MavsBoard
2023 DRAFT: Mavs take Lively, OMP, sign Mike Miles to 2-way, sign Jordan Walker - Printable Version

+- MavsBoard (https://www.mavsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Boards (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Dallas Mavericks and the NBA (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: 2023 DRAFT: Mavs take Lively, OMP, sign Mike Miles to 2-way, sign Jordan Walker (/showthread.php?tid=2272)

RE: 2023 DRAFT: June 22 | Mavs to pick 10th - Chicagojk - 05-20-2023

Pretty good measurables for Wallace

https://twitter.com/DraftExpress/status/1659896907882217474

Not sure how he defends in the NBA, but I think Edey is being slept on. Much more than people think.

https://twitter.com/DraftExpress/status/1659681980076654592

RE: 2023 DRAFT: June 22 | Mavs to pick 10th - ThisIStheYear - 05-20-2023

(05-19-2023, 04:03 PM)Chicagojk Wrote: https://twitter.com/MavsDraft/status/1659589202672074756

LOL he mentions Dallas pick likely paired with Bertans and McGee to bring in immediate help.  Unbelievable....need to devalue the 10th pick to move two guys your new front office targeted.  One as your MLE and the other because he would be easier to move than KP.    If that is their thinking...I am out.

Honestly, resetting the payroll wouldn’t be the worst use of the #10 pick.  I’d do something like this: Bertans, McGee, and #10 to the Spurs for Bassey (an intriguing, young, and cost controlled big), #33, and #44. I’d let Wood and Powell walk. If I could dump THJ, Bullock, and Maxi, I’d do that too, just couldn’t figure out how. Trade Machine wouldn’t let me put more salary into the San Antonio trade. It’s unreal. The Mavs seemingly have an unending supply of useless, highly paid players. If we could just get rid of all of the ridiculous bloat, I’d feel much better about the future. The outlook for this team with all of these overpriced, aging vets is bleak.  They’ve got to go.

Best of all, since I live in San Antonio’s regional market, if Operation Fresh Start fails, I can just switch my allegiance to the Spurs in three years when they inevitably pair Wemby with Luka. That #10 pick will be coming into his own too. I’ll be able to root for a well run, championship team, while saving $250 a year in League Pass costs.  It’s all upside for me.

RE: 2023 DRAFT: June 22 | Mavs to pick 10th - dirkfansince1998 - 05-20-2023

(05-20-2023, 07:30 AM)Chicagojk Wrote: Not sure how he defends in the NBA, but I think Edey is being slept on.  Much more than people think.

He really worked on his body. Slimmed down and improved his mobilty. Not sure if that is enough. The ability to defend in space will decide his future in the NBA.

RE: 2023 DRAFT: June 22 | Mavs to pick 10th - Mavs2021 - 05-20-2023

(05-20-2023, 07:30 AM)Chicagojk Wrote: Not sure how he defends in the NBA, but I think Edey is being slept on.  Much more than people think.

No way. Look how he runs on his dunks. Now imagine this full-court. That will never translate.

RE: 2023 DRAFT: June 22 | Mavs to pick 10th - Luka77 - 05-20-2023

Even though its better than anytime during the season, he still moves like he is stuck in molasses.  He is going to have a hard time staying with NBA level athletes.  

I could see him being a situational bench big but at what cost.

Conflicting reports about Miller.

https://twitter.com/On3sports/status/1658636336062947329

Woj:

"They are finding a young man who they say is mature, focused, who’s character and his habits are actually an asset in their evaluation of him."

https://twitter.com/TheNBACentral/status/1659292007213199372

Jonathan Givony from ESPN:

"His interviews have not been great, I've been told. Both publicly and privately with NBA teams."

"He's not in great shape right now. So I don't know how great his workout is going to be"

What is going on. Teams already playing games? Would anyone be suprised if #2 or #3 is getting traded? Maybe even for each other. Another Fultz-Tatum scenario?

RE: 2023 DRAFT: June 22 | Mavs to pick 10th - Mavs2021 - 05-20-2023

(05-20-2023, 12:15 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: Conflicting reports about Miller.

https://twitter.com/On3sports/status/1658636336062947329

Woj:

"They are finding a young man who they say is mature, focused, who’s character and his habits are actually an asset in their evaluation of him."

https://twitter.com/TheNBACentral/status/1659292007213199372

Jonathan Givony from ESPN:

"His interviews have not been great, I've been told. Both publicly and privately with NBA teams."

"He's not in great shape right now. So I don't know how great his workout is going to be"

What is going on. Teams already playing games? Would anyone be suprised if #2 or #3 is getting traded? Maybe even for each other. Another Fultz-Tatum scenario?

Very easy explanation:

Woj: Miller impressed the Charlotte Hornets with his maturity, focus and character during the interviewing process.
Givony: Hornets told Miller after their interview that they are committed to drafting him. Miller is not in great shape right now.He´s in a bad place.

Big Grin Big Grin

RE: 2023 DRAFT: June 22 | Mavs to pick 10th - HAguiar95 - 05-20-2023

Now that we got our pick, I'd be pretty happy with keeping it and drafting whoever's left (assuming top-4 is Vic/Scoot/Amen/Miller) at #10 and not trading down. I think everyone of them has something to add to our squad that would be awesome (I rank them as the follow):

1) Cam Whitmore (PF): Great athlete that I envision being the 3rd option behind Luka/Kyrie. Very good at absorbing contact and quick to shake bigger bodies.

2) Ausar Thompson (SF): Elite athleticism that could cover our SF position long-term and be a plus defender, also his playmaking skills are pretty decent already.

3) Taylor Hendricks (PF): Good vertical leaper and shot blocker that shot 40% from deep this season. Could also be a small-ball 5.

4) Cason Wallace (PG): Excellent help defender and great on-ball that played on and off the ball at Kentucky.

5) Jarace Walker (PF): Nice lateral movement to defend in isolation and great body already.

6) Anthony Black (SF): Great playmaking skill and the best on-ball defender on the draft.

I know we need to fill the PF/C void, but trading down or out I feel is such a downgrade/waste of talent in this excelent class. These 6 guys will be difference makers.

IMO we need to find players that we wouldn't be sending picks (just old fillers like Hardaway/Bertans/Bullock/Kleber/McGee) for (Harris/Valanciunas/Nurkic/Gafford) to help short-term but don't give up on the long-term.

RE: 2023 DRAFT: June 22 | Mavs to pick 10th - DanSchwartzgan - 05-20-2023

(05-20-2023, 05:33 PM)HAguiar95 Wrote: Now that we got our pick, I'd be pretty happy with keeping it and drafting whoever's left (assuming top-4 is Vic/Scoot/Amen/Miller) at #10 and not trading down. I think everyone of them has something to add to our squad that would be awesome (I rank them as the follow):

1) Cam Whitmore (PF): Great athlete that I envision being the 3rd option behind Luka/Kyrie. Very good at absorbing contact and quick to shake bigger bodies.

2) Ausar Thompson (SF): Elite athleticism that could cover our SF position long-term and be a plus defender, also his playmaking skills are pretty decent already.

3) Taylor Hendricks (PF): Good vertical leaper and shot blocker that shot 40% from deep this season. Could also be a small-ball 5.

4) Cason Wallace (PG): Excellent help defender and great on-ball that played on and off the ball at Kentucky.

5) Jarace Walker (PF): Nice lateral movement to defend in isolation and great body already.

6) Anthony Black (SF): Great playmaking skill and the best on-ball defender on the draft.

I know we need to fill the PF/C void, but trading down or out I feel is such a downgrade/waste of talent in this excelent class. These 6 guys will be difference makers.

IMO we need to find players that we wouldn't be sending picks (just old fillers like Hardaway/Bertans/Bullock/Kleber/McGee) for (Harris/Valanciunas/Nurkic/Gafford) to help short-term but don't give up on the long-term.

I think that’s a nice description of each of them.  If we are willing to consider Wallace (some aren’t), then #10 if a nice spot to be.

Do you give Nico any credit for what he did with Hardy.  The kid showed no discernible ability from deep.  Now he’s a 40% shooter from 3 in the NBA.  I’m really torn.  If I absolutely know the kid who drops to #10 was going to be a stud, I’m with you.  Alternatively, if Hardy wasn’t a fluke of luck, might we give Nico a little rope to see if he can find someone just as good as the guy who falls to 10 AND accomplish some other things simultaneously?

(05-20-2023, 07:47 PM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: I think that’s a nice description of each of them.  If we are willing to consider Wallace (some aren’t), then #10 if a nice spot to be.

Do you give Nico any credit for what he did with Hardy.  The kid showed no discernible ability from deep.  Now he’s a 40% shooter from 3 in the NBA.  I’m really torn.  If I absolutely know the kid who drops to #10 was going to be a stud, I’m with you.  Alternatively, if Hardy wasn’t a fluke of luck, might we give Nico a little rope to see if he can find someone just as good as the guy who falls to 10 AND accomplish some other things simultaneously?

Wallace is tough for me.  His defensive highlights looks spectacular.  He also has a nice compact stroke and moves well.  He just makes this team really small.  He definitely should be in consideration after 8 if his health checks out.

I think him, Walker and Black all make winning non scoring plays.  They just do it differently in different body types.  But in ways we need.

(05-20-2023, 08:30 PM)Chicagojk Wrote: Wallace is tough for me.  His defensive highlights looks spectacular.  He also has a nice compact stroke and moves well.  He just makes this team really small.  He definitely should be in consideration after 8 if his health checks out.

I think him, Walker and Black all make winning non scoring plays.  They just do it differently in different body types.  But in ways we need.

Looking at guards from Kentucky...

2015 Booker 13th
2016 Murray 7th
2017 Fox 5th
2017 Monk 11th
2018 SGA 11th
2019 Herro 13th
2020 Maxey 21st
2020 Quickley 25th
2022 Sharpe 7th
2022 Washington Jr 29th

Incredible hit rate.

RE: 2023 DRAFT: June 22 | Mavs to pick 10th - ThisIStheYear - 05-21-2023

(05-20-2023, 05:33 PM)HAguiar95 Wrote: Now that we got our pick, I'd be pretty happy with keeping it and drafting whoever's left (assuming top-4 is Vic/Scoot/Amen/Miller) at #10 and not trading down. I think everyone of them has something to add to our squad that would be awesome (I rank them as the follow):

I’d go the opposite way. Instead of taking the guy who’s falling, the leftover, I’d take the guy who’s rising up from the 20s, who’s flashed some skills and has freakish physical dimensions and/or quickness for his position but for whom expectations may be anchored too much for him to get quite as high as he should.  In this draft, I think that player is Leonard Miller.  Or, I’d trade out and just try to dump as much salary as possible.

RE: 2023 DRAFT: June 22 | Mavs to pick 10th - Razzmatazz_Hopskidillydoo - 05-21-2023

I'd like to keep the pick.
If Hendricks, Whitmore, Black, Walker is there, the Mavs need to keep it.

But its too obvious to me that the Mavs would trade it.

And the trade partner could be Detroit.
Yes they have a higher pick, but it doesn't mean they don't want another one.

Pistons were reportedly willing to take in Bertans in exchange for a first rounder. If they are willing to do that, then I would think they be more than happy if Mavs throw-in THJ. Speaking of THJ, I remember Detroit has interest in him from the past. THJ in theory, replaces Bogi's offensive punch should they ship out Bogi and get him instead.

Hayes has improved, but is it enough for the Pistons to retain him when his rookie deal is up? Hayes can't shoot, but he is a good defender that would be an upgrade over Frankie as Hayes has better PG skills. And this trade happens before the Kyrie thing. Hayes gives the Mavs a capable backup PG if Kyrie bolts or at least a third playmaker who can actually defend from 1 to 3.

Bogi is a trade asset for Detroit, nobody expects him to be part of the future. Bogi should be able to appease Luka (and maybe Kyrie) for the time being.

Stewart is being moved to PF after playing C. He is asked to shoot from 3, but his current percentages aren't ideal. On the Mavs, Stewart would be the starting C capable of firing away from 3 if need be. He doesn't need to be an over 35% shooter like what Detroit would want him to be, on the Mavs he just needs to be capable. On the Mavs his role would be to provide the Mavs with some inside presence and physicality. Shooting is just a very good bonus.

Trade would be:

Stewart + Bogi + Hayes + 31

for THJ + McGee + 10.
Mavs can swap the parts with any of Bullock, Bertans and even a SNT Wood (Maybe he would like going back to Detroit? and the Pistons would too? Only time I could see Wood happily working with a SNT).

Question is:
Can the Mavs and the Pistons announce a trade after the Spurs take on VW?
Pistons can combine 5 and 10 to get to 2 and pick Brandon Miller.
IMHo, Miller would be the best fit for Detroit, because right now, a stretch big is what they are lacking, and Miller is that and more.

JamesConway912 - JamesConway912 - 05-21-2023

(05-21-2023, 12:19 AM)ThisIStheYear Wrote: I’d go the opposite way. Instead of taking the guy who’s falling, the leftover, I’d take the guy who’s rising up from the 20s, who’s flashed some skills and has freakish physical dimensions and/or quickness for his position but for whom expectations may be anchored too much for him to get quite as high as he should.  In this draft, I think that player is Leonard Miller.  Or, I’d trade out and just try to dump as much salary as possible.

Dump salary and then what? You still won’t have caproom. To get the full MLE instead of the taxpayer one? That’s 
barely anything of value roster building wise. With the Mavs track record we know that they aren’t good at FA anyway so they‘d probably just blew it on another terrible signing.

Just draft BPA, develop the kid and see where you are in 12 months. Pretending like there’s a quick fix for another half decade of amateurish roster building will only make things worse in the longrun. Most likely they’d just burn through the pick with another trade along the lines of the Wood-/Delon- trade.

Yuck.

RE: 2023 DRAFT: June 22 | Mavs to pick 10th - ItsGoTime - 05-21-2023

(05-21-2023, 01:29 AM)Razzmatazz_Hopskidillydoo Wrote: I'd like to keep the pick.
If Hendricks, Whitmore, Black, Walker is there, the Mavs need to keep it.

But its too obvious to me that the Mavs would trade it.

And the trade partner could be Detroit.
Yes they have a higher pick, but it doesn't mean they don't want another one.

Pistons were reportedly willing to take in Bertans in exchange for a first rounder. If they are willing to do that, then I would think they be more than happy if Mavs throw-in THJ. Speaking of THJ, I remember Detroit has interest in him from the past. THJ in theory, replaces Bogi's offensive punch should they ship out Bogi and get him instead.

Hayes has improved, but is it enough for the Pistons to retain him when his rookie deal is up? Hayes can't shoot, but he is a good defender that would be an upgrade over Frankie as Hayes has better PG skills. And this trade happens before the Kyrie thing. Hayes gives the Mavs a capable backup PG if Kyrie bolts or at least a third playmaker who can actually defend from 1 to 3.

Bogi is a trade asset for Detroit, nobody expects him to be part of the future. Bogi should be able to appease Luka (and maybe Kyrie) for the time being.

Stewart is being moved to PF after playing C. He is asked to shoot from 3, but his current percentages aren't ideal. On the Mavs, Stewart would be the starting C capable of firing away from 3 if need be. He doesn't need to be an over 35% shooter like what Detroit would want him to be, on the Mavs he just needs to be capable. On the Mavs his role would be to provide the Mavs with some inside presence and physicality. Shooting is just a very good bonus.

Trade would be:

Stewart + Bogi + Hayes + 31

for THJ + McGee + 10.
Mavs can swap the parts with any of Bullock, Bertans and even a SNT Wood (Maybe he would like going back to Detroit? and the Pistons would too? Only time I could see Wood happily working with a SNT).

Question is:
Can the Mavs and the Pistons announce a trade after the Spurs take on VW?
Pistons can combine 5 and 10 to get to 2 and pick Brandon Miller.
IMHo, Miller would be the best fit for Detroit, because right now, a stretch big is what they are lacking, and Miller is that and more.
If you swap THJ with Bertans, I like the deal. We can then do the THJ for Brooks deal and have a decent team on the court next season.

RE: 2023 DRAFT: June 22 | Mavs to pick 10th - Chicagojk - 05-22-2023

The prospect highlights are so tricky because they typically give you their best moments. With that being said, I have liked what I have seen of Kobe Bufkin. Probably not a Mavs target, but wouldn’t surprise me to see him go higher than most have him right now. Some do have them in the 10-15 range. Maybe it is the lefty thing…but taller Nick the Quick?

RE: 2023 DRAFT: June 22 | Mavs to pick 10th - juanc - 05-22-2023

(05-22-2023, 06:21 AM)Chicagojk Wrote: The prospect highlights are so tricky because they typically give you their best moments.  With that being said, I have liked what I have seen of Kobe Bufkin.  Probably not a Mavs target, but wouldn’t surprise me to see him go higher than most have him right now.  Some do have them in the 10-15 range. Maybe it is the lefty thing…but taller Nick the Quick?

Bufkin will be a great player in the league IMO. His game kind of reminds me of Norman Powell, he doesn't need the ball in his hands(to be the 1st or 2nd option) in order to score much points. Bufkin projects to be a good/great defender. I have him top12 right now.

Oh and a guy I would love to get on this Mavs team. His game really reminds me of DFS. DFS was nice yall, but it's time to make room for OMP! Big Grin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tUr6hBbBM-w&t=498s

RE: 2023 DRAFT: June 22 | Mavs to pick 10th - Chicagojk - 05-22-2023

(05-22-2023, 06:59 AM)juanc Wrote: Bufkin will be a great player in the league IMO. His game kind of reminds me of Norman Powell, he doesn't need the ball in his hands(to be the 1st or 2nd option) in order to score much points. Bufkin projects to be a good/great defender. I have him top12 right now.

Oh and a guy I would love to get on this Mavs team. His game really reminds me of DFS. DFS was nice yall, but it's time to make room for OMP! Big Grin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tUr6hBbBM-w&t=498s

I would like to get an understanding why that Michigan team was not better.  They had good talent.  Was it a chemistry thing?   I agree that 10-15 is probably good for Bufkin.    Really weird that Jonathan Wasserman from Bleacher report has him going 30 now.   I believe that will be off.  

OMP supposedly looks to be a late first or early second now, but I agree he looks the part.  Marquette had another guy I really liked, but he decided to stay.   I will say even if the Mavs buy a second round pick, I will be greatly disappointed if the Mavs are not aggressive on the UDFA market.   Last year, Memphis picked up two really interesting UDFA guys despite having 3 picks in the draft.   They guy Dallas picked up after the draft couldn't even make the G-league squad.

RE: 2023 DRAFT: June 22 | Mavs to pick 10th - ItsGoTime - 05-22-2023

(05-22-2023, 09:52 AM)Chicagojk Wrote:  I would like to get an understanding why that Michigan team was not better.  They had good talent.  Was it a chemistry thing?   I agree that 10-15 is probably good for Bufkin.    Really weird that Jonathan Wasserman from Bleacher report has him going 30 now.   I believe that will be off.  

OMP supposedly looks to be a late first or early second now, but I agree he looks the part.  Marquette had another guy I really liked, but he decided to stay.   I will say even if the Mavs buy a second round pick, I will be greatly disappointed if the Mavs are not aggressive on the UDFA market.   Last year, Memphis picked up two really interesting UDFA guys despite having 3 picks in the draft.   They guy Dallas picked up after the draft couldn't even make the G-league squad.
I’m really hoping that’s why they’re working out these late to no pick projected guys. I agree with Dan, the Hardy pick makes me think there might be something there with Nico (or is it Finley coming into his own when given some room?).