MavsBoard
2023 DRAFT: Mavs take Lively, OMP, sign Mike Miles to 2-way, sign Jordan Walker - Printable Version

+- MavsBoard (https://www.mavsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Boards (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Dallas Mavericks and the NBA (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: 2023 DRAFT: Mavs take Lively, OMP, sign Mike Miles to 2-way, sign Jordan Walker (/showthread.php?tid=2272)

RE: 2023 DRAFT: June 22 - ItsGoTime - 05-17-2023

(05-17-2023, 10:46 AM)Nowitzki Way Wrote: 3. Trade down - Do this to acquire a veteran(or offload salary) and still keep a pick for a player you can develop.

I've seen the idea of trading with Atlanta at 15 and somehow getting Capela or maybe even Collins. Then using 15 as your developmental option. I see that as a sweet spot for Lively, Miller, GG Jackson, Hood-Schifino, or Sensabaugh.

Trading down blends the two ideas. i think its likely we can get the same type of player in 15 range that we could get at 10. As long as one of those long athletic wins dont slip. As Chicago pointed, we havent had one of those in forever. If the top guys are gone, it would be nice to trade. But of course it takes two to tango.
I think one of the long athletic wings slipping gives more worth to the trade down approach. If there is no slip, and what is left is truly what you said, we can get the same type player at 15 as at 10, other teams will know that too. 

The more perceived advantage a trade up gets a team, the more likely they will “overspend”. On this team, we have so many holes to fill. Getting 2-3 players to fill those holes is better than 1 IMO. I get the cost controlled great player out of the draft mantra. I’m just more in favor of this trade down approach. 

We also worked out Emoni Bates, makes it look like a play to get into the second round again.

RE: 2023 DRAFT: June 22 - Ghost of Podkolzin - 05-17-2023

(05-17-2023, 11:20 AM)Mavs2021 Wrote: This. Kessler was the 22nd pick. Anyone here want to argue he was not better than Powell or McGee last season already? Let alone how good he´ll be going forward.

And how many big man busts have there been 1st-22nd?  It's easy to Monday morning QB it, but examples like Kessler are not the norm, otherwise he would have been a top 5 pick.

RE: 2023 DRAFT: June 22 - dirkfansince1998 - 05-17-2023

(05-17-2023, 11:24 AM)Ghost of Podkolzin Wrote: And how many big man busts have there been 1st-22nd?  It's easy to Monday morning QB it, but examples like Kessler are not the norm, otherwise he would have been a top 5 pick.

Refusing to play the game isn´t the solution. Mavs won´t get out of their current predicament if they continue to ignore the draft. That´s how we got to this point. Steady loss of assets. Turning picks into vets. Losing value.

RE: 2023 DRAFT: June 22 - StrandedOnBeauboisHill - 05-17-2023

(05-17-2023, 11:15 AM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: You probably have to tell me who the center is going to be before we can decide this (you know, as much as message board guys can ‘decide’ anything).

Where I’m coming from is last year’s #4, a much older Keegan Murray, did plug into a starting slot and held it.  Sacramento was tailor made for plugging in a rookie.  If you told me we somehow got Turner or Claxton or Ayton without giving up #10, then I could see it.  If we have to settle for a lesser center while keeping our pick, I’d submit we would bring the rookie PF along slowly much like we did with Hardy.

Luka can start at PF and allow two wing defenders (Green and Reggie) to start with Irving and a C.  Alternatively, Maxi could start and the youngster be brought off the bench and earn more and more minutes over time.  Morris would be the safety valve if the rookie is overmatched early.  Might someone like Black start by late in the season?  Maybe.  I’d probably go back to the idea that the ability to start the rookie may depend on the quality of center starting next to them.  An older and more highly coveted Keegan is probably the exception, not the rule.

I agree with the line of thinking and if we don't get someone who is a true anchor at center you're probably right in terms of how this would be handled.  The one thing I would still point out is that whoever we get at 10 has a good chance at being a talent upgrade over someone like Reggie who has shown some decline but I'm pretty confident that Kidd would not agree with me there.

RE: 2023 DRAFT: June 22 - ItsGoTime - 05-17-2023

(05-17-2023, 11:15 AM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: Luka can start at PF and allow two wing defenders (Green and Brooks) to start with Irving and a C.
FifY. 

Kyrie/Green/Brooks/Luka/Defensive C

Spread those 2 lesser defenders out!

RE: 2023 DRAFT: June 22 - Nowitzki Way - 05-17-2023

(05-17-2023, 11:21 AM)ItsGoTime Wrote: I think one of the long athletic wings slipping gives more worth to the trade down approach. If there is no slip, and what is left is truly what you said, we can get the same type player at 15 as at 10, other teams will know that too. 

The more perceived advantage a trade up gets a team, the more likely they will “overspend”. On this team, we have so many holes to fill. Getting 2-3 players to fill those holes is better than 1 IMO. I get the cost controlled great player out of the draft mantra. I’m just more in favor of this trade down approach. 

We also worked out Emoni Bates, makes it look like a play to get into the second round again.

True. Having Walker or Hendricks on the board, gives the spot much higher value and increases incentive for a team to trade up.

Just not sure i'm willing to give up one of those guys. Depending on what the trade is.

And i'm right there with you on the Emoni Bates point. The leaks on our workouts have all been 2nd round type guys. I hope they have a plan to play around in that 2nd round again.

(05-17-2023, 11:29 AM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: Refusing to play the game isn´t the solution. Mavs won´t get out of their current predicament if they continue to ignore the draft. That´s how we got to this point. Steady loss of assets. Turning picks into vets. Losing value.

Agreed, but the expectation shouldn't be Kessler.  We chose Larkin over the Greek Freak.  An extraordinary example, worse than Kessler, but extraordinary shouldn't be the expectation.

RE: 2023 DRAFT: June 22 - Mavs2021 - 05-17-2023

(05-17-2023, 11:41 AM)Ghost of Podkolzin Wrote: Agreed, but the expectation shouldn't be Kessler.  We chose Larkin over the Greek Freak.  An extraordinary example, worse than Kessler, but extraordinary shouldn't be the expectation.

Best three Mavs players of last decade: Drafted. Drafted. Drafted. Case closed. You want a difference maker, you draft it.

(05-17-2023, 11:53 AM)Mavs2021 Wrote: Best three Mavs players of last decade: Drafted. Drafted. Drafted. Case closed. You want a difference maker, you draft it.

You're arguing extraordinary over eff ups.  OF COURSE, CAPT OBVIOUS.  My point is that with this pick at 10 you have to hedge your bet either on upside or immediate production.  Hardy last year shows us the FO has the ability to see upside.  Problem is this roster needs immediate production.  Do you go with the most production now or the most upside?

RE: 2023 DRAFT: June 22 - omahen - 05-17-2023

(05-17-2023, 11:53 AM)Mavs2021 Wrote: You want a difference maker, you draft it.

And they did...

But the destiny of any contender is to slowly turn picks into vets. Show me an example of a team that is not like that. Mavs totally botched 4 seasons of building around Luka, which unfortunately leaves them with few options. There was time to slowly build, draft, even add assets. Mavs didn't do that or failed doing it. Now the only hope left is to nail a couple of vet pieces to contend.

RE: 2023 DRAFT: June 22 - RoyTarpleysGhost - 05-17-2023

repost

RE: 2023 DRAFT: June 22 - ThisIStheYear - 05-17-2023

Mavs need to avoid pack mentality and go their own way. Draft a long, athletic player with two way potential. Avoid the NCAA players at the spot they’re at. Go young. Leonard Miller and Coulibaly seem best to me. They’re not seen as sure fire lottery yet, but I expect they’ll rise quickly.

RE: 2023 DRAFT: June 22 - Chicagojk - 05-17-2023

Cato on his podcast said he thinks it is more likely Dallas trades the pick. Enjoyable listen but I disagree that it is a fact that one of the wings is not at 10. I think there is decent odds one makes it to 10. In fact, I wouldn't be shocked if two of them make it to 10. It just takes one team to take Dick or Wallace for at least one to slip. And you can't discount the out of left field draft pick.

I also disagree with picks 9-15 being lumped together and 10 being a bad spot. That may be the thought process on the exterior, but uncertainly creates opportunity. Last year I thought Duren slipped further than he should and Jalen Williams went earlier than he should have and he turned out to be a stud.

Cato also mentioned that he thought Dick is not someone who the Mavs would have interest in. Not sure if he was reporting this or just speculating.

I am not against trading the pick, but I prefer keeping it for now. I do agree with them if they do move it, I would focus on a guy on his rookie deal. I am just not comfortable adding a third high salary player with little else around them. I think it just leaves you too exposed...especially down the road. That is why I am proposing a Walker, Reid pairing. Then you have Green, Hardy, Walker, Reid all under 23. Heck throw a flier at Trevor Keels as your 15th spot. There is good opportunity for internal growth there. It is not a contender next year but you set yourself with expiring contracts and a future first to move to get the piece you think you are missing.

RE: 2023 DRAFT: June 22 - MarkAguirreWrathofGod - 05-17-2023

I looked at Miller and Couibaly more after they were mentioned and my god they were right about Couibaly’s fluidity. That guy is smooth as butter. Moves like buttery elk. And his shot motion looks fairly consistent and fluid too. 7’3 wingspan. Very impressed!

Miller looks a lot like Lamar Odom, although NOT as fluid, not as lithe and not the defender or shooter (yet). I think the thing with him is will his shooting improve (he does this weird leg kick thing from deep) and who will he defend? I’m less high on him, though I can see the appeal. 

Would love Walker but don’t think he’ll slip. Whitmore same. I think I probably like Hendricks less than most. Very “straight line” guy ala DFS at this point. Not much in the way of handles or vision.

(05-17-2023, 12:06 PM)Ghost of Podkolzin Wrote: You're arguing extraordinary over eff ups.  OF COURSE, CAPT OBVIOUS.  My point is that with this pick at 10 you have to hedge your bet either on upside or immediate production.  Hardy last year shows us the FO has the ability to see upside.  Problem is this roster needs immediate production.  Do you go with the most production now or the most upside?

You always make it sound like the Mavs hit significant contributors just because it comes with "has been in the league for a few years"-tag. Cause I can´t really see much in this bank. Am I supposed to be impressed by the turnout of Powell, McGee, Bertans, THJ, Wood, Morris?

They only have the MLE. What makes you think they don´t end up with another Richardson, Wright, McGee or dozens of other glorious ideas? Is the 25th pick from last year any worse than air, cause that´s what is left of that IMMEDIATE PRODUCTION. Dodgy

This team sucks a** at free agency and trades. The most successful season they had in the last decade was build on four players they drafted or signed as undrafted rookies. Their championship was led by a drafted player and the crucial piece that pushed them over the top was a SL walk-on.

Yet for 30 years Mark Cuban is trying to sell us the exact opposite as a strategy to success.

(05-17-2023, 12:45 PM)Chicagojk Wrote: Cato on his podcast said he thinks it is more likely Dallas trades the pick.  Enjoyable listen but I disagree that it is a fact that one of the wings is not at 10.  I think there is decent odds one makes it to 10.  In fact, I wouldn't be shocked if two of them make it to 10.  It just takes one team to take Dick or Wallace for at least one to slip.  And you can't discount the out of left field draft pick. 

I also disagree with picks 9-15 being lumped together and 10 being a bad spot.  That may be the thought process on the exterior, but uncertainly creates opportunity.  Last year I thought Duren slipped further than he should and Jalen Williams went earlier than he should have and he turned out to be a stud. 

Cato also mentioned that he thought Dick is not someone who the Mavs would have interest in.  Not sure if he was reporting this or just speculating. 

I am not against trading the pick, but I prefer keeping it for now.  I do agree with them if they do move it, I would focus on a guy on his rookie deal.  I am just not comfortable adding a third high salary player with little else around them.  I think it just leaves you too exposed...especially down the road.  That is why I am proposing a Walker, Reid pairing.  Then you have Green, Hardy, Walker, Reid all under 23.  Heck throw a flier at Trevor Keels as your 15th spot.  There is good opportunity for internal growth there.  It is not a contender next year but you set yourself with expiring contracts and a future first to move to get the piece you think you are missing.

The Cato podcast was really weird.  Was very clear that he was not up on these draft prospects at all but more than willing to speak in some weird absolutes on the matter.  They basically said the top 9 was set in stone and then 9-20 is all parity.  So strange.

(05-17-2023, 02:18 PM)StrandedOnBeauboisHill Wrote: The Cato podcast was really weird.  Was very clear that he was not up on these draft prospects at all but more than willing to speak in some weird absolutes on the matter.  They basically said the top 9 was set in stone and then 9-20 is all parity.  So strange.

Furthermore it pretty much seems like a 10+1. It´s always the same 10 plus Cason Wallace. It´s actully 11 or 12 that you don´t want to pick at. That´s where the parity starts.  Given that usually at least one team will reach/deviate from the consensus, I think it´s fair to assume that two of the projected top 10 will be there at #10.

RE: 2023 DRAFT: June 22 - Chicagojk - 05-17-2023

(05-17-2023, 12:59 PM)MarkAguirreWrathofGod Wrote: I looked at Miller and Couibaly more after they were mentioned and my god they were right about Couibaly’s fluidity. That guy is smooth as butter. Moves like buttery elk. And his shot motion looks fairly consistent and fluid too. 7’3 wingspan. Very impressed!

Miller looks a lot like Lamar Odom, although NOT as fluid, not as lithe and not the defender or shooter (yet). I think the thing with him is will his shooting improve (he does this weird leg kick thing from deep) and who will he defend? I’m less high on him, though I can see the appeal. 

Would love Walker but don’t think he’ll slip. Whitmore same. I think I probably like Hendricks less than most. Very “straight line” guy ala DFS at this point. Not much in the way of handles or vision.

I am unfamiliar with Couibaly as well, but I agree I watched a few highlights and he looks pretty impressive.  

Maybe the Mavs should draft him and Mark could say he was the best player on his team in France Smile

(05-17-2023, 03:13 PM)Mavs2021 Wrote: Furthermore it pretty much seems like a 10+1. It´s always the same 10 plus Cason Wallace. It´s actully 11 or 12 that you don´t want to pick at. That´s where the parity starts.  Given that usually at least one team will reach/deviate from the consensus, I think it´s fair to assume that two of the projected top 10 will be there at #10.

Yeah, I think it is weird to say the top 9 is set in stone.   Maybe it is, but it is far from a given.  Heck, the Mavs top 10 may look vastly different than the current rankings by the draft gurus rankings now.

(05-17-2023, 03:13 PM)Mavs2021 Wrote: Furthermore it pretty much seems like a 10+1. It´s always the same 10 plus Cason Wallace. It´s actully 11 or 12 that you don´t want to pick at. That´s where the parity starts.  Given that usually at least one team will reach/deviate from the consensus, I think it´s fair to assume that two of the projected top 10 will be there at #10.

Ya definitely feels that way.  To Chicago's point, really just takes Dick or Cason Wallace to go in the top 10 and one of those wings will be there for us.  Hendricks, Walker, Whitmore and Black would all be good fits and all seem like pretty high floor guys to me.  Hell I've even seen mocks that have the lesser twin all the way down at 10.

It was just a pretty uninformed conversation which usually isn't the case with his podcasts.  I feel like the LockedOn guys really miss the mark on trade and draft stuff and now I'm kind of out on Cato's draft stuff after hearing that.

RE: 2023 DRAFT: June 22 - IamDougieFresh - 05-17-2023

(05-17-2023, 09:03 AM)haveitall Wrote: Jalen Williams who was picked 12th.

Cool