MavsBoard
2020-2021 AROUND the NBA: Archived - Printable Version

+- MavsBoard (https://www.mavsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Boards (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Dallas Mavericks and the NBA (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: 2020-2021 AROUND the NBA: Archived (/showthread.php?tid=622)

RE: AROUND the NBA: 18th roster spot only two-way player or vet as well? - KillerLeft - 01-31-2021

(01-31-2021, 03:12 PM)Fuerza1 Wrote: Bane is one of the best 3PT shooters in the NBA already and that is not hyperbole. He is a rookie and although he is 22 years old, he has plenty of room to improve. Younger does not always equal = more potential, or older = less potential; that is a common myth. 

I don't disagree with this, and my point wasn't about age. I have NO problem with drafting older guys, and I feel like players can continue to improve well into their 30's. 

My thinking was about the potential limitations with Bane's ceiling in terms of length, speed, etc. It's very possible that he'll continue to shoot well enough for these things not to matter so much, and his intangibles are obviously off the charts. 

I'm not trying to trash Bane. I like him. And actually, I HATED Green prior to the draft. I'm just pointing out that there are aspects to this that can change over time. Green has exceeded my expectations, to this point, and I never for one second thought the Mavs were going to contend this season regardless of who they drafted or signed in free agency during the off-season (though I did think they'd be better than they have been, obviously). So, for me, it's ALL about the future. Give me the guy who will be better in 4 years. It might still be Bane, and if it is, BAD PICK!

RE: AROUND the NBA: 18th roster spot only two-way player or vet as well? - Omega_Supreme - 01-31-2021

(01-31-2021, 03:12 PM)Fuerza1 Wrote: Bane is one of the best 3PT shooters in the NBA already and that is not hyperbole. He is a rookie and although he is 22 years old, he has plenty of room to improve. Younger does not always equal = more potential, or older = less potential; that is a common myth. 

Luka turns 22 next month and we are talking about how much more Luka can improve. No, Bane is not Luka and I am not saying he has star potential, but Bane can definitely be a solid role player/starter on a contender in time. 

As of now, I am not aware of any such players currently on the Mavs roster besides Luka. 

Again, love the Green pick but he is extremely raw and Carlisle isn't exactly known for developing these 19-year-old projects (see: Green's minutes per game).

I agree and you would think the Mavs philosophy would be to draft guys that are ready to play day 1 or even draft Kentucky kids who have a low bust rate that have gone through pro level coaching. 

Quigley has 25 points right now vs. the Clippers and he looks like the PG of their future 

As for Green yes I think it will take him 2 years before we see a true skillset set and same with Terry. I compare terry to Symons for Portland. Came in fairly young with a teenager body. The mavs just need to commit to the guys they did draft.

RE: AROUND the NBA: 18th roster spot only two-way player or vet as well? - Kammrath - 01-31-2021

(01-31-2021, 03:12 PM)Fuerza1 Wrote: Bane is one of the best 3PT shooters in the NBA already and that is not hyperbole

That is absolute, wild hyperbole. "One of the best 3PT shooters in the NBA" cannot have a total 50 three point attempts in his whole NBA career. That sample size is absolute fool's gold. 

Could he keep it up? Absolutely. Could he tank his three point shooting? Absolutely. 

Did you know that Josh Green is one of the best 2PT shooters in the NBA already? He is 12th in the NBA, shooting 62.5%, right behind Jokic at 62.6%. Never mind that he only has 24 total career two point shots under his belt.

RE: AROUND the NBA: 18th roster spot only two-way player or vet as well? - ClutchDirk - 01-31-2021

Re Bane vs Green...

Donnie should be fired immediately...the Mavs do not need an efficient mid range scorer who will make cuts to the basket...

We need more players camped out at the 3 point line watching Luka try to break down the defense and willing to chuck 3s if he passes to them...

Rant over...

RE: AROUND the NBA: 18th roster spot only two-way player or vet as well? - SwisherPrice - 01-31-2021

Nuggets going off against the Jazz. Utah looks caught off-guard because those 2 games vs. the Mavs were so easy they were practically scrimmages.

RE: AROUND the NBA: 18th roster spot only two-way player or vet as well? - omahen - 01-31-2021

(01-31-2021, 04:23 PM)SwisherPrice Wrote: Nuggets going off against the Jazz. Utah looks caught off-guard because those 2 games vs. the Mavs were so easy they were practically scrimmages.

Denver is shooting unbelievable 88 % from three... 15-17

RE: AROUND the NBA: 18th roster spot only two-way player or vet as well? - HoosierDaddyKid - 01-31-2021

Joker has a career high 33 pts at half. 13-17 from the field, 4-4 on 3's. 79-54 at the half.

RE: AROUND the NBA: 18th roster spot only two-way player or vet as well? - Fuerza1 - 01-31-2021

(01-31-2021, 03:35 PM)Kammrath Wrote: That is absolute, wild hyperbole. "One of the best 3PT shooters in the NBA" cannot have a total 50 three point attempts in his whole NBA career. That sample size is absolute fool's gold. 

Could he keep it up? Absolutely. Could he tank his three point shooting? Absolutely. 

Did you know that Josh Green is one of the best 2PT shooters in the NBA already? He is 12th in the NBA, shooting 62.5%, right behind Jokic at 62.6%. Never mind that he only has 24 total career two point shots under his belt.

I know you didn't like Bane going into the draft but do not let your biases get in the way of reality.

It is not hyperbole. I guess I could be more specific to avoid getting somebody's panties all bunched up but yes, Desmond Bane is one of the best 3PT shooters in the NBA this season thus far. He is making 1.9 three's per game, which is about the career average of Seth Curry, one of your favorites, remember? Seth has 60 3PT attempts so far, and Bane is at 50. 

Your apples to oranges comparison of MVP level player Jokic 262 2PT attempts vs Garbage Time Green's 24 attempts is not even worth arguing about.

I recall many Mavs fans (I know you were one of them) posting last season how Seth Curry was not only the best 3PT shooter in the league, but in the history of the NBA!!! He is also better than his brother Steph!! Not hyperbolic at all because he was a Mav. No body cared to point out the sample size or context of those 3PT shots being attempted.

Anyways, Desmond Bane is on pace to have an elite shooting 3PT season. Never said he was the best, just one of the best [thus far]. I am sorry if that is hyperbolic. I made the comment based on his quick trigger, 3PT versatility, and his track record in college. But maybe he turns into Dennis Smith Jr., who knows.

RE: AROUND the NBA: 18th roster spot only two-way player or vet as well? - HoosierDaddyKid - 01-31-2021

Nets/Wizards is a bonafide shootout. 141-139 with a minute left.

RE: AROUND the NBA: 18th roster spot only two-way player or vet as well? - omahen - 02-01-2021

(01-31-2021, 09:21 PM)HoosierDaddyKid Wrote: Nets/Wizards is a bonafide shootout.

Every Nets game is Smile

RE: AROUND the NBA: 18th roster spot only two-way player or vet as well? - omahen - 02-01-2021

https://twitter.com/statmuse/status/1356070417329516548

RE: AROUND the NBA: 18th roster spot only two-way player or vet as well? - cow - 02-01-2021

Speaking of the Nets, Durant looks amazing and I hope his health holds. I'm really happy that he'll join Dominique in the outlier club for that injury. Hopefully Klay is the next member.

RE: AROUND the NBA: 18th roster spot only two-way player or vet as well? - Kammrath - 02-01-2021

https://twitter.com/TheNBACentral/status/1356328327456432132

RE: AROUND the NBA: 18th roster spot only two-way player or vet as well? - Kammrath - 02-01-2021

[Image: EtKvsJHXYAMqM07?format=jpg&name=large]

RE: AROUND the NBA: 18th roster spot only two-way player or vet as well? - Tyler - 02-01-2021

https://twitter.com/ShamsCharania/status/1356353234609299456

Orlando could be sellers.
https://twitter.com/KeithSmithNBA/status/1356357013291339781

RE: AROUND the NBA: 18th roster spot only two-way player or vet as well? - KillerLeft - 02-01-2021

(02-01-2021, 04:57 PM)Tyler Wrote: Orlando could be sellers.

This would excite me, except I have a sneaky feeling Fournier is who they'd try to pry away. Can't say it wouldn't make the team better, but it sure wouldn't get me very excited.

(02-01-2021, 05:01 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: Fournier

Positive:

1. He absolutely fills the biggest need we have right now
2. He can't be expensive

Negative:
1. Doesn't play defense
2. He is much better than Burke but makes him totally redundant. Is Burke a positive asset?

I think the big question for Mavs lineup is - can they survive with two (DFS and JRich) weak shooters next to Luka and KP? Looking at last season, I think Burke decently replaced Curry shooting, so the problem is not in Curry leaving. It is in poor shooting next to Luka and KP, who are both shooting poorly too. But at least they spread the floor.

RE: AROUND the NBA: 18th roster spot only two-way player or vet as well? - cow - 02-01-2021

If you tried to wrangle Vucevic and Gordon does that make you too much like Orlando to be successful?

RE: AROUND the NBA: 18th roster spot only two-way player or vet as well? - MaxiThreeba - 02-01-2021

Christian Wood has quickly become one of my favorite guys to watch. What a cool journey to where he is too.

Wish he was a Mav instead of a filthy rockette

RE: AROUND the NBA: 18th roster spot only two-way player or vet as well? - SleepingHero - 02-01-2021

(02-01-2021, 06:22 PM)cow Wrote: Gordon does that make you too much like Orlando to be successful?

Gordon is now out for 4-6 weeks with a severe ankle sprain. So the answer to that question right now is no.

And I don't think Gordon will actually be available until next offseason once Issac returns.