MavsBoard
NBA Trade Rumors | - Printable Version

+- MavsBoard (https://www.mavsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Boards (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Dallas Mavericks and the NBA (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: NBA Trade Rumors | (/showthread.php?tid=281)

RE: NBA Trade Rumors (Cavs trade Clarkson to Jazz for Exum and 2 2nds) - DanSchwartzgan - 12-28-2019

(12-28-2019, 11:54 AM)Tyler Wrote: I think Dallas was definitely interested in a young, long, defensive point guard at one point.  So much so that they signed Wright, who is also much better offensively than Ntilikina.  While I personally wouldn't mind having another backcourt defender like Ntilikina, I suspect Dallas would prefer to spend their money elsewhere.

Would you take on Frank if he was part of the cost of a Morris deal?
Lee/Jackson for Morris/Frank. Add picks as necessary.

RE: NBA Trade Rumors (Cavs trade Clarkson to Jazz for Exum and 2 2nds) - ItsGoTime - 12-28-2019

(12-28-2019, 02:09 PM)Mavs2019 Wrote: Ntilikna makes $6M next year. He ain´t cheap. I wouldn´t give them a pick for him. I´d offer Lee for Ntilikina/Gibson, which saves them a few millions this year and gives them more capspace in the summer. We get the rough and rugged PF/C we are looking for, who also has a nice trade match contracting, that is partially guaranteed (just $1M) for 20/21.
I'd do that too and then follow it up with a Wright/JJ for RoCo and a second rounder.

RE: NBA Trade Rumors (Cavs trade Clarkson to Jazz for Exum and 2 2nds) - omahen - 12-28-2019

(12-28-2019, 02:09 PM)Mavs2019 Wrote: gives them more capspace in the summer

too soon to come to NYK with that one. Especially if you are Dallas Smile

On a more serious note. I don't think there is any chance NYK just gives him away for free. They could do it in the summer but didn't.

(12-28-2019, 02:41 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote: I'd do that too and then follow it up with a Wright/JJ for RoCo and a second rounder.

Wow! The trade optimism is really high here. Jordan Clarkson just costed a young player and 2 second round picks...

RE: NBA Trade Rumors (Cavs trade Clarkson to Jazz for Exum and 2 2nds) - ItsGoTime - 12-28-2019

(12-28-2019, 02:47 PM)omahen Wrote: Wow! The trade optimism is really high here. Jordan Clarkson just costed a young player and 2 second round picks...
Do you believe Dante Exum to be a good get at $9.6M for 1 and 1/2 more years? If you do, I think the Cavs have a really good trade ready and waiting for you. 

My trade is Wright (a PG that they are saying they need badly and he is on a really good deal) and JJ (the scoring option replacement for the hole left by RoCo's departure). I think the value of RoCo is more than that of Wright, but less than that of Wright and JJ, about a second half of the round (so they put a protection on it), second rounder less. I wouldn't have a big problem if the deal turned out to be us giving up a second rounder pick swap option or something, that isn't a big deal to me. If he was the player he has been, this would probably be selling low (out of the stated need for a PG). He hasn't been that player so far this year.

RE: NBA Trade Rumors (Cavs trade Clarkson to Jazz for Exum and 2 2nds) - omahen - 12-28-2019

(12-28-2019, 03:42 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote: Do you believe Dante Exum to be a good get at $9.6M for 1 and 1/2 more years?

Yes. Exum is a no risk move for Cleveland. They have plenty of time to experiment and if he works out, great. He is still young. Cleveland have a higher need for low usage defensive player next to Sexton and Garland than Clarkson. If he doesn't work out, who cares. Orlando paid a freaking first to get Fultz last season. For Utah being on a win now mode on the other hand, Exum was a terrible contract.

(12-28-2019, 03:42 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote: My trade is Wright (a PG that they are saying they need badly and he is on a really good deal)

Wright is a back up point guard. Mavs wanted him to start but he prefers to be back up. He is nothing special and he is not a very good point guard. He is excellent on defense. If you can get Ntilikina for a couple of second rounders, I guess developing teams might prefer that option.

(12-28-2019, 03:42 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote: JJ (the scoring option replacement for the hole left by RoCo's departure)

JJ fell out of 10 man rotation in Dallas and you are selling him as a starter to Minny? Are you sure they are going to buy that story?

(12-28-2019, 04:03 PM)omahen Wrote: Yes. Exum is a no risk move for Cleveland. They have plenty of time to experiment and if he works out, great. He is still young. Cleveland have a higher need for low usage defensive player next to Sexton and Garland than Clarkson. If he doesn't work out, who cares. Orlando paid a freaking first to get Fultz last season. For Utah being on a win now mode on the other hand, Exum was a terrible contract.
No risk move does not mean value. Exum has no value. Sure, they have the cap space to get him and hope he turns out to be a good get, but the value is not there right now.

(12-28-2019, 04:03 PM)omahen Wrote: Wright is a back up point guard. Mavs wanted him to start but he prefers to be back up. He is nothing special and he is not a very good point guard. He is excellent on defense. If you can get Ntilikina for a couple of second rounders, I guess developing teams might prefer that option.
He's still the same player that showed he can start in Mem and be effective. He is really good here too. I read him to want to be on the bench so he could play with a group that was more "his" group as opposed to with Luka who the starters are his group. If he meant he wants to come off the bench no matter what, you have a point.

(12-28-2019, 04:03 PM)omahen Wrote: JJ fell out of 10 man rotation in Dallas and you are selling him as a starter to Minny? Are you sure they are going to buy that story?
Who's selling him on anything? RoCo is a wing, when you subtract a wing, getting a wing to replace the number of wings you have is probably a good idea. It's a numbers thing, not a role thing. The coach can decide when he plays that is of no concern to me.

Edit: Also, you talk about Dante Exum being a good get and yet JJ is not?

RE: NBA Trade Rumors (Cavs trade Clarkson to Jazz for Exum and 2 2nds) - vfromlmf - 12-28-2019

Wright is one of the most efficient scoring guards in the league. Also top 15% is assist % and assist usage. He’s an elite, low turnover role player. So no, you don’t trade him for a player that uses more possessions less efficiently. 

https://cleaningtheglass.com/stats/team/7#tab-offensive_overview

(12-28-2019, 04:19 PM)vfromlmf Wrote: Wright is one of the most efficient scoring guards in the league. Also top 15% is assist % and assist usage. He’s an elite, low turnover role player. So no, you don’t trade him for a player that uses more possessions less efficiently. 
And here we have V stating Wright is better value than RoCo. I'm not saying that Omahen.

(12-28-2019, 04:17 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote: Who's selling him on anything? RoCo is a wing, when you subtract a wing, getting a wing to replace the number of wings you have is probably a good idea. It's a numbers thing, not a role thing. The coach can decide when he plays that is of no concern to me.

Edit: Also, you talk about Dante Exum being a good get and yet JJ is not?

It was you who wrote Jackson is a scoring replacement for RoCo. He is not. RoCo is a starter, JJ is doesn't look like one. Exum is a back-up replacement for a back-up. A player that might fit better, because Clarkson was scoring and not playing defense. Exum is the opposite. 

P.S.: to be on the record - I don't really understand why JJ fell out of rotation. He wasn't that bad and they should be giving him minutes to develop.

(12-28-2019, 04:22 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote: And here we have V stating Wright is better value than RoCo. I'm not saying that Omahen.

Great, because it just shows V should watch more games and less numbers Smile

(12-28-2019, 04:27 PM)omahen Wrote: It was you who wrote Jackson is a scoring replacement for RoCo. He is not. RoCo is a starter, JJ is doesn't look like one. Exum is a back-up replacement for a back-up. A player that might fit better, because Clarkson was scoring and not playing defense. Exum is the opposite. 
I didn't state starting replacement, I said replacement, as in numbers, as in I don't care where or when his new coach plays him.

(12-28-2019, 04:17 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote: No risk move does not mean value. Exum has no value. Sure, they have the cap space to get him and hope he turns out to be a good get, but the value is not there right now.

I wouldn't really agree. Potential has some value, if you can afford to wait or to risk. It doesn't have value for Utah, but it does have some value for Cleveland. Certainly higher value than Clarkson, that would be gone after this season.

(12-28-2019, 04:30 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote: I didn't state starting replacement, I said replacement, as in numbers, as in I don't care where or when his new coach plays him.

Ok. But two back-ups don't have higher or equal value than one good starter. You would have to add draft compensation and I am quite sure GSW 2nd is not enough.

RE: NBA Trade Rumors (Cavs trade Clarkson to Jazz for Exum and 2 2nds) - Tyler - 12-28-2019

(12-28-2019, 02:36 PM)DanSchwartzman Wrote:
(12-28-2019, 11:54 AM)Tyler Wrote: I think Dallas was definitely interested in a young, long, defensive point guard at one point.  So much so that they signed Wright, who is also much better offensively than Ntilikina.  While I personally wouldn't mind having another backcourt defender like Ntilikina, I suspect Dallas would prefer to spend their money elsewhere.

Would you take on Frank if he was part of the cost of a Morris deal?
Lee/Jackson for Morris/Frank. Add picks as necessary.

Personally, sure. In fact, if Dallas isn’t sold on keeping Jackson long term and wants an even younger defensive prospect from the same draft class, I think a straight Jackson for Ntilikina deal is pretty fair. They even have similar salaries, which is nice as it doesn’t mess with any cap planning. I sorta like the idea of the bench being stocked with long, pesky defenders like Wright, DFS, and Ntilikina.

(12-28-2019, 04:31 PM)omahen Wrote: I wouldn't really agree. Potential has some value, if you can afford to wait or to risk. It doesn't have value for Utah, but it does have some value for Cleveland. Certainly higher value than Clarkson, that would be gone after this season.
Potential on a rookie scale contract has some value (where you can retain them for another 5 years afterward with little resistance). Potential on a 5 and 1/3 year vet with that kind of price tag, not so much. Those are not the guys you trade for, they're the guys you sign for min contracts in the offseason after all else has fallen through.

RE: NBA Trade Rumors (Cavs trade Clarkson to Jazz for Exum and 2 2nds) - vfromlmf - 12-28-2019

(12-28-2019, 04:22 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote: And here we have V stating Wright is better value than RoCo. I'm not saying that Omahen.

Ha! You said Wright was nothing special. The facts contradict your opinion. I said nothing about Covington.

If you want to trade away Wright you’ll be losing something from a team that’s been pretty special. On pace for 56-60 wins. 

Personally I wouldn’t disrupt the rotation for Covington but hey, if you want to propose it you’re entitled to your opinion. I’m sure there are plenty of RoCo fans out there who would agree with you.

(12-28-2019, 04:17 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote: He's still the same player that showed he can start in Mem and be effective. He is really good here too. I read him to want to be on the bench so he could play with a group that was more "his" group as opposed to with Luka who the starters are his group. If he meant he wants to come off the bench no matter what, you have a point.
This is what I said about Wright, V, your argument is with Omahen.

(12-28-2019, 04:40 PM)vfromlmf Wrote: If you want to trade away Wright you’ll be losing something from a team that’s been pretty special. On pace for 56-60 wins. 
I don't agree to the extent you're saying, but I don't have as strong an opinion on that the opposite way as you have your direction (not fully sure that made much sense, but I hope you get what I'm saying here). I think the starting group with RoCo and Gibson along with Frank coming off the bench as a Boban type situational player is much better than the loss we would incur with losing Wright and JJ out of the rotation. After the two trades our rotation looks like this:

Luka/JB
THJ/Curry
RoCo/DoDo
KP/Maxi
Gibson/Powell

Tons more defense to balance out our awesome offense, and I don't think we lose much offense if at all.

My bad 

I have no argument with anyone. Wright does a lot of things really well and I think he has more to give. 

RoCo is a good player too. I think he’s overrated on this board but he’s a very good player.

(12-28-2019, 04:57 PM)vfromlmf Wrote: Wright does a lot of things really well and I think he has more to give. 
I agree, and it seems like he probably should have more to give, I just am not sure with JB (or Luka as a starter) playing beside him that it is possible to get that much more. That's why I would offer up either him or JB (because I think he has more to give too) in trade so they can go reach their potential while getting a player back that will help balance out our needs.

(12-28-2019, 04:57 PM)vfromlmf Wrote: I think he’s overrated on this board but he’s a very good player.
I think that's the snowball effect that I hate on this board too. Once someone says something good about someone, the next guy feels he has to say something more grandiose in order to contribute when a simple agreement would suffice. I've tried to fight for years against that.

RE: NBA Trade Rumors (Cavs trade Clarkson to Jazz for Exum and 2 2nds) - ClutchDirk - 12-28-2019

According to NBC Sports Bay Area's Monte Poole, 28-year-old guard Alec Burks could be on the move: 
"They acquired several potentially attractive tradable assets, and none has been more coveted than Alec Burks, who possesses the attributes contending teams desire. He's a wing with a respectable 3-point shot, he's playing well, he's low-maintenance and he's cheap.
[...]
"As much as the Warriors like Burks, and they most assuredly do, they are willing, according to league sources, to part with him—and several other veterans—for the right deal. Why consider moving arguably their most proficient offensive player? Because they want to create room to accommodate two-way guards Damion Lee and Ky Bowman." 

RE: NBA Trade Rumors (Cavs trade Clarkson to Jazz for Exum and 2 2nds) - StepBackJay - 12-28-2019

I hadn't thought ab RoCo for some package with Wright in it. That would be pretty interesting. Wright might actually be worth more long-term to the Wolves. You could do that straight up. Man getting RoCo and keeping DFS would be big. Not sure how you'd do the rotations. Let's get Favors and RoCo!

Doncic/Brunson
THJ/Curry
RoCo/DFS
KP/Maxi
Favors/Powell

Pretty salty...

(12-28-2019, 08:37 PM)StepBackJay Wrote: I hadn't thought ab RoCo for some package with Wright in it. That would be pretty interesting. Wright might actually be worth more long-term to the Wolves. You could do that straight up. Man getting RoCo and keeping DFS would be big. Not sure how you'd do the rotations. Let's get Favors and RoCo!

Doncic/Brunson
THJ/Curry
RoCo/DFS
KP/Maxi
Favors/Powell

Pretty salty...
That would for sure be my dream. Then trade THJ (fresh off a good enough playoff run) with our first to upgrade him.