving to the basket because he didn't want to be fouled.  

I want a player who we create more force by being able to put pressure by getting into the lane.  Not pay 20 plus million to a guy who mostly gets his points by launching threes.    I also don't think Luka would feel any pressure to give the ball up and let him be a secondary playmaker too.  Ball should actually be a real good fit playing with Zion.  To me it is telling they don't consider him a must sign.

I go back and forth on Ball.   Definitely one of those guys who you can build a strong case for on paper, but then everytime I watch the Pels I completely forget he's on the court for like quarters at a time.   Which is fine, you need those behind the scenes, play defense and do the dirty work guys.   DoDo is like that, and he's invaluable, but DoDo makes $4 million a year and we're talking about possibly $20 million a year for Ball.

The Athletic writer put the odds at better than 50/50 that Ball doesn't return because he's always brought up in trade rumors and generally when that's the case it's because their current team already has one foot out the door and looking for a reason to pull the trigger and move on.   That's probably fairly true.

RE: AROUND the NBA: Ainge OUT in BOS w/ Brad Stevens moving to front office - F Gump - 06-04-2021

For those who hate KP, what's wrong with this idea?
KP + J-Rich (opted-in) for Covington + McCollum

For those who think KP is valuable, is it enough? Is McCollum an answer for the Mavs, or just another overpaid small guy? Does McCollum offer anything that THJ does not (if so, you don't want to spend assets for a lateral move, right)? Is he an offensive upgrade but an extreme defensive downgrade (and potential nightmare alongside Luka)?

And if the teams talk a trade like this, are picks needed to entice one side or the other to do the deal? If so, who gets the pick(s)?

RE: AROUND the NBA: Ainge OUT in BOS w/ Brad Stevens moving to front office - Scott41theMavs - 06-04-2021

(06-04-2021, 03:51 PM)F Gump Wrote: For those who hate KP, what's wrong with this idea?

For those who think KP is valuable, is it enough? Is McCollum an answer for the Mavs, or just another overpaid small guy? Does McCollum offer anything that THJ does not (if so, you don't want to spend assets for a lateral move, right)? Is he an offensive upgrade but an extreme defensive downgrade (and potential nightmare alongside Luka)?

And if the teams talk a trade like this, are picks needed to entice one side or the other to do the deal? If so, who gets the pick(s)?

If the Blazers included Roco in such a deal, that means they're giving up.

RE: AROUND the NBA: Ainge OUT in BOS w/ Brad Stevens moving to front office - ClutchDirk - 06-04-2021

After Dame's comments the Blazers will need to do something as he and others are frustrated currently...

(06-04-2021, 03:51 PM)F Gump Wrote: For those who hate KP, what's wrong with this idea?

I don't think the Blazers do this.  KP is enticing upside, but I think you got to account for Dame's loyalty.   If Portland decides to trade his running mate, they need a more sure thing imo.   If they move McCollum and it doesn't work, then shortly Dame will probably decide it is time to leave Portland.    I don't think betting on KP is a smart strategy at their current spot.  That is just me though.  I really like McCollum though.  The fit is not great here, but he is a really good player.  

I am also not sure about the cap commitments and that certainly plays a point in trades.  So maybe I am missing something.