MavsBoard
2023 DRAFT: Mavs take Lively, OMP, sign Mike Miles to 2-way, sign Jordan Walker - Printable Version

+- MavsBoard (https://www.mavsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Boards (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Dallas Mavericks and the NBA (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: 2023 DRAFT: Mavs take Lively, OMP, sign Mike Miles to 2-way, sign Jordan Walker (/showthread.php?tid=2272)

RE: 2023 DRAFT: June 22 | Mavs to pick 10th - mvossman - 06-22-2023

(06-22-2023, 11:48 AM)Chicagojk Wrote: Even they did wind up with Whitmore though, I think it opens up even more short term questions than drafting someone like Lively.  At least with Lively, I think he will be able to play 20 or so minutes and at least be an improvement on defense that we had last year.  Although I would expect some rough moments.

If we drafted Whitmore, I think we are still lacking a finishing 4 and 5.  How would we fill those remaining spots?  Maxi can fill in, but I want to get away from counting on him with heavy minutes.    I think with our resources we can find one, but two is going to be challenging imo.

I doubt Lively is going to be ready to play a finishing role in his first season so you are still looking for finishing 4 and 5 unless you are trusting to Maxi health.  We traded away the 5 (KP) a year and a half ago and never replaced him, and the 4 (DFS) last TDL and never replaced him.  Its hard to imagine any guy at 10 we would be able to plug into one of those spots in a year, although a Maxi/Hendricks/Luka/Green/Kyrie lineup might be interesting.

RE: 2023 DRAFT: June 22 | Mavs to pick 10th - Scott41theMavs - 06-22-2023

Picks I would be happy with depending on where we end up drafting:

at 10 (top four won't be available): Hendricks, Black, Whitmore, Coulibaly (since Pop wants him), Wallace (after the Discord discussion - yes, yes, yes)
11-16: any of those, plus Bufkin and Lively
17 and below: Dick (only if this low), Prosper, George, L. Miller, Murray, NSJ, Whitehead, Nnaji, Rupert, Sheppard, Kobe Brown, Cissoko, GG

RE: 2023 DRAFT: June 22 | Mavs to pick 10th - SleepingHero - 06-22-2023

(06-22-2023, 11:37 AM)RoyTarpleysGhost Wrote: [Jake Fischer] “…Dallas could send the No. 10 pick to Atlanta for that No. 15 selection depending on which players are available. The Mavericks, though, could defy expectations and stay at No. 10 if Villanova product Cam Whitmore or UCF forward Taylor Hendricks slips to that selection.”

AS THEY SHOULD!

Honestly what would y'all rather have? Get 1 of Cam Whitmore or Taylor Hendricks and nab a center like Ayton. Or trade for Capela and get a guy like Cason Wallace or Kobe Bufkin.

I know what camp I'm in.

RE: 2023 DRAFT: June 22 | Mavs to pick 10th - khaled1987 - 06-22-2023

(06-22-2023, 01:31 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: AS THEY SHOULD!

Honestly what would y'all rather have? Get 1 of Cam Whitmore or Taylor Hendricks and nab a center like Ayton. Or trade for Capela and get a guy like Cason Wallace or Kobe Bufkin.

I know what camp I'm in.

Doubt we will get Wallace or Bufkin at 15. 
After the "big 9" I would say Lively,  Dick, Wallace, Bufkin will be taken 10-14, Bilal & JHS would most likely be the remaining best player, which are vad options IMO.

RE: 2023 DRAFT: June 22 | Mavs to pick 10th - Spin4177 - 06-22-2023

I know what camp I'm in.

I'm in camp no.1

I think a comp of Hendricks and Ayton gives you more.
I'm not sold in Capela at this stage of his carrere. Of course Cason would be a great perimeter defender.
But the fact that taylor can switch nearly 1-5 and ayton waiting in the paint is great. and also they are both great rebounder , which is at least a big hole in our team.

Sources: Scoot Henderson is gaining serious momentum at No. 2 with the Charlotte Hornets in tonight’s NBA draft. Hornets have been torn over the last week between Henderson and Brandon MIller. Team has final meetings today to settle on decision. Per Shams

_________
Could this has effect on the order of the draft, seems like all trade discussions with Portland revolves around Scoot being there, would they pick Miller or surprise us?

RE: 2023 DRAFT: June 22 | Mavs to pick 10th - Chicagojk - 06-22-2023

Mavs draft Whitmore....than he hires Jalen's dad as his agent Smile

RE: 2023 DRAFT: June 22 | Mavs to pick 10th - SleepingHero - 06-22-2023

https://twitter.com/andyblarsen/status/1671922265607507968

This isn’t a report, no one from the Jazz have told me this. But the scuttlebutt from league folks about the Jazz is that they’re most interested in Jarace Walker or Anthony Black. On the other hand, they’re said to be low on Cam Whitmore.

One point where’s there’s some disagreement on is whether or not Taylor Hendricks actually did end up working out for the Jazz. Different people have said different things.
Medicals are also playing a key role in decisions, we’ve been told. Not sure who that’s a reference to.

(06-22-2023, 01:36 PM)khaled1987 Wrote: Doubt we will get Wallace or Bufkin at 15. 
After the "big 9" I would say Lively,  Dick, Wallace, Bufkin will be taken 10-14, Bilal & JHS would most likely be the remaining best player, which are vad options IMO.

I was thinking best case scenarios but I agree with you.

RE: 2023 DRAFT: June 22 | Mavs to pick 10th - ItsGoTime - 06-22-2023

(06-22-2023, 10:16 AM)MFFL Wrote: We literally HAVE to wait until 10. 
I’ve seen this a few times now. We just have to pick in the first round this year, doesn’t matter when. We can trade down at any time as long as we have a first in this year’s draft.

RE: 2023 DRAFT: June 22 | Mavs to pick 10th - Ghost of Podkolzin - 06-22-2023

(06-22-2023, 12:29 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: That's true of every team, though. 

The one time I really paid heed to what someone said after a draft was when Nellie said after the '98 draft, "This (Nowitzki) is a major, major piece for us." Pretty strong words for a 9th pick. And of course he was right.

Precisely.  The hater fans on here act like we have the worst FO in the league and the other 29 franchises are all Lakers, Celtics, GS, and Denver.  We traded up for Luka.  We got Hardy deep in the second round.  Yes, the KP trades in/out were awful, but it's not like we're Charlotte.

RE: 2023 DRAFT: June 22 | Mavs to pick 10th - Dirknows - 06-22-2023

I know what camp I'm in.

How do we get Ayton? You think the Suns want our garbage to fill out their roster?

RE: 2023 DRAFT: June 22 | Mavs to pick 10th - RoyTarpleysGhost - 06-22-2023

I know what camp I'm in.

With the new CBA and our owner, there are almost no scenarios where I want Deandre Ayton. Not only would we sacrifice finances but one of Aytons complaints is he wants a bigger role offensively. If Kyrie walks is the only way I have any interest in Ayton.

RE: 2023 DRAFT: June 22 | Mavs to pick 10th - Nowitzki Way - 06-22-2023

Posting this a few hours before the draft kicks off.

Anyone want to give last minute Mavs predictions for tonight?

What do they do?

1. Stay put at 10 and draft a player
2. Trade down from 10 and get a later pick/players
3. Trade 10 for a veteran or Salary dump and no 2023 picks coming back
4. Trade up!!

I'd love for them to trade back a little and pick up a veteran like Capela or trade back and acquire multiple picks (Utah).

But I think it turns out to be an un-eventful Mavs night.  We'll all refresh twitter a million times, but at the end of the night we stay at 10 and draft.

I think the first 9 picks end up being Chalk. I dont but the Cam Whitmore falling or Bufkin, Coulibaly, etc. jumping into the top 9.  The Mavs will be left to pick from the field. I think it'll come down to Lively, Wallace, Dick

My prediction - Mavs take Dereck Lively.

I know what camp I'm in.

I will believe we get Ayton without draft compensation when I see it.  I don't think its a legit option.  A more reasonable comparison would be something like Collins/Hendricks, or Capela/Wallace.

RE: 2023 DRAFT: June 22 | Mavs to pick 10th - Jym - 06-22-2023

(06-22-2023, 04:21 PM)mvossman Wrote: I will believe we get Ayton without draft compensation when I see it.  I don't think its a legit option.  A more reasonable comparison would be something like Collins/Hendricks, or Capela/Wallace.

Yeah not a fan of the Ayton fit financially or on the court but if we can get him basically for free, you gotta go for it

(06-22-2023, 04:16 PM)Nowitzki Way Wrote: Posting this a few hours before the draft kicks off.

What do they do?

4. Trade up!!

I'd love for them to trade back a little and pick up a veteran like Capela or trade back and acquire multiple picks (Utah).

But I think it turns out to be an un-eventful Mavs night.  We'll all refresh twitter a million times, but at the end of the night we stay at 10 and draft.

I think the first 9 picks end up being Chalk. I dont but the Cam Whitmore falling or Bufkin, Coulibaly, etc. jumping into the top 9.  The Mavs will be left to pick from the field. I think it'll come down to Lively, Wallace, Dick

I think we stay, trades take 2 parties to agree and I feel Mavs won't find a trade that satisfies them. 
If we keep it, I feel we will take Wallace, no idea why.

PS: would love it if we trade up. Just because it will be hilarious lol

RE: 2023 DRAFT: June 22 | Mavs to pick 10th - OBX Maverick - 06-22-2023

(06-22-2023, 04:16 PM)Nowitzki Way Wrote: Posting this a few hours before the draft kicks off.

What do they do?

4. Trade up!!

And if it’s Lively, I could live with that!

What do they do?

4. Trade up!!

That would be wildly disappointing.  Its hard to see how they build a competitive team in the near future if the spend their best asset on a project.

RE: 2023 DRAFT: June 22 | Mavs to pick 10th - Jym - 06-22-2023

(06-22-2023, 04:26 PM)khaled1987 Wrote: PS: would love it if we trade up. Just because it will be hilarious lol

I wonder if we could use Green + 10 to move up
Having to pay around $15 mil a year to keep him seems like a horrible idea.

(06-22-2023, 04:29 PM)Jym Wrote: I wonder if we could use Green + 10 to move up
Having to pay around $15 mil a year to keep him seems like a horrible idea.

Hmmmm, Pacers no 7 for 10 and Green and get Black or Walker? 
That would be something