MavsBoard
2023 DRAFT: Mavs take Lively, OMP, sign Mike Miles to 2-way, sign Jordan Walker - Printable Version

+- MavsBoard (https://www.mavsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Boards (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Dallas Mavericks and the NBA (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: 2023 DRAFT: Mavs take Lively, OMP, sign Mike Miles to 2-way, sign Jordan Walker (/showthread.php?tid=2272)

RE: 2023 DRAFT: June 22 | Mavs to pick 10th - ThisIStheYear - 06-14-2023

(06-14-2023, 02:33 PM)Jym Wrote: He's just so old. Turns 35 the end of next season. Would be such a waste of a valuable pick

The Bojan trade is such an unbelievably stupid idea, it’s amazing a bona fide media source would even publish it. The mere existence of such a rumor indicates that the media believe the Dallas front office are a bunch of dopes. It’s embarrassing.

RE: 2023 DRAFT: June 22 | Mavs to pick 10th - SleepingHero - 06-14-2023

(06-14-2023, 06:46 PM)ThisIStheYear Wrote: The Bojan trade is such an unbelievably stupid idea, it’s amazing a bona fide media source would even publish it. The mere existence of such a rumor indicates that the media believe the Dallas front office are a bunch of dopes. It’s embarrassing.

I think we're missing a chunk of the story.

Sure THJ+10 for Bojan+31 is laughable and on the face of it such a ludicrous idea it's hard to take seriously. So that is making me believe this is a probable 3 team deal, with those pieces as a foundation.

Could there be a 3-team trade here between Dallas, Phoenix, and Detroit? 

Bojan+THJ to PHX

Ayton+Burks (or Stewart)+31 to DAL

#10+Bertans to Detroit. 

Given the history of lottery picks especially #10, Bertans is about right in terms of salary to be eaten. Detroit get their 2nd lotto pick to go with #5 and all they had to do was ship off 2 guys that don't fit the timeline at all and eat Bertans' contract.

PHX gets their 2 starters for Ayton at positions of need for Ayton and only increase their cap a modicum amount.

RE: 2023 DRAFT: June 22 | Mavs to pick 10th - dirkfansince1998 - 06-15-2023

Quote:The known list of players to have worked out with the Mavericks:
  • Kao Akobundu-Ehiogu, Memphis
  • Emoni Bates, Eastern Michigan
  • Charles Bediako, Alabama
  • Anthony Black, Arkansas
  • Kendric Davis, Memphis
  • Markise Davis, Arkansas State
  • Gradey Dick, Kansas
  • Jaylen Forbes, Tulane
  • Alex Fudge, Florida
  • Taylor Hendricks, UCF+
  • Javan Johnson, DePaul
  • Maxwell Lewis, Pepperdine
  • Alijah Martin, FAU
  • Emanuel Miller, TCU
  • Justyn Mutts, Virginia Tech
  • Landers Nolley II, Cincinnati
  • Markquis Nowell, Kansas State
  • Nick Ongenda, DePaul
  • Drew Peterson, USC
  • Craig Porter Jr., Wichita State
  • Justin Powell, Washington State
  • Antonio Reeves, Kentucky
  • Mike Sharavjamts, Dayton
  • Jordan Walker, UAB

+Scheduled

https://therookiewire.usatoday.com/lists/2023-nba-draft-workout-tracker-prospects/

RE: 2023 DRAFT: June 22 | Mavs to pick 10th - Razzmatazz_Hopskidillydoo - 06-15-2023

^That list gives me hope that the Mavs wouldn't trade the pick if either Hendricks or Black is at 10.

Dick is in there too, but I'm hoping he is there just for smokescreen.

RE: 2023 DRAFT: June 22 | Mavs to pick 10th - ItsGoTime - 06-15-2023

(06-15-2023, 12:19 AM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: https://therookiewire.usatoday.com/lists/2023-nba-draft-workout-tracker-prospects/
Interesting they didn't work out Walker. I guess he's not high on their list?

RE: 2023 DRAFT: June 22 | Mavs to pick 10th - DanSchwartzgan - 06-15-2023

(06-15-2023, 12:19 AM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: https://therookiewire.usatoday.com/lists/2023-nba-draft-workout-tracker-prospects/

3 guys mocked around 10 in Hendricks, Black and Dick.  Best I can tell, everyone else is 2-Way/G-League material with exception of:

Maxwell Lewis is a Sophomore SF projected late first
Emoni Bates is a Sophomore SF projected mid/late second
Charles Bediako is a Sophomore C from Canada projected late second.

Note all are sophomores.  Lewis and Bates are essentially long armed shooters.  Bediako is a rim rolling big who rebounds and blocks shots.  All three make some sense in the area where they are projected.  If you end up with 28, you might get Lewis or Charlotte has tons of seconds they might use to trade up and you take Bates and Bediako.  Same if you end up with 31 (Detroit rumor that no one likes).  

BTW, the Bojan/THJ rumor came up on the NBA Front Office podcast.  FWIW, they thought it was something they could see both teams doing.  I like Bojan for the next couple of years, but man.  I really hope there is something more coming back than this.  As I said elsewhere, I can see THJ and 16 (Dallas ends up with 28 and 31) or even better THJ and 28 without 31 coming back (Dallas ends up with 16).  But, 10 seems like a lot for the spread in value between Bojan and THJ.  Love the O.  Hate his age and lack of D.

RE: 2023 DRAFT: June 22 | Mavs to pick 10th - Razzmatazz_Hopskidillydoo - 06-15-2023

(06-15-2023, 01:47 AM)ItsGoTime Wrote: Interesting they didn't work out Walker. I guess he's not high on their list?

or maybe they think the chances of having Black Ant and Hendricks are there, while with Walker there isn't?

If there is a top 10 pick the Mavs aren't high on, it must be Ausar.

IMHo.. there's a good chance Ausar drops, and the Mavs might not be interested even if he did (thus he's not on the list). Very good athlete, good skills but not enough to offset his lack of shooting. Black lacks shooting too, but Black's playmaking/ballhandling are skills needed on day 1. Black can be in the rotation almost mmediately while Ausar can not.

RE: 2023 DRAFT: June 22 | Mavs to pick 10th - Mavs2021 - 06-15-2023

(06-15-2023, 02:06 AM)Razzmatazz_Hopskidillydoo Wrote: or maybe they think the chances of having Black Ant and Hendricks are there, while with Walker there isn't?

If there is a top 10 pick the Mavs aren't high on, it must be Ausar.

IMHo.. there's a good chance Ausar drops, and the Mavs might not be interested even if he did (thus he's not on the list). Very good athlete, good skills but not enough to offset his lack of shooting. Black lacks shooting too, but Black's playmaking/ballhandling are skills needed on day 1. Black can be in the rotation almost mmediately while Ausar can not.

If Washington doesn´t go into full rebuild --> Wallace
If Washington goes into full rebuild --> Ausar Thompson

RE: 2023 DRAFT: June 22 | Mavs to pick 10th - Chicagojk - 06-15-2023

(06-15-2023, 02:03 AM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: 3 guys mocked around 10 in Hendricks, Black and Dick.  Best I can tell, everyone else is 2-Way/G-League material with exception of:

Maxwell Lewis is a Sophomore SF projected late first
Emoni Bates is a Sophomore SF projected mid/late second
Charles Bediako is a Sophomore C from Canada projected late second.

Note all are sophomores.  Lewis and Bates are essentially long armed shooters.  Bediako is a rim rolling big who rebounds and blocks shots.  All three make some sense in the area where they are projected.  If you end up with 28, you might get Lewis or Charlotte has tons of seconds they might use to trade up and you take Bates and Bediako.  Same if you end up with 31 (Detroit rumor that no one likes).  

BTW, the Bojan/THJ rumor came up on the NBA Front Office podcast.  FWIW, they thought it was something they could see both teams doing.  I like Bojan for the next couple of years, but man.  I really hope there is something more coming back than this.  As I said elsewhere, I can see THJ and 16 (Dallas ends up with 28 and 31) or even better THJ and 28 without 31 coming back (Dallas ends up with 16).  But, 10 seems like a lot for the spread in value between Bojan and THJ.  Love the O.  Hate his age and lack of D.

I have no idea what consists of a draft workout.  Do they all workout?   Is it somethings just a get to know meeting?   Maybe they are overrated.  But I will be mightily disappointed if we find out after the draft that Dallas didn't have the majority of the prospects visit in the 6 to 20 range.   

It does appear they brought in a lot of probably undrafted guys.   Might be tough to bring in second rounders when you lack a late first or any second round picks.

(06-15-2023, 08:51 AM)Chicagojk Wrote: I have no idea what consists of a draft workout.  Do they all workout?   Is it somethings just a get to know meeting?   Maybe they are overrated.  But I will be mightily disappointed if we find out after the draft that Dallas didn't have the majority of the prospects visit in the 6 to 20 range.   

It does appear they brought in a lot of probably undrafted guys.   Might be tough to bring in second rounders when you lack a late first or any second round picks.

Certainly there isn't a requirement that a player has to visit in order to be drafted.  I do think Black and Hendricks are the most likely to fall to 10 depending on what Utah and Washington do.  Certainly you have to be prepared (or at least put on a show that you are prepared) if the trade-down you intend to do doesn't work out.

It is pretty obvious a 'visit' from these guys who won't be drafted is more recruitment than workout.  Everyone is going to be competing to fill out their 2-way spots and G-League rosters.

I thought the Maxwell, Bates and Bediako workouts were the most interesting.  I have a friend whose daughter was a classmate of Bediako at IMG.  In fact, I've seen them together in pictures posted on FB.  I may ask her about him if I get a chance.  

I dug into Maxwell a bit.  I can really see him being a Dallas pick.  He's a bit like Hardy was for me.  The things he does well, he does really well.  He's asked to do too much in his role at Pepperdine which impacts his effectiveness.  I thought Hardy needed to make better decisions and take the shots he's best at (and for the most part he did).  The same applies to Lewis's offensive game.  Eventually he may grow other things where he shows some promise.  But early on he can stick strictly as a catch and shoot guy who attacks closeouts and passes on the move (basically a taller and longer Josh Green).  Defensively, he has the tools, but rarely showed them.  Is that because he's saving himself for the offensive end?  If there is another gear there if he's not the primary offensive weapon (and it showed in flashes) His length would cause problems for people.  A Reggie replacement in a year?

(06-15-2023, 09:21 AM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: I dug into Maxwell a bit.   

BTW, Coach Spins has Maxwell going 19 to GSW and says he could go anywhere from late lottery to late first.  High upside player according to his commentary in his latest mock.

(06-15-2023, 09:21 AM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: Certainly there isn't a requirement that a player has to visit in order to be drafted.  I do think Black and Hendricks are the most likely to fall to 10 depending on what Utah and Washington do.  Certainly you have to be prepared (or at least put on a show that you are prepared) if the trade-down you intend to do doesn't work out.

It is pretty obvious a 'visit' from these guys who won't be drafted is more recruitment than workout.  Everyone is going to be competing to fill out their 2-way spots and G-League rosters.

I thought the Maxwell, Bates and Bediako workouts were the most interesting.  I have a friend whose daughter was a classmate of Bediako at IMG.  In fact, I've seen them together in pictures posted on FB.  I may ask her about him if I get a chance.  

I dug into Maxwell a bit.  I can really see him being a Dallas pick.  He's a bit like Hardy was for me.  The things he does well, he does really well.  He's asked to do too much in his role at Pepperdine which impacts his effectiveness.  I thought Hardy needed to make better decisions and take the shots he's best at (and for the most part he did).  The same applies to Lewis's offensive game.  Eventually he may grow other things where he shows some promise.  But early on he can stick strictly as a catch and shoot guy who attacks closeouts and passes on the move (basically a taller and longer Josh Green).  Defensively, he has the tools, but rarely showed them.  Is that because he's saving himself for the offensive end?  If there is another gear there if he's not the primary offensive weapon (and it showed in flashes) His length would cause problems for people.  A Reggie replacement in a year?

Bates would fit the big swing that would fit Nico's background.    I think it is safe to say Bates needs to improve quite a bit and change how he plays to be a longterm NBA player.    I would find it interesting if the Mavs signed Bates and drafted Lively how their youth would be rated.   For a team that we have said never had young prospects, they would have a top 3 former recruit in Hardy, a top 3 former recruit in Lively, and a guy people thought was the next KD a few years ago in Bates.

(06-15-2023, 09:21 AM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: Certainly there isn't a requirement that a player has to visit in order to be drafted.  I do think Black and Hendricks are the most likely to fall to 10 depending on what Utah and Washington do.  Certainly you have to be prepared (or at least put on a show that you are prepared) if the trade-down you intend to do doesn't work out.

It is really hard to determine what is groupthink vs what teams really think.  But it appears Walker is more in the 5-7 range now.   I was hopeful he would slip a little.   I just can't believe Black makes it to 10.   I have seen some fan mocks where he does.  I just don't see him slipping.  His play fits in todays NBA so well.

So maybe it is Hendricks, but someone needs to make a pick outside the top 9.  Certainly possible.

Vecenie has a mock today.  Walker 5, Amen Thompson 6, Hendricks 7, Black 8, Ausur Thompson 9

He has 10 being Cason Wallace but saying he has no idea if Dallas makes the pick.  11 is Gradey Dick, 12 is Coulibably, 13 is Jalen Hood Schifino, 14 is Lively.
If this is accurate, Toronto at 13 feels like an ideal trade down.    I could see them Cason Wallace fans or even Ausur if he fell.    What could you get to trade down to 13?

RE: 2023 DRAFT: June 22 | Mavs to pick 10th - PositiveLegs - 06-15-2023

Sam Vecenie posted his latest mock with intel this morning. He has Cason Wallace going at 10. Said not many league sources believe the pick will stay with Dallas and that they’re exploring all options including trading down and out. Mentioned that agency sources have said the Mavs are asking for workouts for players thought to go in the 20’s and 30’s. One last thing to note is he gave draft ranges for every player and had Taylor Hendricks and Anthony Black’s floors both at 10. Really seems like those are the two guys they would be comfortable staying at 10 with.

(06-15-2023, 09:49 AM)Chicagojk Wrote: If this is accurate, Toronto at 13 feels like an ideal trade down.    I could see them Cason Wallace fans or even Ausur if he fell.    What could you get to trade down to 13?

A June trade with Toronto would be challenging.  They are less than $1mm under the LT for the season, so taking on salary now isn't likely.  

If you hold the deal into July, it won't be someone who is a FA because of tampering.  Maybe Reggie for two seasons of Boucher?  That's just rearranging deck chairs IMHO.  Toronto doesn't have any other picks in the current draft.

RE: 2023 DRAFT: June 22 | Mavs to pick 10th - gatkins11 - 06-15-2023

"The Mavericks are considering options to move down from No. 10 into the middle of the first round, sources said, to pick up a veteran rotation piece to help support Luka Doncic and free agent-to-be Kyrie Irving. The Mavericks and Hawks, for example, discussed the idea of swapping Dāvis Bertāns and the No. 15 pick for John Collins and the No. 10 pick, sources said, although those talks do not appear to have progressed at this time."

https://sports.yahoo.com/report-warriors-exploring-kuminga-trade-183443725.html

Adding some information for the lesser known names. Skimming through scouting reports and stats.

Kao Akobundu-Ehiogu, Memphis...6´9 rim protector/rim runner. Only played 10mpg in his last college season.

Kendric Davis, Memphis...5´11 score first guard. Isaiah Thomas vibes.

Markise Davis, Arkansas State...6´8 wing defender that struggles from 3.

Jaylen Forbes, Tulane...6´5. Good shooter. Among the highest volume in all of college bball. Lacks ballhandling ability.

Alex Fudge, Florida...6´8 forward. Good defender. Terrible shooter. Didn´t get a lot of minutes in college.

Javan Johnson, DePaul...6´6 wing with 3&D potential.

Maxwell Lewis, Pepperdine...6´7 forward. Can do a little bit of everything but is at his best as a slasher/attacking the rim.

Alijah Martin, FAU...6´2 3&D guard. Not really a ballhandler.

Emanuel Miller, TCU...6´7 forward. Big body. Most likely a PF or even a small ball five in the NBA. Slowly improved his shooting range and touch over his college career.

Justyn Mutts, Virginia Tech...6´7 forward with an NBA ready body. Good athlet and on ball defender. Shooting isn´t great.

Landers Nolley II, Cincinnati...6´7 SG that made a big leap in his last college season. Over 40% from 3 on high volume. Also has some ballhandling skills. Mediocre defender.

Markquis Nowell, Kansas State 5´7 PG (even smaller than JJB). 3rd in ppg. 1st in apg in the big 12.

Nick Ongenda, DePaul...6´11 rim protector/shot blocker. Really limited on offense

Drew Peterson, USC ...6'9 pass first ballhandler. Can do a little bit of everything.

Craig Porter Jr., Wichita State...6´2 PG that finished top 3 in blks per game in the AAC. Also rebounds like a big

Justin Powell, Washington State...6´6 SG. Looking at the scouting reports he might be the best shooter in the entire draft class but he cannot do anything else.

Antonio Reeves, Kentucky...6´4 3&D guard. PatBev vibes.

Mike Sharavjamts, Dayton...6´8 point forward. Only One-and-Done on the list. Dark horse for the early/mid 2nd round.

Jordan Walker, UAB...5´11 score first guard. Highest 3-point volume in all of college bball (10.8 attempts/37.8%). Questionable competition but he lead the CUSA in scoring.

(06-15-2023, 10:31 AM)gatkins11 Wrote: "The Mavericks are considering options to move down from No. 10 into the middle of the first round, sources said, to pick up a veteran rotation piece to help support Luka Doncic and free agent-to-be Kyrie Irving. The Mavericks and Hawks, for example, discussed the idea of swapping Dāvis Bertāns and the No. 15 pick for John Collins and the No. 10 pick, sources said, although those talks do not appear to have progressed at this time."

https://sports.yahoo.com/report-warriors-exploring-kuminga-trade-183443725.html

This has been the most obvious choice with Mavs stated objectives imo.  The high salary is concerning for Collins but I think Collins is a change of scenario guy who may play better with new team.

The key is Dallas not having someone make it to 10 who they prioritize and Atlanta wanting someone who would not make it to 15.

I still think it Dallas were to trade the pick or move down that Collins and Ayton are the type of caliber of player.  Not O’Neal or Olynyk level of players.

(06-15-2023, 10:32 AM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: Drew Peterson, USC ...6'9 pass first ballhandler. Can do a little bit of everything.

Intriguing.

Wouldn't mind if the Mavs somehow end up with a mid to late second round pick and use it on this guy.
Or at least, give him a summer league spot if he goes undrafted.

(06-15-2023, 11:45 AM)Razzmatazz_Hopskidillydoo Wrote: Intriguing.

Wouldn't mind if the Mavs somehow end up with a mid to late second round pick and use it on this guy.
Or at least, give him a summer league spot if he goes undrafted.

A somewhat competitive summer league roster would be a big improvement.