MavsBoard
NBA Trade Rumors | - Printable Version

+- MavsBoard (https://www.mavsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Boards (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Dallas Mavericks and the NBA (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: NBA Trade Rumors | (/showthread.php?tid=281)

RE: NBA Trade Rumors | MIN "intensifying pursuit" of DAngelo - BasketballJones41 - 01-22-2020

(01-22-2020, 06:11 PM)ClutchDirk Wrote: https://twitter.com/espn_macmahon/status/1220120415026237440
What’s the rule in regards to signing overseas players? Could we sign Mirotic or Koufos even though they’re currently under contract with European teams?

RE: NBA Trade Rumors | MIN "intensifying pursuit" of DAngelo - ClutchDirk - 01-22-2020

The 39-6 Milwaukee Bucks have the best record in the NBA and have refuted a report that they would be willing to deal guard Eric Bledsoe if offered an enticing return package.

"We have no talked to any teams about trading [Bledsoe], since the day that we traded for him," Bucks general manager Jon Horst told Bleacher Report's Howard Beck. "And I think it's evident, pretty strongly, in the fact that we extended Eric, what he means to us. The fact that we currently have the best record in the NBA, had the best record last year in the NBA, he's an All-NBA First Team defender and a guy that we feel strongly should be an All-Star for the Milwaukee Bucks this year. We have not had those conversations, and we are not going to trade Eric Bledsoe."

RE: NBA Trade Rumors | MIN "intensifying pursuit" of DAngelo - SleepingHero - 01-22-2020

(01-22-2020, 06:11 PM)ClutchDirk Wrote: https://twitter.com/espn_macmahon/status/1220120415026237440

I don't mind Noah. At worst they can throw him a non-guaranteed contract and see what happens. If Noah gets injured they can cut ties quickly. But if he is healthy like he was in Memphis he'd be a big energy boon and above average defensive player.

Problem is, Noah doesn't play like Powell at all. He isn't an elite rim runner. 

The way I'm reading this MacMahon tweet is that the Mavs would like Noah, but are concerned more with fit rather than health, and are exploring all avenues before they make a choice.

RE: NBA Trade Rumors | MIN "intensifying pursuit" of DAngelo - Scott41theMavs - 01-22-2020

I wouldn't mind a G-League center, as long as he's the big man equivalent of Yogi Ferrell.

I wouldn't mind an overseas center, if he were the guy who ruined our tank with the unwanted game-winner last year.

(01-22-2020, 05:39 PM)TXBamanut Wrote: This may be why, Scott41

https://chicago.suntimes.com/bulls/2020/1/21/21076009/bulls-lauri-markkanen-offense-breakdown

Rick Carlisle might not be the right coach to fix a guy whose career problem is that he was Rick Carlisled.

RE: NBA Trade Rumors | MIN "intensifying pursuit" of DAngelo - TXBamanut - 01-22-2020

(01-22-2020, 07:38 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: I wouldn't mind a G-League center, as long as he's the big man equivalent of Yogi Ferrell.

I wouldn't mind an overseas center, if he were the guy who ruined our tank with the unwanted game-winner last year.

https://chicago.suntimes.com/bulls/2020/1/21/21076009/bulls-lauri-markkanen-offense-breakdown

Rick Carlisle might not be the right coach to fix a guy whose career problem is that he was Rick Carlisled.

I will say this...Rick has a way of taking players who've been thrown on the scrap heap, either by being undrafted, misused or whatever and rebuilding them into something.  Sometimes, guys have to be broken to be fixed.

RE: NBA Trade Rumors | MIN "intensifying pursuit" of DAngelo - Scott41theMavs - 01-22-2020

(01-22-2020, 10:44 PM)TXBamanut Wrote:
(01-22-2020, 07:38 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: I wouldn't mind a G-League center, as long as he's the big man equivalent of Yogi Ferrell.

I will say this...Rick has a way of taking players who've been thrown on the scrap heap, either by being undrafted, misused or whatever and rebuilding them into something. Sometimes, guys have to be broken to be fixed.

That's true! I was referring more to the article talking about how the midrange was Lauri's game and the Bulls "broke him" with analytics on the value of the 3 - same thing Rick is doing this year.

RE: NBA Trade Rumors | MIN "intensifying pursuit" of DAngelo - TXBamanut - 01-22-2020

(01-22-2020, 10:52 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote:
(01-22-2020, 10:44 PM)TXBamanut Wrote:

I will say this...Rick has a way of taking players who've been thrown on the scrap heap, either by being undrafted, misused or whatever and rebuilding them into something.  Sometimes, guys have to be broken to be fixed.

That's true! I was referring more to the article talking about how the midrange was Lauri's game and the Bulls "broke him" with analytics on the value of the 3 - same thing Rick is doing this year.

Gotcha, my bad.  Didn't really read the article..that I posted...just read the headline and assumed.... and there's the problem.  lol

RE: NBA Trade Rumors | MIN "intensifying pursuit" of DAngelo - HanspardsShowerVoice - 01-23-2020

What "broke" LM is having to stand there and watch Zach LaVine ball hog without any ability to get into the offensive flow. Ryen Russeillo and Bill Simmons were breaking down LaVine's crunch time usage numbers recently and they were ridiculous. He immediately gets "fixed" when Carlisle gives him a clearly defined role based on his strengths, and Luka is drawing all the attention and distributing the ball to him with wide open looks.

RE: NBA Trade Rumors | MIN "intensifying pursuit" of DAngelo - ItsGoTime - 01-23-2020

(01-23-2020, 10:42 AM)HanspardsShowerVoice Wrote: What "broke" LM is having to stand there and watch Zach LaVine ball hog without any ability to get into the offensive flow.  Ryen Russeillo and Bill Simmons were breaking down LaVine's crunch time usage numbers recently and they were ridiculous.  He immediately gets "fixed" when Carlisle gives him a clearly defined role based on his strengths, and  Luka is drawing all the attention and distributing the ball to him with wide open looks.
I wonder what Luka's crunch time usage numbers look like?

RE: NBA Trade Rumors | MIN "intensifying pursuit" of DAngelo - HanspardsShowerVoice - 01-23-2020

[quote pid='22496' dateline='1579795197']
(01-23-2020, 10:42 AM)HanspardsShowerVoice Wrote: What "broke" LM is having to stand there and watch Zach LaVine ball hog without any ability to get into the offensive flow.  Ryen Russeillo and Bill Simmons were breaking down LaVine's crunch time usage numbers recently and they were ridiculous.  He immediately gets "fixed" when Carlisle gives him a clearly defined role based on his strengths, and  Luka is drawing all the attention and distributing the ball to him with wide open looks.
[/quote]

I'm not sure but I do know Luka is at about 10 assists per 36 minutes and LaVine is 3.8 with all that usage, so it's not like the Mavs players are all standing off to the side  checking their phones while Luka trying to be a homeless man's James Harden like LaVine's teammates     9.

RE: NBA Trade Rumors | MIN "intensifying pursuit" of DAngelo - ItsGoTime - 01-23-2020

(01-23-2020, 11:05 AM)HanspardsShowerVoice Wrote:
(01-23-2020, 10:59 AM)ItsGoTime Wrote:

I'm not sure but I do know Luka is at about 10 assists per 36 minutes and LaVine is 3.8.  9.
The point was, crunch time stats aren't what should be looked at esp since the point you seemed to be making was LM not being able to get into the offensive flow. I will say, this has been a knock in the past of Luka's usage throughout the game. Luka is at 37% while LaVine is at 31%. Does that make up for the extra assists? Don't know, but it at least makes up for some of them I would think. Luka puts up 20.3 fga on 32.9 minutes per game while LaVine puts up 19.4 on 34.1 minutes. Does that say something? I don't know for sure but the amount of shots per minute favors LaVine in this case.

RE: NBA Trade Rumors | MIN "intensifying pursuit" of DAngelo - ClutchDirk - 01-23-2020

https://twitter.com/TheNBACentral/status/1220375972043685888

https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/1220338485606993920

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2872637-bs-meter-on-latest-2019-nba-trade-deadline-rumors

(01-23-2020, 11:17 AM)ItsGoTime Wrote:
(01-23-2020, 11:05 AM)HanspardsShowerVoice Wrote:
(01-23-2020, 10:59 AM)ItsGoTime Wrote:

I'm not sure but I do know Luka is at about 10 assists per 36 minutes and LaVine is 3.8.  9.
The point was, crunch time stats aren't what should be looked at esp since the point you seemed to be making was LM not being able to get into the offensive flow. I will say, this has been a knock in the past of Luka's usage throughout the game. Luka is at 37% while LaVine is at 31%. Does that make up for the extra assists? Don't know, but it at least makes up for some of them I would think. Luka puts up 20.3 fga on 32.9 minutes per game while LaVine puts up 19.4 on 34.1 minutes. Does that say something? I don't know for sure but the amount of shots per minute favors LaVine in this case.

The point is you can have high usage and still get your teammates involved in the offense, and then you can be Zach Lavine.

(01-23-2020, 12:45 PM)HanspardsShowerVoice Wrote: The point is you can have high usage and still get your teammates involved in the offense, and then you can be Zach Lavine.
That doesn't speak to the higher amount of shots Luka puts up in a shorter amount of time. That, I believe is the crux of the argument against Luka when talking about involving his teammates and getting them in the flow of the offense as was the point you made in that sentence. Sure, Luka passes the ball more than LaVine and looks to get all his teammates involved. My question is, how much more than LaVine does he do it and to what affect in regards to getting all (because it wouldn't just be Luka and LM on the floor) his teammates into the flow of the offense?

RE: NBA Trade Rumors | MIN "intensifying pursuit" of DAngelo - ClutchDirk - 01-23-2020

Enter this note from Dan Woike of the Los Angeles Times.

"Though it is too soon to know whether the Clippers truly have trade intentions, they are sniffing around. NBA sources not authorized to speak publicly believe the Clippers are looking at players like Chicago power forward Thaddeus Young"…

Rival executives believe the Clippers could be on the hunt for another physical center — a potential Finals matchup with Milwaukee or Philadelphia would demand more size — or another playmaking guard.

https://twitter.com/TheSteinLine/status/1220414137550942210

https://twitter.com/TheSteinLine/status/1220414294489288713

Clippers and Celtics need bigs for a title run and are closer to a title this year than the Mavs. Better for the Mavs not to get in a bidding war against these teams out of some panic over the DP injury and jeopardize their roster and cap flexibility long term. I'm fine with some cheap 1 year fixes even if they don't really move the needle.

RE: NBA Trade Rumors | MIN "intensifying pursuit" of DAngelo - Scott41theMavs - 01-23-2020

(01-23-2020, 03:52 PM)HanspardsShowerVoice Wrote: Clippers and Celtics need bigs for a title run and are closer to a title this year than the Mavs. Better for the Mavs not to get in a bidding war against these teams out of some panic over the DP injury and jeopardize their roster and cap flexibility long term. I'm fine with some cheap 1 year fixes even if they don't really move the needle.

The reason I can't stand this argument is that the Mavs were ***already*** objectively short a big before Powell's injury. That's a bigger issue now, not just for the present, but for when Powell comes back, because as a big whose game is based almost entirely on athleticism coming back from an Achilles, he's going to be a shadow of his former self. The Mavs need one guy to be a long term fix at the bigs, and a second to help fill in for those times that KP is out. The second guy can be something of a spare. The Mavs are fools if they settle for a spare with the first guy. We have to get someone good. They won't do that, though, to remain faithful to the loyalty narrative of how great Powell is and how he's going to come back better than ever (banghead smiley).

I posted this on the other thread, but not sure people are seeing it:

https://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/256915/Wolves-Reject-Trade-Offer-From-Mavericks-On-Robert-Covington

Me getting scoops here is evidence that everyone else is disengaged. Strange, when it's the TDL and the Mavs need to make trades.

RE: NBA Trade Rumors | MIN "intensifying pursuit" of DAngelo - ThunderMav - 01-23-2020

https://twitter.com/McCadeP8/status/1153918602778562560

RE: NBA Trade Rumors | MIN "intensifying pursuit" of DAngelo - StepBackJay - 01-23-2020

(01-23-2020, 03:52 PM)HanspardsShowerVoice Wrote: Clippers and Celtics need bigs for a title run and are closer to a title this year than the Mavs.  Better for the Mavs not to get in a bidding war against these teams out of some panic over the DP injury and jeopardize their roster and cap flexibility long term.  I'm fine with some cheap 1 year fixes even if they don't really move the needle.

Celtics have no contracts to trade unless they want to trade Hayward. Clippers have lots of good players but do they need to trade anybody? Their team is awesome. It's the blueprint of a team you would want to build, I am not sure why they would need to trade anyone.

Lakers and 76ers are in every trade rumor any yet they also don't have contracts to trade. The Lakers have Kuzma which is their one tradable asset (and could be on the move for a better fitting trade).

Mavs have a big advantage in the trade market in that they have Lee and a large TE. Mavs for example could get 18 million dollar Tristan Thompson for Lee + one small contract (Broekhoff for example). Not a lot of contenders can do that. Mavs also have several young players on good contracts that could be moved for a bigger deal. My suspicion is that they do not want to trade away good players for a big, but would rather get some kind of inexpensive big. I do think they would give up real assets for Covington though.

RE: NBA Trade Rumors | MIN "intensifying pursuit" of DAngelo - chaparral - 01-23-2020

(01-23-2020, 04:10 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote:
(01-23-2020, 03:52 PM)HanspardsShowerVoice Wrote: Clippers and Celtics need bigs for a title run and are closer to a title this year than the Mavs.  Better for the Mavs not to get in a bidding war against these teams out of some panic over the DP injury and jeopardize their roster and cap flexibility long term.  I'm fine with some cheap 1 year fixes even if they don't really move the needle.

The reason I can't stand this argument is that the Mavs were ***already*** objectively short a big before Powell's injury. That's a bigger issue now, not just for the present, but for when Powell comes back, because as a big whose game is based almost entirely on athleticism coming back from an Achilles, he's going to be a shadow of his former self. The Mavs need one guy to be a long term fix at the bigs, and a second to help fill in for those times that KP is out. The second guy can be something of a spare. The Mavs are fools if they settle for a spare with the first guy. We have to get someone good. They won't do that, though, to remain faithful to the loyalty narrative of how great Powell is and how he's going to come back better than ever (banghead smiley).

I posted this on the other thread, but not sure people are seeing it:

https://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/256915/Wolves-Reject-Trade-Offer-From-Mavericks-On-Robert-Covington

Me getting scoops here is evidence that everyone else is disengaged. Strange, when it's the TDL and the Mavs need to make trades.

I agree the Mavs were already shy one big prior to Powells injury and know they need two.  So would you take Dedmon off SAC's hands and for doing so - they tipped us Giles?  Then use the TE for Crowder.

Dedmon - Giles - Boban
Porzingis - Kleber
Crowder - FinneySmith
Hardaway - Curry - Barea
Duncic - Wright - Brunson