MavsBoard
2020-2021 AROUND the NBA: Archived - Printable Version

+- MavsBoard (https://www.mavsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Boards (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Dallas Mavericks and the NBA (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: 2020-2021 AROUND the NBA: Archived (/showthread.php?tid=622)

RE: AROUND the NBA: Lonzo Ball likely to be moved before TDL - Tyler - 03-24-2021

(03-24-2021, 03:07 PM)ClutchDirk Wrote: https://twitter.com/Itamar_17_10/status/1374796063589203970

Woj really made his name around breaking news. But the tradeoff for getting the info first is that he has to be willing to spread whatever rumors ahead of that breaking news that teams feed him for their own benefit. So when consuming his inside info, just realize that it's a two-edged sword.

RE: AROUND the NBA: Lonzo Ball likely to be moved before TDL - StepBackJay - 03-24-2021

(03-24-2021, 03:07 PM)ClutchDirk Wrote: https://twitter.com/Itamar_17_10/status/1374796063589203970

Who would do that? What's nuts is that OKC, Houston, NOP and NYK have all the first round picks. The only team that could give up a "mid-first round" (presuming that it would be a 2021 pick where you can guess the pick) would be NYK. They have their own pick as well as Dallas' which would both be in the neighborhood of a "mid-first round" pick. The Knicks being the Knicks would be the only team desperate enough to get better now and also a big enough market to be able to keep Dipo who wants to be in a big market.

So this makes me think the Rockets are waiting until the final minute to see if NYK's other plans fall through and they give up a first to get Dipo. Otherwise they will have to fall back on one of these 2nd round pick offers.

RE: AROUND the NBA: Lonzo Ball likely to be moved before TDL - StepBackJay - 03-24-2021

(03-24-2021, 03:10 PM)cow Wrote: Wonder if we are getting calls about THJ and JRich?

Donnie be checking to make sure his phone is plugged in and has a dial tone.

RE: AROUND the NBA: Lonzo Ball likely to be moved before TDL - cow - 03-24-2021

(03-24-2021, 03:20 PM)StepBackJay Wrote: Donnie be checking to make sure his phone is plugged in and has a dial tone.

Donnie's been on the phone with Cleveland for hours now.

(03-24-2021, 03:23 PM)cow Wrote: Donnie's been on the phone with Cleveland for hours now.

For Drummond? Talking up Powell?

RE: AROUND the NBA: Lonzo Ball likely to be moved before TDL - BasketballJones41 - 03-24-2021

(03-24-2021, 03:25 PM)StepBackJay Wrote: For Drummond? Talking up Powell?

Only way I’m interested in Drummond is if it gets rid of Powell’s contract.

RE: AROUND the NBA: Lonzo Ball likely to be moved before TDL - ClutchDirk - 03-24-2021

https://twitter.com/townbrad/status/1374820006312181764

(03-24-2021, 03:25 PM)StepBackJay Wrote: For Drummond? Talking up Powell?

Powell + JJ + 2x SRP = Drummond

RE: AROUND the NBA: Lonzo Ball likely to be moved before TDL - omahen - 03-24-2021

(03-24-2021, 03:37 PM)cow Wrote: Powell + JJ + 2x SRP = Drummond

I wonder whats better for Cleveland. Take Powell and SRP or buyout Drummond.

(03-24-2021, 03:39 PM)omahen Wrote: I wonder whats better for Cleveland. Take Powell and SRP or buyout Drummond.

If I was Cleveland's GM:  Buyout Drummond

But I'm a battered wife when it comes to the value of draft picks thanks to the MBT.

RE: AROUND the NBA: Lonzo Ball likely to be moved before TDL - F Gump - 03-24-2021

(03-24-2021, 02:38 PM)ClutchDirk Wrote: The Celtics and the Clippers rank as the two most desperate teams at the deadline, given the playoff expectations they carried into the season and both clubs’ recent struggles. No less an authority than Danny Ainge, Boston’s president of basketball operations, said in a February radio interview that “we don’t have a good enough team,” essentially putting public pressure on himself to do something about it.

Boston has duly pursued a variety of big men whose teams are resistant to deals: Sacramento’s Harrison Barnes, Atlanta’s John Collins and Orlando’s Nikola Vucevic. The Celtics now appear focused on Gordon, or perhaps more affordable options like Sacramento’s Nemanja Bjelica or Toronto’s Norman Powell.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/03/24/sports/basketball/nba-trade-deadline-rumors-deals.html

About Boston --

I read an analysis by someone in the last day or so (can't remember who, but it was someone who is known to be plugged in) regarding Boston's likelihood of a trade. They cited other execs, and said the consensus is that Boston is very unlikely to get a high profile deal across the finish line right now because of the nature of the trades at the trade deadline.

Especially this one.

They said there are a lot of teams looking for upgrades, so every top possibility is at "full retail" or higher. And Boston prides itself on getting good-to-great deals and on having the discipline to keep from overpaying.

So, for example [my example, not theirs, to illustrate what was said], if Boston sees Gordon as worth a well-protected 1st and a young player with unproven ability (such as Nesmith) and Orlando wants a proven up-and-coming player and a pick with almost no protection, plus a 2nd rounder, Boston is not going to try to bridge that gap. They will only do a deal at THEIR valuations, even if it's not what the competitive market is demanding.

There is also speculation that any reports Boston is making super-high offers is either Orlando trying to pump up the competitive market for Gordon, or the reports misstating the details. Because, Boston isn't going to be making extravagant offers, that's just not the way they operate, not ever. They negotiate a lot, but they are very disciplined and unwilling to ever overpay.

That shed a lot of light on the Gordon-to-Boston idea for me.

RE: AROUND the NBA: Lonzo Ball likely to be moved before TDL - Jason Terry - 03-24-2021

(03-24-2021, 03:04 PM)ClutchDirk Wrote: https://twitter.com/KeithSmithNBA/status/1374793181565444102
I’d take Hood and Collins in a Oladipo to Portland trade 

Also would take KCP in a Lakers-Lowry trade

RE: AROUND the NBA: Lonzo Ball likely to be moved before TDL - omahen - 03-24-2021

(03-24-2021, 03:43 PM)F Gump Wrote: There is also speculation that any reports Boston is making super-high offers is either Orlando trying to pump up the competitive market for Gordon

I think this one is very possible. First it was Smart + 2 FRP than Gordon suddenly changing his heart and wants to stay in Orlando

RE: AROUND the NBA: Lonzo Ball likely to be moved before TDL - DanSchwartzgan - 03-24-2021

(03-24-2021, 03:18 PM)StepBackJay Wrote: Who would do that? What's nuts is that OKC, Houston, NOP and NYK have all the first round picks. The only team that could give up a "mid-first round" (presuming that it would be a 2021 pick where you can guess the pick) would be NYK. They have their own pick as well as Dallas' which would both be in the neighborhood of a "mid-first round" pick. The Knicks being the Knicks would be the only team desperate enough to get better now and also a big enough market to be able to keep Dipo who wants to be in a big market.

So this makes me think the Rockets are waiting until the final minute to see if NYK's other plans fall through and they give up a first to get Dipo. Otherwise they will have to fall back on one of these 2nd round pick offers.

I hear Houston thought they were close on Aaron Gordon.  They have the picks to do it, but why would Orlando want Dipo.  It would make more sense if Dipo was going to NY (which is still under the minimum) and one of NY's expiring PG's was the outgoing to Orlando.  There are enough picks between NY and Houston to satisfy Houston and Orlando.

(03-24-2021, 03:47 PM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: I hear Houston thought they were close on Aaron Gordon.  They have the picks to do it, but why would Orlando want Dipo.  It would make more sense if Dipo was going to NY (which is still under the minimum) and one of NY's expiring PG's was the outgoing to Orlando.  There are enough picks between NY and Houston to satisfy Houston and Orlando.

Ya seems like a 3-way would be doable there.

RE: AROUND the NBA: Lonzo Ball likely to be moved before TDL - Tyler - 03-24-2021

(03-24-2021, 03:47 PM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: I hear Houston thought they were close on Aaron Gordon.  They have the picks to do it, but why would Orlando want Dipo.  It would make more sense if Dipo was going to NY (which is still under the minimum) and one of NY's expiring PG's was the outgoing to Orlando.  There are enough picks between NY and Houston to satisfy Houston and Orlando.

Well I also heard that the hangup had nothing to do with Dipo and everything to do with Gordon being unwilling to sign an extension to stay in Houston beyond the remainder of his current contract. Houston naturally isn't in a position to give up picks for a rental. But is Orlando backs off and is willing to take NY leftovers, then sure.

Mavs need to at least get a good depth player (Holmes, DG would qualify) to help shore things up for the playoffs. When you have Luka scoring 8 threes in a row you don't want to mail-in a playoff opportunity.

(03-24-2021, 03:51 PM)StepBackJay Wrote: Mavs need to at least get a good depth player (Holmes, DG would qualify) to help shore things up for the playoffs. When you have Luka scoring 8 threes in a row you don't want to mail-in a playoff opportunity.

[Image: giphy.gif]

(03-24-2021, 03:53 PM)cow Wrote: [Image: giphy.gif]

He will be a Laker

RE: AROUND the NBA: Lonzo Ball likely to be moved before TDL - HanspardShowerVoice - 03-24-2021

Yeah, I always thought the easiest Dipo destination was NYK because of their room under the cap and the extra picks.   Nice, clean, easy uncomplicated trades to make there.      Dipo -> Alec Burks expiring + Mavs 2021 1st round pick works in the trade machine.   They also have Detroit's 2nd rounder, which could be in the really high 30s.  NY gets another playmaker without giving away any current talent for a playoff run.   I don't think NYK is interested in grooming all these draft picks after they're already developing Barrett, Quickley, Toppin, Robinson and Knox.   They're going to want to translate some of this draft capital to actual proven players.  Houston gets their 1st round pick and doesn't have to take on any money to match Dipo's 21 million salary, which really isn't easy.   NYK probably gets an extension done sooner rather than later, considering their current President is a former major CAA agent who will know how this plays out before he pulls the trigger. Dipo seems to want to play in a big market.   Also, the Knicks GM was at Orlando when they drafted Dipo, so there is familiarity there.