MavsBoard
2023 DRAFT: Mavs take Lively, OMP, sign Mike Miles to 2-way, sign Jordan Walker - Printable Version

+- MavsBoard (https://www.mavsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Boards (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Dallas Mavericks and the NBA (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: 2023 DRAFT: Mavs take Lively, OMP, sign Mike Miles to 2-way, sign Jordan Walker (/showthread.php?tid=2272)

RE: 2023 DRAFT: June 22 - Knutsen - 04-13-2023

(04-10-2023, 12:25 PM)SwisherPrice Wrote: Forget winning the lottery, I'll be dancing in the streets as long as we don't get jumped. Keeping the 10th pick is just as good!

Watching the lottery will be disturbing, because they announce the picks in reverse order.

So at first it‘s hoping to not hear the Mavs at 14, 13 and 12, which will be quite easy. 

Then the nail biter number 11 will be announced - if that’s not the Mavs, big sigh of relief. 

And quickly change to not wanting to hear the Mavs at 10!

If that were to happen we have a lot of picks left to get antsy which Top 4 pick will be ours. 

And feel sad if it‘s only number 4 or 3 and maybe even 2, thanks to Wemby.

Will be a crazy ride, hopefully to the very end!

RE: 2023 DRAFT: June 22 - DallasMaverick - 04-13-2023

(04-13-2023, 02:41 PM)Nowitzki Way Wrote: I dont see them taking away a top 4 pick. Not out in the open. 

Thats why you are correct, and option 5 is what will happen. Its the only option. They will rig the lottery so we get the 11th pick., This WILL happen.

Can't see them removing a first-round draft pick.

If the Knicks' tampering with Brunson only resulted in the loss of a second-round pick (virtually worthless), then the penalty for tanking a couple of games can't be picks.  Maybe an organizational fine.

RE: 2023 DRAFT: June 22 - Chicagojk - 04-13-2023

(04-13-2023, 11:47 AM)DallasMaverick Wrote: So...

Are the Mavs in "win-now" mode?

If you thought that Luka's window of opportunity was small, how about when we re-sign Kyrie to big dollars?

I'd argue that the front office believes they've secured two very rare franchise building blocks, and their remaining holes are much easier and cheaper to fill.  So win now?  Yes.

In a win-now scenario, draft picks have minimal value.  First, it's a crapshoot whether you'll actually draft a contributing NBA player, regardless of how great your player evaluation team is. And second, it's really rare to have a first-year player contribute much, even if they end up being a superstar someday.

For those reasons, I predict they will trade their pick.

Draft pick plus neutral-to-slightly-negative player/contract for reliable, productive player.

You probably right.  This is probably exactly how the Mavs are thinking.  Trading the pick could be good value.   I just think most of the trades are short term solutions.   Hitting on pick #10 is like a lottery ticket.   I think it should viewed that way.    You may draft a guy who may need a year or so, but could be your #3 option for the next 10 years.   Or our best trade asset on our roster (sans Luka).  

Building roster depth or building around stars is not rocket science.   It is hard and the market is ultra competitive, but filling out around stars is a lot easier than finding stars.    

The one concern I have is how many games did Nico see live this year with lottery picks playing?   Did he go to any of the camps last year.   Or were we not expecting to have our pick and literally didn't see these players in person.  If so, it is just another way we are behind the 8 ball with other teams.   Mike Schmitz who is now with Portland has seen these kids play for 4-5 years.   Do we have anyone that involved?

RE: 2023 DRAFT: June 22 - Mavs2021 - 04-13-2023

(04-13-2023, 03:22 PM)Knutsen Wrote: Watching the lottery will be disturbing, because they announce the picks in reverse order.

So at first it‘s hoping to not hear the Mavs at 14, 13 and 12, which will be quite easy. 

Then the nail biter number 11 will be announced - if that’s not the Mavs, big sigh of relief. 

And quickly change to not wanting to hear the Mavs at 10!

If that were to happen we have a lot of picks left to get antsy which Top 4 pick will be ours. 

And feel sad if it‘s only number 4 or 3 and maybe even 2, thanks to Wemby.

Will be a crazy ride, hopefully to the very end!

Not the way you need to think. You need to hear the name of the team projected in the slot. If they are not in their projected slot anymore at #11 through #14, you already know they moved up and you are screwed, unless you jumped yourself.

We´ll know the exact order of teams after the play-in has concluded.

RE: 2023 DRAFT: June 22 - Knutsen - 04-13-2023

(04-13-2023, 04:08 PM)Mavs2021 Wrote: Not the way you need to think. You need to hear the name of the team projected in the slot. If they are not in their projected slot anymore at #11 through #14, you already know they moved up and you are screwed, unless you jumped yourself.

We´ll know the exact order of teams after the play-in has concluded.

You are right - so the fear starts with the first announced pick and culminates with number 11 if no team jumped to the Top 4 before. If one of the teams supposed to pick at 14, 13, 12 or 11 has jumped our only chance is to jump ourselves in one of the three remaining spots. Makes it even tougher than I described.

RE: 2023 DRAFT: June 22 - Dirknows - 04-13-2023

If they took away the Mavs first for tanking they'd have to do it to like every other team in the top 10. The Jazz rested Markkanen, Clarkson, Horton-Tucker their last 3 games. Pistons sucked from the start, Rockets are bad every year. Spurs rested guys all year.

RE: 2023 DRAFT: June 22 - dirkfansince1998 - 04-13-2023

(04-13-2023, 07:51 PM)Dirknows Wrote: If they took away the Mavs first for tanking they'd have to do it to like every other team in the top 10. The Jazz rested Markkanen, Clarkson, Horton-Tucker their last 3 games. Pistons sucked from the start, Rockets are bad every year. Spurs rested guys all year.

But no one else had the brilliant idea to step in front of the media.

RE: 2023 DRAFT: June 22 - ItsGoTime - 04-13-2023

NBA is gonna do what they do, but if their reason is because we intentionally tanked I would fight any penalty doled out. If it’s a punishable offense it’s punishable for everyone doing it, not just the idiotic team that says they are. The media personalities saying it’s disgusting? They are disgusting! Just like tampering.

RE: 2023 DRAFT: June 22 - BoredAssistant - 04-13-2023

Any punishment of more than like $250,000 would be ridiculous.  Silver and the nba does not want to look like they are singling the Mavericks out.  Do nba bylaws allow for Cuban to sue and put the NBA through a discovery process which would include the last 25 years of the league looking the other way when teams have tanked?

eta: Oh i see others have basically said the same before me.  Also, give me Hendricks or any defense/athleticism if we get the 10th pick.

RE: 2023 DRAFT: June 22 - LukaMVP - 04-14-2023

cant remember any team losing their picks for tanking. our pick is safe as long as we don't get jumped. jarace walker is the guy i want most tbh. guy would help fix many holes and he is probably the most nba-ready guy from the pool this year.

RE: 2023 DRAFT: June 22 - Jym - 04-14-2023

(04-13-2023, 09:12 PM)BoredAssistant Wrote: Any punishment of more than like $250,000 would be ridiculous.  Silver and the nba does not want to look like they are singling the Mavericks out.  Do nba bylaws allow for Cuban to sue and put the NBA through a discovery process which would include the last 25 years of the league looking the other way when teams have tanked?

eta: Oh i see others have basically said the same before me.  Also, give me Hendricks or any defense/athleticism if we get the 10th pick.

he was fined $600k several years ago for telling players that "losing is our best option" and then stupidly admitting that in an interview 

and this was even more over the top with Kidd admitting it in a press conference. I would have to think the fine this time will be at least a $1 million

RE: 2023 DRAFT: June 22 - JamesConway912 - 04-14-2023

32 days to waste our times by getting our hopes up only to have them crushed on lottery night. The setup of this situation is amazing. It’s more of the same (the annual offseason desaster) but still different from the last years (never had a lottery pick taken away by one spot entirely)

You gotta give it to the Mavs. They’re probably the most creative team in the entire NBA when it comes to finding new ways to make following the team as miserable as possible for their fans.

RE: 2023 DRAFT: June 22 - omahen - 04-14-2023

(04-13-2023, 11:47 AM)DallasMaverick Wrote: So...

Are the Mavs in "win-now" mode?

If you thought that Luka's window of opportunity was small, how about when we re-sign Kyrie to big dollars?

I'd argue that the front office believes they've secured two very rare franchise building blocks, and their remaining holes are much easier and cheaper to fill.  So win now?  Yes.

In a win-now scenario, draft picks have minimal value.  First, it's a crapshoot whether you'll actually draft a contributing NBA player, regardless of how great your player evaluation team is. And second, it's really rare to have a first-year player contribute much, even if they end up being a superstar someday.

For those reasons, I predict they will trade their pick.

Draft pick plus neutral-to-slightly-negative player/contract for reliable, productive player.

They are definitely in win now. Irving is not a long term building block. Even if we brush aside all of his problems he had in previous teams, he is 31. Mavs window they decided to do is max next three years. Unless they SnT Irving for another, more long term building block. But I think this is not likely. 

As for draft pick, I would agree most likely scenario is a trade. But, I could also see a world, where nothing good is available and Mavs just keep the pick.

RE: 2023 DRAFT: June 22 - BoredAssistant - 04-14-2023

(04-14-2023, 02:12 AM)Jym Wrote: I would have to think the fine this time will be at least a $1 million

Not terrible.  Hopefully Kidd learns something from this such as not wasting your employer's money.

RE: 2023 DRAFT: June 22 - HAguiar95 - 04-14-2023

My Official 2023 Draft Big Board - Dallas Mavericks edition.

#1 (3% chance): WET DREAM

V. Wenbanyama

#2 (3.3% chance): YOUNG DYNASTY

Threaten to draft S. Henderson, wait for the offers. He's a superstar, but would not work great next to Luka IMO. 

I'd rather trade #2/Bullock for #7 (Hendricks)/#12 (Walace)/Carter (ORL) or #5 (Hendricks)/Vassell (SAS). 

If it doesn't work out, draft S. Henderson and hope he develops into a superstar next to Luka (Bye Kyrie).

#3 (3.6% chance): BPA

B. Miller.

#4 (4% chance): BPA

B. Miller
T. Hendricks

#10 (65.9% chance): BPA

T. Hendricks
A. Black
J. Walker
Amen Thompson
C. Whitmore
Ausar Thompson
C. Walace

Trade Down: JUST IN CASE (I wouldn't trade out of the top-10 unless it's for a great starter)

#11-#20

J. Hood-Schifino
K. Bufkin
G.G. Jackson
J. Hawkins
K. Murray

#21-#30

B. Coulibaly
L. Miller
D. Whitehead

2nd Round: IF WE GET/BUY ONE

T. Vukcevic
J. Clark
E. Bates
T. Jackson-Davis

RE: 2023 DRAFT: June 22 - chaparral - 04-14-2023

(04-13-2023, 01:51 PM)chaparral Wrote: Going on record to state what I think will happen as a result of the NBA Investigation of the Mavs tanking.

1. I think the NYK have filed a strong complaint on the Mavs the NBA can't ignore. 
2. Therefore, I think the ruling will come after the lottery drawing.
3. If Mavs move up into the top 4 - the NBA will void the pick and Cuban will be suspended.
4. If Mavs stay at 10 - the NBA will void the pick.  Mavs/NYK 2024 trade still applies. 
5. It some team jumps the Mavs and NY gets the 11th pick - I think the Mavs will just be fined for tanking.

I think # 5 is the most likely outcome of this NBA Mavs tanking investigation.

Totally got this wrong.  Surprised they ruled on this so fast as well.

RE: 2023 DRAFT: June 22 - Dirknows - 04-14-2023

(04-14-2023, 01:28 PM)chaparral Wrote: Totally got this wrong.  Surprised they ruled on this so fast as well.

They just wanted to give them a slap on the wrist to get it over with before the playoffs started. Nothing was ever going to come of this, teams tank every year, just don't have coaches and owners as dumb as the Mavs do.

RE: 2023 DRAFT: June 22 - IamDougieFresh - 04-14-2023

NBA could easily "prove" the lottery isn't rigged (it is) by giving the team they just fined for tanking a top 4 pick!

RE: 2023 DRAFT: June 22 - GermanMav - 04-16-2023

Anybody knows if Jordan Hawkins can play D?
He hast the most beautifull jumper i have ever seen.
Only question would be if he has to run around all those screens with Luka and Kai, and if he,s just as effective with corner 3's and casual catch&shoots.

RE: 2023 DRAFT: June 22 - ItsGoTime - 04-18-2023

http://nbasense.com/draft-pick-trade-value/2/kevin-pelton-2

Says the #10 is worth the #21 & 23