MavsBoard
2020-2021 AROUND the NBA: Archived - Printable Version

+- MavsBoard (https://www.mavsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Boards (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Dallas Mavericks and the NBA (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: 2020-2021 AROUND the NBA: Archived (/showthread.php?tid=622)

RE: AROUND the NBA: Lebron out 4-6 weeks - dirkfansince1998 - 04-05-2021

https://twitter.com/BleacherReport/status/1378905097741103105

Another chubby white guy that cannot get a call.

Embiid 11.6 FTA
Jokic 4.8 FTA

Luka 7.2 FTA (trending down, less than 5 in march and april)

RE: AROUND the NBA: Lebron out 4-6 weeks - Kammrath - 04-05-2021

https://twitter.com/Rylan_Stiles/status/1379249935871135745

RE: AROUND the NBA: Lebron out 4-6 weeks - cow - 04-05-2021

(04-05-2021, 08:55 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: https://twitter.com/BleacherReport/status/1378905097741103105

Another chubby white guy that cannot get a call.

Embiid 11.6 FTA
Jokic 4.8 FTA

Luka 7.2 FTA (trending down, less than 5 in march and april)

If I were Rick/Cuban, I'd just ask Luka to stop talking to the refs and have the video crew cut a ref "highlight" reel for every game and send it to the league office.  Seems like the refs have tuned him out and are actively punishing him for so much complaining.

RE: AROUND the NBA: Lebron out 4-6 weeks - HanspardShowerVoice - 04-06-2021

Zach Lowe's podcast had on the ESPN beat reporter who covers the Warriors.   They went in depth on how Wiseman has been a huge disappointment for them.   They knew he was going to need some time and development, but he's actually regressed as the year has gone along to the point where they can't really even play him.     There is a pretty good likelihood that he won't even be a full time contributor by Year 3.    Sounds to me like they'll definitely try to package him and some picks for a proven player this offseason, because he's not going to be a contributor for them while Curry's window is still open. 

There was a lot of pushback earlier in the year that this wasn't as bad of a draft class as it was made out to be, but I dunno ... I think this draft class is pretty much as advertised.   LaMello was getting a lot of hype, but Charlotte was low key taking him out of games in clutch situations.    This will probably the weakest Rookie of the Year in recent memory.    Edwards will probably win it jacking up a ton of shots and getting accumulative numbers on an awful team.   I think Haliburton is the best player of the class, but hard to come up his highest ceiling comp .. maybe Jrue Holliday?

RE: AROUND the NBA: Lebron out 4-6 weeks - dynamicalVoid - 04-06-2021

(04-06-2021, 11:38 AM)HanspardShowerVoice Wrote: Zach Lowe's podcast had on the ESPN beat reporter who covers the Warriors.   Wiseman has been a huge disappointment for them.   They knew he was going to need some time and development, but he's actually regressed as the year has gone along to the point where they can't really even play him.     There is a pretty good likelihood that he won't even be a full time contributor by Year 3.    Sounds to me like they'll definitely try to package him and some picks for a proven player this offseason, because he's not going to be a contributor for them while Curry's window is still open. 

There was a lot of pushback earlier in the year that this wasn't as bad of a draft class as it was made out to be, but I dunno ... I think this draft class is pretty much as advertised.   LaMello was getting a lot of hype, but Charlotte was low key taking him out of games in clutch situations.    This will probably the weakest Rookie of the Year in recent memory.    Edwards will probably win it jacking up a ton of shots and getting accumulative numbers on an awful team.   I think Haliburton is the best player of the class, but hard to come up his highest ceiling comp .. maybe Jrue Holliday?

Because of his size and athleticism Wiseman will be good some day.   Its whether you want to pay him while he is learning.  Being the 2nd overall pick means there are expectations because of your high paycheck.

It might not be until he is 28 or 29 when the game slows down for him and it clicks...but his size and ability to move should keep him in the league if he is willing to put in some work.

I say the same thing about WCS and get laughed at.   I get it...WCS sucks for his size...but I think if he works a little and isnt super lazy...the game will come to him at some point and at that time he will be able to use his size to contribute.  He is already 25...interesting to see if he figures it out before its too late(age 30 maybe).  

What I am trying to say is that some people figure things out later than others.   Every team wants guys of WCS and Wiseman's length and mobility...its just how long until they figure it out...if they do.

(04-06-2021, 11:57 AM)dynamicalVoid Wrote: Because of his size and athleticism Wiseman will be good some day.   Its whether you want to pay him while he is learning.  Being the 2nd overall pick means there are expectations because of your high paycheck.

I dunno ... I feel like a lot of athletic big men simply hit the genetic lottery and really have no desire to be great basketball players or passion for the game.   Some of them develop it with maturity, and many others don't.   If you were born into enough size and athletic ability you can Andray Blatche or Kwame Brown yourself into a 9 or 10 year without having to put out much effort, as teams wait around for you to flip the switch.

RE: AROUND the NBA: Lebron out 4-6 weeks - Mavs2021 - 04-06-2021

(04-06-2021, 11:38 AM)HanspardShowerVoice Wrote: Zach Lowe's podcast had on the ESPN beat reporter who covers the Warriors.   They went in depth on how Wiseman has been a huge disappointment for them.   They knew he was going to need some time and development, but he's actually regressed as the year has gone along to the point where they can't really even play him.     There is a pretty good likelihood that he won't even be a full time contributor by Year 3.    Sounds to me like they'll definitely try to package him and some picks for a proven player this offseason, because he's not going to be a contributor for them while Curry's window is still open. 

Makes no sense to me AT ALL. What´s the end game here?  11 points, 6 rebounds, 1 block, 51% from field, 33% from 3pt range in 21 minutes.

Did they expect 20/10 with dominant defense?

Seems pretty normal for a rookie in a sub-par draft class.

23-19 with Steph. 0-8 without Steph. The problem seems pretty obvious. Without Klay & Steph they suck, just like last year.

RE: AROUND the NBA: Lebron out 4-6 weeks - cow - 04-06-2021

(04-06-2021, 11:57 AM)dynamicalVoid Wrote: I say the same thing about WCS and get laughed at.   I get it...WCS sucks for his size...but I think if he works a little and isnt super lazy...the game will come to him at some point and at that time he will be able to use his size to contribute.  He is already 25...interesting to see if he figures it out before its too late(age 30 maybe).  

WCS has terrible hands and he'll never overcome that.  WCS is 27 and 231 days old.

Some other points brought up...

The troubling thing about Wiseman is that he's getting worse as the year goes along.   He is more lost on his defensive rotations now than he was to start the year.   The good things he was doing on offense to start the year have now disappeared.   You want to see some signs that he's taking what you're teaching him in practice in parlaying it into games.   Instead you see him make his first mistake and then his shoulders start to slump, and then comes the 2nd and the 3rd and the 4th mistake.

The Warrior players and organization is quick to go after anyone who criticizes Wiseman.  It's apparent to everyone how much he is struggling and they're trying to be very protective of him.   That's a worrying sign.  

Draymond brought this up earlier in the year .. basketball has always come easy to Wiseman, and this is the first time he's probably ever been criticized in his life in basketball.    You want to see some signs that he can let the criticism bounce off of him.

It's still early for Wiseman, but it's late for Draymond.  It's late for Klay.  It's getting late for Steph.   The Warriors tried to have it both ways.   They wanted to market Wiseman as this potential franchise cornerstone talent who could grow into their existing core, but now they're preaching patience and how he needs several years to grow.   If that's the case, they should have just put him out  there for 20 minutes a game starting right away and live with the mistakes.  But instead they pull him for Kevon Looney, who is a Steve Kerr pet. 

What is happening to the Warriors is what is supposed to happen to teams on the tail end of dynasties.   You got 3 players making over $110 million combined, and you are drafting in the 30s every year.   Of course your depth and bench and secondary talent starts to erode.  That's how the league is designed to work.  That's what made the Spurs such a miracle.  

RE: AROUND the NBA: Lebron out 4-6 weeks - SleepingHero - 04-06-2021

(04-06-2021, 11:57 AM)dynamicalVoid Wrote: It might not be until he is 28 or 29 when the game slows down for him and it clicks...but his size and ability to move should keep him in the league if he is willing to put in some work.

It'd be interesting to see if he can last 10 years in the NBA before he meets his expectations.

The Warriors were probably the best situation for him. Good franchise. Great coaching. No need to carry the load with Steph there. Yet a Warriors beat writer is saying that the Warriors think he's regressed throughout the year?

As Walt Frazier says: Not an auspicious start for the young neophyte.

RE: AROUND the NBA: Lebron out 4-6 weeks - dynamicalVoid - 04-06-2021

(04-06-2021, 12:36 PM)cow Wrote: WCS has terrible hands and he'll never overcome that.  WCS is 27 and 231 days old.

Yeah...I was in the middle of editing that post to say that WCS is a bad example.  He cant dribble, bad hands and is sloppy around the rim(cant make a layup).   I mainly say WCS because people claim he is bad at his defensive assignments...which I think is something that can be overcome if the game slows down for him.  Also...I think if he stays in the league he will be a little more assertive/aggressive with rebounds/playing defensive as he gets older.  Not bullied as much.   But...his offense is bad and he seems absent minded...he probably wont turn it around.

If Wiseman doesnt give up....I could see him turning into a force at like 25-26 years old.   Everyone might be his size by then though...with better fundamentals.

RE: AROUND the NBA: Lebron out 4-6 weeks - Scott41theMavs - 04-06-2021

(04-06-2021, 01:09 PM)dynamicalVoid Wrote: Yeah...I was in the middle of editing that post to say that WCS is a bad example.  He cant dribble, bad hands and is sloppy around the rim(cant make a layup).   I mainly say WCS because people claim he is bad at his defensive assignments...which I think is something that can be overcome if the game slows down for him.  Also...I think if he stays in the league he will be a little more assertive/aggressive with rebounds/playing defensive as he gets older.  Not bullied as much.   But...his offense is bad and he seems absent minded...he probably wont turn it around.

If Wiseman doesnt give up....I could see him turning into a force at like 25-26 years old.   Everyone might be his size by then though...with better fundamentals.

Everyone trashes WCS here as if he's terrible. He isn't. He's 20th among centers in overall RPM, and 6th among centers in DRPM. Not Mavs centers. Centers in the entire league. This team is better defensively when Willie plays.

RE: AROUND the NBA: Lebron out 4-6 weeks - Kammrath - 04-06-2021

(04-06-2021, 04:59 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: This team is better defensively when Willie plays.

He is one of the Mavs better defenders, easily.

(04-06-2021, 05:05 PM)Kammrath Wrote: He is one of the Mavs better defenders, easily.

He can be good when he comes to play but that only occurs once in every five or so appearances.  If he were so good, he wouldn't have collected as many DNPs or games with fewer than 10 minutes of burn.  Stats are great and all but watch him play and you'll see the boneheaded mistakes, how easily he gets pushed around or him fumbling the ball on easy catches.  He's appeared in 35 games and we are 17-18 in those appearances.  Our best defensive run of the season has been without him (through not fault of his own).  He's the epitome of fools gold.

RE: AROUND the NBA: Lebron out 4-6 weeks - Kammrath - 04-06-2021

(04-06-2021, 05:21 PM)cow Wrote: He can be good when he comes to play but that only occurs once in every five or so appearances.  If he were so good, he wouldn't have collected as many DNPs or games with fewer than 10 minutes of burn.  Stats are great and all but watch him play and you'll see the boneheaded mistakes, how easily he gets pushed around or him fumbling the ball on easy catches.  He's appeared in 35 games and we are 17-18 in those appearances.  Our best defensive run of the season has been without him (through not fault of his own).  He's the epitome of fools gold.

He is CONSISTENTLY good on the defensive end (this goes back to last year and RC has admitted as much). But he is often lost and confused on offense. RC has chosen to bypass the benefits of his defense because of his failures on the offensive end. 

The fact is that his DRating when he plays is still better than even this best stretch of Mavs D. 

WCS is a legit NBA team defender. His D is NOT fool's gold.

(04-06-2021, 05:32 PM)Kammrath Wrote: He is CONSISTENTLY good on the defensive end (this goes back to last year and RC has admitted as much). But he is often lost and confused on offense. RC has chosen to bypass the benefits of his defense because of his failures on the offensive end. 

The fact is that his DRating when he plays is still better than even this best stretch of Mavs D. 

WCS is a legit NBA team defender. His D is NOT fool's gold.

If his defense was consistently good and impactful, he'd average over 15+ minutes in this rotation, even with his offensive woes with second units.  If he was an impactful player he wouldn't have DNPs or a losing record with the team.  Dude shouldn't be in the league.

RE: AROUND the NBA: Lebron out 4-6 weeks - StepBackJay - 04-06-2021

Glad we don't have to listen to Paul Pierce anymore ab anything.

RE: AROUND the NBA: Lebron out 4-6 weeks - Scott41theMavs - 04-06-2021

(04-06-2021, 05:45 PM)cow Wrote: If his defense was consistently good and impactful, he'd average over 15+ minutes in this rotation, even with his offensive woes with second units.  If he was an impactful player he wouldn't have DNPs or a losing record with the team.  Dude shouldn't be in the league.

As Kamm has said, RPM is about literally the very basics of winning or losing basketball - the Mavs scored more points with Willie on the floor, and he made a major impact defensively. 

If WCS shouldn't be in the league, then Melli certainly shouldn't be either.

(04-06-2021, 09:34 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: As Kamm has said, RPM is about literally the very basics of winning or losing basketball - the Mavs scored more points with Willie on the floor, and he made a major impact defensively. 

If WCS shouldn't be in the league, then Melli certainly shouldn't be either.

You can list all stats you want.  His great RPM numbers led to a 17-18 record in the games he's appeared in.  If you have functioning eyes and watch him play, you'll understand why he gets DNPs and games with very, very few minutes.  I praise the guy when he does well and there is probably a play game where he looks impressive and then he'll have a game where it looks like he's put everything together and it gives you hope and all that hope disappears the next game, and the next game, and the next game, and probably the next game too.  And then there is crap like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qikYFQ5Np2k
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2UM0OhW1gPM

If the MBT were good at recruiting or team building, he wouldn't be in the league.

With the way Melli shoots, he may not be long for this league either.  He certainly has a much better feel for the game on both ends of the floor but Mellimania is going to come to an abrupt end in the playoffs where teams do more game planning and exploit matchups.

RE: AROUND the NBA: Lebron out 4-6 weeks - DrMav - 04-06-2021

Portland loses to LAC, Mavs are now 1.5 games back from 6th (effectively 2.5 because of tiebreaker)