MavsBoard
2020-2021 AROUND the NBA: Archived - Printable Version

+- MavsBoard (https://www.mavsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Boards (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Dallas Mavericks and the NBA (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: 2020-2021 AROUND the NBA: Archived (/showthread.php?tid=622)

RE: AROUND the NBA: Lebron out 4-6 weeks - dirkfansince1998 - 03-25-2021

(03-25-2021, 03:44 PM)jesusshuttlesworth82 Wrote: Why did they trade Theis?  I'm confused.

I would guess that they have some kind of agreement with Drummond (don´t think he is better than Theis). They also save some money but they are still over the luxuy tax line.

RE: AROUND the NBA: Lebron out 4-6 weeks - HAguiar95 - 03-25-2021

(03-25-2021, 03:49 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: I would guess that they have some kind of agreement with Drummond (don´t think he is better than Theis). They also save some money but they are still over the luxuy tax line.

They're under now. Teague went to ORL and Green went to CHI on those deals.

RE: AROUND the NBA: Lebron out 4-6 weeks - dirkfansince1998 - 03-25-2021

(03-25-2021, 03:55 PM)HAguiar95 Wrote: They're under now. Teague went to ORL and Green went to CHI on those deals.

Missed Teague. Losing Theis will really hurt them but I guess money is more important.

RE: AROUND the NBA: Lebron out 4-6 weeks - KillerLeft - 03-25-2021

(03-25-2021, 03:59 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: Losing Theis will really hurt them but I guess money is more important.

I'm with you on Theis (would've liked him here as a 3rd big, too) being their best center. 

But, I've read/heard in several places recently that they believe they have something in Time Lord and want to lean on him more heavily. And, for all we know they tried like hell to dump Thompson and just couldn't get it done. 

I'm not agreeing with it, just trying to make sense of it.

(03-25-2021, 03:59 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: Missed Teague. Losing Theis will really hurt them but I guess money is more important.

Yeah, ORL wouldn't take TT so they had to cut him. Dallas should have jumped all over him. Missed oportunity.

RE: AROUND the NBA: Lebron out 4-6 weeks - SleepingHero - 03-25-2021

(03-25-2021, 04:10 PM)HAguiar95 Wrote: Yeah, ORL wouldn't take TT so they had to cut him. Dallas should have jumped all over him. Missed oportunity.

Listened to KOC and Chris Vernon on the Ringer and Vernon basically said Tristan Thompson was the source of many chemistry/locker room issues in Boston. And that they were trying hard to find trades for him. 

One big issue was that he just kept breaking COVID protocols by going to clubs/bars. It made it that he was always being held out of games/potentially exposing his teammates. 

I think Thompson's time in the NBA has come to a close.

(03-25-2021, 04:42 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: Listened to KOC and Chris Vernon on the Ringer and Vernon basically said Tristan Thompson was the source of many chemistry/locker room issues in Boston. And that they were trying hard to find trades for him. 

One big issue was that he just kept breaking COVID protocols by going to clubs/bars. It made it that he was always being held out of games/potentially exposing his teammates. 

I think Thompson's time in the NBA has come to a close.

Not sure I buy all that. If he were such a cancer, they pay someone to take him (i.e Meyers Leonard) instead of Theis. He'll have a major role on Boston since it's him, Timelord and Wagne are the bigs.

RE: AROUND the NBA: Lebron out 4-6 weeks - RDB - 03-25-2021

(03-25-2021, 03:00 PM)Kammrath Wrote: Let me answer in two ways centered around JC:

1) Worse case scenario is the Mavs clear space to sign a RFA max deal with JC the Hawks won't match. I think the Mavs in the LONG run get better with JC while losing THJ and JRich.

2) My HOPE is that the Mavs have cap space leverage to force the Hawks into a sign and trade for JC where the Mavs keep either THJ or JR. 

I believe enough in JC that he is worth it in my mind....but I do not see any other target that buoys the Mavs long term outlook like JC does. 

JC or BUST for me this summer.
This board is funny.  I literally said the same thing about Collins around pages 80-90 and was roasted on this board.  Sorry Kam but you are likely going to have to take a break for this silly, nonsensical post...the jeers should be coming shortly.

I said we would not be able to get him at the TDL but thought there was a possibility in the off-season as a max offer or S&T and that opinion was completely marginalized along with points I used to support my opinion (some of which have interestingly popped up in discussions since).  There was one person, It’s Go Time, who provided support.  Otherwise it was crickets except for the 2 ringleaders who seemed to get enjoyment in being condescending.  Others can check but I suspect not...I’m a newbie and not one of the smartest people in the room.

To the 2 cheerleaders, $100 says Collins is not with Atlanta next year.  I’ll stay consistent with what I said then.  What do you say...just for shits and giggles?  Let’s also do a second.  Since you joked about my zero chance thoughts about an off-season acquisition, give me 1000/1.  That’s easy money for both of you.

P.S.  If this were to somehow happen, I am going to be insufferable on this board ?.

RE: AROUND the NBA: Lebron out 4-6 weeks - Time Machine Dirk - 03-25-2021

(03-25-2021, 07:57 PM)RDB Wrote: This board is funny.  I literally said the same thing about Collins around pages 80-90 and was roasted on this board.  Sorry Kam but you are likely going to have to take a break for this silly, nonsensical post...the jeers should be coming shortly.

I said we would not be able to get him at the TDL but thought there was a possibility in the off-season as a max offer or S&T and that opinion was completely marginalized along with points I used to support my opinion (some of which have interestingly popped up in discussions since).  There was one person, It’s Go Time, who provided support.  Otherwise it was crickets except for the 2 ringleaders who seemed to get enjoyment in being condescending.  Others can check but I suspect not...I’m a newbie and not one of the smartest people in the room.

To the 2 cheerleaders, $100 says Collins is not with Atlanta next year.  I’ll stay consistent with what I said then.  What do you say...just for shits and giggles?  Let’s also do a second.  Since you joked about my zero chance thoughts about an off-season acquisition, give me 1000/1.  That’s easy money for both of you.

P.S.  If this were to somehow happen, I am going to be insufferable on this board ?.

Dude...relax! It's just basketball and opinions.

RE: AROUND the NBA: Lebron out 4-6 weeks - HanspardShowerVoice - 03-25-2021

(03-25-2021, 04:58 PM)HAguiar95 Wrote: Not sure I buy all that. If he were such a cancer, they pay someone to take him (i.e Meyers Leonard) instead of Theis. He'll have a major role on Boston since it's him, Timelord and Wagne are the bigs.

Theis has appeal around the league can actually play NBA basketball in 2021 and Tristan Thompson cant.  Thus the Celtics could trade Theis, but they couldn't trade TT.   Anyone who covers or follows the Celtics will tell you they would have much rather traded TT than Theis, but they couldn't find any takers. 

Robert Williams will now be the starting big.

(03-25-2021, 03:44 PM)jesusshuttlesworth82 Wrote: Why did they trade Theis?  I'm confused.

(03-25-2021, 03:49 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: I think they needed a roster spot for the Fournier trade?

They wanted to get under the tax after bringing in Fournier's salary.  It's not so much about paying the tax this season, but it starts the clock of paying much more punitive  repeater taxes down the road if they keep adding more salary.

Hoping the Nets get Drummond in a buyout just for the enjoyment of watching Durant, Harden and Kyrie stand around with their hands on their sides watching  Drummond brick free throw after free throw in the 4th quarter of playoff basketball games.    Literally the only way you could stop the Nets offense in crunchtime is to self sabotage yourself by putting Drummond on the floor with them.   Also would be awesome to have 3 of the top 10 offensive weapons in the sport and have to waste possessions feeding Andre Drummond in the post to keep him engaged.

RE: AROUND the NBA: Lebron out 4-6 weeks - RDB - 03-25-2021

(03-25-2021, 08:19 PM)Time Machine Dirk Wrote: Dude...relax! It's just basketball and opinions.

Dude...mind your own business.  You weren’t even around then.

RE: AROUND the NBA: Lebron out 4-6 weeks - cow - 03-25-2021

(03-25-2021, 09:06 PM)HanspardShowerVoice Wrote: Hoping the Nets get Drummond in a buyout just for the enjoyment of watching Durant, Harden and Kyrie stand around with their hands on their sides watching  Drummond brick free throw after free throw in the 4th quarter of playoff basketball games.    Literally the only way you could stop the Nets offense in crunchtime is to self sabotage yourself by putting Drummond on the floor with them.   Also would be awesome to have 3 of the top 10 offensive weapons in the sport and have to waste possessions feeding Andre Drummond in the post to keep him engaged.

DAJ will coach him up.  Drummond will start talking to his invisible friend at the line.

(03-25-2021, 07:57 PM)RDB Wrote: This board is funny.  I literally said the same thing about Collins around pages 80-90 and was roasted on this board.  Sorry Kam but you are likely going to have to take a break for this silly, nonsensical post...the jeers should be coming shortly.

If it happens, I'll gladly enjoy how insufferable you become.

RE: AROUND the NBA: Lebron out 4-6 weeks - SleepingHero - 03-25-2021

(03-25-2021, 09:19 PM)RDB Wrote: Dude...mind your own business.  You weren’t even around then.

To be fair he has a time machine. It's in his name.

RE: AROUND the NBA: Lebron out 4-6 weeks - jesusshuttlesworth82 - 03-25-2021

Lakers lose again.

Danny Green with 28 tonight

RE: AROUND the NBA: Lebron out 4-6 weeks - cow - 03-26-2021

https://twitter.com/i/status/1374716378368897033

RE: AROUND the NBA: Lebron out 4-6 weeks - Chicagojk - 03-26-2021

(03-25-2021, 11:48 PM)jesusshuttlesworth82 Wrote: Lakers lose again.

Danny Green with 28 tonight

Man, any word how long AD is out for?  I don't see that squad winning many games without AD and Lebron.  Heck, it will be tricky even with AD back.  They could drop like a rock.  These next 3 weeks will be fascinating.  

I turned on the end of the Heat vs Blazers game last night with the Heat up by 7.   I was like "cool, lets go Heat".  Well Portland does what they do.  They just chipped away at the lead and Kanter was excellent late.    The Heat made several big plays, but Portland just made more and Dame was fouled on an end of a game three that won them the game.

Is Zach Collins out of Portland's plans?  I know he is always hurt, but Kanter has been quite the find for them.   Now, maybe Kanter and Nurkic can't play together.   I believe Collins is a RFA.   There has always been talk that he is a break out player, but he just can't stay healthy.   He could be an interesting name that some team with money gambles on.

RE: AROUND the NBA: Lebron out 4-6 weeks - HAguiar95 - 03-26-2021

(03-26-2021, 07:19 AM)Chicagojk Wrote: Man, any word how long AD is out for?  I don't see that squad winning many games without AD and Lebron.  Heck, it will be tricky even with AD back.  They could drop like a rock.  These next 3 weeks will be fascinating.  

I turned on the end of the Heat vs Blazers game last night with the Heat up by 7.   I was like "cool, lets go Heat".  Well Portland does what they do.  They just chipped away at the lead and Kanter was excellent late.    The Heat made several big plays, but Portland just made more and Dame was fouled on an end of a game three that won them the game.

Watched that game till the end. For all the crow Josh Green is eating here, Achiuwa looks just horrible on offense his defense is solid, at least he's gettin PT to improve. Several posessions lost when he touches the rock. Bam is a star, Robinson is a taller Redick. Can't play a lick of defense. Nunn is playing like Brunson.

If they can get Dragic-Dipo-Butler-Bam-Aldridge to play together (don't think they'll play more than 5 games on the regular season) with Nunn-Hero-Robinson-Ariza/Iggy, they're gonna do damage in the 2nd round against PHI/BRO/MIL.

RE: AROUND the NBA: Lebron out 4-6 weeks - HanspardShowerVoice - 03-26-2021

Thinking about Mo Bamba .. can anyone think of a former lottery pick who was just an absolute zero for his first 3-4 years with his original team who goes on and turns his career around with another team?    I'm not talking like Brandon Ingram who flashes and maybe has some injury/consistency issues and then gets traded away for a legit All Star like AD, I'm talking about like Thon Maker or Dragan Bender absolute zero who gets released or traded for a bucket of balls by the team that drafted him.    Franchises really, really, really want their lottery picks to succeed (particularly rebuilding franchises) , so if they haven't showed you anything or earned regular minutes by Year 3 that's probably a very bad sign.