MavsBoard
2020-2021 AROUND the NBA: Archived - Printable Version

+- MavsBoard (https://www.mavsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Boards (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Dallas Mavericks and the NBA (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: 2020-2021 AROUND the NBA: Archived (/showthread.php?tid=622)

RE: AROUND the NBA: - ClutchDirk - 05-10-2021

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2942995-knicks-rumors-kyle-lowry-lonzo-ball-dennis-schroder-will-be-among-fa-targets

RE: AROUND the NBA: - jesusshuttlesworth82 - 05-10-2021

(05-10-2021, 03:22 PM)HanspardsShowerVoice Wrote: Yeah, I don't see any way the Celtics would do that.  Jaylen Brown has emerged as one of the Top 5 two way wings in the NBA, and KP is now damaged goods on a max salary.   The only way I see the Mavs getting out of the KP deal is if they take an equally bad contract, or just bribe a team to take him with 1st round picks the way that Philly did with Horford.  I'm pretty sure the Mavs will just run it back with KP for another year because they're not going to want to do either (unless they think his knee is a Chandler Parsons microfracture timebomb waiting to explode).

I thought I was the low man on KP's trade value...

RE: AROUND the NBA: - jesusshuttlesworth82 - 05-10-2021

Jaylen Brown out for the year with wrist injury.

RE: AROUND the NBA: - ItsGoTime - 05-10-2021

(05-10-2021, 05:33 PM)jesusshuttlesworth82 Wrote: Jaylen Brown out for the year with wrist injury.
Injury risk, nobody wants him.

RE: AROUND the NBA: - khaled1987 - 05-10-2021

Russell Westbrook just broke the triple double record.

RE: AROUND the NBA: - dynamicalVoid - 05-10-2021

(05-10-2021, 08:50 PM)khaled1987 Wrote: Russell Westbrook just broke the triple double record.

Im watching post-game on NBA TV about Westbrooks historic night...

Nothing against Isiah Thomas...but he is defending Westbrook and his reputation around the league as being a non-winning bball player(at lease thats how I took it)....he is saying that its all coaches and teams faults that they cant succeed with him.   His stance is that Russ is a superstar...he brings the athleticism and intensity every single game...and that its on the coaches to bring the ingredients to win the game.   

Pretty hot take.

Wow...they just interviewed Scott Brooks post-game...

Very very weird response to questions about Westbrook.  

Short and not articulate about Westbrook at all.

Im not a man of words myself...but I could at least elongate my response to make Westbrook feel more appreciated.  Weird.

RE: AROUND the NBA: - Kammrath - 05-10-2021

https://twitter.com/TheNBACentral/status/1391934732699684871

(05-10-2021, 09:14 PM)Kammrath Wrote: https://twitter.com/TheNBACentral/status/1391934732699684871

I guess this is proof that small sample size eye test evaluation on players isnt very good.

Why?  Because I figured Sabonis was fools gold even though making the All-Star game gave me pause about publicly questioning his abilities.  Every time I have seen him he seems not so All-Staree.   I have seen him in a game look very Powell like around the rim...as in layups that dont touch the backboard and fly over the backboard.

These stats seem to suggest otherwise.  Im sure he is skilled if he made the ASG...but I thought he was questionable shooting wise.

Im always giving John Collins crap because he never jumps off the screen when I watch him.  Same with Davis Bertans...he always chucks and misses when I see him.

(05-10-2021, 09:01 PM)dynamicalVoid Wrote: Im watching post-game on NBA TV about Westbrooks historic night...

Nothing against Isiah Thomas...but he is defending Westbrook and his reputation around the league as being a non-winning bball player(at lease thats how I took it)....he is saying that its all coaches and teams faults that they cant succeed with him.   His stance is that Russ is a superstar...he brings the athleticism and intensity every single game...and that its on the coaches to bring the ingredients to win the game.   

Pretty hot take.

Well, for me there is no argument that Russ is a winning player tbh. Always felt the claim that he is anything otherwise is weird tbh.
For me winning player is someone you simply are winning more than you are losing with him, and Russ is pretty much that. Never understood the claim for championship or bust that people had obsession with. I remember back in the day when Dirk was same age and people were claiming the same thing.

Guy made NBA finals as 2nd best player when he was just 23, was again the 2nd best player in the team that get to game 7 with 73 win teams.
He got blamed for the failings of the teams, while you can put same blame for KD and management being cheap.

As for the coaching argument, he was never been coached by someone who will make it as HOF, except maybe last season under MDA, which was weird season in general, and for the Rockets especially. Seemed everyone wasn't on same page from owner, to GM & Coach who wanted out, same with Harden etc. 
Lebron had Spoelstra, Dirk had RC, Kobe had Phil, Shaq had Phil & Pat, KD and Curry had Kerr.

(05-10-2021, 09:37 PM)khaled1987 Wrote: Well, for me there is no argument that Russ is a winning player tbh. Always felt the claim that he is anything otherwise is weird tbh.
For me winning player is someone you simply are winning more than you are losing with him, and Russ is pretty much that. Never understood the claim for championship or bust that people had obsession with. I remember back in the day when Dirk was same age and people were claiming the same thing.

Guy made NBA finals as 2nd best player when he was just 23, was again the 2nd best player in the team that get to game 7 with 73 win teams.
He got blamed for the failings of the teams, while you can put same blame for KD and management being cheap.

As for the coaching argument, he was never been coached by someone who will make it as HOF, except maybe last season under MDA, which was weird season in general, and for the Rockets especially. Seemed everyone wasn't on same page from owner, to GM & Coach who wanted out, same with Harden etc. 
Lebron had Spoelstra, Dirk had RC, Kobe had Phil, Shaq had Phil & Pat, KD and Curry had Kerr.

I was always a fan of his effort.  He seems willing to pass most the game...his Triple Doubles suggest he will pass too.

I guess I would question is the reason people claiming he is garbage because he does not regularly make the best basketball play?  When I watch I notice two things with him...he still shoots the mid-range a lot and I dont believe he is Durant, Paul, Leonard or even Doncic level of converting those...and he will take last shot in close games when I watch.  He is too streaky to be shooting mid-range when 3 is a better shot or late game.

His athletic ability is top-shelf...his effort for rebounds is top-shelf...his fearlessness going to the rim is top-shelf.  Is it the coaches job to turn that into winning basketball?  Or is it Russ decision making?

RE: AROUND the NBA: - Jason Terry - 05-10-2021

(05-10-2021, 09:14 PM)Kammrath Wrote: https://twitter.com/TheNBACentral/status/1391934732699684871
Sabonis has to be the guy the Pacers build around. He doesn’t shoot much from 3 compared to Jokic. Most of his work comes from inside the line. Turner is a questionable fit with him. Might be better for them to move Sabonis to C permanently and trade Turner. Keep Lavert and Brogdon and build around those 3. 

GSW: KP

DAL: Turner and Graham 

IND: Wiggins, MIN 1st, Terry, DAL 2nd, McDaniels 

CHA: Wiseman

RE: AROUND the NBA: - KillerLeft - 05-10-2021

(05-10-2021, 03:22 PM)HanspardsShowerVoice Wrote: Yeah, I don't see any way the Celtics would do that.  Jaylen Brown has emerged as one of the Top 5 two way wings in the NBA, and KP is now damaged goods on a max salary.   The only way I see the Mavs getting out of the KP deal is if they take an equally bad contract, or just bribe a team to take him with 1st round picks the way that Philly did with Horford.  I'm pretty sure the Mavs will just run it back with KP for another year because they're not going to want to do either (unless they think his knee is a Chandler Parsons microfracture timebomb waiting to explode).

You're catching heat for this take, but I want you to know that you're not the only one who sees the situation clearly. Maybe KP wows us all in the playoffs, but barring that, he has left an extremely "not worth his contract" taste in the mouths of most people, I'd bet.

(05-10-2021, 09:57 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: You're catching heat for this take, but I want you to know that you're not the only one who sees the situation clearly. Maybe KP wows us all in the playoffs, but barring that, he has left an extremely "not worth his contract" taste in the mouths of most people, I'd bet.

I will say he is one great playoff run away from having enticing value for other teams, and one more injury away from being the worst contract in the league.

Atm his value is low but I doubt it is that awful,  the Kemba for him seems right, though I think we should extract a top 20 protected 1st from them.

(05-10-2021, 10:02 PM)khaled1987 Wrote: the Kemba for him seems right, though

Yes, if KP balls out in the playoffs it's game on, and in a number of different ways. 

If the off season was starting right now,  at this moment, I think that not only would a Kemba/KP swap be about right, it would improve the Mavericks. That's tough to swallow, but I'd do it, personally. Walker can play PNR basketball - one of the best at that, when he's right. It would take a ton of the load off of Luka, imo. Not a home run of a deal, but at least a gap double.

RE: AROUND the NBA: - HoosierDaddyKid - 05-10-2021

(05-10-2021, 05:33 PM)jesusshuttlesworth82 Wrote: Jaylen Brown out for the year with wrist injury.

No way Boston avoids the play-in now.  That's a big hit for them.

RE: AROUND the NBA: - ItsGoTime - 05-10-2021

(05-10-2021, 10:02 PM)khaled1987 Wrote: Atm his value is low but I doubt it is that awful,  the Kemba for him seems right, though I think we should extract a top 20 protected 1st from them.
KP for Kemba is close to the worst value you can get for him. Right now he is worth more than Kemba. He's 31 yo and showing the signs that Kamm was saying he would at 23k minutes played. That vs a 25 yo who has played 2 less games than him this season and has looked better the longer he has played this season. It's not really close at all and in no way what the FO would trade him for, they would be right to keep him if that is the best he could get in return, which it isn't.

RE: AROUND the NBA: - Scott41theMavs - 05-10-2021

(05-10-2021, 10:39 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote: KP for Kemba is close to the worst value you can get for him. Right now he is worth more than Kemba. He's 31 yo and showing the signs that Kamm was saying he would at 23k minutes played. That vs a 25 yo who has played 2 less games than him this season and has looked better the longer he has played this season. It's not really close at all and in no way what the FO would trade him for, they would be right to keep him if that is the best he could get in return, which it isn't.

Glad I'm not the only one thinking this way. Kemba is Boston's third offensive option and struggling in that role.

(05-10-2021, 10:39 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote: and has looked better the longer he has played this season.

[Image: 200.gif]

(05-10-2021, 10:40 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: Kemba is Boston's third offensive option and struggling in that role.

Struggling? Yes, maybe. Struggling worse than Porzingis has this season? I say no. KP has made the team WORSE when he has been healthy this season. The team is BETTER right now, specifically BECAUSE he's NOT playing. 

I would take Walker back, but if that's not consensus, we need to understand that a GOOD, wart-free max level player isn't coming back. It's either continue to underachieve with KP, take someone like Walker (if you're lucky) or dump KP for savings, just like NY did. The move was a failure. Good thought, and I would've jumped on it. I don't blame the MBT a bit, but OMG continuing down this road seems insane to me.