MavsBoard
2020-2021 AROUND the NBA: Archived - Printable Version

+- MavsBoard (https://www.mavsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Boards (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Dallas Mavericks and the NBA (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: 2020-2021 AROUND the NBA: Archived (/showthread.php?tid=622)

RE: AROUND the NBA: Jamal Murray has torn ACL in left knee - Mapka - 04-23-2021

(04-22-2021, 10:59 AM)HanspardsShowerVoice Wrote: Ehh .. it's not like he was a complete bust there.  They signed him to an extension.  He was just hurt a lot, the Heat promised Butler they would go all out for a Championship and they had a chance to get two proven playoff rotation contributors in Crowder and Iggy for a guy who was having on and off back issues.   Like I said, he's got to get healthy and stay healthy.  Otherwise there is no chance, regardless of the talent. 

Mavs and the Heat are a lot alike ... neither one would offer Crowder an extra year because they wanted to go big game hunting in free agency in 21-22, and now he's been one of the biggest steals of free agency and current a Top 10 power forward in Real Plus Minus (currently sandwhiched right between John Collins and Zion).   I wouldn't say either front office is foolproof.

I would have loved to have Crowder back, couldn't believe he ended on the Suns.
They both tought there was some real chance on Giannis.

I know, it's always a business decision, but the heat would have never given Bam away - no matter if his back was soso at that moment.

I wouldn't mind some of their roleplayers - I just don't want bet on potential they couldn't find.

And I don't want Winslow Smile

RE: AROUND the NBA: Jamal Murray has torn ACL in left knee - Mavs2021 - 04-23-2021

(04-23-2021, 02:32 PM)HanspardsShowerVoice Wrote: On this train of thought again, I overlooked who might be the obvious answer ... Malik Monk, who has suddenly resembled the same kind of shooter we remember from Kentucky and is now currently 42+% at 3P%.   Wonder what kind of offer he is going to get as an unrestricted free agent.   He's a bit of a one hit wonder work in progess, but he's still just turned 23 years old a couple of months ago.     

The Ringer had a good write up on Monk recenty, and go into the deeper issue of how teams handle player development.  Especially for 19 year old kids who come in the after a 1 and done year in college and need a ton of patience and support on and off the court, and how teams with playoff and title aspirations have hard time finding the minutes to let them take their lumps.  And it's even worse for young kids today who live on social media where the criticism and pressure is in their face everyday.  

The question of how to properly develop a player is tricky. Every team has their own approach for getting guys up to speed, as well as their own timeline. Oklahoma City, for example, is letting its young, inexperienced roster play through mistakes as part of a rebuild, while the Warriors have struggled with how to incorporate no. 2 pick James Wiseman as they’ve tried to compete. (Wiseman is now out for the rest of the season with a meniscus injury.) Then there’s the fact that no two players grow and learn the exact same way.

“I had a head coach on a different team telling me that for a top-10 pick, the best thing they could have done was put them in the G league,” the scout said, referencing the fact that some young picks don’t get enough in-game experience early in their NBA careers. “But there was too much pressure. He was a top-10 pick in the draft, so it’s also about how the player handles it. … I think the best teams know how to make the G League a vehicle for development.”

https://www.theringer.com/nba/2021/4/20/22392444/malik-monk-charlotte-hornets-player-development-nba

I doubt the Mavs will touch Monk after what happened with Odom.

Suspended June 8th 2020 for cocaine, probably entered rehab in the extended off-season and is now clean. Seems a pretty straight forward explanation that has little to do with developing his basketball skills. Just getting his nose clean and his head straight.

I was a huge fan of him before the draft. While it is far from an exact science and we get it wrong a lot, his initial failure shocked me. 

Hopefully he can stay on the right path.

RE: AROUND the NBA: Jamal Murray has torn ACL in left knee - Kammrath - 04-23-2021

https://twitter.com/TheSteinLine/status/1385712401169801217

RE: AROUND the NBA: Jamal Murray has torn ACL in left knee - Hypermav - 04-23-2021

Mempis for the win tonight!

[Image: Ai63aBICAAE-CRH.jpg:large]

RE: AROUND the NBA: Jamal Murray has torn ACL in left knee - BolsDamols - 04-23-2021

Memphis vs Portland, someone has to lose!

https://media.giphy.com/media/S3Ot3hZ5bcy8o/giphy.gif

RE: AROUND the NBA: Jamal Murray has torn ACL in left knee - Hypermav - 04-23-2021

#6 Dallas Mavericks Smile

Blazers three little guards not really working for them on defense.

RE: AROUND the NBA: Jamal Murray has torn ACL in left knee - Mavs2021 - 04-24-2021

Watching the Knicks operate, I´m thinking that we got more size now, but we are still not athletic. It would be nice and probably help a lot to have some freak athletes on this team, especially somebody with speed. That block from hot dog boy. Blush

Also Garden chanting Julius Randle during the post-game interview.  Cry

Also Derrick Rose is still damn good.

RE: AROUND the NBA: Jamal Murray has torn ACL in left knee - omahen - 04-24-2021

NO has the game against SA that could end their season tonight. If NO loses, they will be 4,5 games behind 10th spot. Unrealistic to catch up. If they win, they are 2,5 behind, a distance they could still hope to catch. Mavs still have a game against NO. 

NO will really need to do some soul searching. Despite all the hype, progress Zion made and him being healthy basically whole season they actually regressed from last season. Their "stars" Ingram, Zion and Ball are puting nice numbers which don't materialize in team success. So much hype aroud them yet they are not even close to top 10 in the league.

RE: AROUND the NBA: Jamal Murray has torn ACL in left knee - StepBackJay - 04-24-2021

(04-24-2021, 03:37 PM)omahen Wrote: NO will really need to do some soul searching. Despite all the hype, progress Zion made and him being healthy basically whole season they actually regressed from last season. Their "stars" Ingram, Zion and Ball are puting nice numbers which don't materialize in team success. So much hype aroud them yet they are not even close to top 10 in the league.

It is curious for sure. They wasted money on Steven Adams for no good reason. Having him clogging the lane doesn't make sense. They have a bunch of picks from the Jrue and AD trades.

In my view, it's easy to see them become a playoff team by replacing Adams and Bledsoe in the starting lineup. Both of those guys could be dumped. If they can upgrade those two spots and keep Lonzo then it seems easy enough to be at least a bottom rung playoff team.

RE: AROUND the NBA: Jamal Murray has torn ACL in left knee - omahen - 04-24-2021

I guess top 10 teams in the West are more or less set now after Pelicans lost to SA and fell 4 games behind number 10. I think it should be fair those teams on places 11-15 start the all out tankathon now Smile Mavs play many of them in the remaining games

RE: AROUND the NBA: Jamal Murray has torn ACL in left knee - ClutchDirk - 04-25-2021

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2941093-nuggets-will-barton-out-for-foreseeable-future-because-of-hamstring-injury

RE: AROUND the NBA: Jamal Murray has torn ACL in left knee - Paul Gasol - 04-25-2021

(04-25-2021, 09:15 AM)ClutchDirk Wrote: https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2941093-nuggets-will-barton-out-for-foreseeable-future-because-of-hamstring-injury
Now is the time to go all-out for that sweet, sweet 5th seed...

RE: AROUND the NBA: Jamal Murray has torn ACL in left knee - Jason Terry - 04-25-2021

(04-25-2021, 09:37 AM)Paul Gasol Wrote: Now is the time to go all-out for that sweet, sweet 5th seed...
The schedule is favorable for us. A hot streak could really make some of these other teams uncomfortable. 3 vs 6, LAC vs LAL would be a nightmare result for the league. Puts pressure on LAC to try to pass PHX. Also makes LAL have to play for real and not coast to the 5th seed

We can beat Denver. And Utah 2nd round would be favorable too. Both LA teams, PHX and Portland/GSW all on one side of the bracket would be a bloodbath

RE: AROUND the NBA: Jamal Murray has torn ACL in left knee - Kammrath - 04-25-2021

https://twitter.com/NickVanExit/status/1386501582049660929

RE: AROUND the NBA: Jamal Murray has torn ACL in left knee - jesusshuttlesworth82 - 04-25-2021

Bogdan Bogdanovic is averaging 21.5ppg in April 

WTF

RE: AROUND the NBA: Jamal Murray has torn ACL in left knee - Tyler - 04-26-2021

In all seriousness, what happened to Portland?

RE: AROUND the NBA: Jamal Murray has torn ACL in left knee - Mavs2021 - 04-26-2021

(04-25-2021, 11:53 PM)jesusshuttlesworth82 Wrote: Bogdan Bogdanovic is averaging 21.5ppg in April 

WTF

I remember the good old days, when I made daily threads about acquiring his draft rights from Phoenix. Cry

(04-26-2021, 12:10 AM)Tyler Wrote: In all seriousness, what happened to Portland?

Injuries, but now they are back at full strength more or less. That Memphis team might be a problem. They have done what the Mavs failed to do: developed all their rookies. Now they get JJJ/Winslow back and might go up another level.

RE: AROUND the NBA: Jamal Murray has torn ACL in left knee - dirkfansince1998 - 04-26-2021

(04-26-2021, 12:10 AM)Tyler Wrote: In all seriousness, what happened to Portland?

Regression towards the mean. Only team in the playoff race with a negative net rating. They won a lot of close games because Lillard was all time great in clutch minutes. Also had one of the easiest schedules.

RE: AROUND the NBA: Jamal Murray has torn ACL in left knee - Kammrath - 04-26-2021

(04-26-2021, 01:29 AM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: Regression towards the mean. Only team in the playoff race with a negative net rating. They won a lot of close games because Lillard was all time great in clutch minutes. Also had one of the easiest schedules.

So much this. 

The reality of numbers and stats is catching up to them. You cannot run forever, but boy they sure tried.

They should finish 9th or 10th in the West and frankly are lucky to not be 11th.

RE: AROUND the NBA: Jamal Murray has torn ACL in left knee - HoosierDaddyKid - 04-26-2021

(04-26-2021, 01:14 AM)Mavs2021 Wrote: I remember the good old days, when I made daily threads about acquiring his draft rights from Phoenix. Cry

Injuries, but now they are back at full strength more or less. That Memphis team might be a problem. They have done what the Mavs failed to do: developed all their rookies. Now they get JJJ/Winslow back and might go up another level.

Memphis is going to be a problem. Young, athletic and Taylor Jenkins can coach.