MavsBoard
NBA Trade Rumors | - Printable Version

+- MavsBoard (https://www.mavsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Boards (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Dallas Mavericks and the NBA (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: NBA Trade Rumors | (/showthread.php?tid=281)

RE: NBA Trade Rumors | MIN "intensifying pursuit" of DAngelo - StepBackJay - 01-24-2020

I haven't watched a ton of Noah lately but I would venture to get any of these traditional center types will not be able to run out to the perimeter like Powell was. You see guys like Whiteside who are good players get killed by the Mavs who will just drain open 3's all day long.

My guess is that the Mavs would rather get another hybrid guy like Powell who can still rotate out to the perimeter.

RE: NBA Trade Rumors | MIN "intensifying pursuit" of DAngelo - DanSchwartzgan - 01-24-2020

(01-24-2020, 05:18 PM)DanSchwartzman Wrote: So, the trick is to find deals that use up most or all of the TPE with a second player coming in at a large spread over the outgoing salary.

As a for instance, Dallas could deal Wright and Lee for Otto Porter Jr.  They could also take Satoransky into their TPE.  That deal works and keeps them under the apron by a few hundred thousand.  HOWEVER, if they then try to add a center without first trading away someone like Roby, then there isn't room under the apron (or it would be exceedingly close).  

Is Satoransky a better fit here than Wright?  I think so.  Would it be nice to have a healthy Porter on the wing playing D and hitting 3's this season and next?  Would Chicago do the Satoransky deal in order to shed Porter?  Someone smarter than me will have to figure out who, if anyone, would get a pick in a deal like that, but it might explain the meaning behind the rumor.

Wanted to bump this in case it got missed in the Patton Frenzy.  

If you did something like Porter and Satoransky and then did a band-aid at center for the rest of the season, it would push you pretty close to the LT next season.  It doesn't have to be those players.  Just using the concept of using the TPE AND a trade with a spread over the outgoing salary to take on additional salary.

As Tyler said, getting rid of Roby's 2020 guarantee could have been a consideration too.

RE: NBA Trade Rumors | MIN "intensifying pursuit" of DAngelo - Jym - 01-24-2020

(01-24-2020, 05:43 PM)omahen Wrote:
(01-24-2020, 05:39 PM)ClutchDirk Wrote: If they pan out you can have 4 years of cheap contract...

And a couple of months is enough to pass the judgement? What changed in this 6 months from "giving him a 4 year contract" to worthless? On the other hand you have Bro expiring who you could just as easily cut without going into the troubles of executing a trade

Yeah the perk of a 2nd rounder is you can wait and see if they're worth a long term deal. 2 way them or let them play in Europe otherwise 
Just weird. Just keep shuffling future second rounders around as assets if you dont want the players in that range

RE: NBA Trade Rumors | MIN "intensifying pursuit" of DAngelo - Fuerza1 - 01-24-2020

Any chance MBT surprise us all and go young with a big? 

Claxton from Brooklyn is intriguing, a Powell starter kit. His minutes will be hard to come by with Allen, DAJ, Durant, etc. locked up for a few years. Any other potential youngsters riding pine out there?

RE: NBA Trade Rumors | MIN "intensifying pursuit" of DAngelo - vfromlmf - 01-24-2020

(01-24-2020, 05:46 PM)StepBackJay Wrote: My guess is that the Mavs would rather get another hybrid guy like Powell who can still rotate out to the perimeter.

Personally I think that "hybrid guy" is the big wing / forward type we heard the Mavs are looking for. 

In other words, don't think they'll try to replace Powell with another Powell. 

I think they add a starting forward via trade; and add bench depth at center via FA.

Love Dan's Sato + Porter idea btw

RE: NBA Trade Rumors | MIN "intensifying pursuit" of DAngelo - DanSchwartzgan - 01-24-2020

(01-24-2020, 05:43 PM)omahen Wrote:
(01-24-2020, 05:39 PM)ClutchDirk Wrote: If they pan out you can have 4 years of cheap contract...

And a couple of months is enough to pass the judgement? What changed in this 6 months from "giving him a 4 year contract" to worthless? On the other hand you have Bro expiring who you could just as easily cut without going into the troubles of executing a trade

Bro does Donnie's tax return...RFA.  You have to keep him through April.

RE: NBA Trade Rumors | MIN "intensifying pursuit" of DAngelo - Hypermav - 01-24-2020

(01-24-2020, 05:51 PM)vfromlmf Wrote: Personally I think that "hybrid guy" is the big wing / forward type we heard the Mavs are looking for. 
Love, kidding, sorta.

RE: NBA Trade Rumors | MIN "intensifying pursuit" of DAngelo - cow - 01-24-2020

(01-24-2020, 05:12 PM)vfromlmf Wrote: Hilarious, I was literally just watching highlights from Patton's 45 point outburst against the G League Lakers

https://gleague.nba.com/player/justin-patton/

This is an excellent move. Mavs aren't done. This is bench depth at center. But I love the upside here. 

EDIT: sounds like he may be upside for the waiver wire lol.

Anyone want to buy my barely used Mavs Patton Jersey?

RE: NBA Trade Rumors | MIN "intensifying pursuit" of DAngelo - omahen - 01-24-2020

(01-24-2020, 05:52 PM)DanSchwartzman Wrote: Bro does Donnie's tax return...RFA.  You have to keep him through April.

Smile

(01-24-2020, 05:51 PM)Jym Wrote: Yeah the perk of a 2nd rounder is you can wait and see if they're worth a long term deal. 2 way them

Exactly. I mean, if you are giving a long term contract, you should make sure he gets some minutes. If he is not good enough to play a couple of minutes here and there, he is just not good enough. It's not a big deal, I just hate wasting assets, even if minimum.

(01-24-2020, 05:55 PM)cow Wrote: Anyone want to buy my barely used Mavs Patton Jersey?

Keep it, this will be a very rare collectors item in a couple of years Smile

RE: NBA Trade Rumors | MIN "intensifying pursuit" of DAngelo - SleepingHero - 01-24-2020

(01-24-2020, 02:34 PM)omahen Wrote: Easy peasy. Lee and Curry for Porter, Markannen and Valentine in TPE for GSW 2nd. Who says no Smile

Mavs send out Curry and get back a whole lot of chuckers imo.

I love Markkannen but he's now out for 4-5 weeks with a stress reaction, which takes him out of any deals. And if the Bulls aren't giving us Markkanen I wouldn't want anything from their team.

Catching up on this thread but we are talking about OPJ again? I'm having flashback of the old board as one of the leaders of the OPJ opposition. No way Chicago deals LM, right?

(01-24-2020, 06:02 PM)SleepingHero Wrote:
(01-24-2020, 02:34 PM)omahen Wrote: Easy peasy. Lee and Curry for Porter, Markannen and Valentine in TPE for GSW 2nd. Who says no Smile

Mavs send out Curry and get back a whole lot of chuckers imo.

I love Markkannen but he's now out for 4-5 weeks with a stress reaction, which takes him out of any deals. And if the Bulls aren't giving us Markkanen I wouldn't want anything from their team.

We don't have the assets for him so you'd need to take something negative back to get him.

RE: NBA Trade Rumors | MIN "intensifying pursuit" of DAngelo - SleepingHero - 01-24-2020

(01-24-2020, 06:02 PM)cow Wrote: We don't have the assets for him so you'd need to take something negative back to get him.

Which is fair, but I don't Lauri is the guy that the Mavs should be trying to take back something negative for. He's great, but is he what the team really needs?

Either way, its moot now given that he's out at least a month. Mavs need production and aren't trading key players for someone on the injured list. 

Also I wrote that reply before I managed to catchup on the thread. Seems like the Mavs are making way for a 2-1 deal. I think they're honing in on either RoCo+Dieng, or Bogdon+Dedmon. 

I hope in any case they don't go trading Curry or Kleber. I feel like those 2 are the main pillars of our bench. Curry's shooting and Kleber's defense are skills that are incredibly hard to replace mid-season. 

RoCo would be theoretically the perfect role player if the Mavs want to run a lineup of Luka/THJ/DFS/RoCo/KP. Great mix of offense and defense.

RE: NBA Trade Rumors | MIN "intensifying pursuit" of DAngelo - vfromlmf - 01-24-2020

One thing to keep in mind on Porter. Bulls gave up injured Jabari Parker, bust Bobby Portis, and a protected 2023 second-round draft pick to get him. So they don't have a lot invested beyond the huge contract (which they haven't gotten any value out of).

Conceptually, I see value for both sides in a Wright for Sato swap, but I don't think this deal alone is needle moving for the Bulls. Adding an expiring Lee for Porter Jr saves the Bulls $15 million but their salary is already near the bottom of the league. I think the Mavs will have to add more value to get a deal done. Certainly a 2nd but probably Justin Jackson as well.

(01-24-2020, 06:12 PM)SleepingHero Wrote:
(01-24-2020, 06:02 PM)cow Wrote: We don't have the assets for him so you'd need to take something negative back to get him.

Which is fair, but I don't Lauri is the guy that the Mavs should be trying to take back something negative for. He's great, but is he what the team really needs?

Either way, its moot now given that he's out at least a month. Mavs need production and aren't trading key players for someone on the injured list. 

Also I wrote that reply before I managed to catchup on the thread. Seems like the Mavs are making way for a 2-1 deal. I think they're honing in on either RoCo+Dieng, or Bogdon+Dedmon. 

I hope in any case they don't go trading Curry or Kleber. I feel like those 2 are the main pillars of our bench. Curry's shooting and Kleber's defense are skills that are incredibly hard to replace mid-season. 

RoCo would be theoretically the perfect role player if the Mavs want to run a lineup of Luka/THJ/DFS/RoCo/KP. Great mix of offense and defense.

Let's start by saying that I don't think Chicago would entertain trading him.  I'm also operating out of the assumption that given our assets and talent, we can't move enough pieces around to be a contender this year.  

That's said, I don't care about the injury or fit.  I'm just looking at it from talent acquisition.  I'd pull the trigger.  Worst case is that you don't like the fit of Luka, LM and KP on the floor together and you have LM as a very attractive and affordable trade asset.  Imagine the spacing though.  

Re: Bogodon - Sounds like the Kings aren't entertaining offers.
Re:  RoCo - I'd still put my money on him being used to gather assets for D'Lo
Re: Maxi - he's off the table, we just don't have the depth to include him.
Re: Curry - I'd rather keep him than Bruson or Wright, but I do think one of those players needs to go.

(01-24-2020, 06:24 PM)cow Wrote: Let's start by saying that I don't think Chicago would entertain trading him.  I'm also operating out of the assumption that given our assets and talent, we can't move enough pieces around to be a contender this year.  

That's said, I don't care about the injury or fit.  I'm just looking at it from talent acquisition.  I'd pull the trigger.  Worst case is that you don't like the fit of Luka, LM and KP on the floor together and you have LM as a very attractive and affordable trade asset.  Imagine the spacing though.  

Re: Curry - I'd rather keep him than Bruson or Wright, but I do think one of those players needs to go.

Regarding whether or not CHI would entertain trading Lauri away; plenty of CHI own local media have been writing stories about giving away Lauri for a fresh start. As long as CHI gets out from a bad contract like Felicio and can get a pick back, I think they'd whole-heartedly entertain that deal. Especially because by their own local reporting the mood is that Lauri needs a fresh start and has been broken by Boylen, and he's a good enough asset to warrant a team taking on a bad contract.

So while I don't think Chicago is going to trade Lauri, especially after this injury, I wouldn't be surprised if they did (at least in the summer). 

And I understand from a talent acquisition standpoint the Mavs would be getting the best player in that hypothetical trade, but I feel like fit should be taken into account just as much if not more than talent acquisition regarding this deal. The Mavs this year are exceeding anyone's expectations. Even the most homers of homers (myself included) only had the Mavs topping out at 50 wins, with most people (Vegas included) having them finishing around 41. 

Now a lot of that can attributed to Luka's brilliance and Kristaps 2-way talent, but the fact that the Mavs have gelled so cohesively has almost certainly played a role as well. So I wouldn't be opposed to the Mavs trying to make a trade (as we just saw with WCS), I'd be wary about doing anything huge because it threatens the team chemistry we have. Unless it was for a bonafide star worth messing up that team chemistry, the Mavs shouldn't try to rock the boat, lest they mess something up and their role players aren't performing as well anymore. But Lauri isn't good enough to risk that team chemistry for.

RE: NBA Trade Rumors | MIN "intensifying pursuit" of DAngelo - ClutchDirk - 01-24-2020

(01-24-2020, 06:49 PM)SleepingHero Wrote:
(01-24-2020, 06:24 PM)cow Wrote:  do think one of those players needs to go.

Regarding whether or not CHI would entertain trading Lauri away; plenty of CHI own local media have been writing stories about giving away Lauri for a fresh start. As long as CHI gets out from a bad contract like Felicio and can get a pick back
Can confirm this to be true...

(01-24-2020, 06:49 PM)SleepingHero Wrote:
(01-24-2020, 06:24 PM)cow Wrote: Let's start by saying that I don't think Chicago would entertain trading him.  I'm also operating out of the assumption that given our assets and talent, we can't move enough pieces around to be a contender this year.  

Regarding whether or not CHI would entertain trading Lauri away; plenty of CHI own local media have been writing stories about giving away Lauri for a fresh start. As long as CHI gets out from a bad contract like Felicio and can get a pick back, I think they'd whole-heartedly entertain that deal. Especially because by their own local reporting the mood is that Lauri needs a fresh start and has been broken by Boylen, and he's a good enough asset to warrant a team taking on a bad contract.

So while I don't think Chicago is going to trade Lauri, especially after this injury, I wouldn't be surprised if they did (at least in the summer). 

And I understand from a talent acquisition standpoint the Mavs would be getting the best player in that hypothetical trade, but I feel like fit should be taken into account just as much if not more than talent acquisition regarding this deal. The Mavs this year are exceeding anyone's expectations. Even the most homers of homers (myself included) only had the Mavs topping out at 50 wins, with most people (Vegas included) having them finishing around 41. 

Now a lot of that can attributed to Luka's brilliance and Kristaps 2-way talent, but the fact that the Mavs have gelled so cohesively has almost certainly played a role as well. So I wouldn't be opposed to the Mavs trying to make a trade (as we just saw with WCS), I'd be wary about doing anything huge because it threatens the team chemistry we have. Unless it was for a bonafide star worth messing up that team chemistry, the Mavs shouldn't try to rock the boat, lest they mess something up and their role players aren't performing as well anymore. But Lauri isn't good enough to risk that team chemistry for.

We are over performing which is why I'm super cautious about the playoffs.  The west is worse than anyone thought it would be.  We could get to round two and that would be a huge accomplishment but I just can't see us advancing past that.  I just don't want to be stuck thinking about the here and now.  We need another piece to add to Luka/KP and if LM isn't it, he can get you a step closer.

I can respect not wanting to make changes, but we've started to see some cracks showing.   Wright, Bruson and Curry want to play more and there is a solution for that.  Further, I don't see how LM rocks the boat.  Offensively, he's great KP insurance.  Maybe the bad contract you have to acquire does that but you could relegate that person to the Lee role.

RE: NBA Trade Rumors | MIN "intensifying pursuit" of DAngelo - jesusshuttlesworth82 - 01-24-2020

I dont see how Markkanen would hurt team chemistry.  If anything, shouldn't you be more concerned with WCS hurting team chemistry?  Markkanen has the best shooting stroke I've ever seen in a ~7 footer.  I'm just talking mechanically.  Mavs should still be in the talent acquisition business.

I doubt it's on the radar though with his injury and all the resources we have committed to bigs.

RE: NBA Trade Rumors | MIN "intensifying pursuit" of DAngelo - Scott41theMavs - 01-24-2020

(01-24-2020, 08:51 PM)jesusshuttlesworth82 Wrote: I dont see how Markkanen would hurt team chemistry. If anything, shouldn't you be more concerned with WCS hurting team chemistry? Markkanen has the best shooting stroke I've ever seen in a ~7 footer. I'm just talking mechanically. Mavs should still be in the talent acquisition business.

I doubt it's on the radar though with his injury and ***all the resources we have committed to bigs.***

This narrative (inside the stars) needs to go bye-bye. It has little to do with the Mavs' current situation. For the next four and a half years, we need to think of Dwight Powell as $10 mil in dead money on our cap (because that's what he is now) as opposed to a frontcourt investment. The Mavs need to spend on what they believe will help them win.

(01-24-2020, 08:51 PM)jesusshuttlesworth82 Wrote: I dont see how Markkanen would hurt team chemistry.  If anything, shouldn't you be more concerned with WCS hurting team chemistry?  Markkanen has the best shooting stroke I've ever seen in a ~7 footer.  I'm just talking mechanically.  Mavs should still be in the talent acquisition business.

I doubt it's on the radar though with his injury and all the resources we have committed to bigs.

What I meant by team chemistry is that everyone is currently playing a role. And they are thriving in it. Our bench especially. Maxi, Seth, Brunson, Wright. Its working. Yes some are angling for more minutes but at the end of the day at least for this year our bench is clicking. 

In the hypothetical trade, we blew up our bench and the roles they are playing to bring in Lauri. Thus shifting everyone's role midseason and would make them adjust to something new. Could it go smoothly and we get better? Sure. But how much better? The Mavs are on a 52 win pace, and that's with injuries to our best players. And it also could go horribly wrong and the wheels come off ala Rondo (not saying the same thing would happen, just saying the team would start to underperform). Is it worth to risk all of that for a guy like Lauri? I don't think so. That was my main point. I have no doubts that Lauri would thrive here and fit in culturally, but to torpedo our depth to bring him in is just not worth it.

Regarding WCS, I'm more worried about RC never playing him than him not fitting in with the team. Bringing him in was a precise move to fill a hole that opened up that we desperately needed. No one's roles are changing for WCS.