MavsBoard
NBA Trade Rumors | - Printable Version

+- MavsBoard (https://www.mavsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Boards (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Dallas Mavericks and the NBA (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: NBA Trade Rumors | (/showthread.php?tid=281)

RE: NBA Trade Rumors | MIN "intensifying pursuit" of DAngelo - sefant - 01-24-2020

(01-24-2020, 01:15 PM)omahen Wrote: I wonder if we can jump in. Horford is good player but his contract is horrible for his age. Would OKC really want it without draft compensation? However, Horford is basically perfect for us from team building point of view. How about:

OKC: Lee, THJ
Dal: Horford, Ferguson, draft compensation from Philly (or young player like Thybulle while we give them Bro in this case)
Phi: CP3
Wouldn't touch the Horford contract without Thybullle.

RE: NBA Trade Rumors | MIN "intensifying pursuit" of DAngelo - ItsGoTime - 01-24-2020

(01-24-2020, 02:34 PM)omahen Wrote:
(01-24-2020, 02:13 PM)ClutchDirk Wrote: The Bulls would love to trade Porter

Easy peasy. Lee and Curry for Porter, Markannen and Valentine in TPE for GSW 2nd. Who says no Smile
Lets take that a step further

Lee, THJ and Wright for OPJ, Satoranski and Markannen or WCJ, their pick (I prefer WCJ with this team). I’d even throw in GSW to make that happen.

RE: NBA Trade Rumors | MIN "intensifying pursuit" of DAngelo - Scott41theMavs - 01-24-2020

(01-24-2020, 03:31 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote:
(01-24-2020, 02:34 PM)omahen Wrote:
(01-24-2020, 02:13 PM)ClutchDirk Wrote: The Bulls would love to trade Porter

Easy peasy. Lee and Curry for Porter, Markannen and Valentine in TPE for GSW 2nd. Who says no Smile
Lets take that a step further

Lee, THJ and Wright for OPJ, Satoranski and Markannen or WCJ, their pick (I prefer WCJ with this team). I’d even throw in GSW to make that happen.

LOLOLOLOL how magnanimous of you.

I hate hearing that the Mavs' strategy is to sign a center off the street. That player is going to be a spare. We needed a spare before the injury to shore things up. With Powell injured (and likely coming back far diminished), what the Mavs need is a genuine replacement for Powell. That means a trade.

They need to trade for a wing using either Lee or the TPE with sweeteners, and use whichever of Lee and the TPE they didn't use for the wing along with sweeteners to get a center. *Then* they can sign a spare center off the street.

RE: NBA Trade Rumors | MIN "intensifying pursuit" of DAngelo - omahen - 01-24-2020

(01-24-2020, 03:31 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote: Markannen

Now he is also injured. Value even lower?

https://twitter.com/ShamsCharania/status/1220808716699807744?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1220808716699807744&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fbleacherreport.com%2Fnba

RE: NBA Trade Rumors | MIN "intensifying pursuit" of DAngelo - ItsGoTime - 01-24-2020

(01-24-2020, 04:06 PM)omahen Wrote:
(01-24-2020, 03:31 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote: Markannen

Now he is also injured. Value even lower?

https://twitter.com/ShamsCharania/status/1220808716699807744?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1220808716699807744&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fbleacherreport.com%2Fnba
Not enough pelvic thrust exercises.

RE: NBA Trade Rumors | MIN "intensifying pursuit" of DAngelo - Tyler - 01-24-2020

(01-24-2020, 02:37 PM)DanSchwartzman Wrote:
Quote:From Shams Charania inside pass:

Rival teams say that the Mavericks are aiming to clear a roster spot for flexibility, first via trade. Dallas has opened up talks in the market place to acquire a wing player and a center, the latter of which could come in the free-agent space.
Do you interpret that to mean Trade for a wing and sign a center off the street or after players are waived?

Without the full context, I could read this two ways.  

1) Dallas wants to make a trade to clear a roster spot first, which would give them the flexibility to bring back more players than they send out.  

2) Dallas wants to also create an extra roster spot in any trade they're considering, which would give them the flexibility to make some other move (dabble in the buyout market, bring in an overseas player, etc).  

The main point I'm getting is that they want to clear a roster spot but prefer to do it via trade than to simply cut a guy.  Maybe they're looking at some deals that get them close to the luxury tax and they need to carefully manage the payroll.

RE: NBA Trade Rumors | MIN "intensifying pursuit" of DAngelo - vfromlmf - 01-24-2020

I read the Mavs strategy is in-line with what they were planning to do whether Powell got hurt or not, which I think is exactly the right move. The Mavs are in no hurry to make a desperation short term move. 

The Mavs are building a dream team and it starts with the most difficult position to fill, an MVP caliber point guard. Check.

The next hardest position to fill - especially in today's NBA - is center, and I strongly believe that's the right long term position for KP. Center is KP's unicorn position and he's a perfect fit for the role in the modern NBA. He can shoot, drive, pass a little, come off screens like a shooting guard, run an Iverson cut. Basically, he's unguardable and teams just have to hope he misses shots. On defense he's a dominant rim protector and underrated rebounder. Importantly he takes those big beefy dinosaur centers like McGee and Dwight Howard out of the game. Center, check.

Guards and wings are extremely valuable but I'd argue the Mavs have plenty of serviceable pieces already on the roster. 

What is lacking is a big forward/wing with size next to KP, and everyone around the team is saying the same thing. 

I read the article from Shams that the Mavs are looking to open up a roster spot as suggesting the Mavs have their sights on a possible 2 for 1 that might entail bringing a player (bad contract?) into the TE to facilitate a 1 for 1 or 2 for 2 swap of some sort. Opening up a roster spot certainly suggests the TE may be in play which is a good thing.

Regarding backfilling for Powell, I think the Mavs long term plan might have been for Powell to eventually move back to the bench anyway, so finding a center to provide depth behind KP is a much lower priority need, especially with Kleber playing so well and Boban capable of excellent spot minutes.

RE: NBA Trade Rumors | MIN "intensifying pursuit" of DAngelo - DanSchwartzgan - 01-24-2020

(01-24-2020, 04:30 PM)Tyler Wrote: The main point I'm getting is that they want to clear a roster spot but prefer to do it via trade than to simply cut a guy.  Maybe they're looking at some deals that get them close to the luxury tax and they need to carefully manage the payroll.

This is where my mind went once I had a moment to think about it.  Dallas is $12mm under the LT and would get hard capped if they took on an additional $16mm.  If they take someone into the TPE at $11.8mm and do a $5mm spread in a deal at the same time, that is $16.8mm.  You could actually go over $5mm in a deal that is large enough to count at a 125% spread (like Wright + Lee for Drummond which uses the 125% spread).  Then you have to account for the minimum wage center you add.  It is quite conceivable that trading someone, instead of cutting them, could matter in the legality of a deal with the hard cap in play. 

So, the trick is to find deals that use up most or all of the TPE with a second player coming in at a large spread over the outgoing salary.

(01-24-2020, 04:41 PM)vfromlmf Wrote:  
I read the article from Shams that the Mavs are looking to open up a roster spot as suggesting the Mavs have their sights on a possible 2 for 1 that might entail bringing a player (bad contract?) into the TE to facilitate a 1 for 1 or 2 for 2 swap of some sort. Opening up a roster spot certainly suggests the TE may be in play which is a good thing.

Great minds...

RE: NBA Trade Rumors | MIN "intensifying pursuit" of DAngelo - omahen - 01-24-2020

(01-24-2020, 04:41 PM)vfromlmf Wrote: I read the article from Shams that the Mavs are looking to open up a roster spot as suggesting the Mavs have their sights on a possible 2 for 1 that might entail bringing a player (bad contract?) into the TE to facilitate a 1 for 1 or 2 for 2 swap of some sort. Opening up a roster spot certainly suggests the TE may be in play which is a good thing.

While I hope this would be the case, he also said Mavs are looking at free agent solutions for the centre position

RE: NBA Trade Rumors | MIN "intensifying pursuit" of DAngelo - fifteenth - 01-24-2020

(01-24-2020, 04:42 PM)DanSchwartzman Wrote: Great minds...

Two of the best reads on the forum!

RE: NBA Trade Rumors | MIN "intensifying pursuit" of DAngelo - DallasMavs412004 - 01-24-2020

(01-24-2020, 05:06 PM)fifteenth Wrote:
(01-24-2020, 04:42 PM)DanSchwartzman Wrote: Great minds...

Two of the best reads on the forum!

Shams 

Dallas is trading Isaiah Roby to OKC fot Justin Patton and cash considerations

RE: NBA Trade Rumors | MIN "intensifying pursuit" of DAngelo - vfromlmf - 01-24-2020

Hilarious, I was literally just watching highlights from Patton's 45 point outburst against the G League Lakers

https://gleague.nba.com/player/justin-patton/

This is an excellent move. Mavs aren't done. This is bench depth at center. But I love the upside here. 

EDIT: sounds like he may be upside for the waiver wire lol.

RE: NBA Trade Rumors | MIN "intensifying pursuit" of DAngelo - DallasMavs412004 - 01-24-2020

Brad Townsend
@townbrad
·
2m
We just landed in SLC, catching up, told the Roby-for-Patton move is clearing roster spot for potential future move. Patton will be waived.

What do we have brewing??

RE: NBA Trade Rumors | MIN "intensifying pursuit" of DAngelo - Aussiebballer - 01-24-2020

Was just about to say the cash along with Patton seemed like they could use it to wave him.

RE: NBA Trade Rumors | MIN "intensifying pursuit" of DAngelo - DanSchwartzgan - 01-24-2020

(01-24-2020, 04:42 PM)DanSchwartzman Wrote:
(01-24-2020, 04:30 PM)Tyler Wrote: The main point I'm getting is that they want to clear a roster spot but prefer to do it via trade than to simply cut a guy.  Maybe they're looking at some deals that get them close to the luxury tax and they need to carefully manage the payroll.

This is where my mind went once I had a moment to think about it.  Dallas is $12mm under the LT and would get hard capped if they took on an additional $16mm.  If they take someone into the TPE at $11.8mm and do a $5mm spread in a deal at the same time, that is $16.8mm.  You could actually go over $5mm in a deal that is large enough to count at a 125% spread (like Wright + Lee for Drummond which uses the 125% spread).  Then you have to account for the minimum wage center you add.  It is quite conceivable that trading someone, instead of cutting them, could matter in the legality of a deal with the hard cap in play. 

So, the trick is to find deals that use up most or all of the TPE with a second player coming in at a large spread over the outgoing salary.

As a for instance, Dallas could deal Wright and Lee for Otto Porter Jr.  They could also take Satoransky into their TPE.  That deal works and keeps them under the apron by a few hundred thousand.  HOWEVER, if they then try to add a center without first trading away someone like Roby, then there isn't room under the apron (or it would be exceedingly close).  

Is Satoransky a better fit here than Wright?  I think so.  Would it be nice to have a healthy Porter on the wing playing D and hitting 3's this season and next?  Would Chicago do the Satoransky deal in order to shed Porter?  Someone smarter than me will have to figure out who, if anyone, would get a pick in a deal like that, but it might explain the meaning behind the rumor.

(01-24-2020, 05:16 PM)Aussiebballer Wrote: Was just about to say the cash along with Patton seemed like they could use it to wave him.

He looks like he can play, but he fouls a lot. He's certainly not NBA ready but there is upside there so if they're indeed waiving him ... another shoe about to drop?

RE: NBA Trade Rumors | MIN "intensifying pursuit" of DAngelo - Tyler - 01-24-2020

(01-24-2020, 05:15 PM)DallasMavs412004 Wrote: Brad Townsend
@townbrad
·
2m
We just landed in SLC, catching up, told the Roby-for-Patton move is clearing roster spot for potential future move. Patton will be waived.

The deal actually adds $100k in salary this year.  But it saves $1.5mm next year.  My read is that they planned to waive Roby but preferred to not eat the salary if they could help it.  Which makes perfect sense, even if it doesn't tell us much about the next move.

RE: NBA Trade Rumors | MIN "intensifying pursuit" of DAngelo - Aussiebballer - 01-24-2020

They must h have a trade or signing lined up to follow this.

Or they could have drafted someone useful in the 2nd round.

RE: NBA Trade Rumors | MIN "intensifying pursuit" of DAngelo - aguiar95 - 01-24-2020

Townsend says they will waive Patton and sounds like they will go for a Free Agent.

(01-24-2020, 05:15 PM)DallasMavs412004 Wrote: Brad Townsend
@townbrad
·
2m

Spotrac says Patton was only $700k guaranteed.  He's earned that already, so my presumption is we save current year space by waiving Patton.  Makes it seem the need to clear may be more LT/Hard Cap related than roster spot related.