MavsBoard
2020-2021 AROUND the NBA: Archived - Printable Version

+- MavsBoard (https://www.mavsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Boards (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Dallas Mavericks and the NBA (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: 2020-2021 AROUND the NBA: Archived (/showthread.php?tid=622)

RE: AROUND the NBA: - KillerLeft - 05-25-2021

(05-25-2021, 08:53 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: I think Tatum and Brown both fall into the not good enough to win a championship as a first option category.

I think that's recency bias, especially with Tatum. 

Don't get me wrong - he's definitely not good enough NOW. But, part of me thinks this is just how NORMAL great players (not Luka) progress: in a zigzag path, with serious valleys along the way. He gets too much hype on the peaks, but I think he gets discounted too much on the valleys. He has been in the league for a while, but he's only 23! Are you sure you've got a bead drawn on how good he'll be when he's 27?

(05-25-2021, 08:53 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: Giving up the only legit big on the roster to avoid the luxury tax was an epic failure.

I totally agree that some missteps have been made with that team. No doubt.

RE: AROUND the NBA: - dirkfansince1998 - 05-25-2021

(05-25-2021, 08:57 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: I think that's recency bias, especially with Tatum. 

Don't get me wrong - he's definitely not good enough NOW. But, part of me thinks this is just how NORMAL great players (not Luka) progress: in a zigzag path, with serious valleys along the way. He gets too much hype on the peaks, but I think he gets discounted too much on the valleys. He has been in the league for a while, but he's only 23! Are you sure you've got a bead drawn on how good he'll be when he's 27?

You are probably right. Just think that it is a lot easier to build around a better playmaker. Iso scoring, shooting, defense. All great to have but he isn´t the kind of player that makes the game easier for his teammates. Basically KD light without a Curry/Harden level playmaker next to him.

(05-25-2021, 09:06 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: Just think that it is a lot easier to build around a better playmaker. Iso scoring, shooting, defense. All great to have but he isn´t the kind of player that makes the game easier for his teammates. Basically KD light without a Curry/Harden level playmaker next to him.

I agree with this. I wrote just the other day that I thought Boston was low-key misusing Tatum the same way Milwaukee misuses Giannis. Everyone wants to be the next LeBron now, I guess, but maybe he'll figure out that scoring will be easier if he allows the team to run a real offense.

RE: AROUND the NBA: - fifteenth - 05-25-2021

(05-25-2021, 08:24 PM)Kammrath Wrote: The Celtics are a disaster of a team. Soooooo glad the Mavs aren't in their situation.

If we had their coach, GM, picked the players they picked, and got the free agents they got, we'd be set.

RE: AROUND the NBA: - Kammrath - 05-25-2021

(05-25-2021, 08:53 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: I think Tatum and Brown both fall into the not good enough to win a championship as a first option category.

SO much this. Tatum is more hype than anything else IMO. 

He is a GOOD basketball player, but in no way someone who will lead you to a title IMO.

(05-25-2021, 09:23 PM)Kammrath Wrote: He is a GOOD basketball player, but in no way someone who will lead you to a title IMO.

He's 23! 

Do you remember Dirk at 23?

RE: AROUND the NBA: - Tyler - 05-25-2021

Of all the potential problems to talk about in Boston (questionable coaching, cocky GM, toxic locker room, broken roster, non-existent frontcourt, every big FA bailing asap), IMO singling out Tatum and Brown really misses the mark. They're both good players -- they just can't do it alone.

But I'd love nothing more than for Boston to kneejerk and trade either guy to Dallas. Anyone but Luka, and I'm all ears.

RE: AROUND the NBA: - SleepingHero - 05-26-2021

(05-25-2021, 09:06 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: You are probably right. Just think that it is a lot easier to build around a better playmaker. Iso scoring, shooting, defense. All great to have but he isn´t the kind of player that makes the game easier for his teammates. Basically KD light without a Curry/Harden level playmaker next to him.

I agree with you it's just easier to build a team around a primary offensive creator that also has a talent for scoring, but Tatum is the real deal. He's led BOS to the ECF 3 out of the last 4 years before 25.

Once he figures out he needs to attack the basket at will instead of settling for his Kobe-like jumpers he'll take another jump. It's funny because he's already averaging close to 30ppg with pretty good defense. I like your comp to KD-lite too.

(05-25-2021, 09:23 PM)Kammrath Wrote: SO much this. Tatum is more hype than anything else IMO. 

He is a GOOD basketball player, but in no way someone who will lead you to a title IMO.

I don't know how we can say that when BOS has been on the door-step to the finals since 2017 with Tatum at the helm. 3 out of the last 4 ECF featured BOS.

(05-25-2021, 09:38 PM)Tyler Wrote: But I'd love nothing more than for Boston to kneejerk and trade either guy to Dallas. Anyone but Luka, and I'm all ears.

I'd pack KP's bags in a heartbeat for Tatum. Sadly Ainge will be committed to a mental institution before that ever happens.

I'm also just going to leave this here. Could be nothing or it could be everything: https://fadeawayworld.net/nba-media/jayson-tatum-says-dallas-is-an-underrated-city-think-thats-a-great-place-they-got-great-fans-a-great-environment

RE: AROUND the NBA: - KillerLeft - 05-26-2021

Hopefully, we can all agree that IF the Mavs were somehow able to put Tatum next to Luka it would be game over for the NBA.

RE: AROUND the NBA: - Kammrath - 05-26-2021

(05-26-2021, 12:48 AM)KillerLeft Wrote: Hopefully, we can all agree that IF the Mavs were somehow able to put Tatum next to Luka it would be game over for the NBA.

"Game over"? I wouldn't go that far. But I think Tatum as the 2nd banana is his best role and would help his team win the most.

(05-26-2021, 12:49 AM)Kammrath Wrote: "Game over"? I wouldn't go that far. But I think Tatum as the 2nd banana is his best role and would help his team win the most.

Ok, you are officially a Tatum hater. YOU, sir, are a TATER.

(05-26-2021, 12:49 AM)Kammrath Wrote: "Game over"? I wouldn't go that far. But I think Tatum as the 2nd banana is his best role and would help his team win the most.

Tatum is the ideal running mate next to Luka. I mean c'mon. He's averaging close to 27 a game. He's a 2 way player. He just turned 23. 

That 2 man combination would be so lethal that I don't know how teams could try and defend that. It'd be comical.

RE: AROUND the NBA: - Hypermav - 05-26-2021

(05-26-2021, 12:51 AM)KillerLeft Wrote: YOU, sir, are a TATER
Classic

RE: AROUND the NBA: - Hypermav - 05-26-2021

https://twitter.com/TheHoopCentral/status/1397070825828753410?s=20

Sure you did.

(05-26-2021, 01:17 AM)Hypermav Wrote: https://twitter.com/TheHoopCentral/status/1397070825828753410?s=20

Sure you did.

seeing that photoshop makes me sick

(05-26-2021, 01:36 AM)SleepingHero Wrote: seeing that photoshop makes me sick

At least it's a future, hypothetical kind of sick. Imagine seeing that article as a Clippers fan. lololololol

RE: AROUND the NBA: - Aussiebballer - 05-26-2021

Instead they tanked down to play him in the 1st rd after he torched them in last year’s playoffs

RE: AROUND the NBA: - meistermatze - 05-26-2021

(05-26-2021, 12:53 AM)SleepingHero Wrote: Tatum is the ideal running mate next to Luka. I mean c'mon. He's averaging close to 27 a game. He's a 2 way player. He just turned 23. 

That 2 man combination would be so lethal that I don't know how teams could try and defend that. It'd be comical.

Absolutely agreed. Tatum is awesome in his own regard and whilst not on the level of Luka, on paper, he'd be his perfect Robin.

RE: AROUND the NBA: - khaled1987 - 05-26-2021

(05-26-2021, 12:33 AM)SleepingHero Wrote: He's led BOS to the ECF 3 out of the last 4 years before 25.
I don't know how we can say that when BOS has been on the door-step to the finals since 2017 with Tatum at the helm. 3 out of the last 4 ECF featured BOS.

For 23 years old, Tatum is as good as it gets tbh. Unless you compare him to the likes of Luka/Lebron/MJ which ain't fair as those were players dominant at very young age. 

That being said, as most young players the jury is still out on him, if he is the real deal or just another Paul George. 

First, this is Tatum's 4th season, he had 3 season before that one. So no, he didn't lead them to 3 ECF over the last 4, they were already in ECF before they have drafted him, which puts thing on different context. 

He won 5 playoff series before. 
2018 against Bucks coached by Joe Prunty, and Sixers who basically was lead by young players and rookies too.  
2019 against Indiana with no Oladipo
2020 against dismantled Sixers, and against a starless Raptors. 

Still very impressive for a player of his age, but I am also remembering PG leading Pacers to 2 consecutive ECF again, and at the age of 30, you can't say he fulfilled his perceived potential back then. 

I would obviously welcome him with an open arms if there is ever a chance to get him.