MavsBoard
2023 DRAFT: Mavs take Lively, OMP, sign Mike Miles to 2-way, sign Jordan Walker - Printable Version

+- MavsBoard (https://www.mavsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Boards (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Dallas Mavericks and the NBA (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: 2023 DRAFT: Mavs take Lively, OMP, sign Mike Miles to 2-way, sign Jordan Walker (/showthread.php?tid=2272)

RE: 2023 DRAFT: June 22 | Mavs to pick 10th - Chicagojk - 06-16-2023

Interesting Anthony black profile from a few years ago

https://youtu.be/iU1RBVbBqts

RE: 2023 DRAFT: June 22 | Mavs to pick 10th - khaled1987 - 06-17-2023

Watching highlights and reading about prospects and mocks of the draft, this draft reminds me lot of 2017 draft (maybe becayue Mavs are picking at same range?)

The 2017 looked like top 9 were lock, with just few questions about where some of those were land, but it was kind of easy to make mick drafts back then.
Fultz was 1, Tatum was 3, Lonzo was 90% 2, Jackson, Fox were 4 and 5 for sure, after them it was Isaac and Lauri, after that Frank and DSJ.
Was considered top heavy draft at the time, but injuries has destroyed potential far better careers for Fultz, Ball & Isaac. Tatum, Fox and Lauri lived up to the hype, DSJ and Frank had too many question marks and was correctly at the end of top 9. Jackson was the clear bust from the group as he simply wasn't good enough and was top 5 pick.

This year draft, it seems another top 9 are known, all freshmen or international.
Wemby is the prize, with Scoot and Miller are rounding top 3, barring injuries it seems teams will get at least quality starting player.
After that there is Amen, Ausier and Whitemore, then come Jarrace, Hendricks as the potential lock down defenders (Isaac in 2017) and Black

My main issue with those top 9 though is that 3 of them are bad shooting wings who are good at passing and all round game, with much potential to improve.
With those, you can get the next Josh Giddey or the next Josh Jackson. And one of them will be the next Josh Jackson.
Jarrace and Hendricks seems like a safer options to me tbh, low floor with good potential. Whitemore has a lot of potential to be the Tatum of the group.

From Mavs perspective, we waited in 2017 and got the remaining 1 of the 9 top prospects, don't know if it was intentional or not as I don't know if their selection was going to be different if they were picking 6th instead. I like to believe so. But let's say they waited and ended up with the last remaining top choice.
It proved to be a mistake IMO, and they passed on much better players, largely because it was their first lottery pick in their rebuild and they wanted the highest upside guy and DSJ looked like that despite his flaws.

Six years forward, we are now 10th, and we might have the option to settle with the last one of 9 if only one team decides they will pick someone different. But this time, I would argue that the Mavs aren't under the pressure of picking based on potential and hype.
Players like Dick, Lively Wallace, Buffkin, Miller that could all fit in the team, and the potential to trade down and pick our guy is their.
All in all, I just hope we are doing our homework and we won't settle. There are different approaches that we should be comfortable with.

RE: 2023 DRAFT: June 22 | Mavs to pick 10th - DanSchwartzgan - 06-17-2023

(06-17-2023, 07:47 AM)khaled1987 Wrote: Watching highlights and reading about prospects and mocks of the draft, this draft reminds me  lot of 2017 draft (maybe becayue Mavs are picking at same range?)

The 2017 looked like top 9 were lock, with just few questions about where some of those were land, but it was kind of easy to make mick drafts back then.
Fultz was 1, Tatum was 3, Lonzo was 90% 2, Jackson, Fox were 4 and 5 for sure, after them it was Isaac and Lauri, after that Frank and DSJ.
Was considered top heavy draft at the time, but injuries has destroyed potential far better careers for Fultz, Ball & Isaac. Tatum, Fox and Lauri lived up to the hype, DSJ and Frank had too many question marks and was correctly at the end of top 9. Jackson was the clear bust from the group as he simply wasn't good enough and was top 5 pick.

This year draft, it seems another top 9 are known, all freshmen or international.
Wemby is the prize, with Scoot and Miller are rounding top 3, barring injuries it seems teams will get at least quality starting player.
After that there is Amen, Ausier and Whitemore, then come Jarrace, Hendricks as the potential  lock down defenders (Isaac in 2017) and Black

My main issue with those top 9 though is that 3 of them are bad shooting wings who are good at passing and all round game, with much potential to improve.
With those, you can get the next Josh Giddey or the next Josh Jackson. And one of them will be the next Josh Jackson.
Jarrace and Hendricks seems like a safer options to me tbh, low floor with good potential. Whitemore has a lot of potential to be the Tatum of the group.

From Mavs perspective, we waited in 2017 and got the remaining 1 of the 9 top prospects, don't know if it was intentional or not as I don't know if their selection was going to be different if they were picking 6th instead. I like to believe so. But let's say they waited and ended up with the last remaining top choice.
It proved to be a mistake IMO, and they passed on much better players, largely because it was their first lottery pick in their rebuild and they wanted the highest upside guy and DSJ looked like that despite his flaws.

Six years forward, we are now 10th, and we might have the option to settle with the last one of 9 if only one team decides they will pick someone different. But this time, I would argue that the Mavs aren't under the pressure of picking based on potential and hype.
Players like Dick, Lively Wallace, Buffkin, Miller that could all fit in the team, and the potential to trade down and pick our guy is their.
All in all, I just hope we are doing our homework and we won't settle. There are different approaches that we should be comfortable with.

Yes!

This happens every year.  Some of these so called top nine won’t make it and if one falls to Dallas it is because he’s perceived to be the worst of the bunch.  I’d put Lively in the bust potential camp also.  Tyson went #2 if I recall.  If Lively was the next TC, he wouldn’t be mocked 10-15.  There is just as much chance he’s WCS as he is Tyson.

I think we have to trust Nico (especially given the Hardy pick).  For all we know, the next Bam is there at 10 and will will still be there if we move down.

RE: 2023 DRAFT: June 22 | Mavs to pick 10th - Dirknows - 06-17-2023

It is encouraging the Mavs are working out a bunch of dudes projected to go in the 2nd...hopefully they buy a 2nd rounder again this year.

RE: 2023 DRAFT: June 22 | Mavs to pick 10th - Chicagojk - 06-17-2023

https://twitter.com/DraftExpress/status/1670062253272383488?s=20

(06-17-2023, 09:04 AM)Chicagojk Wrote: https://twitter.com/DraftExpress/status/1670062253272383488?s=20

It will be interesting if any of Bilal, Wallace, Bufkin or Dick turn into the hot prospect.  Either one or two goes before or Dallas could have some interesting trade downs if they wanted to move.  Orlando, OKC, Toronto and New Orleans seem to like similar prospects.  Maybe Dallas could move a spot or two and still get their target?

(06-17-2023, 09:04 AM)Chicagojk Wrote: https://twitter.com/DraftExpress/status/1670062253272383488?s=20

Read that Presti and Ainge both went overseas last week to see Bilal play in the playoffs.  I wonder if the mavs sent anyone over.  They should have imo.

RE: 2023 DRAFT: June 22 | Mavs to pick 10th - SwisherPrice - 06-17-2023

Is Coulibaly okay with staying overseas another year? If he is there and the Mavs find no good trades and have to take someone at 10, might as well be him if they can stash him. Keep him over there as long as possible to develop and preserve his status as an asset.

RE: 2023 DRAFT: June 22 | Mavs to pick 10th - Luka77 - 06-17-2023

If Walker drops i would take him due to having a higher floor than Bilal.  

Otherwise the next best choice would be for the Mavs to trade down pick up assests while adding Bilal.

That is my ideal for the Mavs draft night.

RE: 2023 DRAFT: June 22 | Mavs to pick 10th - loki - 06-17-2023

(06-17-2023, 02:34 PM)SwisherPrice Wrote: Is Coulibaly okay with staying overseas another year? If he is there and the Mavs find no good trades and have to take someone at 10, might as well be him if they can stash him. Keep him over there as long as possible to develop and preserve his status as an asset.

Luka might demand a trade before the season starts

RE: 2023 DRAFT: June 22 | Mavs to pick 10th - Luka77 - 06-17-2023

(06-17-2023, 02:34 PM)SwisherPrice Wrote: Is Coulibaly okay with staying overseas another year? If he is there and the Mavs find no good trades and have to take someone at 10, might as well be him if they can stash him. Keep him over there as long as possible to develop and preserve his status as an asset.

A player can now be trained, overseen and develop with an NBA training staff in the G league.  It is looked at as a more desirable option to teams, players and agents than being stashed oversees.

Fewer and fewer prospects wil be playing oversees once drafted.

Moreover, The new CBA will allow for three two way players.

RE: 2023 DRAFT: June 22 | Mavs to pick 10th - Dirknows - 06-17-2023

(06-17-2023, 10:07 AM)Chicagojk Wrote: Read that Presti and Ainge both went overseas last week to see Bilal play in the playoffs.  I wonder if the mavs sent anyone over.  They should have imo.

Hope Danny Ainge falls in love with him and takes him at 9, pushing down a prospect like Walker/Hendricks/Thompson/Black to the Mavs.

RE: 2023 DRAFT: June 22 | Mavs to pick 10th - Scott41theMavs - 06-17-2023

(06-17-2023, 03:19 PM)Dirknows Wrote: Hope Danny Ainge falls in love with him and takes him at 9, pushing down a prospect like Walker/Hendricks/Thompson/Black to the Mavs.

That's the hope.

RE: 2023 DRAFT: June 22 | Mavs to pick 10th - ThisIStheYear - 06-18-2023

Just looking back at the 2018 draft. You know, the Mavs (Cuban) nearly scuttled the Doncic trade because they (he) absolutely refused to include Wesley Matthews in the deal. You have a team on the hook to give you a potential all time great and you walk away over Wesley Matthews? The Mavs agreed to give up a future lottery pick instead to save the deal. They gave up a lottery pick instead of Wesley Freaking Matthews??? Sheer idiots. It’s not surprising they refused to extend Brunson just a few years later putting the franchise into a pretty desperate situation. With such a track record, what are the odds the Mavs get the trade right this time?

RE: 2023 DRAFT: June 22 | Mavs to pick 10th - khaled1987 - 06-18-2023

(06-18-2023, 08:13 AM)ThisIStheYear Wrote: Just looking back at the 2018 draft. You know, the Mavs (Cuban) nearly scuttled the Doncic trade because they (he) absolutely refused to include Wesley Matthews in the deal. You have a team on the hook to give you a potential all time great and you walk away over Wesley Matthews?  The Mavs agreed to give up a future lottery pick instead to save the deal.  They gave up a lottery pick instead of Wesley Freaking Matthews???  Sheer idiots.  It’s not surprising they refused to extend Brunson just a few years later putting the franchise into a pretty desperate situation. With such a track record, what are the odds the Mavs get the trade right this time?

Future first was a must include in any deal for Atlanta,  they weren't trading 3 for 5 just for Wesley. It was just a fun fan theory. Atlanta wasn't that stupid.

RE: 2023 DRAFT: June 22 | Mavs to pick 10th - RasheedsBigWhiteSpot - 06-18-2023

(06-18-2023, 09:10 AM)khaled1987 Wrote: Future first was a must include in any deal for Atlanta,  they weren't trading 3 for 5 just for Wesley. It was just a fun fan theory. Atlanta wasn't that stupid.

Wrong.  The original deal was 3 and Kent Bazemore's remaining 2yr/40mil for 5 and Wes/filler all w/ one year left.  Cuban specifically said 'no'.  Just do the pick instead.  Cuban said this at the time and it was said during TNT's draft coverage.

All too true.

RE: 2023 DRAFT: June 22 | Mavs to pick 10th - khaled1987 - 06-18-2023

(06-18-2023, 11:13 AM)RasheedsBigWhiteSpot Wrote: Wrong.  The original deal was 3 and Kent Bazemore's remaining 2yr/40mil for 5 and Wes/filler all w/ one year left.  Cuban specifically said 'no'.  Just do the pick instead.  Cuban said this at the time and it was said during TNT's draft coverage.

All too true.

Cuban said they asked for both, they negotiated it till the last minute till it reached the owners level before the draft, Atlanta gave us ultimatum at the end that they want the pick or no deal. Cuban accepted it as Donnie told him he is worth it.

RE: 2023 DRAFT: June 22 | Mavs to pick 10th - Chicagojk - 06-18-2023

I am a Lively upside guy but even I am not believing the rumors about how teams are looking to trade up for him in the top 10 or hoping he falls to 11,12,13,14.

It smells of teams either knowing or thinking Dallas may be interested in Lively and trying to scare Dallas against moving down for him. They are Hoping Dallas would take him at 10 so they get the guy they want. Just a quick take.

RE: 2023 DRAFT: June 22 | Mavs to pick 10th - Dirknows - 06-18-2023

(06-18-2023, 07:05 PM)Chicagojk Wrote: I am a Lively upside guy but even I am not believing the rumors about how teams are looking to trade up for him in the top 10 or hoping he falls to 11,12,13,14.

It smells of teams either knowing or thinking Dallas may be interested in Lively and trying to scare Dallas against moving down for him.  They are Hoping Dallas would take him at 10 so they get the guy they want.  Just a quick take.

I unfortunately just don't see Dallas taking and keeping whoever they pick at 10. I don't know what trade they end up pulling off, but they're going to do something dumb.

RE: 2023 DRAFT: June 22 | Mavs to pick 10th - Razzmatazz_Hopskidillydoo - 06-18-2023

(06-18-2023, 07:34 PM)Dirknows Wrote: I unfortunately just don't see Dallas taking and keeping whoever they pick at 10. I don't know what trade they end up pulling off, but they're going to do something dumb.

Passing on Hendricks is dumb.

But I can still understand the Mavs if they pass on him.
What I wouldn't understand is passing on Walker or Black.
Walker and Black have the talent and upside to be something more and could surpass any vet they get as early as year 2.