MavsBoard
2020-2021 AROUND the NBA: Archived - Printable Version

+- MavsBoard (https://www.mavsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Boards (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Dallas Mavericks and the NBA (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: 2020-2021 AROUND the NBA: Archived (/showthread.php?tid=622)

RE: AROUND the NBA: Jamal Murray has torn ACL in left knee - omahen - 04-26-2021

This is what Lowry brings. Oh, and looks like Mavs can recognize talent. Only fail to play it Smile 

https://twitter.com/Raptors/status/1385582019535642631?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1385582019535642631%7Ctwgr%5E%7Ctwcon%5Es1_&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Ftheathletic.com%2F2539214%2F2021%2F04%2F26%2Fis-freddie-gillespie-the-best-10-day-signing-in-raptors-history-we-rank-to-find-out%2F

https://theathletic.com/2539214/2021/04/26/is-freddie-gillespie-the-best-10-day-signing-in-raptors-history-we-rank-to-find-out/

RE: AROUND the NBA: Jamal Murray has torn ACL in left knee - SleepingHero - 04-26-2021

(04-26-2021, 07:05 AM)Kammrath Wrote: They should finish 9th or 10th in the West and frankly are lucky to not be 11th.

Watch Portland finish 6th now.

RE: AROUND the NBA: Jamal Murray has torn ACL in left knee - Kammrath - 04-26-2021

(04-26-2021, 12:18 PM)omahen Wrote: Oh, and looks like Mavs can recognize talent. Only fail to play it

I really think there are some "chemistry" issues between Donnie/scouts and RC/coaches. It seems that the talent that Donnie often identifies is legit but doesn't fit with the kind of talent that RC likes. I truly think this disconnect has been a pretty significant issue for the Mavs of the last decade.

RE: AROUND the NBA: Jamal Murray has torn ACL in left knee - michaeltex - 04-26-2021

Anyone know of a player RC has advocated that Donnie didn't try to acquire? Or the opposite, one Donnie brought in that RC hated?

Whose idea was Odom? Rondo? Last year's draft picks (that can't see the court, even in blow outs)?

RE: AROUND the NBA: Jamal Murray has torn ACL in left knee - BasketballJones41 - 04-26-2021

(04-26-2021, 01:01 PM)michaeltex Wrote: Anyone know of a player RC has advocated that Donnie didn't try to acquire? Or the opposite, one Donnie brought in that RC hated?

Whose idea was Odom? Rondo? Last year's draft picks (that can't see the court, even in blow outs)?
Just a guess but I’m willing to bet that Odom and rondo were all on Cuban.

RE: AROUND the NBA: Jamal Murray has torn ACL in left knee - dirkfansince1998 - 04-26-2021

(04-26-2021, 12:49 PM)Kammrath Wrote: I really think there are some "chemistry" issues between Donnie/scouts and RC/coaches. It seems that the talent that Donnie often identifies is legit but doesn't fit with the kind of talent that RC likes. I truly think this disconnect has been a pretty significant issue for the Mavs of the last decade.

Just really difficult to differentiate between the responsibilities. We tend to just mention the MBT and coaches, scouts and the GM should obviously all be involved in roster decisions. Not to mention that in the Mavs case the owner is making calls as well. Would be really nice to get some information on the inner procedures of the Mavs front office.

I think you identified one of the biggest problems of the Donnie/Mark/RC era. Guards without 3-point range or with limited ballhandling abilty and slow-footed bigmen without shooting range or rim running ability. Highlighted by the Rondo trade that turned the at that point best offense in league history in a mediocre one.
This season had more of the same. Johnson had no role in RCs offense. Iwundu was unplayable on offense. Even KP struggles to find a role in the Mavs flow offense. He wants set plays and post ups. That´s never going to happen.

I just don´t get why it is so difficult to find the fitting pieces. We all know what RC needs to work his magic. Multiple ballhandlers, good spacing and pick&roll players on offense. Versatile defenders that can switch and rotate on defense.

RE: AROUND the NBA: Jamal Murray has torn ACL in left knee - Hypermav - 04-26-2021

I hope the Clippers end up with the best record, they probably will catch the Suns anyway.  Would rather play someone else in the first round.

RE: AROUND the NBA: Jamal Murray has torn ACL in left knee - ClutchDirk - 04-26-2021

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2941306-nba-rumors-postseason-play-in-tournament-expected-to-be-made-permanent

RE: AROUND the NBA: Jamal Murray has torn ACL in left knee - Hypermav - 04-26-2021

https://twitter.com/lakerfilmroom?lang=fr

Scroll down through plays from the last game.  Makes me appreciate Luka's passing.

RE: AROUND the NBA: Jamal Murray has torn ACL in left knee - StepBackJay - 04-26-2021

(04-26-2021, 02:03 PM)ClutchDirk Wrote: https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2941306-nba-rumors-postseason-play-in-tournament-expected-to-be-made-permanent

Let's face it this is the best anti-tanking measure ever thought of by the NBA (not sure that was the intention?). It's made post All-star break games good again. This year is rough with Covid and a compressed schedule but if we get back to an 82 game schedule that should help with injuries and all this player rest we are seeing this year. All-in-all it's a win for the NBA bc it makes playoff teams care about seeding so that they won't coast, and it keeps lower rung teams shoot for the playoffs. This combined with the new lottery format has essentially killed tanking once and for all.

RE: AROUND the NBA: Jamal Murray has torn ACL in left knee - DrMav - 04-26-2021

I don’t like the play-in as presently constructed, but I’m not opposed to it in some capacity. 

In the last “normal” season of 2018-2019, the Kings finished 9th and Lakers finished 10th, and were 9 and 11 games respectively out of the 8th seed.

It’s not usually that extreme at all, but there must be some sort of protective measures so that teams that clearly don’t deserve in don’t luck their way in through a one game showdown. 

Maybe something like if you finish within 1-2 games of 8 seed it’s a one game play-in, 3-5 games then the at-large team needs to take 2 compared to just 1 for the seeded team, and 6+ games out you don’t even get a chance.

Not advocating that be the end solution, just spitballing about how I think we could make tweaks that add some excitement without punishing teams that fall 7-8 too harshly.

RE: AROUND the NBA: Jamal Murray has torn ACL in left knee - cow - 04-26-2021

My ideal for the play-in would be:

9th v 10th seed (1 Game) -> Winner plays the 8th seed in a 3 game series, 8th seed only needs 1 win to advance.  

That gives the 9th and 10th seed a chance to make the playoffs, albeit difficult.  It also give the 8th seed an advantage for being in the top 8.

RE: AROUND the NBA: Jamal Murray has torn ACL in left knee - HanspardsShowerVoice - 04-26-2021

If the first round of the playoffs has sloppy garbage basketball because the 5-8 teams ran their players ragged the final month of the season trying to avoid the 7th seed, or if we see a slew of injuries by playoff teams in the final few weeks because teams couldn't rest their players, all the other benefits of the play-in have been nullified.

RE: AROUND the NBA: Jamal Murray has torn ACL in left knee - Kammrath - 04-26-2021

RE: Play-In Tournament

I think it was a genius decision from the NBA on so many levels. 

One of its best and unheralded dynamics is that it makes the 7th and 8th seeds more fluid, which means that if there is a dominant number one seed that everyone wants to avoid (which happens in many years), you still have that chance by winning the 7th seed in the play-in tournament. 

I think having this tournament can suck for the incumbent 7th seed, but that is only one team it sucks for when it is really good for almost everyone else.

RE: AROUND the NBA: Jamal Murray has torn ACL in left knee - KillerLeft - 04-26-2021

(04-26-2021, 04:12 PM)Kammrath Wrote: RE: Play-In Tournament

I think it was a genius decision from the NBA on so many levels. 

One of its best and unheralded dynamics is that it makes the 7th and 8th seeds more fluid, which means that if there is a dominant number one seed that everyone wants to avoid (which happens in many years), you still have that chance by winning the 7th seed in the play-in tournament. 

I think having this tournament can suck for the incumbent 7th seed, but that is only one team it sucks for when it is really good for almost everyone else.

Ultimately, if it reduces tanking (and it sort of has, this year) then it's probably a decent change.

RE: AROUND the NBA: Jamal Murray has torn ACL in left knee - MFFL - 04-26-2021

(04-26-2021, 01:11 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: We all know what RC needs to work his magic. 

A good magician can do a trick more than once a decade

RE: AROUND the NBA: Jamal Murray has torn ACL in left knee - dirkfansince1998 - 04-26-2021

(04-26-2021, 04:19 PM)MFFL Wrote: A good magician can do a trick more than once a decade

I would argue that some of RC most impressive coaching jobs happened after the championship run. The Mavs lost the 13/14 series against the Spurs but no other team came as close to beating them as the Mavs. Cannot remember another series where Pop was outcoached as badly.

RE: AROUND the NBA: Jamal Murray has torn ACL in left knee - LukTheShadow - 04-26-2021

https://twitter.com/Baxter/status/1386732485392748545?s=20

RE: AROUND the NBA: Jamal Murray has torn ACL in left knee - embellisher - 04-26-2021

(04-26-2021, 07:49 AM)HoosierDaddyKid Wrote: Memphis is going to be a problem. Young, athletic and Taylor Jenkins can coach.

Be nice if they get an upset in the first round!

RE: AROUND the NBA: Jamal Murray has torn ACL in left knee - Aussiebballer - 04-26-2021

That isn’t that crazy of an idea.
They have been playing well without JJJ, so it will be interesting to see how they play with him the last 10 games before the playoffs.
Be nice if the best the Clippers in the first round.