MavsBoard
2023 DRAFT: Mavs take Lively, OMP, sign Mike Miles to 2-way, sign Jordan Walker - Printable Version

+- MavsBoard (https://www.mavsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Boards (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Dallas Mavericks and the NBA (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: 2023 DRAFT: Mavs take Lively, OMP, sign Mike Miles to 2-way, sign Jordan Walker (/showthread.php?tid=2272)

RE: 2023 DRAFT: June 22 | Mavs to pick 10th - omahen - 06-20-2023

(06-20-2023, 03:19 AM)SkenfromLMF Wrote: One of the dramatic parts is that Dallas HAS to announce the pick as theirs if there is no trade down... So the closer this thing gets without a trade down announced, the higher the risk becomes that we keep the pick and lose Luka if we do not improve.

I think trade down depends a lot on who is available at 10. I think trade down will happen (if it will happen), once Mavs are on the clock.

RE: Jason Terry - omahen - 06-20-2023

(06-19-2023, 10:44 PM)Jason Terry Wrote: 1. New CBA. Need low cost guys coming in

2. deep draft. Can get some high ceiling players later than usual 

3. need more players that will get better over time. 

We need to build something to sell to Luka and Kyrie. It would be nice to add to what we have(green/Hardy)

Luka and Kyrie will cost roughly 90 mil. This means there is 80 mil room below the apron to build the team. Plenty of space to add a couple of quality proven players. Mavs problem is that they are getting very little from existing 80 mil invested in "the other guys". Since most of them are negative value, no way to improve them without adding draft capital.

RE: 2023 DRAFT: June 22 | Mavs to pick 10th - PositiveLegs - 06-20-2023

(06-19-2023, 10:27 PM)RoyTarpleysGhost Wrote: I can see lots of them.

Not sure why everyone is being so dramatic about the draft this year after we've neglected it for so long and for once have a legitimate reason to move 

I say it would be a failure because by multiple reports there are at least 4-5 teams with better picks in the top 10 that would be open to trading. Imo that diminishes the value of what you can trade 10 for. Maybe I’m wrong and Nico cooks up this great trade but I’m very skeptical. Also selfishly I’ll be at the draft in person this year so I’d like to see them actually take it seriously Smile

(06-19-2023, 10:21 PM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: "they're in prime position to get something of value back"

But, what?  Prime, because its pick #10?  Prime because teams will be dumping some high salary guys (like we just saw)?

That was pretty darned confident for someone who isn't a big self-promoter or a big attention seeker from what I've seen and heard of him over time.

Agree. It almost felt like he knew of some deals already that were contingent on who’s available at 10

RE: 2023 DRAFT: June 22 | Mavs to pick 10th - Guwop - 06-20-2023

Not sold on Dereck Lively at all. I hate the idea of drafting true center with Kidd as the coach. That guy does not value that position and will hinder the development of any young defensive big IMO. I’m after Taylor Hendricks or Gradey Dick. Either one falls to 10 you grab them no hesitation. Both would immediately help team assuming we keep Kyrie. If those two don’t fall then somebody unexpected with be available at 10 and I’d choose that guy over lively

RE: 2023 DRAFT: June 22 | Mavs to pick 10th - Luka77 - 06-20-2023

Idk, if anyone else saw it on NBA TV that JHS and his coach (former NBA coach Mike Woodson) compared him to Jason Kidd. Woodson went as far as calling Jalen Jason.

Anyway I thought that was interesting considering Kidds Woodson connections and Mark's IU connections.

RE: 2023 DRAFT: June 22 | Mavs to pick 10th - Chicagojk - 06-20-2023

I don't think Cam Whitmore is dropping. I get there are some concerns. He is one of the only top prospects I watched this year for a full game and he left me underwhelmed. But he was in a weird spot this year. He definitely has some questions, but guys his size very rarely have his speed, strength or leaping ability. Don't overthink it. But I would be shocked if he fell to us.
-
But, here is my rankings

Keep the pick an don't look back:
1)Whitmore
2)Walker
3) Black

Hendricks vs Lively
I think I am going to have Hendricks higher. I have questions. but he plays a position the Mavs have needed for a long time. A big wing who can defend and shoot. It may come down to how good are the slight trade down offers, if any. That may determined if I stay and take Hendricks or a slight trade down for Lively.

Mid teen guards
I like a few, but just have trouble seeing how adding a two guard is the best roster building strategy. Especially if you factor in Kyrie resigning and Hardy being a real piece in the future.

Dick
I think is being undervalued on most sites. He is a better athlete than a lot think. The question I have is if he is a really great shooter. Steph Curry being a 10+ and Hardaway being a 7. Where is Dick on that ranking as a shooter? If we picked up a center and moved back some, he could be a real nice option. I would prefer a different route though.

Thompson twins
They look great in the highlights. I think I am just going to stay away though. I just can't get a good feel for them. Being almost 21 playing against younger players in a lower level makes it really tricky for me. I know if I am the Mavs, I can't take Ausar at 10 if I didn't at least bring him in for a workout.

Workouts
If the Mavs don't want to share their workouts, that is fine. Not a big deal. I think it has hid their inaction in previous years. I will be very disappointed if we hear they only worked out a small percentage of guys ranked 7 to 20. That will be very disappointing.

Summer league team-
Looking back, the Mavs have had some solid gets in the last few summer league rosters. But their rosters has been awful. I hope they are aggressive and curious bringing in players.

ESPN latest mock has GG Jackson at 37. That is Hardy range. I didn't love his highlights, but he has NBA skills. Just needs to mature, work on his craft and wait a few years.

RE: 2023 DRAFT: June 22 | Mavs to pick 10th - Nowitzki Way - 06-20-2023

(06-20-2023, 08:42 AM)Chicagojk Wrote: ESPN latest mock has GG Jackson at 37.  That is Hardy range.  I didn't love his highlights, but he has NBA skills.  Just needs to mature, work on his craft and wait a few years.

Yes to this.  Go after GG or Whitehead if they fall.

RE: Jason Terry - RoyTarpleysGhost - 06-20-2023

(06-19-2023, 10:44 PM)Jason Terry Wrote: 1. New CBA. Need low cost guys coming in

2. deep draft. Can get some high ceiling players later than usual 

3. need more players that will get better over time. 

We need to build something to sell to Luka and Kyrie. It would be nice to add to what we have(green/Hardy)

20 out of 30 teams make the play in/playoffs.  We have one of the top 5 players in the world and couldn't even do that.  Did everyone forget already?

Even the best case scenario (Taylor Hendricks?)...how many wins does he add next season?

I think the Mavs lose all fan interest and become the Hornets, old Kings, etc if they miss the playoffs again this year.  I know I'm not sticking around.

Would you trade Josh Green and # 10 for #8 if Whitmore fell?

RE: 2023 DRAFT: June 22 | Mavs to pick 10th - omahen - 06-20-2023

https://twitter.com/MavsFilmRoom/status/1671172877775785984

RE: 2023 DRAFT: June 22 | Mavs to pick 10th - DallasMaverick - 06-20-2023

(06-20-2023, 10:13 AM)omahen Wrote: https://twitter.com/MavsFilmRoom/status/1671172877775785984

Pinocchio's nose grows long at this time of year...

RE: Jason Terry - Scott41theMavs - 06-20-2023

(06-20-2023, 09:13 AM)RoyTarpleysGhost Wrote: 20 out of 30 teams make the play in/playoffs.  We have one of the top 5 players in the world and couldn't even do that.  Did everyone forget already?

Even the best case scenario (Taylor Hendricks?)...how many wins does he add next season?

I think the Mavs lose all fan interest and become the Hornets, old Kings, etc if they miss the playoffs again this year.  I know I'm not sticking around.

So, trade for guys on big contracts who won't be much more help than a solid rookie? Pass.

Once again, the one strength of our otherwise atrocious coach is that he can develop youngsters.

RE: Jason Terry - RoyTarpleysGhost - 06-20-2023

(06-20-2023, 10:26 AM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: So, trade for guys on big contracts who won't be much more help than a solid rookie? Pass.

Once again, the one strength of our otherwise atrocious coach is that he can develop youngsters.

Dont be dumb. Any trade requires matching outgoing salary.

Yea, the guy that benched Josh Green for Justin Holiday loves young players. Kidd wants a traditional center that can protect the rim.

RE: Jason Terry - Scott41theMavs - 06-20-2023

(06-20-2023, 11:55 AM)RoyTarpleysGhost Wrote: Dont be dumb.  Any trade requires matching outgoing salary. 

Yea, the guy that benched Josh Green for Justin Holiday loves young players.  Kidd wants a traditional center that can protect the rim.

Nearly every name mentioned as possible trade targets is meh, either not much better than we have now, or on an obnoxious albatross contract that will be even worse in the new CBA (e.g. Ayton, Collins). The talent cutoff in this draft is generally considered to be the top nine, with some teams picking above us predicted to reach beyond that top nine. 

I'm not married to the Mavs taking a player with the 10th pick, but I want them to be flexible and not just to make a dumber than dirt trade just to make a trade. The good news is that no trade can be consummated before draft day anyway due to the Stepien rule. That nearly forces them not to be dumb.

1) Get a young player on non-albatross deal (e.g. Keldon Johnson who has been mentioned) + draft capital.
2) Get several usable players. 
3) Have a trade ready to be triggered if one of the top 9 does not fall.
4) If you believe in the guy who falls, pick that guy, period.
5) If someone offers something you can't refuse for 10 even if one of those top nine fall, wonderful.
6) Have a deep and very well scouted draft board so that if you trade down, you can get someone you like.

As for your Kidd comment, I abhor him as our coach, so please don't make me defend him Tongue . Just presuming they ***have to*** trade out of 10 seems very short-sighted to me. Of course, I'm the guy who thinks they've already shit the bed by presuming they just have to keep Kyrie, when I think that's going to be a worse fit than Kidd and Jim Jackson.

RE: 2023 DRAFT: June 22 | Mavs to pick 10th - HoosierDaddyKid - 06-20-2023

https://www.espn.com/nba/insider/insider/story/_/id/37873455/projecting-all-58-picks

Latest ESPN mock as of today.

https://twitter.com/esidery/status/1671212487255924737?s=61&t=-aAylloVlVRI2-DRvoajoA

Mavs draft Lively at 10 and then buy pick in second round and draft Andre Jackson. Would they become the first team two draft two players in one draft who averaged under 7 points per game?

RE: 2023 DRAFT: June 22 | Mavs to pick 10th - Ghost of Podkolzin - 06-20-2023

Who really thinks Lively could start in the next 3 years and why do you think that?

RE: 2023 DRAFT: June 22 | Mavs to pick 10th - SweetFidelia - 06-20-2023

(06-20-2023, 09:36 AM)Chicagojk Wrote: Would you trade Josh Green and # 10 for #8 if Whitmore fell?

If you could tell me Hendricks or Walker will still be there at 10, that might be the only reason I hesitate, just because we're trading 2 for 1, and we need a lot of humans that can give us serviceable NBA minutes.  But, man.  He's got "star" written all over him.  I cannot imagine the Wizards not running to the podium as fast as possible if he's there.

(06-20-2023, 03:53 PM)Ghost of Podkolzin Wrote: Who really thinks Lively could start in the next 3 years and why do you think that?

focus on the things he is good at.   He needs to learn to set better picks, but his role on offense is to rim run.  There is a lot of open space playing with Luka.  Probably much more than playing in college.

On defense, it will take him time to learn the complicated defense strategies but you can find a role for him as he learns.

Dallas has all the scoring and the stars they need.  They need someone to rim run and then help make scoring harder for the other team.   I would think he is a 20 plus minute a player year one and potentially be fine year two.   

Lets say whoever they take at 10 may not be more than a 4th option for the next 3-4 years.   If that is the case, who can make the most impact if they are not asked to score?

Are Duren, Mark Williams and Kessler 3 years out?  lively is not 3 years development behind those.  Now will he be as good as them?  That is a different story.

(06-20-2023, 03:59 PM)SweetFidelia Wrote: If you could tell me Hendricks or Walker will still be there at 10, that might be the only reason I hesitate, just because we're trading 2 for 1, and we need a lot of humans that can give us serviceable NBA minutes.  But, man.  He's got "star" written all over him.  I cannot imagine the Wizards not running to the podium as fast as possible if he's there.

Yeah, I have seen they apparently like Black, who I really like.  But in all honesty, he is a guy you pair with a star(s).  I don't think he is a star.   

Whitmore has some of that star potential and he is a local kid.   He would be a good gamble on their first draft pick as new GM.   They have such a lengthy rebuild though.