MavsBoard
NBA Trade Rumors | - Printable Version

+- MavsBoard (https://www.mavsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Boards (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Dallas Mavericks and the NBA (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: NBA Trade Rumors | (/showthread.php?tid=281)

RE: NBA Trade Rumors (Stein: Jrue Holiday available via trade) - Scott41theMavs - 12-17-2019

(12-17-2019, 02:16 PM)ClutchDirk Wrote: https://twitter.com/TheSteinLine/status/1207012351704219656

Give me Holiday.

RE: NBA Trade Rumors (Stein: Jrue Holiday available via trade) - fifteenth - 12-17-2019

(12-17-2019, 02:22 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: Give me Holiday

Christmas is right around the corner!

RE: NBA Trade Rumors (Stein: Jrue Holiday available via trade) - cow - 12-17-2019

Don't think we have the ammo to get Jrue, at least not at the TDL.

RE: NBA Trade Rumors (Stein: Jrue Holiday available via trade) - BigDirk41 - 12-17-2019

(12-17-2019, 02:35 PM)cow Wrote: Don't think we have the ammo to get Jrue, at least not at the TDL.
Would Curry, Brunson, Jackson, Lee, GSW 2nd round pick and our 2025 first get it done? That's a pretty good package with the picks.

RE: NBA Trade Rumors (Stein: Jrue Holiday available via trade) - StepBackJay - 12-17-2019

(12-17-2019, 02:35 PM)cow Wrote: Don't think we have the ammo to get Jrue, at least not at the TDL.

We do have ammo now that players signed can be traded, that doesn't mean we have what NO wants. I'd love to get Favors and Jrue and just punt on 2021.

For Jrue you would float I guess a Curry-based trade. Curry and JJ Redick are somewhat redundant so I don't know if they would go for that. They would get another shooter and more cap space next summer if Mavs sent them Curry + Lee, filler and a 2nd pick.

RE: NBA Trade Rumors (Stein: Jrue Holiday available via trade) - Magickian - 12-17-2019

Okay sooooo I have been on the Iggy/Adams train since Preseason...

BUT... during the summer? I wanted us to try to trade for Jrue... Jrue is huge target I want next to Luka. I think he would be the perfect defensive guard that we imagined DSJ could be next to Luka. 

Jrue
Luka
Iggy
KP
Adams 
(the above is more about defensive lineups... obviously Luka is the actual PG on offense)

That would be my absolute dream lineup, that I think is not outside of reach. Jrue is the biggest get. Adams might be hard to get after giving up the assets for Jrue... but Iggy should be easiest to nab. 

The defense in that lineup, the spacing, the ball handling/movement, the ability to clean up the glass in our front court duo, and the ability to defend every position with this lineup... 

This lineup makes us contenders IMO... 

2025 1st Pick, THJ, GS 2nd, Mavs 2nd, Justin Jackson

That would get us Jrue... I doubt any team is going to beat that. That is nearly two first round draft picks plus a second, THJ and JJ for Jrue? its a solid pickup, and saves them a ton of money. 

2x 2nds, Lee, for Iggy

Then you have a bit of a glut at guard... you could spare either Curry or Delon or Brunson as a piece to pry Adams away... 

I keep hearing people say RoCo and yes I would like him too but I don't see it. I dont think he is coming here. The above are all reasonable targets, and I think we have the assets to get them all now... 

Adams will be the hardest to get after gutting the cupboard for Jrue... but I still think it is possible... Iggy should be a no brainer... we need to pick him up 

Jrue could be had... and I don't think any team is going to beat the above offer for him

RE: NBA Trade Rumors (Stein: Jrue Holiday available via trade) - StepBackJay - 12-17-2019

(12-17-2019, 02:50 PM)BigDirk41 Wrote:
Would Curry, Brunson, Jackson, Lee, GSW 2nd round pick and our 2025 first get it done? That's a pretty good package with the picks.

One thing with uneven players is you have to consider whether or not NO has guys they want to cut or ship back for incoming players. I think in this scenario Moore would get cut and then you still have to find two more cuts even if you plan on cutting Lee shortly thereafter. Okafor is a guy you might be able to cut and bring back if NO likes him at vet min. I don't know ab guys at the end of their bench. But you don't see a lot of 4 for 1 player trades.

RE: NBA Trade Rumors (Stein: Jrue Holiday available via trade) - cow - 12-17-2019

I think you'd need a 1st for Jrue and I don't think a 2025 first would be attractive to either team. At/After the draft seems like a time to swing for the fences with your 2020 first/GSW 2nd.

On the subject of the Pels, I'm curious what happens with Ingram.

RE: NBA Trade Rumors (Stein: Jrue Holiday available via trade) - BigDirk41 - 12-17-2019

(12-17-2019, 02:57 PM)StepBackJay Wrote:

One thing with uneven players is you have to consider whether or not NO has guys they want to cut or ship back for incoming players. I think in this scenario Moore would get cut and then you still have to find two more cuts even if you plan on cutting Lee shortly thereafter. Okafor is a guy you might be able to cut and bring back if NO likes him at vet min. I don't know ab guys at the end of their bench. But you don't see a lot of 4 for 1 player trades.
Lee is purely a salary filler, not someone they would desire other than the savings from his expiring so it's really more of a 3 for 1 as far as players they would use, but I understand what you're saying. Maybe we could add more salary to get Favors also.

I also don't like the idea of punting on 2021 for once. Not saying you can land Giannis, but people are going to want to play with Luka and a three headed monster is attractive to a lot of young superstars these days.

(12-17-2019, 03:10 PM)cow Wrote: I also don't like the idea of punting on 2021 for once.  Not saying you can land Giannis, but people are going to want to play with Luka and a three headed monster is attractive to a lot of young superstars these days.
As last off season showed, cap space doesn't mean shit if a player wants to come here. The key is to not make dumb moves and only aquire movable contracts. Players can be moved to get that space if needed. Giannis is never coming here. That's like other fans thinking they could sign Dirk from us. Not happening. I know you didn't say we would sign Giannis, but others think so for some reason.

RE: NBA Trade Rumors (Woj: Mavs want a Big Physical Presence next to KP) - michaeltex - 12-17-2019

(12-17-2019, 12:52 PM)ClutchDirk Wrote: https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/1206979620903497728

The obvious choice could be the Dallas Mavericks (17-8). Luka Doncic has turned them into one of the best teams in the West (although he’ll be sidelined for some time with an ankle injury). Using Courtney Lee as salary ballast along with either draft considerations or one or two of the Mavericks' younger players might entice Memphis.
"Look for Dallas to be active before the trade deadline," an Eastern Conference executive said.
Not only would Iguodala help the Mavericks' 14th-ranked defense, but he’d also serve as a secondary ball-handler to take pressure off Doncic. Plus, acquiring Iguodala would keep him from joining their L.A. rivals.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2867227-insiders-scout-nba-trade-market-why-cp3-is-unmovable-trae-young-needs-love

I think Iguodala would be a mistake. His reputation is from a few years ago and I think he's been in a slow decline for the last few years. I mean this is his 16th season and I feel like, unless it's just Lee and a 2nd, then it's a waste of resources and phone time. Our 3rd and 4th contributors are through rotation, one night it's Curry, one night it's DFS, one night it's THJ, etc. etc. A big contribution comes from guys relaxing in that they are welcome and wanted and have a chance to figure out how to best contribute to a winning team.

I know it's a business and trades are part of the business, but the successful teams don't churn their rosters much during the season. Right now, DAL has a team that can compete (and beat) anybody in the league. I wouldn't want to mess up what is building here to take a flyer on someone who isn't actively playing now.

(12-17-2019, 03:07 PM)BigDirk41 Wrote:

Lee is purely a salary filler, not someone they would desire other than the savings from his expiring so it's really more of a 3 for 1 as far as players they would use, but I understand what you're saying. Maybe we could add more salary to get Favors also.

Right but the receiving team still has to make cuts so you have to make sure what they are getting is worth them cutting potentially 3 players before Lee gets bought out. Remember we had to cut Mejri in the Sacramento trade and then bring him back afterwards. If you have a lopsided trade in terms of players incoming and outgoing you need to account for that. Favors would make the problem worse bc you have to find even more salary filler which means the trade might even be more lopsided. Maybe the Pelicans have 4 guys they can easily cut, I have no idea really but sometimes teams have draft picks and whatnot at the end of their bench they don't want to cut.

(12-17-2019, 03:22 PM)StepBackJay Wrote:
(12-17-2019, 03:07 PM)BigDirk41 Wrote:

Right but the receiving team still has to make cuts so you have to make sure what they are getting is worth them cutting potentially 3 players before Lee gets bought out. Remember we had to cut Mejri in the Sacramento trade and then bring him back afterwards. If you have a lopsided trade in terms of players incoming and outgoing you need to account for that. Favors would make the problem worse bc you have to find even more salary filler which means the trade might even be more lopsided. Maybe the Pelicans have 4 guys they can easily cut, I have no idea really but sometimes teams have draft picks and whatnot at the end of their bench they don't want to cut.
My bad. I see what you're saying.

(12-17-2019, 03:10 PM)cow Wrote: I also don't like the idea of punting on 2021 for once.  Not saying you can land Giannis, but people are going to want to play with Luka and a three headed monster is attractive to a lot of young superstars these days.

Jrue is one of those 2021 targets so you aren't really punting, just doing your shopping early before Jrue is 31 years old. With that in mind I would give up just ab any combo of players to get him outside of KP/Luka. I think NO will want picks and/or young talent but not sure who outside of the Mavs has the ammo they want to cash in for Holiday?

Looking at https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2867419-jrue-holiday-trade-rumors-pelicans-making-pg-available-cost-is-significant

The Heat would be interesting depending on how highly Pels value a guy like Tyler Herro being part of that package. Mavs have a little bit more in the picks department.

The Nuggets doing some type of Harris for Holiday trade seems like that might make sense for both teams since the Nuggets would get an upgrade and the Pels would get a younger player that fits in better with their overall window of when they want to be good.

RE: NBA Trade Rumors (Stein: Jrue Holiday available via trade) - ItsGoTime - 12-17-2019

Stil, don’t understand why doing anything now is punting on anytime in the future. If you get better players, that is just better and easier to do what we want to do in the future. I’m good with turning our over abundance of rotation players into higher end players. The future can be sorted out when we get there.

(12-17-2019, 03:25 PM)StepBackJay Wrote:

Jrue is one of those 2021 targets so you aren't really punting, just doing your shopping early before Jrue is 31 years old. With that in mind I would give up just ab any combo of players to get him outside of KP/Luka. I think NO will want picks and/or young talent but not sure who outside of the Mavs has the ammo they want to cash in for Holiday?

Our cupboard is a little bare in the 1st round pick department.  Jalen is probably our best young/cheap asset but I see him more as a quality backup than a starter on a quality team.  Next best assets are probably Seth and Maxi.  Sprinkle in a little Justin Jackson.  With the way teams value draft picks, I think that's the route NO would opt to go.

(12-17-2019, 03:33 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote: Stil, don’t understand why doing anything now is punting on anytime in the future. If you get better players, that is just better and easier to do what we want to do in the future. I’m good with turning our over abundance of rotation players into higher end players. The future can be sorted out when we get there.

Well, you are just going to be able to upgrade your rotational players without spending draft capitol or taking on a bad contract in return.  I do think the Mavs will make moves by the trade deadline but I don't expect a big name to be coming here mostly because I don't think we have the capital for that kind of shopping.  I'd love to be wrong.

(12-17-2019, 03:36 PM)cow Wrote: Our cupboard is a little bare in the 1st round pick department.  Jalen is probably our best young/cheap asset but I see him more as a quality backup than a starter on a quality team.  Next best assets are probably Seth and Maxi.  Sprinkle in a little Justin Jackson.  With the way teams value draft picks, I think that's the route NO would opt to go.

I wouldn't say the cupboard is bare. That GSW pick is like a late first round pick. I think if you are NO you want young players. I am not even sure Seth makes sense as he is 29. The best young assets we could package would be DFS, Jackson and Brunson + that GSW pick. I would not include Maxi bc he is much harder to replace in my opinion than DFS even though I do love DFS. NO would get 3 young players under contract for multiple years. New Orleans would probably start DFS and let Ingram be their PG with Redick as the other guard, Favors and Zion when he gets back.

(12-17-2019, 03:33 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote: Stil, don’t understand why doing anything now is punting on anytime in the future. If you get better players, that is just better and easier to do what we want to do in the future. I’m good with turning our over abundance of rotation players into higher end players. The future can be sorted out when we get there.

They would punt on 2021 if they get a third star or core guy and I think Jrue would qualify because of his skillset that perfectly compliments Luka. Absent a star-type that falls in their laps they will go big fish hunting in 2021. I do not expect them to sign anyone to multiyear deals this summer bc of 2021.

RE: NBA Trade Rumors (Stein: Jrue Holiday available via trade) - DrMav - 12-17-2019

The mental image I have of Jrue is that he would be a perfect fit in the backcourt with Luka as a secondary ball handler with great defense, but is he still that guy?  

OBPM and DPBM are both down this year. Do we think that is in part because he's on a bad team? My limited eye test of watching him play against our guys 3 times this year didn't really sell me on him still being that guy, but again that's limited.

(12-17-2019, 03:44 PM)StepBackJay Wrote:
(12-17-2019, 03:36 PM)cow Wrote: Our cupboard is a little bare in the 1st round pick department.  Jalen is probably our best young/cheap asset but I see him more as a quality backup than a starter on a quality team.  Next best assets are probably Seth and Maxi.  Sprinkle in a little Justin Jackson.  With the way teams value draft picks, I think that's the route NO would opt to go.

I wouldn't say the cupboard is bare. That GSW pick is like a late first round pick. I think if you are NO you want young players. I am not even sure Seth makes sense as he is 29. The best young assets we could package would be DFS, Jackson and Brunson + that GSW pick. I would not include Maxi bc he is much harder to replace in my opinion than DFS even though I do love DFS. NO would get 3 young players under contract for multiple years. New Orleans would probably start DFS and let Ingram be their PG with Redick as the other guard, Favors and Zion when he gets back.

I'd happily swap the GSW pick plus some of our young guys for Jrue, it just seems too good to be true.

p.s.  I think Ingram gets traded at the TDL.