MavsBoard
2020-2021 AROUND the NBA: Archived - Printable Version

+- MavsBoard (https://www.mavsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Boards (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Dallas Mavericks and the NBA (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: 2020-2021 AROUND the NBA: Archived (/showthread.php?tid=622)

RE: AROUND the NBA: Aaron Gordon has requested a trade - sefant - 03-24-2021

(03-23-2021, 11:43 PM)thSleepingHero Wrote: Portland just lost a heartbreaker against Brooklyn. Blake Griffin looks really good coming off the bench.

Very happy to see at least 1 WC team lose tonight.

Lets hope GSW follow suit.

(03-24-2021, 07:25 AM)HanspardShowerVoice Wrote: I don't know why Dame doesn't get more MVP buzz in a season without a clearcut leader.    No one is more valuable to their team.   When Dame has a bad shooting night, the Trailblazers are cooked.

29th "best" defensive rating. They can't guard a chair.

Checking their top 5 man lineups the Blazers have a CJ problem. The DDJ / Kanter lineup has vastly outperformed the CJ/Nurk starting 5.

Gotta watch if that trend continues. Lillard and CJ is just not a duo you can win anything with. I would have made CJ available a long time ago. Lillard's defense makes Luka look like a DPOY candidate. You need to surround him with top defenders.

RE: AROUND the NBA: Aaron Gordon has requested a trade - omahen - 03-24-2021

(03-24-2021, 08:15 AM)sefant Wrote: 29th "best" defensive rating. They can't guard a chair.

It is real funny that Portland is a team that is KP cryptonite. He has been awful all three games against them.

RE: AROUND the NBA: Aaron Gordon has requested a trade - StepBackJay - 03-24-2021

I don't know why the Raptors wouldn't just keep Powell? I guess they are wanting to reboot around their core guys (FVV, Anunoby, Siakim). I am surprised they aren't winning more games this year.

No serious discussions, I hope. I would hate if they got him, he would really be great with Mavs

https://twitter.com/TheNBACentral/status/1374704338657026048

(03-24-2021, 08:28 AM)StepBackJay Wrote: I don't know why the Raptors wouldn't just keep Powell?

Because he will command 20 mil (or more) salary per year and they are already paying 66 mil to FVV, Pascal and OG. And this group can't even make playoffs. It is time to move on...

RE: AROUND the NBA: Aaron Gordon has requested a trade - StepBackJay - 03-24-2021

I just don't believe the Brogdon stuff bc he's so important for them. That being said they haven't been playing well since the Dipo trade and their owner is cheap. I would love Brog, he was my favorite player when he was an FA. Of course the Mavs had zero interest in him at that time for some reason.

I know these boards love Turner but he seems like a guy that people on forums love that GM's don't love as much for whatever reason. I think at some point there needs to be a breakup of the Turner, Sabonis frontcourt.

For Mavs man I would give up anything that isn't Luka, KP for Brog and have that be your core. I just don't think he's on the market just yet. This summer guys like that could be made available tho.

RE: AROUND the NBA: Aaron Gordon has requested a trade - HanspardShowerVoice - 03-24-2021

(03-24-2021, 08:28 AM)omahen Wrote: No serious discussions, I hope. I would hate if they got him, he would really be great with Mavs

https://twitter.com/TheNBACentral/status/1374704338657026048

Because he will command 20 mil (or more) salary per year and they are already paying 66 mil to FVV, Pascal and OG. And this group can't even make playoffs. It is time to move on...

IMHO, the NBA needs to address the bind that small market teams get into when they focus on drafting and developing in house because they can't draw free agents, and they develop guys who are just good enough to get market premium money but not good enough to go toe to toe with legit NBA superstars in the playoffs.   If this is truly going to become a league where all the premiere super star free agents just go play in Los Angeles and New York markets, they're going to have to find a way to make it less punitive with a when a Toronto has to overpay Fred VanVleet and Siakam to resign after they drafted and developed him.

(03-24-2021, 09:07 AM)HanspardShowerVoice Wrote: IMHO, the NBA needs to address the bind that small market teams get into when they focus on drafting and developing in house because they can't draw free agents, and they develop guys who are just good enough to get market premium money but not good enough to go toe to toe with legit NBA superstars in the playoffs.   If this is truly going to become a league where all the premiere super star free agents just go play in Los Angeles and New York markets, they're going to have to find a way to make it less punitive with a when a Toronto has to overpay Fred VanVleet to resign after they drafted and developed him.

At least for super max guys I think there is a very simple solution. The super max part should not count in the cap. This would really give the "home" team an advantage. I guess something similar could be done for home grown guys. Like only 90 % of their wage counts against cap or something

RE: AROUND the NBA: Aaron Gordon has requested a trade - Kammrath - 03-24-2021

(03-24-2021, 09:12 AM)omahen Wrote: At least for super max guys I think there is a very simple solution. The super max part should not count in the cap. This would really give the "home" team an advantage. I guess something similar could be done for home grown guys. Like only 90 % of their wage counts against cap or something

Yeah at minimum home grown guys should not count toward luxury tax. Teams should only get taxed for poaching players from other teams.

(03-24-2021, 09:12 AM)omahen Wrote: At least for super max guys I think there is a very simple solution. The super max part should not count in the cap. This would really give the "home" team an advantage. I guess something similar could be done for home grown guys. Like only 90 % of their wage counts against cap or something

Ya I agree that the extra super max salary shouldn't count against the cap but rather be a normal max cap hit.

RE: AROUND the NBA: Aaron Gordon has requested a trade - SleepingHero - 03-24-2021

(03-24-2021, 08:55 AM)StepBackJay Wrote: Of course the Mavs had zero interest in him at that time for some reason.

The Mavs didn't have a chance. Brogdon was SnT for a 1st and 2 2nds, on top of being handed 20 mil per year. 

Could the Mavs have tried to money-whip him and cancel the SnT? Maybe. But unlikely.

+41 on the supermax counting as a regular max. 

It kind of defeats the entire purpose of the supermax when it prevents the team handing it out from being able to improve.

I also don't think a player should have to make an all-star team to get a supermax in a scenario where the team only gets charged a "normal" max. After like 8-9 years if the guy is really good he has prob made an all-star team but sometimes there are max-level guys who haven't made an all-star team. In those instances I think being able to offer the "supermax" salary would be an advantage.

The other problem for small-market teams is that even if they could do that they may not be able to afford the salary in real dollars.

RE: Warriors Trade Talk

It is interesting how quiet things have gotten around the Warriors when there was so much chatter before.....

...I personally will be shocked if they don't do a deal as I really think their window is closing FAST.

RE: AROUND the NBA: Aaron Gordon has requested a trade - HanspardShowerVoice - 03-24-2021

IMHO, it was a lost season for the Warriors as soon as Klay got injured again.  At least in regards to be a true contender.     They need to gear up for 2021 when Klay comes back.  I would argue it's better for them to hold off until the Summer to make their move.   There will be more sellers.   If the TWolves get a Top 3 pick this year, then their 2022 pick is unprotected for the Warriors.   That's going to be a major trade piece.

To me the team that absolutely has to make a move right now is Denver.    They have to go all in now.   They're going to have to offer MPJ a max in 2022 and then their roster is cooked.  They'll have $100 million devoted to just 3 players.     The Lakers and Clippers are now looking very vulnerable now.

RE: AROUND the NBA: Aaron Gordon has requested a trade - Chicagojk - 03-24-2021

(03-24-2021, 10:02 AM)HanspardShowerVoice Wrote: IMHO, it was a lost season for the Warriors as soon as Klay got injured again.  At least in regards to be a true contender.     They need to gear up for 2021 when Klay comes back.  I would argue it's better for them to hold off until the Summer to make their move.   There will be more sellers.   If the TWolves get a Top 3 pick this year, then their 2022 pick is unprotected for the Warriors.   That's going to be a major trade piece.

I agree.  I can see them moving Oubre for a piece that may fit better.  But I will be shocked if they go all in now.   IMO, they are one of the lead teams if Beal is moved.  Plus, I think it is a matter of time before KAT starts making noise.   

The negative is that while the Minny pick should be very good, there is a small chance it disappoints if it falls to 2022.  Slight chance.

Their best strategy is to wait.  Now is not the time to go all in.   If they use the Minny Pick and Wiseman, they can jump to the top of the line on almost any offer.   Plus, it would be helpful to see how Klay looks returning from injury before going a certain direction.

RE: AROUND the NBA: Aaron Gordon has requested a trade - ClutchDirk - 03-24-2021

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2937960-lonzo-ball-trade-rumors-pelicans-open-to-deal-if-offer-is-strong-enough

https://twitter.com/TheNBACentral/status/1374738975190102016

RE: AROUND the NBA: Aaron Gordon has requested a trade - Chicagojk - 03-24-2021

(03-24-2021, 10:06 AM)HanspardShowerVoice Wrote: To me the team that absolutely has to make a move right now is Denver.    They have to go all in now.   They're going to have to offer MPJ a max in 2022 and then their roster is cooked.  They'll have $100 million devoted to just 3 players.     The Lakers and Clippers are now looking very vulnerable now.

I agree.  They are a team to watch.    I also want to see if PHX does anything.  They are playing really well.   But they need to win now too.  What happens when Chris Paul loses a step?   That could push them back to a team fighting for the playoffs again fast.

https://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/261992/John-Collins-Still-Prefers-To-Re-Sign-With-Hawks

John Collins speaks:

Quote:“For me, there wasn’t necessarily a single number. There’s never been a single number,” Collins said. “I’ve never said, ‘I need a max or I’m only taking a max.’ All I said with my play and what I’ve done, I feel like I should be in max contention or I should be in the caliber or realm of guys who do what I do on the court. That’s all I said. There was never, ‘Oh, I need a five-year max.’ I’ve never said any of that. I just said I felt like I played myself into great position to be talked about with those other guys and be it as it may. That’s what I said. I felt like my play spoke for me and I wanted to continue to let it do that but obviously there are different narratives that are being taken. There’s a lot of stuff that can be misconstrued when it comes to stuff like this. It’s just something I have to take in stride and keep going.”

“I want to stay. I want my flowers here in Atlanta,” Collins said. “I want to be true to Atlanta for my entire career, as corny or as cheesy as it may sound to whoever. As a basketball player and as someone who takes pride in their job, me being drafted in the organization and me living here and becoming a man and living my life in the NBA as a Hawk means something to me. It might not mean a lot to other people but I want to be here. I want my future to be here. I want to think about my future here but the reality of the situation is stuff doesn’t always go the way I want it to. All I can do to make sure my future is as good as it can be is make sure I’m the best player I can be and wake up every day and figure it out.”

RE: AROUND the NBA: Aaron Gordon has requested a trade - ItsGoTime - 03-24-2021

Soooo, Atl is maxing JC. Got it, let’s move on.