MavsBoard
2023 DRAFT: Mavs take Lively, OMP, sign Mike Miles to 2-way, sign Jordan Walker - Printable Version

+- MavsBoard (https://www.mavsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Boards (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Dallas Mavericks and the NBA (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: 2023 DRAFT: Mavs take Lively, OMP, sign Mike Miles to 2-way, sign Jordan Walker (/showthread.php?tid=2272)

RE: 2023 DRAFT: June 22 | Mavs to pick 10th - SweetFidelia - 06-20-2023

(06-20-2023, 03:53 PM)Ghost of Podkolzin Wrote: Who really thinks Lively could start in the next 3 years and why do you think that?

I realize most are just talking heads, but way too many scouts question his motor, his toughness, being out of position, fouling too much, and any shot that's not a dunk.  Kidd will love that just ask Christian Wood.  He does seem like a nice kid (bless his heart).    

I like @MavsDraft, and he has him as the 22nd best player available on a recent podcast with a comp of Mo Bamba.  So, good luck with all that.  If we only have 1 pick, I wouldn't draft him at all, because he isn't helping this year unless half the team gets COVID again.  By year 3, maybe, if he isn't a total bust.

RE: 2023 DRAFT: June 22 | Mavs to pick 10th - ThisIStheYear - 06-20-2023

(06-19-2023, 07:15 PM)Chicagojk Wrote: https://twitter.com/DustinDopirak/status/1670926442400473093?s=20

Is this the guy with the tiny hands, so tiny no one with that measurement has ever been a star?

RE: 2023 DRAFT: June 22 | Mavs to pick 10th - DallasMaverick - 06-20-2023

(06-20-2023, 06:06 PM)ThisIStheYear Wrote: Is this the guy with the tiny hands, so tiny no one with that measurement has ever been a star?

...and Desmond Bane has short arms...

RE: 2023 DRAFT: June 22 | Mavs to pick 10th - khaled1987 - 06-20-2023

(06-20-2023, 09:36 AM)Chicagojk Wrote: Would you trade Josh Green and # 10 for #8 if Whitmore fell?

Yes tbh. 
I think Whitmore is closest thing to star between all the 4-9 crop of players

RE: 2023 DRAFT: June 22 | Mavs to pick 10th - Ghost of Podkolzin - 06-20-2023

(06-20-2023, 04:07 PM)Chicagojk Wrote: focus on the things he is good at.   He needs to learn to set better picks, but his role on offense is to rim run.  There is a lot of open space playing with Luka.  Probably much more than playing in college.

On defense, it will take him time to learn the complicated defense strategies but you can find a role for him as he learns.

Dallas has all the scoring and the stars they need.  They need someone to rim run and then help make scoring harder for the other team.   I would think he is a 20 plus minute a player year one and potentially be fine year two.   

Lets say whoever they take at 10 may not be more than a 4th option for the next 3-4 years.   If that is the case, who can make the most impact if they are not asked to score?

Are Duren, Mark Williams and Kessler 3 years out?  lively is not 3 years development behind those.  Now will he be as good as them?  That is a different story.

Yeah, I have seen they apparently like Black, who I really like.  But in all honesty, he is a guy you pair with a star(s).  I don't think he is a star.   

Whitmore has some of that star potential and he is a local kid.   He would be a good gamble on their first draft pick as new GM.   They have such a lengthy rebuild though.

Thanks for the analysis in your response.  Great points.  Great comps.

College:
Lively 20mins
Williams 24mins in 2nd year
Duren 25mins
Kessler 26mins in 2nd year

NBA:
Williams 19.3 in 43 games
Duren 24.9 mins in 67 games
Kessler 23 mins in 74 games

Ages:
Lively 19
Williams 21
Duren 19
Kessler 21

I think Williams is the best comp.  I would say he didn't really contribute much this year.  Williams has 2 years on Lively, 2 in age, 1 more in college, 1 in the NBA.

This said, I'd say Lively is 3 years behind Williams' contributing in a meaningful way.  I think Lively is a great talent and exactly what the Mavs need, just 3 years out.  If we can land Zubac or Allen, then perhaps we can groom him with ~15mins a game.

RE: 2023 DRAFT: June 22 | Mavs to pick 10th - hakeemfaan - 06-20-2023

10 is a very high pick to just pick someone based on need and fitting with Luka. If a year from now Luka asks for a trade we are stuck with a one dimensional player who fits well with Luka but is not a major building block by himself.

Skill is king in the current NBA. Skill is king when it comes to future trades. Go for who you believe is the most skilled player 4 years from now as long as the other attributes such as work ethic and basketball IQ check out well.

(06-20-2023, 07:26 PM)DallasMaverick Wrote: ...and Desmond Bane has short arms...

Can't prove a positive with a negative.

Jordan was cut from his HS team.  So was I.  Am I Jordan?

RE: 2023 DRAFT: June 22 | Mavs to pick 10th - DallasMaverick - 06-20-2023

(06-20-2023, 07:38 PM)Ghost of Podkolzin Wrote: Can't prove a positive with a negative.

Jordan was cut from his HS team.  So was I.  Am I Jordan?

Maybe.  A burner account?

RE: 2023 DRAFT: June 22 | Mavs to pick 10th - khaled1987 - 06-20-2023

Gonna admit, I am starting to like Wallace more and more tbh.
A good defensive guard, Kentuky's guard for that matter, who can contribute in offense is someone whom I think is a good fit and has good potential.
Unlikely to be bpa, but high floor.

RE: 2023 DRAFT: June 22 | Mavs to pick 10th - ItsGoTime - 06-20-2023

(06-20-2023, 03:53 PM)Ghost of Podkolzin Wrote: Who really thinks Lively could start in the next 3 years and why do you think that?
Powell started for years here?

RE: 2023 DRAFT: June 22 | Mavs to pick 10th - Scott41theMavs - 06-20-2023

(06-20-2023, 07:45 PM)khaled1987 Wrote: Gonna admit, I am starting to like Wallace more and more tbh.
A good defensive guard, Kentuky's guard for that matter, who can contribute in offense is someone whom I think is a good fit and has good potential.

He's going to be a steal for whoever gets him. I would desperately want the Mavs to draft him, but we have Luka, Kyrie, and Hardy.

(06-20-2023, 07:44 PM)DallasMaverick Wrote: Maybe.  A burner account?

Well played.

(06-20-2023, 07:52 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote: Powell started for years here?

Powell played 4 years at Stanford, 136 games.  He was 22 when drafted.  Again, this is evidence Lively is 3 years out.

RE: 2023 DRAFT: June 22 | Mavs to pick 10th - Scott41theMavs - 06-20-2023

Just 48 hours until we find out in exactly what way the Mavs have botched the draft!

RE: 2023 DRAFT: June 22 | Mavs to pick 10th - Luka77 - 06-20-2023

(06-20-2023, 09:36 AM)Chicagojk Wrote: Would you trade Josh Green and # 10 for #8 if Whitmore fell?

Yes

RE: 2023 DRAFT: June 22 | Mavs to pick 10th - SweetFidelia - 06-21-2023

(06-20-2023, 07:45 PM)khaled1987 Wrote: Gonna admit, I am starting to like Wallace more and more tbh.

I like Wallace, too.  I still feel Mavs need 3 starters: C, big wing, and point of attack defender.  Bullock looks washed and needs to go or come off the bench.  Can Green be that point of attack defender? (I don't really view him as a wing; he dang sure isn't a big wing.) 

Wallace would be GREAT as a point of attack defender.  His floor might already be higher than the level Green is at now (and I am really pleased with Green's progression....one more step and the Mavs really have something).  My preference is to make a rule that everyone acquired via draft, trade, or free agency must be 6'7" and up as this team is so freakin' tiny.  Wallace would be an exception to my rule because of his elite D and the Kentucky guard bump.  And, he would definitely qualify as a 3rd ball handler.  

I think Mavs fans would not be happy with that pick, though.

RE: 2023 DRAFT: June 22 | Mavs to pick 10th - Chicagojk - 06-21-2023

I think he is going to be good.   I just keep going back to Iztok's article last year that the Mavs have a size problem.   Adding Cason, makes this even a bigger issue.  Where moving forward (maybe not this year) your have 4 out of your 5 best players being 6'4 and under.   And the fifth is your point guard in Luka.  

I am trying to determine how you match up against Denver's huge front line and others in the west.   It is really tough. 

BTW, I am probably very biased but I am all in that Hardy is a "guy".

RE: 2023 DRAFT: June 22 | Mavs to pick 10th - Chicagojk - 06-21-2023

Hollinger thought Lively would be the perfect fit for Dallas in a chat with Cato today on the Athletic.

Said he would definitely trade back for Capela in a heartbeat but thought that was a total laugher for Dallas. Also said he might still do it if it was for Collins instead. Says Collins has been miscast in ATL. Said the difference between 10 & 15 tycpially is not large. Also mentioned using the pick to clear salaries. (my comment- hopefully this is not a focus)

Cato (who I really like, but his draft coverage has been lacking imo) drafted Hood Shafino in a mock draft and asked Hollinger of him. He is not a fan. I would be really disappointed in a Hood Shafino pick

Cato mentions someone who is not authorized to speak publicly said Dallas has spoken with the Celtics on a grant Williams sign and trade.

RE: 2023 DRAFT: June 22 | Mavs to pick 10th - Scott41theMavs - 06-21-2023

(06-21-2023, 09:07 AM)SweetFidelia Wrote: I like Wallace, too.  I still feel Mavs need 3 starters: C, big wing, and point of attack defender.  Bullock looks washed and needs to go or come off the bench.  Can Green be that point of attack defender? (I don't really view him as a wing; he dang sure isn't a big wing.) 

Wallace would be GREAT as a point of attack defender.  His floor might already be higher than the level Green is at now (and I am really pleased with Green's progression....one more step and the Mavs really have something).  My preference is to make a rule that everyone acquired via draft, trade, or free agency must be 6'7" and up as this team is so freakin' tiny.  Wallace would be an exception to my rule because of his elite D and the Kentucky guard bump.  And, he would definitely qualify as a 3rd ball handler.  

I think Mavs fans would not be happy with that pick, though.

This Mavs fan would be very happy with it.

RE: 2023 DRAFT: June 22 | Mavs to pick 10th - Ghost of Podkolzin - 06-21-2023

Grant Williams makes a lot of sense for us.