MavsBoard
2020-2021 AROUND the NBA: Archived - Printable Version

+- MavsBoard (https://www.mavsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Boards (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Dallas Mavericks and the NBA (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: 2020-2021 AROUND the NBA: Archived (/showthread.php?tid=622)

RE: AROUND the NBA: Jamal Murray has torn ACL in left knee - SwisherPrice - 04-19-2021

Might as well guarantee the Warriors a playoff spot...no one is going to stop Steph, especially if it's against us. Definitely not a DFS or JRich or Kleber...no matter how much RC trusts them  Confused

RE: AROUND the NBA: Jamal Murray has torn ACL in left knee - Kammrath - 04-19-2021

https://twitter.com/APOOCH/status/1384369715913576448

RE: AROUND the NBA: Jamal Murray has torn ACL in left knee - Chicagojk - 04-20-2021

Wow...what happened in the Denver-Memphis game last night?  I was following it online and Memphis kept a 5-10 point lead for most of the night.  I stopped following when it looked like the game was over, but it looks like it was a thriller with Denver winning in double overtime.  

Memphis is playing real well though and Dallas has their work cut out of them to stay ahead of a hot Memphis team.   Although, Dallas and Memphis both play better on the road....so maybe they want the 8th seed.

I didn't watch the game, but it is games like lasts night that make Aaron Gordon so confusing.  He flashes at times.  While he may not be best or second best player on a contender, there is hope he can be your fourth best player.  Although last night he plays 22 minutes, goes 1-7 and scores 2 points.   Denver scored 139.  

Saddiq Bey is getting a lot of press as a rookie playing really well for Detroit.  And he is.  But Isaiah Stewart has been putting up monster stats recently.  18-16 last night,   19-12 before that and 15-21 the game before that.   Detroit played last night, but Stewart must be licking his chops going up against our finesse players tonight.  Detroit also has Killian Hayes back.   With injuries and a rough start, this has been a difficult year for them, but with him being back Detroit will be able to have a good look at him.  If Detroit can land a top 4 pick this year, they may have the start of something pretty nice moving forward.

RE: AROUND the NBA: Jamal Murray has torn ACL in left knee - dynamicalVoid - 04-20-2021

(04-20-2021, 08:33 AM)Chicagojk Wrote: Wow...what happened in the Denver-Memphis game last night?  I was following it online and Memphis kept a 5-10 point lead for most of the night.  I stopped following when it looked like the game was over, but it looks like it was a thriller with Denver winning in double overtime.  

Memphis is playing real well though and Dallas has their work cut out of them to stay ahead of a hot Memphis team.   Although, Dallas and Memphis both play better on the road....so maybe they want the 8th seed.

I didn't watch the game, but it is games like lasts night that make Aaron Gordon so confusing.  He flashes at times.  While he may not be best or second best player on a contender, there is hope he can be your fourth best player.  Although last night he plays 22 minutes, goes 1-7 and scores 2 points.   Denver scored 139.  

Saddiq Bey is getting a lot of press as a rookie playing really well for Detroit.  And he is.  But Isaiah Stewart has been putting up monster stats recently.  18-16 last night,   19-12 before that and 15-21 the game before that.   Detroit played last night, but Stewart must be licking his chops going up against our finesse players tonight.  Detroit also has Killian Hayes back.   With injuries and a rough start, this has been a difficult year for them, but with him being back Detroit will be able to have a good look at him.  If Detroit can land a top 4 pick this year, they may have the start of something pretty nice moving forward.

I was all about Aaron Gordon due to his size and athleticism...and the few times I watched him he seemed to play Point Forward for Orlando.  He seemed to have an alright handle but didnt hit shots consistently...but I was still intrigued because we seem to need a 4 and I preferred one that could dribble unlike Maxi...

I watch a lot of Denver games...Gordon is trash on offense but is really good on defense.   I would still want him for his defense...but he is not good on offense.   He is more skilled on offense than Maxi but cant shoot.   His handle is alright and he has some moves to get to the rim unlike our guys...but he inconsistent on offense.   Maybe if he was in a system where he was getting lobs left and right he would look better on offense...but his shooting is like JRich's...not an ugly shot and inconsistent like JRich...just inconsistent.

I dont think you can deny Gordon's defense...in a Playoff atmosphere his defense will cause problem for another team.  But if Mavs were ever interested in Gordon but were needing him offensively....they might have dodged a bullet.  Or...they knew who he was even though people were suggesting he was being asked to do too much in Orlando.  He has the ability to force good offensive players to work to score.

Trash on offense is probably too strong a word for Gordon...he can actually dribble and has moves to get to the basket...he just cant shoot consistently.  Maxi cant dribble and has no moves but can shoot.   Maxi is more trash offensively than Gordon but spaces the floor.

RE: AROUND the NBA: Jamal Murray has torn ACL in left knee - jesusshuttlesworth82 - 04-20-2021

(04-19-2021, 08:45 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: Remember when I proposed a KP for Griffin trade. I included S.Bey and I.Stewart. Both will be legit starters in the NBA for years to come. Picked 16th and 19th in the same draft class. That´s good talent evaluation.

S.Bey already established himself as a solid 3&D player.

Stewart is finally starting and in his last 3 games he dropped:
15pts/21reb/3ast 2blk
19pts/12reb/1ast 2blk
18pts/16reb 3blk/3stls

#FIREDONNIE

RE: AROUND the NBA: Jamal Murray has torn ACL in left knee - Mavs2021 - 04-20-2021

(04-19-2021, 08:45 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: Remember when I proposed a KP for Griffin trade. I included S.Bey and I.Stewart. Both will be legit starters in the NBA for years to come. Picked 16th and 19th in the same draft class. That´s good talent evaluation.

The Mavs problem is that they are not only bad talent evaluators. It´s that they are arrogant morons, too. You know what I would have done. Silently moved up three spots and picked Pokusevski. Why? Cause Sam Presti made him a promise six months ago. You know the guy who drafted Durant, Harden, Westbrook, Ibaka, Adams, Jackson, "Dort", Bazley.

RE: AROUND the NBA: Jamal Murray has torn ACL in left knee - Aussiebballer - 04-20-2021

James Harden is out for potentially the rest of the regular season with further issues with his hamstring injury.

Nets are going to be hard to judge come playoff time. Only had Durant, Irving and Harden available in 7 games.

RE: AROUND the NBA: Jamal Murray has torn ACL in left knee - StepBackJay - 04-20-2021

(04-20-2021, 06:36 PM)Aussiebballer Wrote: James Harden is out for potentially the rest of the regular season with further issues with his hamstring injury.

Nets are going to be hard to judge come playoff time. Only had Durant, Irving and Harden available in 7 games.

Turns out everybody is injury prone?

RE: AROUND the NBA: Jamal Murray has torn ACL in left knee - Aussiebballer - 04-20-2021

Maybe all the Nets keep falling off the edge of the earth?!?

RE: AROUND the NBA: Jamal Murray has torn ACL in left knee - dynamicalVoid - 04-20-2021

(04-20-2021, 06:36 PM)Aussiebballer Wrote: James Harden is out for potentially the rest of the regular season with further issues with his hamstring injury.

You can say that there are millions of dollars on the line and these clubs are trying to win a championship...so shut up, no one cares what you think...

But man...the whole "dont show what you can do until playoffs" by sitting guys all the time is annoying as a fan.  And Im not saying show everything.  Brooklyn just seems to be taking it to a different level.  

I get it...you have to save some things for the Playoffs.  Offensive coordinators dont show everything they have in regular season of football.   But damn...have Nets played one game with all their guys?  Its always someone sitting.  Its by design...not by coincidence.   Sure...Nets have no control over Covid protocol...but there is always someone down for them this year.  Proof will be if everyone just happens to be fine come playoffs.

They must be all in...pulling out all the tricks to win.

RE: AROUND the NBA: Jamal Murray has torn ACL in left knee - StepBackJay - 04-20-2021

Seems like Harden more like "Soft"-den

(04-20-2021, 07:03 PM)StepBackJay Wrote: Seems like Harden more like "Soft"-den

Thought he had the reputation as always wanting to play...not a "load management" player.

RE: AROUND the NBA: Jamal Murray has torn ACL in left knee - DanSchwartzgan - 04-21-2021

"If anyone had known Randle could transform himself from a career 29.5 percent shooter from 3-point range into a 40.5 percent shooter this season, and dared to say so, chances are such bold souls would not have been believed. Randle’s improvement from deep, after all, is the most significant midcareer increase in long-distance shooting proficiency in league history.

You can look it up: Randle is on pace to become the first N.B.A. player to enter a season with a 3-point success rate below 30 percent (on more than 500 attempts) and then shoot 40 percent or better on 3s (with a minimum of 150 attempts), according to research from the noted statistical expert Justin Kubatko."

https://messaging-custom-newsletters.nytimes.com/template/oakv2?campaign_id=48&emc=edit_msb_20210421&instance_id=29483&nl=marc-stein-on-basketball&productCode=MSB®i_id=111490376&segment_id=55987&te=1&uri=nyt%3A%2F%2Fnewsletter%2F6d026f60-09ce-535f-b3d9-26383c318606&user_id=2165524f4c24ba64d8065ca5c0694322

RE: AROUND the NBA: Jamal Murray has torn ACL in left knee - HanspardsShowerVoice - 04-21-2021

Feels like something is going to give this summer for Portland if it's another first round exit.  McCollum is 29 and Lillard is 30.  It's not going to happen.  They can't keep sticking with McCullum and Dame duo year after year with the same results while Phoenix, Utah and Denver pass them.      Could definitely see McCollum on the block.  Gotta think they willll want another immediate high level player back who can better complement Dame for a deep playoff run his final prime years over the protected draft picks spread out over 3-5 years and a few expensive role player pu pu platter    Also McCollum has a $29 million salary, so it's not going to be easy to match unless you're giving up high paid talent.

RE: AROUND the NBA: Jamal Murray has torn ACL in left knee - DanSchwartzgan - 04-21-2021

(04-21-2021, 07:32 AM)HanspardsShowerVoice Wrote: Feels like something is going to give this summer for Portland if it's another first round exit.  McCollum is 29 and Lillard is 30.  It's not going to happen.  They can't keep sticking with McCullum and Dame duo year after year with the same results while Phoenix, Utah and Denver pass them.      Could definitely see McCollum on the block.  Gotta think they willll want another immediate high level player back who can better complement Dame for a deep playoff run his final prime years over the protected draft picks spread out over 3-5 years and a few expensive role player pu pu platter    Also McCollum has a $29 million salary, so it's not going to be easy to match unless you're giving up high paid talent.

The thought of McCollum has crossed my mind (Schwartz), especially when Portland traded for a younger version of him in Powell.  But, if Dallas wanted that type of player next to Luka, why not just sign Powell with cap space instead of giving up assets for McCollum?

The only reason I could see is Dallas wants to move on from KP and has other bigs on their radar with their cap space.  In much the same way that Portland would be using their excess at SG to get a big, Dallas would be using their big to fill a hole at SG.  At that point Collins begins to make sense (or maybe splitting the money between Holmes and Markkanen).  I have no idea what other elements would be involved in such a deal if it were anything other than straight up.  Both KP and McCollum are fringe all-star types (is McCollum now the best player to never make the all-star team?).  It would be nice to put a little more salary in the deal (something minor like Burke).  Obviously it would also be nice to get a 2023 pick.  But, I really have no idea which team would rightly claim that they are owed something extra.  KP has an injury history, but McC is older.

RE: AROUND the NBA: Jamal Murray has torn ACL in left knee - HAguiar95 - 04-21-2021

(04-21-2021, 08:09 AM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: The thought of McCollum has crossed my mind (Schwartz), especially when Portland traded for a younger version of him in Powell.  But, if Dallas wanted that type of player next to Luka, why not just sign Powell with cap space instead of giving up assets for McCollum?

The only reason I could see is Dallas wants to move on from KP and has other bigs on their radar with their cap space.  In much the same way that Portland would be using their excess at SG to get a big, Dallas would be using their big to fill a hole at SG.  At that point Collins begins to make sense (or maybe splitting the money between Holmes and Markkanen).  I have no idea what other elements would be involved in such a deal if it were anything other than straight up.  Both KP and McCollum are fringe all-star types (is McCollum now the best player to never make the all-star team?).  It would be nice to put a little more salary in the deal (something minor like Burke).  Obviously it would also be nice to get a 2023 pick.  But, I really have no idea which team would rightly claim that they are owed something extra.  KP has an injury history, but McC is older.

CJ + Nurk 

for 

KP + Maxi + Green + 1st

RE: AROUND the NBA: Jamal Murray has torn ACL in left knee - HanspardsShowerVoice - 04-21-2021

(04-21-2021, 08:09 AM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: The thought of McCollum has crossed my mind (Schwartz), especially when Portland traded for a younger version of him in Powell.  But, if Dallas wanted that type of player next to Luka, why not just sign Powell with cap space instead of giving up assets for McCollum?

Yeah, that's pretty much my thoughts.  I actually think KP and McCollum are a fairly paired match straight up when taking into account weaknesses, age and injury flags.   Dallas interests would be they don't think Luka and KP are going to work long term and would rather have a high level ball handler and elite shooter to pair with Luka and "make due" with a Holmes type as a big.    For Portland if looks like Zach Collins career is hanging in the balance, so if they think they can resign Powell then leveraging McCollum into a high level big might make sense.    I'm a big Nurkic fan as a player, but he is coming off his contract soon and I'm not sure how much money they want to sink into him given the serious injuries and limitations.

RE: AROUND the NBA: Jamal Murray has torn ACL in left knee - jesusshuttlesworth82 - 04-21-2021

Powell and McCollum are not similar players.  Powell cant dribble or pass.

I think you're right on about CJ being about what KP is worth.  Highly paid.  Not really a star.  Odd fit with current team.

RE: AROUND the NBA: Jamal Murray has torn ACL in left knee - cow - 04-21-2021

CJ is a star.  Smile

(04-21-2021, 12:57 PM)cow Wrote: CJ is a star.  Smile

His Real Plus Minus numbers would support this assertion .. he's the 3rd ranked shooting guard behind Paul George and James Harden.